Old SCSI drive and controller question

My old UW-SCSI controller died so I'm left with a pair of UW drives
and a spare old ISA controller that's only 50pin, AHA-1520 I think,
which came with my scanner or something.

The thing I'm wondering about is, is it possible to use the 68pin UW
drives with the 50-pin AHA-1520? The thing is because my UW card came
with 50->68pin adapters to use with 50pin drives. So I'm wondering,
even though logically it doesn't sound likely, if the reverse item
exists that would allow an UW drive to be down-graded into a SCSI-2
drive for a SCSI-2 controller?

Thanks!

a?n?g?e?l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com (The little lost angel) wrote:

>My old UW-SCSI controller died so I'm left with a pair of UW drives
>and a spare old ISA controller that's only 50pin, AHA-1520 I think,
>which came with my scanner or something.
>
>The thing I'm wondering about is, is it possible to use the 68pin UW
>drives with the 50-pin AHA-1520? The thing is because my UW card came
>with 50->68pin adapters to use with 50pin drives. So I'm wondering,
>even though logically it doesn't sound likely, if the reverse item
>exists that would allow an UW drive to be down-graded into a SCSI-2
>drive for a SCSI-2 controller?

I think you should be able to use your UW drives on the old ISA
controller, but it may slow them down. And you won't be able to boot
from them if that controller doesn't have a BIOS (it probably
doesn't). I've connected an old Seagate Cheetah to an AHA-2842A (VLB)
card, and it works fine although it's a bit slower than it could be.
If you need an adapter, you could try www.cablemakers.com.

"The little lost angel" <a?n?g?e?l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com> wrote in message news:40f2bb97.976232875@news.singnet.com.sg...
> My old UW-SCSI controller died so I'm left with a pair of UW drives
> and a spare old ISA controller that's only 50pin, AHA-1520 I think,
> which came with my scanner or something.
>
> The thing I'm wondering about is, is it possible to use the 68pin UW
> drives with the 50-pin AHA-1520? The thing is because my UW card
> came with 50->68pin adapters to use with 50pin drives.

And how is a 50-pin SCSI drive different from a 50-pin SCSI controller? Not.

> So I'm wondering, even though logically it doesn't sound likely,

But it does.

> if the reverse item exists that would allow an UW drive to be down-
> graded into a SCSI-2 drive for a SCSI-2 controller?

You already have it. Use one on the SCSI controller and you're done.

And btw, narrow or wide has nothing to do with SCSI-2 whatsoever.

> Thanks!
>
> --
> L.Angel: I'm looking for web design work.
> If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me :)
> Standard HTML, SHTML, MySQL + PHP or ASP, Javascript.
> If you really want, FrontPage & DreamWeaver too.
> But keep in mind you pay extra bandwidth for their bloated code

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 01:25:18 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra"
<see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:
>> The thing I'm wondering about is, is it possible to use the 68pin UW
>> drives with the 50-pin AHA-1520? The thing is because my UW card
>> came with 50->68pin adapters to use with 50pin drives.
>
>And how is a 50-pin SCSI drive different from a 50-pin SCSI controller? Not.

Erm, no difference between those two. BUT my only working card left is
a AHA-1520 (or 1522), it only has 50pin connectors. My hard drives are
all 68pins.

What I was refering to was my dead UW Card has 68 pins connectors, but
also come with 68->50 pins adapters I could use on SCSI-2 drives,
namely my SCSI CDRW.
i.e. 68 pins Card => 68 to 50 pins adapter => 50pins drive.

However, I'm not sure the reverse is available.
i.e. 50 pins card => 50 to 68 pins adapter => 68pins drive.

Found such an adapter 2 years ago. Availability now is questionable.
Said adapter was used to connect an AHA-2930CU to an IBM 9.3GB UW.

"The little lost angel" <a?n?g?e?l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com> wrote in message news:40f35198.1014633968@news.singnet.com.sg...
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 01:25:18 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:
> >> The thing I'm wondering about is, is it possible to use the 68-pin UW
> >> drives with the 50-pin AHA-1520? The thing is because my UW card
> >> came with 50->68pin adapters to use with 50-pin drives.
> >
> >And how is a 50-pin SCSI drive different from a 50-pin SCSI controller? Not.
>
> Erm, no difference between those two.

