How many times can I save a JPEG

How many times is it still ok to save a jpeg? Also, is there a loss of data
if you save as a new file instead of overwriting?
Thanks,
Richard

"Gymmy Bob" <nospamming@bite.me> wrote in message news:i9OdnfXdI5lLyXbdRVn-
> If you load and save a copy there will be no image quality lost unless you
> use a higher jpeg compression mode.

Even if I overwrite the previous version? What the heck are people
complaining about then? Other than being able to change the white balance,
why would I want to work in RAW? BTW, I was wondering what you were talking
about with backing up to original every few years.
Thanks,
Richard

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 01:54:35 GMT, "marlin"
<marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote:

>"Gymmy Bob" <nospamming@bite.me> wrote in message news:i9OdnfXdI5lLyXbdRVn-
>> If you load and save a copy there will be no image quality lost unless you
>> use a higher jpeg compression mode.

That is not true.

It would be true if you change that to read "unless you use 'any'
compression. Using the same compression, such as 90 or 10 or the
second hash mark or ... will always decrease the quality each time
you save it.

My jpeg programs has an option that permits saving with 0
compression and therefore no losses occur. Not all programs have
that option. I've tried it and then done binary comparisons and I get
no change with each save.

Pj.

>Even if I overwrite the previous version? What the heck are people
>complaining about then? Other than being able to change the white balance,
>why would I want to work in RAW? BTW, I was wondering what you were talking
>about with backing up to original every few years.
>Thanks,
>Richard

I wouldn't keep overwriting the original version personally. What if your
programme screws up? Then you have lost your original copy and it may not be
around.

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 17:06:51 -0400, "Gymmy Bob" <nospamming@bite.me>
wrote:

>I wouldn't keep overwriting the original version personally. What if your
>programme screws up? Then you have lost your original copy and it may not be
>around.

True. Your original images should be archived if possible as we
don't know what the future holds.

>"marlin" <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote in message
>> "Gymmy Bob" <nospamming@bite.me> wrote in message
>> > If you load and save a copy there will be no image quality lost unless
>you
>> > use a higher jpeg compression mode.
>>
>> Even if I overwrite the previous version? What the heck are people
>> complaining about then? Other than being able to change the white balance,
>> why would I want to work in RAW? BTW, I was wondering what you were
>talking
>> about with backing up to original every few years.
>> Thanks,
>> Richard

On Tech TV they recommend saving your pictures to Tiff, which is a non
compressed file and therefore larger in size,
then doing all your editing, finally changing back to jpeg...

> How many times is it still ok to save a jpeg? Also, is there a loss of
data
> if you save as a new file instead of overwriting?
> Thanks,
> Richard

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 17:53:30 -0400, "Gymmy Bob" <nospamming@bite.me> found
these unused words floating about:

>I figured it was so ridiculous that any fool would catch on.....oops!
>
>I don't do smiley icons

... a <G> fills the bill.

"Gymmy Bob" wrote:

> It was a joke.

When I read your answer I had a good laugh. Honestly! I also showed it to
the guy next to me and we were both *very* amused by it! The way you
described it ("Eventually some of the blue bits get read as greenish
bits...") was hilarious!

I could not believe the OP's answer. At first I tought he was playing along,
but his next reponse told me otherwise. And now this response, duh!!!

Gymmy Bob, don't let these guys bother you: you were funny, in a big way!

Steven

- - -

I just couldn't resist but I felt sorry for the poor guy later.

"Steven Spits" <steven.spits@servico.be.net> wrote in message
> "Gymmy Bob" wrote:
>
> > It was a joke.
>
> When I read your answer I had a good laugh. Honestly! I also showed it to
> the guy next to me and we were both *very* amused by it! The way you
> described it ("Eventually some of the blue bits get read as greenish
> bits...") was hilarious!
>
> I could not believe the OP's answer. At first I tought he was playing
along,
> but his next reponse told me otherwise. And now this response, duh!!!
>
> Gymmy Bob, don't let these guys bother you: you were funny, in a big way!
>
> Steven
>
> - - -

hunt

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004

In article <Jk4Hc.979373$Pk3.957834@pd7tw1no>, unome@unowhere.com says...

> On Tech TV they recommend saving your pictures to Tiff, which is a non
>compressed file and therefore larger in size,
> then doing all your editing, finally changing back to jpeg...
>

>"marlin" <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote in message
>> How many times is it still ok to save a jpeg? Also, is there a loss of
>data
>> if you save as a new file instead of overwriting?
>> Thanks,
>> Richard

Yes, TIFF, or PSD (if you are using Photoshop) is the preferred Save_As option
for all your "working" Saves. In TIFF you can even use LZW compression, which
is lossless. For final output, if JPG is what you need, you can then Save_As
JPG with what ever setting work for you/your client.

Also, is PS, PSD will save ALL of your Layers, Channels, Paths, etc., while in
PS CS TIFF will save most of that information.

Hunt