Advice on DVD Recorders

Tags:
Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
July 7, 2004 1:27:37 AM

Hopefully someone can help me here. I am looking into purchasing a dvd
recorder for my PC. I know very little about them and was wondering if
someone could direct me to a site that explains the different options.
For example, what dual format is, what +/- means in the descriptions etc.

I am not looking to spend a lot of money on the DVD recorder, yet I will
spend extra for technology that will last me a bit. I will predominantly be
using it for storage and backup purposes of files, copying old tapes, and
maybe camcorder video.

Thanks in advance.

--
Grinler
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com

More about : advice dvd recorders

Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 7, 2004 2:46:26 AM

"Skalek" <skalek@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hopefully someone can help me here. I am looking into purchasing a dvd
>recorder for my PC. I know very little about them and was wondering if
>someone could direct me to a site that explains the different options.
>For example, what dual format is, what +/- means in the descriptions etc.

http://www.dvddemystified.com
http://www.videohelp.com
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 7, 2004 3:24:18 AM

<DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> "Skalek" <skalek@yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://www.dvddemystified.com
> http://www.videohelp.com

Excellent. Appreciate it.
Related resources
July 7, 2004 3:24:19 AM

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 23:24:18 GMT, "Skalek" <skalek@yahoo.com> wrote:

><DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> "Skalek" <skalek@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> http://www.dvddemystified.com
>> http://www.videohelp.com
>>

>Excellent. Appreciate it.

Nec, Lite-On, Plextor

One of these should do it.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 7, 2004 1:53:19 PM

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:27:37 GMT, "Skalek" <skalek@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hopefully someone can help me here. I am looking into purchasing a dvd
>recorder for my PC. I know very little about them and was wondering if
>someone could direct me to a site that explains the different options.
>For example, what dual format is, what +/- means in the descriptions etc.
>
>I am not looking to spend a lot of money on the DVD recorder, yet I will
>spend extra for technology that will last me a bit. I will predominantly be
>using it for storage and backup purposes of files, copying old tapes, and
>maybe camcorder video.

Most recorders today support both + and - formats. A good bet in a
solid recorders are the NEC 2500A (8x, $70) or 2510A (8x dual layer,
$85) from www.newegg.com. They have a reputation for being very good
burners and so-so readers. I've had good luck with mine so far. The
Lite-on models also get good reviews, and my Lite-on reader is
excellent at reading marginal disks.

a b G Storage
July 8, 2004 4:33:14 AM

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 09:53:19 -0700, Neil Maxwell <neil.maxwell@intel.com> wrote:
>Most recorders today support both + and - formats. A good bet in a

But for data backup, DVD-RAM is probably the best bet. (Is treated as
a removable SCSI disk by the system, has defect management, etc.)

--
Roger Blake
(Subtract 10 for email.)

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:36:07 -0700, jones <jones@nospamnospam.com> wrote:

I found out recently that NEC, Sony, Pioneer and few others are made by someone
else beside the Japanese brand names.

>On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 23:24:18 GMT, "Skalek" <skalek@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>><DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>>> "Skalek" <skalek@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> http://www.dvddemystified.com
>>> http://www.videohelp.com
>>>

>>Excellent. Appreciate it.
>>

>Nec, Lite-On, Plextor
>
>One of these should do it.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 8, 2004 5:49:05 PM

I'd take a look at the reviews at www.cdrinfo.com and look at the PI/PO
error charts of the Plextor 12x burner & Pioneer A05 burner (both
excellent burners with low PI/PO scores) vs. the others.

You can go dirt-cheap, eg. the $49 IO/Magic 8x burner at Staples this
week. But the BTC/Optorite that's in the box sure won't burn as
reliably as the above two, and if you're doing archival work, well.....
you may just lose some bits here and there.

Similarly, after you buy a burner, look at the charts to pick a
compatible media with low PI/PO rates -- otherwise, the disc will come
out with lots of errors and possible problems after a burn.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 9, 2004 11:03:23 PM

DeepOne@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> "Skalek" <skalek@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Hopefully someone can help me here. I am looking into purchasing a dvd
> >recorder for my PC. I know very little about them and was wondering if
> >someone could direct me to a site that explains the different options.
> >For example, what dual format is, what +/- means in the descriptions etc.
>
> http://www.dvddemystified.com
> http://www.videohelp.com

Hello,

Here are some relevant Usenet groups, as well:

Good luck!

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 9, 2004 11:03:24 PM

Roger Blake wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 09:53:19 -0700, Neil Maxwell <neil.maxwell@intel.com> wrote:
> >Most recorders today support both + and - formats. A good bet in a
>
> But for data backup, DVD-RAM is probably the best bet. (Is treated as
> a removable SCSI disk by the system, has defect management, etc.)
>
> --
> Roger Blake
> (Subtract 10 for email.)

