Acronis True Image fails to restore on SATA HDDs

A few days ago, I bought TI for a new computer I've recently
built. TI seems to successfully create backup images, but it fails
to restore them. I've studied the FAQ, User's Guide, and Helpfile.

I'm wondering if the problem has something to do with the two new
SATA harddrives in the system: Western Digital 36 GB Raptors (10k
RPM). (The rest of the system consists of a P4 2.8 GB, XP Pro SP1,
an MSI 875P Neo-FISR motherboard (top of the line), 1 GB RAM, and a
Lite-On SOHW-812s DVDRW drive which writes to CD-R at 40x, DVD+R/-R
at 8x.)

Windows installs perfectly on the first HD and works fine. I also
have a second installation of XP on the second HD. I can boot to
either one at bootup. It all works fine.

I've created several partitions on each HD:

HD 1:
C: System
D: Data
E: Programs
F: Temps (disposable temp files)

HD 2:
G: Swap
H: A/V (Video files)
I: Backups
L: XP Setup files (For quick reinstalls of XP)
K: XP 2nd installation (A place to experiment with XP)
L: Downloads

I know this seems elaborate, and that there's a good case to be
made for a much simpler partitioning scheme, but I like to
experiment.

So here's what I tried to do: I made a backup image of the K:
partition (2nd XP installation) and saved it in the I: partition
(backups). This seemed to work fine. Then I tried restoring that
image to the K: partition. It failed. There was an immediate error
message that said "Failure to write to Sector 0 of Disk 2. Retry,
Ignore, Ignore All?" Retries didn't work. Hitting "Ignore" produced
a similar error messages regarding other sectors.

I thought maybe the problem had something to do with trying to
restore a *system* partition, so I made an image of the D: (data)
partition and tried to restore it, resulting in the same failure
to write to the HD.

So I went to the Acronis site and got the latest build (613) and went
through everything again. Failed.

Oh, and I also tried to make a bootable rescue CD and that failed,
too. The CD was successfully burned -- I think, anyway, since I could
see the files on the CD -- but the computer failed to boot from the
CD. The bootup got as far as "Acronis loading..." and then the "Boot
failure" error message came up. I tried burning another CD-R, same
result. Then I tried it with a CD-RW. Same failure. (The media was
some old stuff I've had lying around for 3-5 years, so I'm going to
buy some new stuff and see what happens.

Anyway, I've sent an email description of the problem to Acronis
support. Maybe they'll have an answer for me, but I thought I'd ask
around while I'm waiting for their response.

peter

A few things.
Acronis discussion forum is here:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65
you might get some good tips from fellow members there.
Try to get to the bottom of your CD burning problem. It seems that most
reliable TI operation you would get if you boot from Acronis CD.
Yes, you are right. That elaborate partitioning scheme is going to bite you
sooner or later, especially when you have two instances of XP there and do
not hide/unhide partitions during boot. Installation of windows programs can
create a real havoc on your second XP, affecting primary XP. I would never
put two Windows on two separate disk partitions without hiding non-active,
other instance OS partition. That asks for trouble. Some people claim to be
successful in achieving that, but this seems a lot of testing to me (not
worth it).

"JPD" <homebuilt@guitarist.com> wrote in message
> A few days ago, I bought TI for a new computer I've recently
> built. TI seems to successfully create backup images, but it fails
> to restore them. I've studied the FAQ, User's Guide, and Helpfile.
>
> I'm wondering if the problem has something to do with the two new
> SATA harddrives in the system: Western Digital 36 GB Raptors (10k
> RPM). (The rest of the system consists of a P4 2.8 GB, XP Pro SP1,
> an MSI 875P Neo-FISR motherboard (top of the line), 1 GB RAM, and a
> Lite-On SOHW-812s DVDRW drive which writes to CD-R at 40x, DVD+R/-R
> at 8x.)
>
> Windows installs perfectly on the first HD and works fine. I also
> have a second installation of XP on the second HD. I can boot to
> either one at bootup. It all works fine.
>
> I've created several partitions on each HD:
>
> HD 1:
> C: System
> D: Data
> E: Programs
> F: Temps (disposable temp files)
>
> HD 2:
> G: Swap
> H: A/V (Video files)
> I: Backups
> L: XP Setup files (For quick reinstalls of XP)
> K: XP 2nd installation (A place to experiment with XP)
> L: Downloads
>
> I know this seems elaborate, and that there's a good case to be
> made for a much simpler partitioning scheme, but I like to
> experiment.
>
> So here's what I tried to do: I made a backup image of the K:
> partition (2nd XP installation) and saved it in the I: partition
> (backups). This seemed to work fine. Then I tried restoring that
> image to the K: partition. It failed. There was an immediate error
> message that said "Failure to write to Sector 0 of Disk 2. Retry,
> Ignore, Ignore All?" Retries didn't work. Hitting "Ignore" produced
> a similar error messages regarding other sectors.
>
> I thought maybe the problem had something to do with trying to
> restore a *system* partition, so I made an image of the D: (data)
> partition and tried to restore it, resulting in the same failure
> to write to the HD.
>
> So I went to the Acronis site and got the latest build (613) and went
> through everything again. Failed.
>
> Oh, and I also tried to make a bootable rescue CD and that failed,
> too. The CD was successfully burned -- I think, anyway, since I could
> see the files on the CD -- but the computer failed to boot from the
> CD. The bootup got as far as "Acronis loading..." and then the "Boot
> failure" error message came up. I tried burning another CD-R, same
> result. Then I tried it with a CD-RW. Same failure. (The media was
> some old stuff I've had lying around for 3-5 years, so I'm going to
> buy some new stuff and see what happens.
>
> Anyway, I've sent an email description of the problem to Acronis
> support. Maybe they'll have an answer for me, but I thought I'd ask
> around while I'm waiting for their response.

Looks like a very good link, Peter. Thank you very much!