Right.
So what I said below, which you snipped and didn't bother to even read,
is therefor all true.
A 68->50-pin adapter is exactly the same as a 50->68-pin adapter.
It's all copper traces, nothing magic and no directionality involved.

The only difference is in what is the cable side and what is the device
sie and the cable width of the cable in use. Since you don't need to
change your cable nothing changes and the adapters you have are fine.

> BUT my only working card left is a AHA-1520 (or 1522), it only has
> 50pin connectors. My hard drives are all 68pins.

Yes, I can read. Can you?
Now go back to the other post and prove me wrong instead of mind-
lessly repeating your own post. Put one of your current adapters
on the 1520 and put the wide SCSI cable on it and be done with it.

> What I was refering to was my dead UW Card has 68 pins connectors,
> but also come with 68->50 pins adapters I could use on SCSI-2 drives,
> namely my SCSI CDRW.

Get it to your skull, narrow *NE* SCSI-2.

> i.e. 68 pins Card => 68 to 50 pins adapter => 50pins drive.

Yes, that is what you told us the first time. Nothing new.
Now go back to the other post and prove me wrong.

> However, I'm not sure the reverse is available.
> i.e. 50 pins card => 50 to 68 pins adapter => 68pins drive.

Yes, still nothing new. It's the same thing that you already have.

Are you so desperately lonely and confused that you need to hear
yourself talk in a newsgroup instead of simply trying what I suggested?

> > > So I'm wondering, even though logically it doesn't sound likely,
> >
> > But it does.
> >
> > > if the reverse item exists that would allow an UW drive to be down-
> > > graded into a SCSI-2 drive for a SCSI-2 controller?
> >
> > You already have it. Use one on the SCSI controller and you're done.
> >
> > And btw, narrow or wide has nothing to do with SCSI-2 whatsoever.

> --
> L.Angel: I'm looking for web design work.

Next time, try to hide your incompetence when you are begging for work.

"Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message news:alMIc.6347$kK.4302@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> Found such an adapter 2 years ago. Availability now is questionable.

> Said adapter was used to connect an AHA-2930CU to an IBM 9.3GB UW.

You don't want 50->68-pin adapters that fit between a narrow cable and
wide device connectors when you have *several* wide drives to connect and
they all want to see upperbyte termination (biasing). In such case you want
the drives on a wide *terminated* cable and convert only at the narrow
devices (including the SCSI controller). That convertors she already has.
If they were all in use she only needs to buy one more of the same.

<DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:BgDIc.4981$kK.2310@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> a?n?g?e?l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com (The little lost angel) wrote:
>
> > My old UW-SCSI controller died so I'm left with a pair of UW drives
> > and a spare old ISA controller that's only 50pin, AHA-1520 I think,
> > which came with my scanner or something.
> >
> > The thing I'm wondering about is, is it possible to use the 68pin UW
> > drives with the 50-pin AHA-1520? The thing is because my UW card
> > came with 50->68pin adapters to use with 50pin drives. So I'm
> > wondering, even though logically it doesn't sound likely, if the reverse
> > item exists that would allow an UW drive to be down-graded into a
> > SCSI-2 drive for a SCSI-2 controller?
>
> I think you should be able to use your UW drives on the old ISA
> controller, but it may slow them down.

> And you won't be able to boot from them if that controller doesn't
> have a BIOS (it probably doesn't).

Well, then the bootrom on my 1520 card must be for something else then.

However, the bios may not recognize the (partition) geometry that was in
use on the (possibly newer) UW controller if the 1520 bios is too old.

> I've connected an old Seagate Cheetah to an AHA-2842A (VLB)
> card, and it works fine although it's a bit slower than it could be.
> If you need an adapter, you could try www.cablemakers.com.

Understand. Hope the original poster does.

