Imminent hd failure?

in my event viewer..

The driver has detected that device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has predicted that
it will fail. Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk
drive. A failure may be imminent.

First I have 5 drives and I have no idea which one windows is complaining
about. I do have 1 maxtor 80gig on a promise tx2 controller that has been
freezing up the system of late, probably due to heat because when I run the
maxtor full diagnostic on it, it found 0 errors. So.. it's probably another
drive. I've run a full scan on 1 ibm hd and quick tests on the other 3
drives and none show any problems. I have a fan blowing over my hds since
then but last night another one of these warnings appeared again. Searching
google it seems only "\Device\Harddisk0\DR0" is the only name windows
gives.. I haven't seen any HardDisk1 or DR1. There is only 1 thing I havent
tried yet, which is run the western digital diagonistic on the WD drive I
have, but for some reason the floppy won't boot their boot disk and I've
tried many boot disks. Is that warning above even useful at all?
8 answers Last reply
More about imminent failure

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 01:42:17 GMT, "Monster"
    <do.not.email@yo.mamas.hairy.ass.com> wrote:

    >First I have 5 drives and I have no idea which one windows is complaining
    >about.

    Step 1: disconnect that Maxtor drive. If the problem goes away, it's
    time to retire that drive. If you still get the same error message,
    that rules out the Maxtor drive. Move on to the next hard drive and
    disconnect them until the error message stops coming up.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

    "Monster" <do.not.email@yo.mamas.hairy.ass.com> wrote in message
    > in my event viewer..
    >
    > The driver has detected that device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has predicted
    that
    > it will fail. Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk
    > drive. A failure may be imminent.
    >

    > First I have 5 drives and I have no idea which one windows is complaining
    > about. I do have 1 maxtor 80gig on a promise tx2 controller that has been
    > freezing up the system of late, probably due to heat because when I run
    the
    > maxtor full diagnostic on it, it found 0 errors.

    Anything that freezing up a system due to heat is a sure sign of imminent
    failure.

    > So.. it's probably another
    > drive.

    Huh?

    > I've run a full scan on 1 ibm hd and quick tests on the other 3
    > drives and none show any problems. I have a fan blowing over my hds since
    > then but last night another one of these warnings appeared again.
    Searching
    > google it seems only "\Device\Harddisk0\DR0"

    That's likely your boot drive.

    > is the only name windows
    > gives.. I haven't seen any HardDisk1 or DR1. There is only 1 thing I
    havent
    > tried yet, which is run the western digital diagonistic on the WD drive I
    > have, but for some reason the floppy won't boot their boot disk and I've
    > tried many boot disks. Is that warning above even useful at all?

    Yah, it's gonna fail.

    nm I think I found my problem. Using aida to view the SMART data, the
    "relocated sector count" is flagged and the drive is predicting an immenent
    failure for the 80gig maxtor. Damn.. warranty expired in feb.

    In article <nz6Gc.721072$Ar.690483@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>,
    Monster <do.not.email@yo.mamas.hairy.ass.com> wrote:
    >nm I think I found my problem. Using aida to view the SMART data, the
    >"relocated sector count" is flagged and the drive is predicting an immenent
    >failure for the 80gig maxtor. Damn.. warranty expired in feb.
    >
    >"Monster" <do.not.email@yo.mamas.hairy.ass.com> wrote in message
    >> in my event viewer..
    >>
    >> The driver has detected that device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has predicted
    >that
    >> it will fail. Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk
    >> drive. A failure may be imminent.
    >>

    >> First I have 5 drives and I have no idea which one windows is complaining
    >> about. I do have 1 maxtor 80gig on a promise tx2 controller that has been
    >> freezing up the system of late, probably due to heat because when I run
    >the
    >> maxtor full diagnostic on it, it found 0 errors. So.. it's probably
    >another
    >> drive. I've run a full scan on 1 ibm hd and quick tests on the other 3
    >> drives and none show any problems. I have a fan blowing over my hds since
    >> then but last night another one of these warnings appeared again.
    >Searching
    >> google it seems only "\Device\Harddisk0\DR0" is the only name windows
    >> gives.. I haven't seen any HardDisk1 or DR1. There is only 1 thing I
    >havent
    >> tried yet, which is run the western digital diagonistic on the WD drive I
    >> have, but for some reason the floppy won't boot their boot disk and I've
    >> tried many boot disks. Is that warning above even useful at all?

    Just Curious; Did you get any sort of a popup message, or just an
    event log entry ?

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------

    "Monster" <do.not.email@yo.mamas.hairy.ass.com> wrote:

    > nm I think I found my problem. Using aida to view the SMART data, the
    > "relocated sector count" is flagged and the drive is predicting an immenent
    > failure for the 80gig maxtor. Damn.. warranty expired in feb.

    Clone the drive ASAP if you want to keep the data. For cloning SW check
    www.resq.co.il/resq.php

    Regards, Zvi
    --
    NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com www.ivi.co.il (Hebrew)
    InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities

    > nm I think I found my problem. Using aida to view the SMART data, the
    > "relocated sector count" is flagged and the drive is predicting an immenent
    > failure for the 80gig maxtor. Damn.. warranty expired in feb.

    Would you mind to tell me where to download this aida viewer?

    --
    .~. Might, Courage, Vision. In Linux We Trust.
    / v \ http://www.linux-sxs.org

    On 5 Jul 2004 15:07:29 +0800, toylet <toylet@hotpop.com> wrote:

    >> nm I think I found my problem. Using aida to view the SMART data, the
    >> "relocated sector count" is flagged and the drive is predicting an immenent
    >> failure for the 80gig maxtor. Damn.. warranty expired in feb.
    >
    >Would you mind to tell me where to download this aida viewer?

    Just get Everest 110 from the guys who did AIDA32.
    http://www.lavalys.com/

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    > Just Curious; Did you get any sort of a popup message, or just an
    > event log entry ?

    only event log entries

Storage