Hello, Roger:

Correct, on all counts. DVD-RAM's 100,000 rewrite cycle, blows away the
"competition," also.

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 9, 2004 11:03:28 PM

Maryjoe wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:36:07 -0700, jones <jones@nospamnospam.com> wrote:
>
> I found out recently that NEC, Sony, Pioneer and few others are made by someone
> else beside the Japanese brand names.

Hello,

Don't keep us in suspense, any longer, please. Cite the real
manufacturer(s) of those particular drives.

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

PS: I'm fairly certain that Panasonic (a.k.a., Matsushita) makes its own
hardware.

> >On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 23:24:18 GMT, "Skalek" <skalek@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >><DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> >>>

> >>Excellent. Appreciate it.
> >>

> >Nec, Lite-On, Plextor
> >
> >One of these should do it.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 10, 2004 12:13:27 AM

On 09 Jul 2004 19:03:28 EDT, John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote:

Sorry, the seller in Price Watch did not say who made them, but it did say, it
is not made in Japan.

>Maryjoe wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:36:07 -0700, jones <jones@nospamnospam.com> wrote:
>>
>> I found out recently that NEC, Sony, Pioneer and few others are made by someone
>> else beside the Japanese brand names.
>

>Hello,
>
>Don't keep us in suspense, any longer, please. Cite the real
>manufacturer(s) of those particular drives.
>
>Cordially,
> John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
>

>PS: I'm fairly certain that Panasonic (a.k.a., Matsushita) makes its own
>hardware.

>> >Nec, Lite-On, Plextor
>> >
>> >One of these should do it.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 10, 2004 4:20:25 AM

Maryjoe wrote:

> On 09 Jul 2004 19:03:28 EDT, John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote:
>
> Sorry, the seller in Price Watch did not say who made them, but it did
> say, it is not made in Japan.

Uh, "not made in Japan" and "not made by the company whose label is on the
front" are not synonymous. Japanese labor costs have gone through the roof
of late and the Japanese have been building plants in cheaper labor markets
just like American companies have been doing for a long time.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Maryjoe wrote:

> On 09 Jul 2004 19:03:28 EDT, John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote:
>
> Sorry, the seller in Price Watch did not say who made them, but it did say, it
> is not made in Japan.

Hello,

Nowadays, relatively little merchandise is "made in Japan" -- even by
the Japanese, themselves! Except for the "high end" stuff, assembly
operations have been largely "farmed out," typically to factories in a
few Asian and Pacific nations.

Nevertheless, the Japanese companies are still responsible for designing
and engineering, the products which bear their names. Hence, the "NEC,
Sony, Pioneer" devices, that you mentioned, are considered "Japanese,"
whether they were created in countries other than Japan.

By the way, Panasonic seems to bucking this trend, to some extent. For
instance(s), my SW-9571 (internal IDE DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM writer) and
DMR-E50P (stand-alone DVD-R/DVD-RAM video recorder), were both built in
Japan, during 2003.

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

> >Maryjoe wrote:
> >>
> >> On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:36:07 -0700, jones <jones@nospamnospam.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I found out recently that NEC, Sony, Pioneer and few others are made by someone
> >> else beside the Japanese brand names.
> >

> >Hello,
> >
> >Don't keep us in suspense, any longer, please. Cite the real
> >manufacturer(s) of those particular drives.
> >
> >Cordially,
> > John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
> >

> >PS: I'm fairly certain that Panasonic (a.k.a., Matsushita) makes its own
> >hardware.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 10, 2004 6:22:56 AM

On 09 Jul 2004 19:03:24 EDT, John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote:
>Correct, on all counts. DVD-RAM's 100,000 rewrite cycle, blows away the
>"competition," also.

It's my current favorite for backup in situations where the 4.7 Gig
capacity is sufficient. Beats the heck out of mag tape. It's just
unfortunate that most of the so-called "all format" DVD burners don't
support DVD-RAM.

--
Roger Blake
(Subtract 10 for email.)

Roger Blake wrote:

> On 09 Jul 2004 19:03:24 EDT, John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote:
> >Correct, on all counts. DVD-RAM's 100,000 rewrite cycle, blows away the
> >"competition," also.
>
> It's my current favorite for backup in situations where the 4.7 Gig
> capacity is sufficient. Beats the heck out of mag tape. It's just
> unfortunate that most of the so-called "all format" DVD burners don't
> support DVD-RAM.
>
> --
> Roger Blake
> (Subtract 10 for email.)

Hello, Roger:

Sad, but true. Panasonic is DVD-RAM's primary supporter, and yet,
doesn't back DVD+R/DVD+RW.

!