The little lost angel wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 01:25:18 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra"
> <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:
>>> The thing I'm wondering about is, is it possible to use the 68pin UW
>>> drives with the 50-pin AHA-1520? The thing is because my UW card
>>> came with 50->68pin adapters to use with 50pin drives.
>>
>>And how is a 50-pin SCSI drive different from a 50-pin SCSI controller?
>>Not.
>
> Erm, no difference between those two. BUT my only working card left is
> a AHA-1520 (or 1522), it only has 50pin connectors. My hard drives are
> all 68pins.
>
> What I was refering to was my dead UW Card has 68 pins connectors, but
> also come with 68->50 pins adapters I could use on SCSI-2 drives,
> namely my SCSI CDRW.
> i.e. 68 pins Card => 68 to 50 pins adapter => 50pins drive.
>
> However, I'm not sure the reverse is available.
> i.e. 50 pins card => 50 to 68 pins adapter => 68pins drive.

Other than M-F issues and termination if the 50 pin device is the last in
the chain there's no difference.

The adapters exist, however I haven't had to buy any in so long that I'm not
sure of a good source.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:05:11 GMT, "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net>
wrote:

I didn't get any of this sub thread on my ISP until this reply :(

>Understand. Hope the original poster does.

Not quite...

>> You don't want 50->68-pin adapters that fit between a narrow cable and
>> wide device connectors when you have *several* wide drives to connect and
>> they all want to see upperbyte termination (biasing). In such case you
>want the drives on a wide *terminated* cable and convert only at the narrow
>> devices (including the SCSI controller). That convertors she already has.
>> If they were all in use she only needs to buy one more of the same.

I understand the part about why I would want to use wide 68 pin cables
with the 68 pin drives because of termination issue. So the question
now would be, if I only have one narrow device, ie the controller, all
I would need would be as follows?

Controller -> 50-68pin adapter -> 68pin drive -> 68pin drive ->
termination

Importantly, I take it that such an adapter for narrow card to wide
drive, (not the normal wide card to narrow drive) does exist?

Thanks again!

a?n?g?e?l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com (The little lost angel) wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:05:11 GMT, "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net>
>wrote:
[snip]
>I understand the part about why I would want to use wide 68 pin cables
>with the 68 pin drives because of termination issue. So the question
>now would be, if I only have one narrow device, ie the controller, all
>I would need would be as follows?
>
>Controller -> 50-68pin adapter -> 68pin drive -> 68pin drive ->
>termination
>
>Importantly, I take it that such an adapter for narrow card to wide
>drive, (not the normal wide card to narrow drive) does exist?

I think this is what you want:
http://www.scsicablesource.com/images/scsa-3900t.jpg

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:56:42 GMT, DeepOne@ix.netcom.com wrote:

>>Controller -> 50-68pin adapter -> 68pin drive -> 68pin drive ->
>>termination
>>
>>Importantly, I take it that such an adapter for narrow card to wide
>>drive, (not the normal wide card to narrow drive) does exist?
>
>I think this is what you want:
>http://www.scsicablesource.com/images/scsa-3900t.jpg

Thank you very much!!!

<DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:u_hJc.9763$kK.2815@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net
> a?n?g?e?l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com (The little lost angel) wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:05:11 GMT, "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net>
> > wrote:
> [snip]
> > I understand the part about why I would want to use wide 68 pin cables
> > with the 68 pin drives because of termination issue. So the question
> > now would be, if I only have one narrow device, ie the controller, all
> > I would need would be as follows?
> >
> > Controller -> 50-68pin adapter -> 68pin drive -> 68pin drive ->
> > termination
> >
> > Importantly, I take it that such an adapter for narrow card to wide
> > drive, (not the normal wide card to narrow drive) does exist?
>
> I think this is what you want:
> http://www.scsicablesource.com/images/scsa-3900t.jpg

It's what she needs and already has sitting on her CDRom drive but obviously doesn't want.

"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:cd3g1g1ach@news2.newsguy.com
> The little lost angel wrote:

> > > And how is a 50-pin SCSI drive different from a 50-pin SCSI controller?
> > > Not.
> >
> > Erm, no difference between those two. BUT my only working card left is
> > a AHA-1520 (or 1522), it only has 50pin connectors. My hard drives are
> > all 68pins.
> >
> > What I was refering to was my dead UW Card has 68 pins connectors, but
> > also come with 68->50 pins adapters I could use on SCSI-2 drives,
> > namely my SCSI CDRW.
> > i.e. 68 pins Card => 68 to 50 pins adapter => 50pins drive.
> >
> > However, I'm not sure the reverse is available.
> > i.e. 50 pins card => 50 to 68 pins adapter => 68pins drive.
>
> Other than M-F issues and termination if the 50 pin device is the last in
> the chain there's no difference.
>

> The adapters exist,

Of course they do, as one sits on her CDRW drive.

