Powershot S1 IS or FinePix S7000

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

After a new camera and these two are the last on my shortlist. It will be
mainly used for aviation photography at airshows etc, Here's my main
dilemma. The Cannon has a 10x optical zoom and 3mp while the Fuji falls
short at 6x optical zoom but 6mp.

Does the higher resolution of the Fuji even out the Canons superior zoom ?

Cheers

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"Nick" <No@Thanks.com> wrote in message news:a%EGc.566$sq.6167679@news-text.cableinet.net...
> After a new camera and these two are the last on my shortlist. It will be
> mainly used for aviation photography at airshows etc, Here's my main
> dilemma. The Cannon has a 10x optical zoom and 3mp while the Fuji falls
> short at 6x optical zoom but 6mp.
>
> Does the higher resolution of the Fuji even out the Canons superior zoom ?

Only you can answer that question. Do you need 6MP images?

If you're planning on creating large poster-sized images go for
the Fuji. Otherwise get the Canon.

Rick

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> "Nick" <No@Thanks.com> wrote in message
> > After a new camera and these two are the last on my shortlist. It will
be
> > mainly used for aviation photography at airshows etc, Here's my main
> > dilemma. The Cannon has a 10x optical zoom and 3mp while the Fuji falls
> > short at 6x optical zoom but 6mp.
> >
> > Does the higher resolution of the Fuji even out the Canons superior zoom
?

> Only you can answer that question. Do you need 6MP images?
>
> If you're planning on creating large poster-sized images go for
> the Fuji. Otherwise get the Canon.
>
> Rick

Rick I'd read that the Fuji would be better for actions shots. As I said I
would be taking pictures of aircraft travelling at considerable speed ! I've
also heard that the canons viewfinder freezez when the shutter is pressed.
This would be poor for aircraft shots. I was thinking that the higher res
of the fuji would make up for the lesser zoo.

Don't know if it will help, but I"ve got the S5000, and it works great
for aviation pics, I can imagine the S7000 would look even better.
The only reason I haven't opted for the 7000 is like you said, the 6X
vs 10X optical. Although the digital zoom works pretty good, it's
still not the same as the optical zoom. I've got a friend who has a
7000, he loves it.

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 23:39:16 GMT, Name withheld by request <none@none.com>
wrote:

>Don't know if it will help, but I"ve got the S5000, and it works great
>for aviation pics, I can imagine the S7000 would look even better.
>The only reason I haven't opted for the 7000 is like you said, the 6X
>vs 10X optical. Although the digital zoom works pretty good, it's
>still not the same as the optical zoom. I've got a friend who has a
>7000, he loves it.
>

>On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:40:22 GMT, "Nick" <No@Thanks.com> wrote:
>
>>After a new camera and these two are the last on my shortlist. It will be
>>mainly used for aviation photography at airshows etc, Here's my main
>>dilemma. The Cannon has a 10x optical zoom and 3mp while the Fuji falls
>>short at 6x optical zoom but 6mp.
>>
>>Does the higher resolution of the Fuji even out the Canons superior zoom ?
>>
>>Cheers

Don't forget the Canon's Image Stabilation feature. Unless one uses a tripod
with the Fuji the Canon could make for sharper images.

Jack Mac

Malcolm

> After a new camera and these two are the last on my shortlist. It will be
> mainly used for aviation photography at airshows etc, Here's my main
> dilemma. The Cannon has a 10x optical zoom and 3mp while the Fuji falls
> short at 6x optical zoom but 6mp.
>
> Does the higher resolution of the Fuji even out the Canons superior zoom ?

Did you consider the Olympus 750, 765 or 770?

Malcolm

Nick...I've just gone thru all of this with the 10x zooms, and finally
settled on the Kodak DX 6490...4mp & 10x zoom. Great Camera and easy to use.
Have a look at it, I'm sure you'll like it...

