how to extract audio clip from jpg metadata (hp cameras) ???

hi all!
hi do I extract an audio clip embedded in a jpg by my camers ( hp
photosmart 945, or hp 935 and similar models ) ???

I can listen to it with the software from hp.
I've also seen that hp software extracts a wav file from the jpg and
then asks my audio player to play it .
yet I'd like a freeware/open source software to extract systematically
audio clips from my jpgs folders and save with the same name of the
source picture.

I mean.. I have jane.jpg ... I'd like a software to create
magicautomatically a file jane.wav from jane.jpg.

is there such a software?

thank you all in advance.
roberto

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 18:36:58 GMT, +RoZ
<coolrozDONTSPAMMEPLEAsE@yahoo.com> wrote:

>hi all!
>hi do I extract an audio clip embedded in a jpg by my camers ( hp
>photosmart 945, or hp 935 and similar models ) ???
>
>I can listen to it with the software from hp.
>I've also seen that hp software extracts a wav file from the jpg and
>then asks my audio player to play it .
>yet I'd like a freeware/open source software to extract systematically
>audio clips from my jpgs folders and save with the same name of the
>source picture.
>
>I mean.. I have jane.jpg ... I'd like a software to create
>magicautomatically a file jane.wav from jane.jpg.
>
>is there such a software?
>
>thank you all in advance.
>roberto

You need to look a little closer. The HP735 creates EITHER a jpg
file (with no audio) or an AVI movie file with audio.

Your sound equipment can pick out the audio from the line-out jack on
the sound card.

Pj

PJx wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 18:36:58 GMT, +RoZ
> <coolrozDONTSPAMMEPLEAsE@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> hi all!
>> hi do I extract an audio clip embedded in a jpg by my camers ( hp
>> photosmart 945, or hp 935 and similar models ) ???
>>
>> I can listen to it with the software from hp.
>> I've also seen that hp software extracts a wav file from the jpg and
>> then asks my audio player to play it .
>> yet I'd like a freeware/open source software to extract
>> systematically audio clips from my jpgs folders and save with the
>> same name of the source picture.
>>
>> I mean.. I have jane.jpg ... I'd like a software to create
>> magicautomatically a file jane.wav from jane.jpg.
>>
>> is there such a software?
>>
>> thank you all in advance.
>> roberto
>>

> You need to look a little closer. The HP735 creates EITHER a jpg
> file (with no audio) or an AVI movie file with audio.
>
> Your sound equipment can pick out the audio from the line-out jack on
> the sound card.
>
> Pj

Not true. You can record audio with a JPG picture, which is playable
with HP's software, but not with an image viewer program.

You cannot record audio in a jpeg. The audio file is another file with a
similiar name.

Gymmy Bob wrote:
> You cannot record audio in a jpeg. The audio file is another file
> with a similiar name.

Don't see one. Do you have an HP camera? If so, perhaps you could help
me find this other file.

--
You can either agree with me, or be wrong.

I do not have an HP camera but when you download your pics by cut'n paste
you will see some .wav or some other sound format files there with the sound
on them.

Gymmy Bob wrote:
> I do not have an HP camera but when you download your pics by cut'n
> paste you will see some .wav or some other sound format files there
> with the sound on them.

'Fraid not. The average JPG file from the camera is 1 MB in size at mid
qualtity setting. Taking a picture, and recording a few seconds of
sound, results in a JPG file 1.3 MB in size. There is no other file.

> "ICee" <icee@thelight.invalid> wrote in message
>> Gymmy Bob wrote:
>>> You cannot record audio in a jpeg. The audio file is another file
>>> with a similiar name.
>>
>> Don't see one. Do you have an HP camera? If so, perhaps you could
>> help me find this other file.
>>
>>> "ICee" <icee@thelight.invalid> wrote in message

>> --
>> You can either agree with me, or be wrong.

--
You can either agree with me, or be wrong.

