Work laptop doesn't see home network

I can't seem to get my work laptop to see my home network, despite reading
and executing a variety of different tactics from several sources.
My home PC is a Windows XP box connected to my dsl line through a Linksys G
wireless broadband router.
My work laptop uses a Microsoft wireless G card and it has no problem
getting to the Internet through my home router/dsl setup. But I cannot get
the work laptop to see shared folders on the home PC, or even the home PC.
Nor can my home PC see the laptop.
The folks at my work help desk tell me I can't get it done because my laptop
belongs to a domain. But I've used this same laptop at major events and
connected wirelessly to other computers with photos, PowerPoint
presentations, etc., that I needed.
I've tried mapping the laptop to the network drive using my PC's IP address
and computer name. No luck.
I've tried a variety of different combinations of IP addresses and computer
names. No luck.
I've tried the network setup wizard, but it won't complete its task on my
laptop, complaining that it belongs to a doman.
I've even tried naming the domain on my router the same name as the domain
my work laptop belongs to. No luck.
I'm sure I'm missing something obvjous.
Is there a simple (underscore simple) step-by-step process published
somewhere that I can use to fix this?

Thanks for your advice.
Jerry

- temporary disable any and all firewalls and virus
scanners on both machines.
- try to ping between both machines
- check if file and printer sharing is enabled.
Post back if you can't get it to work...

Your suggestion to ping made the difference.
It forced me to look more carefully at the IP address of my desktop. I
learned I had been trying to connect to my router's gateway address, not the
desktop's IP address.
Once I mapped to the correct IP address, I was able to print and view shared
folders using my laptop.
Like I said... I was missing the obvious.
Many thanks for your help.
Jerry B