CD-ROM Partitions?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc (More info?)

Is there (or could there be) such things as CD-ROM partitions?

I know CD-ROMs are cheap, but having to carry a number of them around
is still a hassle

I am thinking about the technical possibility to burn on a CD-ROM,
say, baseline versions of FreeBSD and Linux, with a few applications
and multibooting it on a machine with lots of RAM (512 Mb should be
OK).

Of course, appropriate space will be accomodated on an extra hard
disk for swap partitions and applications that need to write out data
to files, or the OS should be configured to syslog via a network, . .
..

Knoppix and Devil Linux do something similar, but just for an OS on a
CD-ROM.

Do you know of such things?

I need to xpost because this is a no-clear-land issue.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc (More info?)

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.setup.]
On 10 Jul 2004 20:31:21 -0700,
Albretch <lbrtchx@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Is there (or could there be) such things as CD-ROM partitions?
>
> I know CD-ROMs are cheap, but having to carry a number of them around
> is still a hassle
>
> I am thinking about the technical possibility to burn on a CD-ROM,
> say, baseline versions of FreeBSD and Linux, with a few applications
> and multibooting it on a machine with lots of RAM (512 Mb should be
> OK).
>
> Of course, appropriate space will be accomodated on an extra hard
> disk for swap partitions and applications that need to write out data
> to files, or the OS should be configured to syslog via a network, . .
> .
>
> Knoppix and Devil Linux do something similar, but just for an OS on a
> CD-ROM.
>
> Do you know of such things?
>
> I need to xpost because this is a no-clear-land issue.

Not a hardware issue, a Linux or BSD burning group is the place to ask.

Pretty sure that the specs say that harddrive emulation is to be single
partition.

I believe Isolinux may allow you to boot multiple OSs and might allow
you to choose options when booting, but I don't know that you could
choose between seperate filesystems on the same CD. I don't know if
creating a multi-session or hybird CD would allow this or not, I have my
doubts.

I don't know if you can buy double-sided CDs or not, but that sounds like
the most promising avenue.

GL & HTH,

Michael C.
--
mcsuper5@usol.com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

I've been accused of a great many things in my time, but paranoia isn't
one of them. Unless people have been saying it behind my back.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc (More info?)

When you use El Torito HD boot emulation, there is a partition table and Int13
drive 80h.

In principle there could be partitions and a boot manager, although it is not
officially supported.

"Albretch" <lbrtchx@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I am thinking about the technical possibility to burn on a CD-ROM,
> say, baseline versions of FreeBSD and Linux, with a few applications
> and multibooting it on a machine with lots of RAM (512 Mb should be
> OK).

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc (More info?)

On 10 Jul, in article
lbrtchx@hotmail.com "Albretch" wrote:

> Is there (or could there be) such things as CD-ROM partitions?
>
> I know CD-ROMs are cheap, but having to carry a number of them around
> is still a hassle
>
> I am thinking about the technical possibility to burn on a CD-ROM,
> say, baseline versions of FreeBSD and Linux, with a few applications
> and multibooting it on a machine with lots of RAM (512 Mb should be
> OK).

I have one such here that boots one of multiple images from the one
cd. Take a look at http://www.bootdisk.com/ and especially follow
the link to http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/

David

--
The Reply-To: is valid for at least 30 days after posting date
David Lord - david@lordynet.demon.co.uk

"Albretch" <lbrtchx@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Is there (or could there be) such things as CD-ROM partitions?
>
> I know CD-ROMs are cheap, but having to carry a number of them around
> is still a hassle
>
> I am thinking about the technical possibility to burn on a CD-ROM,
> say, baseline versions of FreeBSD and Linux, with a few applications
> and multibooting it on a machine with lots of RAM (512 Mb should be
> OK).
>
> Of course, appropriate space will be accomodated on an extra hard
> disk for swap partitions and applications that need to write out data
> to files, or the OS should be configured to syslog via a network, . .
> .
>
> Knoppix and Devil Linux do something similar, but just for an OS on a
> CD-ROM.
>
> Do you know of such things?
>
> I need to xpost because this is a no-clear-land issue.

There are multisession cd-roms, ie you can have Mac,Amiga and so on
filesystems on the same cd-rom.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc (More info?)

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.setup.]
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 13:03:41 GMT,
Conny <NOSPAMuncurbed@swipnet.se> wrote:

> "Albretch" <lbrtchx@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > Is there (or could there be) such things as CD-ROM partitions?
> >
> > I know CD-ROMs are cheap, but having to carry a number of them around
> > is still a hassle
> >
> > I am thinking about the technical possibility to burn on a CD-ROM,
> > say, baseline versions of FreeBSD and Linux, with a few applications
> > and multibooting it on a machine with lots of RAM (512 Mb should be
> > OK).
> >
> > Of course, appropriate space will be accomodated on an extra hard
> > disk for swap partitions and applications that need to write out data
> > to files, or the OS should be configured to syslog via a network, . .
> > .
> >
> > Knoppix and Devil Linux do something similar, but just for an OS on a
> > CD-ROM.
> >
> > Do you know of such things?
> >
> > I need to xpost because this is a no-clear-land issue.
>
> There are multisession cd-roms, ie you can have Mac,Amiga and so on
> filesystems on the same cd-rom.

Those are typically data CDs, not bootable. The OS determines which
filesystem to mount, not the user. Don't know if there is a bootloader
that understands CD sessions.

Michael C.
--
mcsuper5@usol.com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

There's a basic human weakness inherent in all people which tempts them
to want what they can't have and not want what is readily available to
them. - Robert J. Ringer

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc (More info?)

On 10 Jul 2004 20:31:21 -0700
lbrtchx@hotmail.com (Albretch) wrote:

> Is there (or could there be) such things as CD-ROM partitions?

CDs have tracks, in principle you could make a bootable CD with
a multi stage boot that allowed you to select which track to continue to
boot from.

--
C:>WIN | Solar Thermal Systems
The computer obeys and wins. | http://www.soleire.com/

Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

> On 10 Jul 2004 20:31:21 -0700
> lbrtchx@hotmail.com (Albretch) wrote:
>
>> Is there (or could there be) such things as CD-ROM partitions?
>
> CDs have tracks, in principle you could make a bootable CD with
> a multi stage boot that allowed you to select which track to continue to
> boot from.

Actually, CDs have track. One. Finding a position along the track other
than by reading the whole thing or seeking to an approximate position and
then reading along to the desired point is problematical.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)