Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Microsoft Receives Quantum Computing Patent

Last response: in News comments
November 11, 2011 5:10:33 PM

The fact that you can patent something before its been developed and works is sickening. The whole patent system is inefficient and is hurting the consumer.
Score
November 11, 2011 5:14:30 PM

ZeknichovThe fact that you can patent something before its been developed and works is sickening. The whole patent system is inefficient and is hurting the consumer.

I agree, but hopefully this will destroy Linux and Mac OS :D 
Score
Related resources
Anonymous
November 11, 2011 5:19:15 PM

This is pathetic. Patents are the best way to hinder innovation.
Score
November 11, 2011 5:24:23 PM

@ eno5 - That would not be your same attitude if someone stole or copied something you are working on. If anything, this helps innovation by setting a standard base to work from, instead of multiple people working on the same process in different ways to get the same results.
Score
November 11, 2011 5:36:54 PM

Microsoft are not actively engaged in producing working quantum computing devices. They never will be.
Are research students / groups the world over now more likely to put in years of effort to realise a technolgy that microsoft already has the patents for or are they more likely to just think 'f**k it dude, let's go bowling'?
Score
November 11, 2011 5:40:20 PM

amk-aka-PhantomI agree, but hopefully this will destroy Linux and Mac OS

How is Linux and Mac OS relevant to quantum computing? What sets apart quantum computing from standard computers in mainly transistors (and the fact that quantum computers use quantum mechanic principles).

Score
November 11, 2011 5:45:35 PM

I wonder if I can patent the patent process... this way, I can get a royalty on any one wishing to apply for a nonsense patent and not feel so bad when I read money grabs like this. It's sick to think this kind of patent system exists! :( 
Score
November 11, 2011 5:55:34 PM

AbdullahGHow is Linux and Mac OS relevant to quantum computing? What sets apart quantum computing from standard computers in mainly transistors (and the fact that quantum computers use quantum mechanic principles).

They're not, because that MS patent will keep them away from it for good.

Wow, lots of Linux fanboys on Tom's recently! What are you doing here? :D  Core 2 Duo is enough for toying with your OS, you don't need Tom's content ;) 

stuart72Microsoft are not actively engaged in producing working quantum computing devices. They never will be. Are research students / groups the world over now more likely to put in years of effort to realise a technolgy that microsoft already has the patents for or are they more likely to just think 'f**k it dude, let's go bowling'?

But they will make an OS to work with them. And of course they don't want some open source BS to steal their profits! Besides, research WILL be done, whether they want it or not; Asia, or example, doesn't care about patents and copyrights at all, 90% of all software here is pirated. And it gets work done :) 
Score
Anonymous
November 11, 2011 6:03:11 PM

Interesting, especially seeing as I work along side some of the biggest minds in quantum computing.
Score
November 11, 2011 6:10:18 PM

amk-aka-PhantomThey're not, because that MS patent will keep them away from it for good.Wow, lots of Linux fanboys on Tom's recently! What are you doing here? Core 2 Duo is enough for toying with your OS, you don't need Tom's content

I know MacOS is annoying, but give open source programs their due! Without open source stuff we'd be in a pretty shitty world...and Linux does have its advantages.

amk-aka-PhantomBesides, research WILL be done, whether they want it or not; Asia, for example, doesn't care about patents and copyrights at all, 90% of all software here is pirated. And it gets work done

+10^6 :D 

Though the fact that software is pirated so much lets PC game make devs lame excuses... :( 
Score
November 11, 2011 6:12:12 PM

amk-aka-PhantomThey're not, because that MS patent will keep them away from it for good.Wow, lots of Linux fanboys on Tom's recently! What are you doing here? Core 2 Duo is enough for toying with your OS, you don't need Tom's content But they will make an OS to work with them. And of course they don't want some open source BS to steal their profits! Besides, research WILL be done, whether they want it or not; Asia, or example, doesn't care about patents and copyrights at all, 90% of all software here is pirated. And it gets work done

Never used Linux bro. The irony here is that your a Windows fanboy, so any comment that you refer to someone else as a Linux fanboy is invalid and void. Now, get of your computer before your mommy finds you saying bad things in the internet.
Score
Anonymous
November 11, 2011 6:19:36 PM

You obviously never went to school to learn proper grammar. YOU'RE not your.

And Linux as a desktop OS will never breach 5% market share, less it can barely hit 2%.

Problem with open source for the general consumer? There's a bunch of nerds who make 400 different variations of the SAME THING and think that's what is going to drive people to using the product.