'Fraid so. JPegs do not contain audio by definition.

> Gymmy Bob wrote:
> > I do not have an HP camera but when you download your pics by cut'n
> > paste you will see some .wav or some other sound format files there
> > with the sound on them.
>
> 'Fraid not. The average JPG file from the camera is 1 MB in size at mid
> qualtity setting. Taking a picture, and recording a few seconds of
> sound, results in a JPG file 1.3 MB in size. There is no other file.
>
> > "ICee" <icee@thelight.invalid> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Don't see one. Do you have an HP camera? If so, perhaps you could
> >> help me find this other file.

> >> --
> >> You can either agree with me, or be wrong.
>
> --
> You can either agree with me, or be wrong.

It must be combined and will require a non-standard reader to get the audio
out. My three that record sound do it in a separate file with the same name.

Gymmy Bob wrote:
> It must be combined and will require a non-standard reader to get the
> audio out. My three that record sound do it in a separate file with
> the same name.

Which is exactly what I, and the OP, said to begin with. The audio is
encoded, combined, whatever, into the JPG file, which (the audio) is
only playable with HP software. I *know* this, because I have an HP 735
camera. The file shows up in Windows as a larger than normal JPG file,
since the audio is there as well, *in the same file*. The audio portion
is completly transparent to Windows.

> "Gymmy Bob" <nospamming@bite.me> wrote in message
>> 'Fraid so. JPegs do not contain audio by definition.
>>
>> "ICee" <icee@thelight.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> 'Fraid not. The average JPG file from the camera is 1 MB in size
>>> at mid qualtity setting. Taking a picture, and recording a few
>>> seconds of sound, results in a JPG file 1.3 MB in size. There is
>>> no other file.

I believe you are mistaken.

My HP-735 creates AVI files when I do movie mode and JPG files when I
do pictures. I've got the latest software - updated today and there
is no combining of audio into jpg files.

PJ

PJx wrote:
> I believe you are mistaken.

No, I believe *you* are mistaken. Did you read the manual?

Page 32 of the manual:
"Recording audio"
NOTE: This section applies only to still pictures. Audio is
automatically recorded with video clips.

To paraphrase, you take a picture and continue to hold the button down,
and after a a second or so, audio is recorded and attached to the
picture file for as long as you hold the button down (see steps 1
through 3).

That picture file (xxxx.JPG) will display with a speaker icon in the
upper right of the picture when the picture is viewed with HP Photo &
Imaging software. If you click on the speaker icon, the audio will
play.

I tested this again, and captured a picture with audio to a blank 64 MB
SD card. I then transferred the picture file to the PC using a card
reader. The only file on the card was HPIM314.JPG. When viewing the
file in HP Photo & Imaging, there is a speaker icon in the upper right
of the file and it plays the audio when clicked on. The same file in
picture and fax viewer on XP is displayed as expected, and there is no
speaker icon.

Try it.

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 11:51:49 -0400, "ICee" <icee@thelight.invalid>
wrote:

>PJx wrote:
>> I believe you are mistaken.
>
>No, I believe *you* are mistaken. Did you read the manual?
>
>Page 32 of the manual:
>"Recording audio"
>NOTE: This section applies only to still pictures. Audio is
>automatically recorded with video clips.

Video clips... That was my mistake. I didn't read carefully. I
haven't tried it but I believe you.
My apologies.

Pj

PJx wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 11:51:49 -0400, "ICee" <icee@thelight.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> PJx wrote:
>>> I believe you are mistaken.
>>
>> No, I believe *you* are mistaken. Did you read the manual?
>>
>> Page 32 of the manual:
>> "Recording audio"
>> NOTE: This section applies only to still pictures. Audio is
>> automatically recorded with video clips.
>
> Video clips... That was my mistake. I didn't read carefully. I
> haven't tried it but I believe you.
> My apologies.
>
> Pj

NP. See, it can do more than you thought. :)