Advice on DVD Recorders

Hopefully someone can help me here. I am looking into purchasing a dvd
recorder for my PC. I know very little about them and was wondering if
someone could direct me to a site that explains the different options.
For example, what dual format is, what +/- means in the descriptions etc.

I am not looking to spend a lot of money on the DVD recorder, yet I will
spend extra for technology that will last me a bit. I will predominantly be
using it for storage and backup purposes of files, copying old tapes, and
maybe camcorder video.

Thanks in advance.

--
Grinler
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com

    http://www.dvddemystified.com
    http://www.videohelp.com

    <DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > "Skalek" <skalek@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > http://www.dvddemystified.com
    > http://www.videohelp.com

    Excellent. Appreciate it.

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 23:24:18 GMT, "Skalek" <skalek@yahoo.com> wrote:

    ><DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >> "Skalek" <skalek@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >> http://www.dvddemystified.com
    >> http://www.videohelp.com
    >>

    >Excellent. Appreciate it.

    Nec, Lite-On, Plextor

    One of these should do it.

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:27:37 GMT, "Skalek" <skalek@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Hopefully someone can help me here. I am looking into purchasing a dvd
    >recorder for my PC. I know very little about them and was wondering if
    >someone could direct me to a site that explains the different options.
    >For example, what dual format is, what +/- means in the descriptions etc.
    >
    >I am not looking to spend a lot of money on the DVD recorder, yet I will
    >spend extra for technology that will last me a bit. I will predominantly be
    >using it for storage and backup purposes of files, copying old tapes, and
    >maybe camcorder video.

    Most recorders today support both + and - formats. A good bet in a
    solid recorders are the NEC 2500A (8x, $70) or 2510A (8x dual layer,
    $85) from www.newegg.com. They have a reputation for being very good
    burners and so-so readers. I've had good luck with mine so far. The
    Lite-on models also get good reviews, and my Lite-on reader is
    excellent at reading marginal disks.

    On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 09:53:19 -0700, Neil Maxwell <neil.maxwell@intel.com> wrote:
    >Most recorders today support both + and - formats. A good bet in a

    But for data backup, DVD-RAM is probably the best bet. (Is treated as
    a removable SCSI disk by the system, has defect management, etc.)

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10 for email.)

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:36:07 -0700, jones <jones@nospamnospam.com> wrote:

    I found out recently that NEC, Sony, Pioneer and few others are made by someone
    else beside the Japanese brand names.

    >On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 23:24:18 GMT, "Skalek" <skalek@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >><DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >>> "Skalek" <skalek@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>> http://www.dvddemystified.com
    >>> http://www.videohelp.com
    >>>

    >>Excellent. Appreciate it.
    >>

    >Nec, Lite-On, Plextor
    >
    >One of these should do it.

    I'd take a look at the reviews at www.cdrinfo.com and look at the PI/PO
    error charts of the Plextor 12x burner & Pioneer A05 burner (both
    excellent burners with low PI/PO scores) vs. the others.

    You can go dirt-cheap, eg. the $49 IO/Magic 8x burner at Staples this
    week. But the BTC/Optorite that's in the box sure won't burn as
    reliably as the above two, and if you're doing archival work, well.....
    you may just lose some bits here and there.

    Similarly, after you buy a burner, look at the charts to pick a
    compatible media with low PI/PO rates -- otherwise, the disc will come
    out with lots of errors and possible problems after a burn.

    DeepOne@ix.netcom.com wrote:

    > "Skalek" <skalek@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hopefully someone can help me here. I am looking into purchasing a dvd
    > >recorder for my PC. I know very little about them and was wondering if
    > >someone could direct me to a site that explains the different options.
    > >For example, what dual format is, what +/- means in the descriptions etc.
    >
    > http://www.dvddemystified.com
    > http://www.videohelp.com

    Hello,

    Here are some relevant Usenet groups, as well:

    Good luck!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

    Roger Blake wrote:

    > On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 09:53:19 -0700, Neil Maxwell <neil.maxwell@intel.com> wrote:
    > >Most recorders today support both + and - formats. A good bet in a
    >
    > But for data backup, DVD-RAM is probably the best bet. (Is treated as
    > a removable SCSI disk by the system, has defect management, etc.)
    >
    > --
    > Roger Blake
    > (Subtract 10 for email.)

