.avi files

Deleted member 3023

I have Windows Media 9, but it cannot play .avi files....I says there is an error loading the codec...how can I make it so WMP can play these fies?

"Corey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have Windows Media 9, but it cannot play .avi files....I says there is
an error loading the codec...how can I make it so WMP can play these fies?

The codecs automatically downloaded by WMP come from a small selection of
Microsoft-approved codecs. None of them handle DIVX and XVID .avi movies
particularly well, if at all.

Do yourself a favour and install this one, single codec- the "ffdshow" codec
from: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow/ It is the only non-Microsoft
video codec I have installed on my system, and I have not yet met an avi
file I could not play.

Regards,
Ian.