Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Newbie question about Bluetooth Services ???

Tags:
  • Wireless
  • Desktops
  • Bluetooth
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 3, 2004 7:50:31 PM

I want to connect my IPAQ Pocket PC to the internet via my WinXP desktop
which is connected to a LAN. I can get both devices to "see" each other and
establish a pairing. My problem is that there are no bluetooth Services
listed for the Pocket PC in the Wireless Link part of control panel on the
desktop.

For the bluetooth connection I'm using the USB bluetooth transceiver that
was included with my Microsoft Wireless Desktop (keyboard and mouse). I've
read the transciever can handle up to 5 additional bluetooth devices.

I assume the Wireless Desktop software only loaded drivers for the
mouse/keyboard. Are there other drivers I need to install? Where do I find
them? Or do I need to replace the transceiver with a bluetooth "adapter".
Also- there are no "My Bluetooth Places" (or something to that effect) on my
desktop and that I've seen in other help areas.

Thanks!

More about : newbie question bluetooth services

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 11, 2004 10:39:09 PM

If you have the "Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop for Bluetooth", then the
transceiver should be sufficient to connect to almost any other Bluetooth
device/service. However, the Bluetooth software that comes with the
"Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop for Bluetooth" is pretty limited in the
number of Bluetooth services (profiles) that it supports. In order to do
more with your Bluetooth transceiver, you'll want to either install Service
Packs 2 for Windows XP or acquire a non-Microsoft Bluetooth software package
such as WIDCOMM.

When you hear people talking about "My Bluetooth Places", they are referring
to the WIDCOMM software. Service Pack 2 for Windows XP will give you a new
icon in your Control Panel which is called "Bluetooth Devices". This will
provide the same features that are currently available from the "Bluetooth"
tab in your "Wireless Link" control panel applet, but will support a wider
variety of Bluetooth services (profiles).

--

Patrick Sears
Bluetooth PAN

purposes only.