I've heard many times from people trying to get into Linux that the worst experience was when they go into a forum to ask for beginners help and they're pretty much told to screw off and they shouldn't be playing with it if they don't know it.

The community is a bunch of pissed off nerds who hate MS, yet they can't all band together to create a decent OS for a general user.
Score
November 11, 2011 6:25:18 PM

AbdullahG said:
Never used Linux bro. The irony here is that your a Windows fanboy, so any comment that you refer to someone else as a Linux fanboy is invalid and void. Now, get of your computer before your mommy finds you saying bad things in the internet.

I could advise the same to you... what a pathetic ruse :D 

ojas said:
I know MacOS is annoying, but give open source programs their due! Without open source stuff we'd be in a pretty shitty world...and Linux does have its advantages.

+10^6 :D 

Though the fact that software is pirated so much lets PC game make devs lame excuses... :( 

Open source on Windows = WIN. Open source on Linux = FAIL. Even Firefox is half-assed there. Linux is cool, I work with it all the time, but keep it away from home desktops.
Score
November 11, 2011 6:31:23 PM

J SteveYou obviously never went to school to learn proper grammar. YOU'RE not your.And Linux as a desktop OS will never breach 5% market share, less it can barely hit 2%.Problem with open source for the general consumer? There's a bunch of nerds who make 400 different variations of the SAME THING and think that's what is going to drive people to using the product.I've heard many times from people trying to get into Linux that the worst experience was when they go into a forum to ask for beginners help and they're pretty much told to screw off and they shouldn't be playing with it if they don't know it.The community is a bunch of pissed off nerds who hate MS, yet they can't all band together to create a decent OS for a general user.

You sound mad, my friend. This is the internet. If it pisses you off that people make grammatical mistakes, you do not belong here. If you are a general user, Windows is fine for you. No one is forcing you into Linux. I personally do not use Linux as it doesn't work well with all hardware, and that Windows is enough for me. Why switch? Depending on what you are finding difficult, you can simple do a quick Google search on the topic or even look up a beginner's guide for Linux. What I find annoying is that Linux-as you claim-are a bunch of MS hating nerds (if you are implying "nerd" is an insult, I question why you are here), yet it seems as though the Windows community is becoming just as shallow and obnoxious as the Linux community.
Score
November 11, 2011 6:31:26 PM

Quote:
You obviously never went to school to learn proper grammar. YOU'RE not your.

And Linux as a desktop OS will never breach 5% market share, less it can barely hit 2%.

Problem with open source for the general consumer? There's a bunch of nerds who make 400 different variations of the SAME THING and think that's what is going to drive people to using the product.

I've heard many times from people trying to get into Linux that the worst experience was when they go into a forum to ask for beginners help and they're pretty much told to screw off and they shouldn't be playing with it if they don't know it.

The community is a bunch of pissed off nerds who hate MS, yet they can't all band together to create a decent OS for a general user.

As much as I disrespect Linux for different things, I've actually never witnessed a problem with beginners being flamed. And I check forums a lot, because... well, because it's Linux :D 

And they actually put it as an advantage... 400 distros, find the one you like :)  What?! X doesn't work? But of course no! Change to Fedora/Ubuntu/Debian/Ubuntu/Mint/openSUSE/CentOS/and did I mention Ubuntu? No, not that one!! The LTS one, 10.04! What do you mean it doesn't support Sandy Bridge IGP properly? It's your own fault you're using such modern fancy hardware!

:D 

And I totally agree about a bunch of pissed off nerds. The people who've created the kernel and most of the OS are really skilled, but the rest of this "community" are a bunch of haters and I've seen too many stupid posters asking "You use WINDOWS? So how often does it BSOD on you?" I mean, if they're that outdated with that info and don't want to pay, maybe they should just pirate Windows 7 and check if it's really THAT bad :lol: 
Score
November 11, 2011 7:19:15 PM

ZeknichovThe fact that you can patent something before its been developed and works is sickening. The whole patent system is inefficient and is hurting the consumer.

It might look ridiculous now ,but wouldn't it be an epic move for microsoft if it does really does profit them half a century later?
Score
November 11, 2011 7:50:28 PM

Back to the topic, quantum cryptography is really needed sometime soon, Sony and Steam can testify to that, if MS can take this patent and run it full pelt through their R&D labs with a couple of billion dollars behind it we may very well have a secure future for everyone.

Isn't that something to be thankful for?