"The little lost angel" <a?n?g?e?l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com> wrote in message news:40f5ffa1.2522734@news.singnet.com.sg
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:56:42 GMT, DeepOne@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>
> > > Controller -> 50-68pin adapter -> 68pin drive -> 68pin drive -> termination
> > >
> > > Importantly, I take it that such an adapter for narrow card to wide
> > > drive, (not the normal wide card to narrow drive) does exist?
> >
> > I think this is what you want:
> > http://www.scsicablesource.com/images/scsa-3900t.jpg
>
> Thank you very much!!!

For what, telling you the same that I did?
Or are you a child that only understands pictures?

What a trollster indeed you are.

"The little lost angel" <a?n?g?e?l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com> wrote in message news:40f51e1e.1132527984@news.singnet.com.sg
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:05:11 GMT, "Lil' Dave" spamyourself@virus.net wrote:
>
> I didn't get any of this sub thread on my ISP until this reply :(

That is because you killfiled me, don't you remember?
Short memory span?

> > Understand. Hope the original poster does.

Well, you can always hope.

> Not quite...

Yup. Fat chance!

> > > You don't want 50->68-pin adapters that fit between a narrow cable and
> > > wide device connectors when you have *several* wide drives to connect and
> > > they all want to see upperbyte termination (biasing). In such case you
> > want the drives on a wide *terminated* cable and convert only at the narrow
> > > devices (including the SCSI controller). That convertors she already has.
> > > If they were all in use she only needs to buy one more of the same.
>
> I understand the part about why I would want to use wide 68 pin cables
> with the 68 pin drives because of termination issue.

Yes, apparently your brain completely overloads after reading
one sentence and then the next sentence just woozes by.

> So the question now would be, if I only have one narrow device, ie the
> controller, all I would need would be as follows?
>
> Controller -> 50-68pin adapter -> 68pin drive -> 68pin drive -> termination

Well, that is a definite maybe when you have been told that several times now.

> Importantly, I take it that such an adapter for narrow card to wide
> drive, (not the normal wide card to narrow drive) does exist?

Yes woman.
When you see it sitting on your CDRW drive it means that it
exists and that it is not just a Fata Morgana.
Unless of course you are on drugs and are seeing things that are
not there and say you have things that you don't actually have.

> Thanks again!

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:16:31 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra"
<see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:

>"The little lost angel" <a?n?g?e?l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com> wrote in message news:40f51e1e.1132527984@news.singnet.com.sg
>> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:05:11 GMT, "Lil' Dave" spamyourself@virus.net wrote:
>>
>> I didn't get any of this sub thread on my ISP until this reply :(
>
>That is because you killfiled me, don't you remember?
>Short memory span?

I killfiled you? I don't remember doing that to ANYBODY in the first
place since I generally just ignore them instead. Plus if I did
killfile you, I wouldn't see this post of yours OR the previous one
which I replied to directly.

Maybe you got the wrong person? Bad memory?

>Yes, apparently your brain completely overloads after reading
>one sentence and then the next sentence just woozes by.

Do you know me that well to make remarks like this and expect it not
to be considered offensive? I might not be the sharpest tool in the
shed but that is no reason to make remarks like that on the basis of
these few posts.

>> So the question now would be, if I only have one narrow device, ie the
>> controller, all I would need would be as follows?
>> Controller -> 50-68pin adapter -> 68pin drive -> 68pin drive -> termination

>Well, that is a definite maybe when you have been told that several times now.

To me it has not been definitely confirmed and I prefer to make sure
of things like this instead of assuming and getting the wrong thing.

>> Importantly, I take it that such an adapter for narrow card to wide
>> drive, (not the normal wide card to narrow drive) does exist?
>
>Yes woman.
>When you see it sitting on your CDRW drive it means that it
>exists and that it is not just a Fata Morgana.
>Unless of course you are on drugs and are seeing things that are
>not there and say you have things that you don't actually have.

