External USB 2.0 Disk Drive: Reads are Fine, Writes are Ve..

Greetings. I recently installed an AcomDATA 160GB USB 2.0 drive on a
notebook running WinXP SP1 with the appropriate MS USB 2.0 patch. I
went through the usual efforts to make sure that 2.0 was enabled on
the PPA brand USB 2.0 PCMCIA adapter I'm using (the usual NEC
chipset).

The drive was recognized fine (no warnings about a high speed USB
device on a low speed port) and I formatted it as NTFS with 4K
clusters.

It reads fine -- a 1.3GB file can be copied out in under 5 minutes, so
I know that USB 2.0 is in use. But writes are awful, no better than
3Mb/s, and often hangs as well. HDTACH insists that the drive is
using USB 1.1, despite the read throughput I'm seeing on file copies
and other evidence.

I suspect a problem related to XP/drivers, but I'd certainly be
grateful for any suggestions. Thanks very much.

--Lauren--
lauren@vortex.com

Andy

Check the Event Viewer for possible error messages.