Apparently not, this has now decended into a bitter fanboi war, grow up, all of you.
Score
November 11, 2011 8:30:02 PM

amk-aka-PhantomI agree, but hopefully this will destroy Linux and Mac OS

Destroying the Monopoly of iShit is fine, but when you try to "Destroy" Linux you will be destroying a HUGE server platform & open-source medium that helped build the internet & home computer. THINK before you spew your jargon.
Score
November 11, 2011 8:47:21 PM

madjimms said:
Destroying the Monopoly of iShit is fine, but when you try to "Destroy" Linux you will be destroying a HUGE server platform & open-source medium that helped build the internet & home computer. THINK before you spew your jargon.

Well.. not really. Linux is cool and all, but keep it away from home desktop and don't DARE to make ANY demands of hardware manufacturers. Don't wanna pay - why should they develop a driver for your OS?
Score
November 11, 2011 9:08:19 PM

Android OS is based on the Linux kernel, not to mention Linux is found throughout many-if not majority-of supercomputers and servers.

So, logistically speaking, no Linux=No Android OS, which I believe you prefer compared to iOS or any other mobile OS. So if Linux did not exist, the mobile market, as well as the face of computing, would differ from what we see now. So yes, Linux is important and has a much larger role in the market than the desktop market.
Score
November 11, 2011 9:10:37 PM

back_by_demandBack to the topic, quantum cryptography is really needed sometime soon, Sony and Steam can testify to that, if MS can take this patent and run it full pelt through their R&D labs with a couple of billion dollars behind it we may very well have a secure future for everyone.Isn't that something to be thankful for?Apparently not, this has now decended into a bitter fanboi war, grow up, all of you.

It's only a fanboy war if there are two or more sides which favor only one product/brand, which isn't the case here :p  But yes, I know what you mean.
Score
November 11, 2011 9:13:45 PM

AbdullahG said:
Android OS is based on the Linux kernel, not to mention Linux is found throughout many-if not majority-of supercomputers and servers.

So, logistically speaking, no Linux=No Android OS, which I believe you prefer compared to iOS or any other mobile OS. So if Linux did not exist, the mobile market, as well as the face of computing, would differ from what we see now. So yes, Linux is important and has a much larger role in the market than the desktop market.

I actually don't care for Android. I'd prefer it over iOS, but Symbian was the best mobile OS experience for me, touch screen or not. And I have yet to try WP 7.5... if it lets me use hardware to the max and has every function I need inbuilt so I don't need crApps, I'd choose that over Android.

And I don't give about supercomputers (most of what they do on them is big scale nuclear war result simulations) and servers can run on Windows just fine, not my problem.
Score
November 11, 2011 9:22:16 PM

If microsoft adopted quantum computing they'd have to completely redesign windows.
Score
November 11, 2011 10:44:19 PM

I'm wondering how they have defined those "braids" in patent application. If worded correctly MS could hold patent for any type of encryption done on quantum computers.
Score
November 12, 2011 12:50:37 AM

I could have sworn that IBM had a few patents for this back in the mid/late 90s when quantum computing was getting to be a bit more than just theoretical. I smell a fight in 10-20 years, maybe the US patent office will be fixed by then.

So how do you ctrl-alt-delete a quantum computer? I bet MS knows.
Score
November 12, 2011 5:34:41 AM

what I want to know is when are quantum computers going to be able to begin modifying the laws of physics and space and time?
Score
November 12, 2011 8:54:48 AM

amk-aka-phantomWhat do you mean it doesn't support Sandy Bridge IGP properly? It's your own fault you're using such modern fancy hardware!

Does Microsoft supports the Sandy Bridge IGP? No, Intel does. So don't blame linux.
Score
November 12, 2011 10:41:38 AM

amk-aka-phantomAnd I don't give about supercomputers (most of what they do on them is big scale nuclear war result simulations) and servers can run on Windows just fine, not my problem.

Yep servers can run on windows just more unreliable and slower. There's a reason why most web servers, dns servers,... are unix/linux based.
Score
November 12, 2011 10:43:12 AM

amk-aka-phantom Don't wanna pay - why should they develop a driver for your OS?

Since when does a OS developers pay to the hardware manufacturers to have drivers developed for their system?
Score
November 12, 2011 2:45:25 PM

Apply an encrytion key to a plain text to get an encrypted text. Sounds like common knowledge. Now apply a key braid to a plain braid to get an encrypted braid. WTF.
Score
November 12, 2011 3:37:37 PM

Vladislaus said:
Since when does a OS developers pay to the hardware manufacturers to have drivers developed for their system?

Since like ever.
Score
November 12, 2011 4:10:27 PM

Im going to patent DNA coding before they do!
Score
November 12, 2011 4:59:19 PM

amk-aka-PhantomSince like ever.

