Low level format on laptop HD

HP Pavilion
40 GB Hitachi HD
WinXP

I used the Madboot disk (www.madboot.com) to do a low level format of my
hard drive. The reason for this was my HD failed the S.M.A.R.T.
diagnostic test and I'd recently been getting several I/O and delayed
write errors in WinXP SP 1. It's been almost 24 hours and the progress
is only at 7%. Is this normal?

Format never takes more than 1 hour per platter. Use the Hitachi diagnostic
format instead.

In article <marymary105-819636.15191303072004@nyctyp01-ge0.rdc-nyc.rr.com>,
Chu-Chu <marymary105@hotmail.com> wrote:
>HP Pavilion
>40 GB Hitachi HD
>WinXP
>
>I used the Madboot disk (www.madboot.com) to do a low level format of my
>hard drive. The reason for this was my HD failed the S.M.A.R.T.
>diagnostic test and I'd recently been getting several I/O and delayed
>write errors in WinXP SP 1. It's been almost 24 hours and the progress
>is only at 7%. Is this normal?

It's dead, Jim.

If the disk is on warranty, you should get one for free, if not
it's time to get a new one.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

joeP

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Chu-Chu" <marymary105@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> HP Pavilion
> 40 GB Hitachi HD
> WinXP
>
> I used the Madboot disk (www.madboot.com) to do a low level format of my
> hard drive. The reason for this was my HD failed the S.M.A.R.T.
> diagnostic test and I'd recently been getting several I/O and delayed
> write errors in WinXP SP 1. It's been almost 24 hours and the progress
> is only at 7%. Is this normal?

What makes you think SMART errors will go away after 'low-level-formatting'?

--
Joep

"Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> wrote in message news:227f5$40e722da$3eddca68$28928@nf1.news-service-com...
> "Chu-Chu" <marymary105@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:marymary105-819636.15191303072004@nyctyp01-ge0.rdc-nyc.rr.com...
> > HP Pavilion
> > 40 GB Hitachi HD
> > WinXP
> >
> > I used the Madboot disk (www.madboot.com) to do a low level format of
> > my hard drive. The reason for this was my HD failed the S.M.A.R.T.
> > diagnostic test and I'd recently been getting several I/O and delayed
> > write errors in WinXP SP 1. It's been almost 24 hours and the progress
> > is only at 7%. Is this normal?
>
> What makes you think SMART errors will go away after 'low-level-formatting'?

If the SMART errors are about bad sectors then it sure might.

> --
> Joep

joeP

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message

> > What makes you think SMART errors will go away after
'low-level-formatting'?

> If the SMART errors are about bad sectors then it sure might.

I wasn't asking you. Anyway, I was fishing if OP knows the actual attributes
exceeding threshold, which seems pretty relevant.

--
Joep

"Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> wrote in message news:7957b$40e876a5$3eddca68$21992@nf1.news-service-com
> "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message news:2kqt91F5e6mdU2@uni-berlin.de...
> > >
> > > What makes you think SMART errors will go away after 'low-level-formatting'?
> >
> > If the SMART errors are about bad sectors then it sure might.
> >

> I wasn't asking you.

What makes you think it was meant for you?

"F'Nut" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
> "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> wrote in message
> > "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message

> > > If the SMART errors are about bad sectors then it sure might.
> > >

> > I wasn't asking you.
>
> What makes you think it was meant for you?

Guess, ouwehoer.

--
Joep