"Nick" <No@Thanks.com> wrote in message
> After a new camera and these two are the last on my shortlist. It will be
> mainly used for aviation photography at airshows etc, Here's my main
> dilemma. The Cannon has a 10x optical zoom and 3mp while the Fuji falls
> short at 6x optical zoom but 6mp.
>
> Does the higher resolution of the Fuji even out the Canons superior zoom ?
>
> Cheers

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for all the advice. Finaly went for the S7000 with a 1.5
Teleconverter. Now comes the hard bit. Learning how to use the bloody thing
!

"Nick" <No@Thanks.com> wrote in message
> After a new camera and these two are the last on my shortlist. It will be
> mainly used for aviation photography at airshows etc, Here's my main
> dilemma. The Cannon has a 10x optical zoom and 3mp while the Fuji falls
> short at 6x optical zoom but 6mp.
>
> Does the higher resolution of the Fuji even out the Canons superior zoom ?
>
> Cheers

Nice camera.

I've noticed lots of blury shots lately with my zoom. So I went back
to the drawing board by taking my dog and camera out and practicing
'squeezing' off a couple of hundred zoom shots. Amazing how much
clearer my shots were after the 'class'. Still, you are going to
need a tripod handy if you use 10x or greater in other than bright
light.

In article <a%EGc.566$sq.6167679@news-text.cableinet.net>, No@Thanks.com
(Nick) wrote:

> It will be mainly used for aviation photography

I've had an S1 IS for a month or so now and I had hoped it might be useful
for action photography. But although it's a great camera for the money, I
would not be comfortable using it in any situation that requires quick
reactions. The EVF makes it hard to be sure of focus, and the lag can be
considerable unless you run as close to fully manual mode as possible.

I'm not saying shooting moving aircraft will be impossible, but I know
from my SLR experience that the difference between "just another photo"
and something satisfying is often much less than a second. The IS, while a
lovely bit of kit, will fail under these circumstances. But then so will
anything other than decent dSLR kit. I *had* intended to buy a Panasonic
FZ10, and while that has many of the same problems all "middle range"
cameras have, it does have a very nice (if still problematic EVF-wise)
burst mode which could -- with a little luck and skill -- be much more
useful in fast moving situations.

The S1's only real advantage is the 640x480 movie mode, which eats CF card
space but will at least ensure capture of key moments.

All in all, the more I use the S1 the more I realise I need... ok, want a
proper dSLR. The flexibility and creativity potential of the S1 is huge,
but the lag and EVF focus problems are a fairly large pair of Achilles
heels. However the S1 has reawakened my enjoyment of photography and the
search for that illusive "perfect" picture. So I certainly don't regret
the purchase.

Andrew McP

andrew.mcp@dsl.pipex.com (Andrew MacPherson) wrote in message news:<memo.20040708204745.2416B@address_disguised.address_disguised>...

> All in all, the more I use the S1 the more I realise I need... ok, want a
> proper dSLR. The flexibility and creativity potential of the S1 is huge,
> but the lag and EVF focus problems are a fairly large pair of Achilles
> heels. However the S1 has reawakened my enjoyment of photography and the
> search for that illusive "perfect" picture. So I certainly don't regret
> the purchase.

On a DSLR with a 1.6 focal length multiplier, you'd need a 237 mm lens
to equal the highest zoom available on the S1. And a 263 mm lens to
compare to the Panasonic FZ10.

That's a pretty big lense to carry around. If you want to buy the
Canon "L" lens, it will set you back more money than the entire cost
of one of the FZ10 or S1.

These Big Zoom digicams seem like pretty useful tools for a specific
purpose (which involves having a big zoom in a small package).

In article <d07edc6d.0407111343.55347269@posting.google.com>,
gordongekko222@yahoo.com (Gordon Gekko) wrote:

> These Big Zoom digicams seem like pretty useful tools for a specific
> purpose (which involves having a big zoom in a small package).

Oh, I agree. If the S1 had better autofocus and an EVF with twice the
resolution I'd be very happy indeed. But the EVF and unreliability of
the autofocus are big hurdles for me at the moment. I will no doubt learn
to live with them, because the equivalent sSLR kit -- as you point out --
would cost a fortune and be far less portable.

Andrew McP

TRENDING THREADS