Does this type of digital camera exist?

I have a desktop PC running XP Home SP1. It has six USB 2.0 ports.
Sometime next month, I'd like to purchase a decent-quality digital camera,
preferably in the $150-250 range.

Are there digital cameras you can buy that don't require any software
installation? Desired scenario: I take the photos, plug the camera into the
USB port, upload the images, and use my computer's default photo application
(I'm not even sure what it is) to view the photos I just snapped. Is that
possible? I know with USB flash drives you don't need to install any
software, except with Windows 98. Of course, a digital camera is a bit more
complicated.
11 answers Last reply
More about does type digital camera exist

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:26:23 GMT, "History Fan"
    <IHateSPam!!@IhateSPAm.com> wrote:

    > I have a desktop PC running XP Home SP1. It has six USB 2.0 ports.
    >Sometime next month, I'd like to purchase a decent-quality digital camera,
    >preferably in the $150-250 range.
    >
    > Are there digital cameras you can buy that don't require any software
    >installation? Desired scenario: I take the photos, plug the camera into the
    >USB port, upload the images, and use my computer's default photo application
    >(I'm not even sure what it is) to view the photos I just snapped. Is that
    >possible? I know with USB flash drives you don't need to install any
    >software, except with Windows 98. Of course, a digital camera is a bit more
    >complicated.

    window XP recognizes most new cameras, just plug into the U.S.B port
    and bango.

    rw

    YES SONY CAMERAS DO THE BELOW

    "History Fan" <IHateSPam!!@IhateSPAm.com> wrote in message
    > I have a desktop PC running XP Home SP1. It has six USB 2.0 ports.
    > Sometime next month, I'd like to purchase a decent-quality digital camera,
    > preferably in the $150-250 range.
    >
    > Are there digital cameras you can buy that don't require any software
    > installation? Desired scenario: I take the photos, plug the camera into
    the
    > USB port, upload the images, and use my computer's default photo
    application
    > (I'm not even sure what it is) to view the photos I just snapped. Is that
    > possible? I know with USB flash drives you don't need to install any
    > software, except with Windows 98. Of course, a digital camera is a bit
    more
    > complicated.

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:26:23 GMT, "History Fan"
    <IHateSPam!!@IhateSPAm.com> wrote:

    > I have a desktop PC running XP Home SP1. It has six USB 2.0 ports.
    >Sometime next month, I'd like to purchase a decent-quality digital camera,
    >preferably in the $150-250 range.
    >
    > Are there digital cameras you can buy that don't require any software
    >installation? Desired scenario: I take the photos, plug the camera into the
    >USB port, upload the images, and use my computer's default photo application
    >(I'm not even sure what it is) to view the photos I just snapped. Is that
    >possible? I know with USB flash drives you don't need to install any
    >software, except with Windows 98. Of course, a digital camera is a bit more
    >complicated.

    My fuji works just fine when I plug in the USB cable to XP. However,
    my HP735 doesn't let me download using the cable. My printer has
    built in slots for memory cards so I have to use that or else load the
    HP software.

    I find the software very convenient so I suggest that as first
    choice. It creates directories automatically and empties the memory
    card after unloading. Very nice.

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:26:23 GMT, "History Fan" wrote:

    >I have a desktop PC running XP Home SP1. It has six USB 2.0 ports.
    >Sometime next month, I'd like to purchase a decent-quality digital camera,
    >preferably in the $150-250 range.
    >
    > Are there digital cameras you can buy that don't require any software
    >installation? Desired scenario: I take the photos, plug the camera into the
    >USB port, upload the images, and use my computer's default photo application
    >(I'm not even sure what it is) to view the photos I just snapped. Is that
    >possible? I know with USB flash drives you don't need to install any
    >software, except with Windows 98. Of course, a digital camera is a bit more
    >complicated.

    Just get a card-reader that reads the kind of memory card you will
    use in your new digital camera, and you will be able to use it the
    way you described.

    You can copy the pictures off the memory card manually to wherever
    you desire on your harddrive(s) without using anything but the
    built-in (Microsoft) Explorer.

    This approach will work very well if you get a (multi-format/) 6-in-1
    reader that covers "your" memory card type.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    In article <PVDGc.48$wX6.30@fe1.columbus.rr.com>, IHateSPam!!
    @IhateSPAm.com says...
    > Are there digital cameras you can buy that don't require any software
    > installation?

    I have a Casio Exilim ZX-40. It comes with a cradle. When the camera is
    in the cradle I can press a button on the cradle that connects the camera
    to the USB port just as if it were a regular card reader. Then I copy off
    the pictures or view them right from the camera as if the card were in a
    separate card reader. No software is required. It came with some software
    but I don't use it.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    > Are there digital cameras you can buy that don't require any software
    > installation?

    Most cameras work this way on XP.

    Malcolm
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Like they all said above yes... Win.XP has everything you need for a Dig/Cam
    Just use your USB cable and all will be well.
    You will need some kind of Picture editing software though...

    "Malcolm" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Are there digital cameras you can buy that don't require any
    software
    > > installation?
    >
    > Most cameras work this way on XP.
    >
    > Malcolm

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Win.XP has everything you need for a Dig/Cam
    > Just use your USB cable and all will be well.
    > You will need some kind of Picture editing software though...

    Doesn't XP have its own picture editing software? Or would I need to
    download a 3rd party program? I already have IrfanView installed. Not sure
    how well that would work with a digital camera.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Irfan View would be good, that's an excellent freeware program. Win.XP
    in itself doesn't have any Editing progs. unless the PC came with one
    already installed..
    From my own experience, I think you'll Eventually want something better
    though, as all Editing programs are not equal..

    > Win.XP has everything you need for a Dig/Cam
    > > Just use your USB cable and all will be well.
    > > You will need some kind of Picture editing software though...
    > >

    > Doesn't XP have its own picture editing software? Or would I need
    > download a 3rd party program? I already have IrfanView installed. Not
    sure
    > how well that would work with a digital camera.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 07:40:04 -0500, Grant Robertson
    <BOGUS@BOGUS.INVALID> wrote:

    >In article <PVDGc.48$wX6.30@fe1.columbus.rr.com>, IHateSPam!!
    >@IhateSPAm.com says...
    >> Are there digital cameras you can buy that don't require any software
    >> installation?

    Yes Aiptek's Megacam 3 will. Just connect the USB cable turn it on and
    select any non photo mode and your CF card is seen as an external
    Storage device for upload/download pics and any data...

    MG

    www.aiptek.de
    **REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending!!
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    The camera will probably come with some sort of photo editing software.
    I'm not familiar with Infranview, but it should do whatever it does with
    the camera pics just fine. Some cameras come with the card reader and that
    is the way to go. They are cheap..........

    "History Fan" <IHatESpaM@IHateSPAm.com> wrote in

    > Win.XP has everything you need for a Dig/Cam
    >> Just use your USB cable and all will be well.
    >> You will need some kind of Picture editing software though...
    >>

    > Doesn't XP have its own picture editing software? Or would I
    > need to
    > download a 3rd party program? I already have IrfanView installed.
    > Not sure how well that would work with a digital camera.

Cameras Windows XP Peripherals