    Hello, Roger:

    Correct, on all counts. DVD-RAM's 100,000 rewrite cycle, blows away the
    "competition," also.

    Maryjoe wrote:

    > On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:36:07 -0700, jones <jones@nospamnospam.com> wrote:
    >
    > I found out recently that NEC, Sony, Pioneer and few others are made by someone
    > else beside the Japanese brand names.

    Hello,

    Don't keep us in suspense, any longer, please. Cite the real
    manufacturer(s) of those particular drives.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

    PS: I'm fairly certain that Panasonic (a.k.a., Matsushita) makes its own
    hardware.

    > >On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 23:24:18 GMT, "Skalek" <skalek@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >><DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > >>>

    > >>Excellent. Appreciate it.
    > >>

    > >Nec, Lite-On, Plextor
    > >
    > >One of these should do it.

    On 09 Jul 2004 19:03:28 EDT, John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote:

    Sorry, the seller in Price Watch did not say who made them, but it did say, it
    is not made in Japan.

    Maryjoe wrote:

    > On 09 Jul 2004 19:03:28 EDT, John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote:
    >
    > Sorry, the seller in Price Watch did not say who made them, but it did
    > say, it is not made in Japan.

    Uh, "not made in Japan" and "not made by the company whose label is on the
    front" are not synonymous. Japanese labor costs have gone through the roof
    of late and the Japanese have been building plants in cheaper labor markets
    just like American companies have been doing for a long time.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Maryjoe wrote:

    > On 09 Jul 2004 19:03:28 EDT, John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote:
    >
    > Sorry, the seller in Price Watch did not say who made them, but it did say, it
    > is not made in Japan.

    Hello,

    Nowadays, relatively little merchandise is "made in Japan" -- even by
    the Japanese, themselves! Except for the "high end" stuff, assembly
    operations have been largely "farmed out," typically to factories in a
    few Asian and Pacific nations.

    Nevertheless, the Japanese companies are still responsible for designing
    and engineering, the products which bear their names. Hence, the "NEC,
    Sony, Pioneer" devices, that you mentioned, are considered "Japanese,"
    whether they were created in countries other than Japan.

    By the way, Panasonic seems to bucking this trend, to some extent. For
    instance(s), my SW-9571 (internal IDE DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM writer) and
    DMR-E50P (stand-alone DVD-R/DVD-RAM video recorder), were both built in
    Japan, during 2003.

    On 09 Jul 2004 19:03:24 EDT, John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote:
    >Correct, on all counts. DVD-RAM's 100,000 rewrite cycle, blows away the
    >"competition," also.

    It's my current favorite for backup in situations where the 4.7 Gig
    capacity is sufficient. Beats the heck out of mag tape. It's just
    unfortunate that most of the so-called "all format" DVD burners don't
    support DVD-RAM.

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10 for email.)

    Roger Blake wrote:

    > On 09 Jul 2004 19:03:24 EDT, John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote:
    > >Correct, on all counts. DVD-RAM's 100,000 rewrite cycle, blows away the
    > >"competition," also.
    >
    > It's my current favorite for backup in situations where the 4.7 Gig
    > capacity is sufficient. Beats the heck out of mag tape. It's just
    > unfortunate that most of the so-called "all format" DVD burners don't
    > support DVD-RAM.
    >
    > --
    > Roger Blake
    > (Subtract 10 for email.)

    Hello, Roger:

    Sad, but true. Panasonic is DVD-RAM's primary supporter, and yet,
    doesn't back DVD+R/DVD+RW.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

Storage