I've always read that when you set up a RAID 5 array you generally
give up approximately 1 drive worth of storage space. Does this hold
true no matter how many drives are in the array? For instance, in a
12 drive array?

I've also always read that the overall read performance of the array
increases with then number of spindles in the array. Is there some
point of diminishing (or negative) returns to this? Say on a 12 drive
PATA or SATA RAID 5 controller, if you don't need the expanded space
of a single 12 drive array, might there be any avantages to operating
two 6 drive arrays on the same controller?

"Eli" <nobody@anywhere.com> wrote in message
> I've always read that when you set up a RAID 5 array you generally
> give up approximately 1 drive worth of storage space.

True.

> Does this hold
> true no matter how many drives are in the array? For instance, in a
> 12 drive array?

Yes.

> I've also always read that the overall read performance of the array
> increases with then number of spindles in the array.

Yes.

> Is there some
> point of diminishing (or negative) returns to this? Say on a 12 drive
> PATA or SATA RAID 5 controller, if you don't need the expanded space
> of a single 12 drive array, might there be any avantages to operating
> two 6 drive arrays on the same controller?

Depends entirely on details/specifics of the RAID controller, configuration
and OS/drivers.

Two 6 drive arrays will have 1/12 less space.

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:47:44 -0600, Eli <nobody@anywhere.com> wrote:

>I've always read that when you set up a RAID 5 array you generally
>give up approximately 1 drive worth of storage space. Does this hold
>true no matter how many drives are in the array? For instance, in a
>12 drive array?

Yes.

>I've also always read that the overall read performance of the array
>increases with then number of spindles in the array. Is there some
>point of diminishing (or negative) returns to this? Say on a 12 drive
>PATA or SATA RAID 5 controller, if you don't need the expanded space
>of a single 12 drive array, might there be any avantages to operating
>two 6 drive arrays on the same controller?

Not on a PATA or SATA controller. But on a SCSI controller you might
want to use multiple SCSI channels. 12 drives on 1 channel might
saturate that channel. Some controllers will let you create a single
Raid4 array using multiple scsi channels. For some others you might
need to create multiple arrays.

PATA and SATA controllers don't have this issue since you have a
dedicated ide channel for every disk.

Multiple spindles increase the performance of the array for two main
reasons:
1) the sequeantial transfer rate increases with more spindles. Might
be usefull in some rare situations were you really need that. But in
those situations you will probably already saturate the pci bus with 6
drives and won't gain anything more with 12 drives. (creating two
arrays also won't help then, because the pci bus is then the limiting
factor

2) average seektimes decrease with more spindles. The reason for this
is that while part of the array is retrieving a file, other parts of
the array that don't contain the data for that file can retrieve
another file at the same time. When your array has more spindles the
chance of this becomes bigger. (It is of course also dependent on the
size of your files, the stripesize, and whether your server opens a
lot of files, or just one at a time)

Marc

When thinking about that 12 port RAID controller, keep in mind drive failure
and hot spares, I wouldn't plan on using ALL of the drives for the array. I
have a small raid 5 array of 3 disks, if 1 drive fails my data is still
intact but I would feel most comfortable with a hot spare just in case
another drive fails the same day-I do not currently have a hot spare. With
a much larger array, the chances of drive failure are greater so I would
consider at least 1 hot spare an absolute necessity, 2 hot spares even
better. 12 drives at 250GB each is 3 TB of data. Using them in a raid 5
array with 2 hotspares and you have 2.25TB of data that is pretty darn safe.
I don't even like thinking about having that much data to take care of, what
a nightmare if something goes wrong!

