PIO mode

Does the hardware involved check for errors during data transfer?

--
.~. Might, Courage, Vision. In Linux We Trust.
/ v \ http://www.linux-sxs.org

In article <slrncehq7i.6j5.toylet@server.donkeyware.org>,
toylet@hotpop.com says...
> Does the hardware involved check for errors during data transfer?

A CRC is computed for each packet of data. If it doesn't match, an error
is flagged and passed to the software. I believe it's up to the
software/drive firmware to figure out what to do next (usually retry a few
times.) I believe UDMA33 and higher have more aggressive error correction
and retries.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross

"Andrew Rossmann" <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in message

> A CRC is computed for each packet of data. If it doesn't match, an error
> is flagged and passed to the software. I believe it's up to the
> software/drive firmware to figure out what to do next (usually retry a few
> times.) I believe UDMA33 and higher have more aggressive error correction
> and retries.

All UDMA modes have CRC, and PIO/DMA have none.

In article <ccbqp1016cs@enews1.newsguy.com>, ericgisin@graffiti.net
says...
> "Andrew Rossmann" <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > A CRC is computed for each packet of data. If it doesn't match, an error
> > is flagged and passed to the software. I believe it's up to the
> > software/drive firmware to figure out what to do next (usually retry a few
> > times.) I believe UDMA33 and higher have more aggressive error correction
> > and retries.
> >
> All UDMA modes have CRC, and PIO/DMA have none.

I guess it depends on what level everyone is talking about. There has
always been a CRC stored on the drive and it's checked when it reads the
data. If there are too many retry failures, it passes a failure code to
the controller. Back in the MFM/RLL/ESDI days, that was done on a card
separate from the drive, so you did sort-of check the integrity of the
signal in the cabling. With IDE, it's all built-into the drive, so before
UDMA33, it was assumed the data traveling on the cable always made it
through with no error. It's also why the 80-wire cable was required for
UDMA66 to give better shielding.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross

Previously toylet <toylet@hotpop.com> wrote:
> Does the hardware involved check for errors during data transfer?

Neither for transfer nor for commands. PIO is completely unprotected
on the bus.

Arno

"Andrew Rossmann" <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in message news:MPG.1b5399a9652114b2989a12@news.comcast.giganews.com
> In article <ccbqp1016cs@enews1.newsguy.com>, ericgisin@graffiti.net
> says...
> > "Andrew Rossmann" <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > A CRC is computed for each packet of data. If it doesn't match, an error
> > > is flagged and passed to the software. I believe it's up to the
> > > software/drive firmware to figure out what to do next (usually retry a few
> > > times.) I believe UDMA33 and higher have more aggressive error correction
> > > and retries.
> > >
> > All UDMA modes have CRC, and PIO/DMA have none.
>
> I guess it depends on what level everyone is talking about.

Simple: "Does the hardware involved check for errors during *data transfer*?"

> There has always been a CRC stored on the drive

Nope.

> and it's checked when it reads the data.

That's an ECC.