Perhaps in your mind.
Score
November 12, 2011 7:25:33 PM

VladislausSince when does a OS developers pay to the hardware manufacturers to have drivers developed for their system?

Actually you are right, hardware manufacturers pay lots of money to develop drivers for Windows, so let's examine the reason why:-
A) Windows in on approx 90% of all the worlds PCs
They are going to play to their market because that is where the customers are

But conversely:-
B) Linux is on about 0.85% of the worlds PCs
Why spend money developing drivers for such a minority market, face it, Linux isn't worth getting out of bed for a companies who write drivers
Score
November 12, 2011 7:39:41 PM

back_by_demandActually you are right, hardware manufacturers pay lots of money to develop drivers for Windows, so let's examine the reason why:-A) Windows in on approx 90% of all the worlds PCsThey are going to play to their market because that is where the customers areBut conversely:-B) Linux is on about 0.85% of the worlds PCsWhy spend money developing drivers for such a minority market, face it, Linux isn't worth getting out of bed for a companies who write drivers

I'm not negating that fact. I know that developing driver costs quite a large amount of money, and since linux has a small user base it will be harder to find drivers for it and sometimes if they do exist they are sub-par to their windows counterparts. But the OS isn't the one at fault.
Score
November 12, 2011 7:53:49 PM

amk-aka-PhantomThey're not, because that MS patent will keep them away from it for good.Wow, lots of Linux fanboys on Tom's recently! What are you doing here? Core 2 Duo is enough for toying with your OS, you don't need Tom's content But they will make an OS to work with them. And of course they don't want some open source BS to steal their profits! Besides, research WILL be done, whether they want it or not; Asia, or example, doesn't care about patents and copyrights at all, 90% of all software here is pirated. And it gets work done

amk, people really don't like you on this website, do they? Trollololololololololol
Score
November 12, 2011 9:35:41 PM

This is exactly the problem with "First to Patent", rather then first to produce and sell something functional. This is akin to the Uranium rush with people just throwing stakes out of planes to try and cover as much land as possible out in the Utah-ish area.
Score
November 13, 2011 7:58:17 AM

VladislausI'm not negating that fact. I know that developing driver costs quite a large amount of money, and since linux has a small user base it will be harder to find drivers for it and sometimes if they do exist they are sub-par to their windows counterparts. But the OS isn't the one at fault.

So how do you turn Linuix into a more attractive option for end users so that they will use it more, thus increasing the support from hardware vendors, making it more attractive still?

1) Reduce the number of distros from 400 to about 4, maybe rename them as Linux Starter, Linux Home, Linux Professional and Linux Ultimate.
2) Increase the user friendliness.
3) Form a real business to get organised.

There are probably another 50 steps but, imitation is the best form of flattery and despite the flaws of Windows, Microsoft's business model is pretty watertight.
Score
November 14, 2011 3:17:29 AM

amk-aka-phantomI agree, but hopefully this will destroy Linux and Mac OS

He he... how Ironic. What do you think will hapen to TH if linux is destroyed.

go see this .... http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=tomshardware.c...

Windows fan boy why are you on a site that uses Linux????
Score
November 14, 2011 6:07:45 AM

dil said:
He he... how Ironic. What do you think will hapen to TH if linux is destroyed.

go see this .... http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=tomshardware.c...

Windows fan boy why are you on a site that uses Linux????

Dude, it's TH's business to stay online, not mine. I don't care how they do it. Besides, I already mentioned Linux is good for servers and businesses; just keep it away from the home desktop.
Score
November 14, 2011 2:00:08 PM

What a bunch whiners who are clearly detached from reality. The technologly that our government has had and will have (including quantum computers) has always been in partnership with flagship US companies..... Get real guys microsoft is patenting so that when the gov't says it's ok they can then make a profit on us. The gov't has had a trend of staying 50 + years ahead of the rest of us.....
Score
November 14, 2011 2:00:38 PM

What a bunch whiners who are clearly detached from reality. The technologly that our government has had and will have (including quantum computers) has always been in partnership with flagship US companies..... Get real guys microsoft is patenting so that when the gov't says it's ok they can then make a profit on us. The gov't has had a trend of staying 50 + years ahead of the rest of us.....
Score
November 15, 2011 11:52:36 PM

Good job for Microsoft!
Score
December 31, 2011 9:20:16 PM

So does this mean the Canadian company building the Dwave quantum computing devices NOW is about to be sued? I haven't seen any Microsoft quantum computers ... Oh boy, The Canadian Innovator of the Year for 2011 Just got his ass handed to him by the US patent system.
Score
!