--Dan

"Marc de Vries" <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:4tj9f0looo37ameke4kvof9behakeb44ll@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:47:44 -0600, Eli <nobody@anywhere.com> wrote:
>
> > I've always read that when you set up a RAID 5 array you generally
> > give up approximately 1 drive worth of storage space. Does this hold
> > true no matter how many drives are in the array? For instance, in a
> > 12 drive array?
>
> Yes.
>
> > I've also always read that the overall read performance of the array
> > increases with then number of spindles in the array. Is there some
> > point of diminishing (or negative) returns to this? Say on a 12 drive
> > PATA or SATA RAID 5 controller, if you don't need the expanded
> > space of a single 12 drive array, might there be any avantages to
> > operating two 6 drive arrays on the same controller?
>
> Not on a PATA or SATA controller. But on a SCSI controller you
> might want to use multiple SCSI channels. 12 drives on 1 channel might
> saturate that channel. Some controllers will let you create a single
> Raid4 array using multiple scsi channels. For some others you might
> need to create multiple arrays.
>
> PATA and SATA controllers don't have this issue since you have a
> dedicated ide channel for every disk.

Not with PATA.
It is still *your* choice to not use a second drive on same channel.

> Multiple spindles increase the performance of the array for two main
> reasons:
> 1) the sequeantial transfer rate increases with more spindles.

That is for striped arrays.

> Might be usefull in some rare situations were you really need that. But
> in those situations you will probably already saturate the pci bus with
> 6 drives and won't gain anything more with 12 drives. (creating two ar-
> rays also won't help then, because the pci bus is then the limiting factor
>
> 2) average seektimes decrease with more spindles.

That is for mirrored arrays.

> The reason for this is that while part of the array is retrieving a file,
> other parts of the array that don't contain the data for that file can
> retrieve another file at the same time.

So that's not really seek time. Just another way of how transfer rate increases.

> When your array has more spindles the chance of this becomes bigger.

> (It is of course also dependent on the
> size of your files, the stripesize, and whether your server opens a
> lot of files, or just one at a time)

So no.

> Marc

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:15:57 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra"
<see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:

>"Marc de Vries" <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:4tj9f0looo37ameke4kvof9behakeb44ll@4ax.com...
>> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:47:44 -0600, Eli <nobody@anywhere.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I've always read that when you set up a RAID 5 array you generally
>> > give up approximately 1 drive worth of storage space. Does this hold
>> > true no matter how many drives are in the array? For instance, in a
>> > 12 drive array?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> > I've also always read that the overall read performance of the array
>> > increases with then number of spindles in the array. Is there some
>> > point of diminishing (or negative) returns to this? Say on a 12 drive
>> > PATA or SATA RAID 5 controller, if you don't need the expanded
>> > space of a single 12 drive array, might there be any avantages to
>> > operating two 6 drive arrays on the same controller?
>>
>> Not on a PATA or SATA controller. But on a SCSI controller you
>> might want to use multiple SCSI channels. 12 drives on 1 channel might
>> saturate that channel. Some controllers will let you create a single
>> Raid4 array using multiple scsi channels. For some others you might
>> need to create multiple arrays.
>>
>> PATA and SATA controllers don't have this issue since you have a
>> dedicated ide channel for every disk.
>
>Not with PATA.
>It is still *your* choice to not use a second drive on same channel.

I have never seen a PATA Raid5 controller where each drive didn't have
a dedicated ide channel.
But you are right in the case of some Raid 0/1/10 controllers where
you can have two drives connected on a ide channel, although you then
loose the hotplug capability of those cards.

>> Multiple spindles increase the performance of the array for two main
>> reasons:
>> 1) the sequeantial transfer rate increases with more spindles.
>
>That is for striped arrays.

Raid5 is also a form of stiping, so it also applies here.

>> Might be usefull in some rare situations were you really need that. But
>> in those situations you will probably already saturate the pci bus with
>> 6 drives and won't gain anything more with 12 drives. (creating two ar-
>> rays also won't help then, because the pci bus is then the limiting factor
>>
>> 2) average seektimes decrease with more spindles.
>
>That is for mirrored arrays.

Wrong. It applies to all forms of Raid. Although it also depends on
the implementation. Very old and/or cheap arrays didn't support this
in the past, not even in mirrors. But nowadays almost any controller
supports it.

>> The reason for this is that while part of the array is retrieving a file,
>> other parts of the array that don't contain the data for that file can
>> retrieve another file at the same time.
>
>So that's not really seek time. Just another way of how transfer rate increases.

