Video capture device not recognised

Hi, I'm trying to capture video using ieee / firewire connection on XP from a Sony DCR TRV 50 camcorder. I'm a novice I can find no recogition on the computer that the device is connected....ie Device manager. If i connect with USB I have no problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David, see no ilink just below.
Graham