Is there again any good reason why I should assume that an adapter
that will work for 68pin controller to 50 pin drive would do the same
for a 50pin controller connector to a 68pin without any problem?
There're just too many things that "should work this way" according to
common sense, but don't in reality.

While you might be an expert on these SCSI stuff and perhaps know them
inside out from the protocol to the actual electrical connections. But
for me, it only make sense to confirm things before buying/trying to
plug anything in and risk damaging my drives.

You sir, might be an expert on these things technically and maybe
everything that made sense in your mind automatically becomes so in
reality without the need to confer with others. But it would do your
personal standing wonders if you would keep in mind not everybody else
is.

"The little lost angel" <a?n?g?e?l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com> wrote in message news:40f88e27.24456609@news.singnet.com.sg
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:16:31 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:
>
> > "The little lost angel" <a?n?g?e?l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com> wrote in message news:40f51e1e.1132527984@news.singnet.com.sg
> > > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:05:11 GMT, "Lil' Dave" spamyourself@virus.net wrote:
> > >
> > > I didn't get any of this sub thread on my ISP until this reply :(
> >
> > That is because you killfiled me, don't you remember?
> > Short memory span?
>
> I killfiled you? I don't remember doing that to ANYBODY in the first place

> since I generally just ignore them instead.

Right, to all intends and purposes, you killfiled me.

> Plus if I did killfile you, I wouldn't see this post of yours OR the previous one
> which I replied to directly.

Or you just couldn't ignore your curiousity.

> Maybe you got the wrong person? Bad memory?

I know who you are and what group you live in and who "loverboy" is.
How is my friend Keith R. Williams these days?
Still his old charming self, is he?

> > Yes, apparently your brain completely overloads after reading
> > one sentence and then the next sentence just woozes by.
>
> Do you know me that well to make remarks like this and expect it not
> to be considered offensive? I might but that is no reason to make
> remarks like that on the basis of these few posts.

"just ignore" does the trick for me for being offended.

> > > So the question now would be, if I only have one narrow device, ie the
> > > controller, all I would need would be as follows?
> > > Controller -> 50-68pin adapter -> 68pin drive -> 68pin drive -> termination
>
> > Well, that is a definite maybe when you have been told that several times now.
>
> To me it has not been definitely confirmed and I prefer to make sure
> of things like this instead of assuming and getting the wrong thing.

No you don't, when you accepted a picture, FCS.

> > > Importantly, I take it that such an adapter for narrow card to wide
> > > drive, (not the normal wide card to narrow drive) does exist?
> >
> > Yes woman.
> > When you see it sitting on your CDRW drive it means that it
> > exists and that it is not just a Fata Morgana.
> > Unless of course you are on drugs and are seeing things that are
> > not there and say you have things that you don't actually have.
>
> Is there again any good reason why I should assume that an adapter
> that will work for 68pin controller to 50 pin drive would do the same
> for a 50pin controller connector to a 68pin without any problem?

Nonetheless you did when someone showed you (just) a picture.

> There're just too many things that "should work this way" according to
> common sense, but don't in reality.

No, there aren't, and I told you why.

> While you might be an expert on these SCSI stuff and perhaps know them
> inside out from the protocol to the actual electrical connections.

> But for me, it only make sense to confirm things before buying/trying to
> plug anything in and risk damaging my drives.

Ah, and that is why you came to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage instead
of comp.periphs.scsi, where the SCSI experts live.

And when someone showed you a picture of something that looked of what I
said but in reality had a confusing description when title and description
were obviously different and contradictive, you now felt save?

SCSA-3900T "High density 68F to Internal ribbon 50F"
"Connect a 50 pin device to a 68 pin bus while still terminating the high byte properly.
Hi-byte term is active. Allows narrow drives to be attached to a wide bus."

That one is the same that you have (SCSA-3900) except that it is to
be used on a narrow and terminated device at the end of a wide cable.

Yes, you are indeed "not be the sharpest tool in the shed".

> You sir, might be an expert on these things technically and maybe
> everything that made sense in your mind automatically becomes so in
> reality without the need to confer with others. But it would do your
> personal standing wonders if you would keep in mind not everybody
> else is.

Ah, so that is why you came to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage in
stead of comp.periphs.scsi. You need pictorials.