No. It has nothing at all to do with transfer rate. I can retrieve
multiple small files simultaneously, but since the files are small it
is not something that is determined by transfer rate, so not something
for which I need the bigger transfersrates of Raid arrays. I won't
even exceed the transferrate of a single disk with those files.
But the perceived seek time of the array will be smaller than the
minimum seek time of a single disk. So it is exactly as I said: the
average seektime of the entire array decrease with more spindles.
Of course this only works if you open more then one file.

>> When your array has more spindles the chance of this becomes bigger.
>
>> (It is of course also dependent on the
>> size of your files, the stripesize, and whether your server opens a
>> lot of files, or just one at a time)
>
>So no.

You will now understand that the correct answer is: So yes.

Marc

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 17:24:50 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:

>When thinking about that 12 port RAID controller, keep in mind drive failure
>and hot spares, I wouldn't plan on using ALL of the drives for the array. I
>have a small raid 5 array of 3 disks, if 1 drive fails my data is still
>intact but I would feel most comfortable with a hot spare just in case
>another drive fails the same day-I do not currently have a hot spare. With
>a much larger array, the chances of drive failure are greater so I would
>consider at least 1 hot spare an absolute necessity, 2 hot spares even
>better. 12 drives at 250GB each is 3 TB of data. Using them in a raid 5
>array with 2 hotspares and you have 2.25TB of data that is pretty darn safe.
>I don't even like thinking about having that much data to take care of, what
>a nightmare if something goes wrong!

Who says that he will be using 250GB disks?

It's common practice to use small disks in arrays with many spindles
to increase performance of the array. For example: my servers have
Raid6 arrays consisting of 14 disks of 36GB each.

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 08:24:18 +0200, Marc de Vries <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 17:24:50 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When thinking about that 12 port RAID controller, keep in mind drive failure
>> and hot spares, I wouldn't plan on using ALL of the drives for the array. I
>> have a small raid 5 array of 3 disks, if 1 drive fails my data is still
>> intact but I would feel most comfortable with a hot spare just in case
>> another drive fails the same day-I do not currently have a hot spare. With
>> a much larger array, the chances of drive failure are greater so I would
>> consider at least 1 hot spare an absolute necessity, 2 hot spares even
>> better. 12 drives at 250GB each is 3 TB of data. Using them in a raid 5
>> array with 2 hotspares and you have 2.25TB of data that is pretty darn safe.
>> I don't even like thinking about having that much data to take care of, what
>> a nightmare if something goes wrong!
>
> Who says that he will be using 250GB disks?
>
> It's common practice to use small disks in arrays with many spindles
> to increase performance of the array. For example: my servers have
> Raid6 arrays consisting of 14 disks of 36GB each.

What have you found speedwise? I seem to get about the same transfer rate off a 160GB disk than off a striped pair of 80s, as the 160 is inherently faster. Hence I only stripe if it's cheaper to do so (or impossible not to - like you canot get a 500GB IDE)

--
*****TWO BABY CONURES***** 15 parrots and increasing http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com

"I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence?

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:35:33 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
<hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 08:24:18 +0200, Marc de Vries <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 17:24:50 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> When thinking about that 12 port RAID controller, keep in mind drive failure
>>> and hot spares, I wouldn't plan on using ALL of the drives for the array. I
>>> have a small raid 5 array of 3 disks, if 1 drive fails my data is still
>>> intact but I would feel most comfortable with a hot spare just in case
>>> another drive fails the same day-I do not currently have a hot spare. With
>>> a much larger array, the chances of drive failure are greater so I would
>>> consider at least 1 hot spare an absolute necessity, 2 hot spares even
>>> better. 12 drives at 250GB each is 3 TB of data. Using them in a raid 5
>>> array with 2 hotspares and you have 2.25TB of data that is pretty darn safe.
>>> I don't even like thinking about having that much data to take care of, what
>>> a nightmare if something goes wrong!
>>
>> Who says that he will be using 250GB disks?
>>
>> It's common practice to use small disks in arrays with many spindles
>> to increase performance of the array. For example: my servers have
>> Raid6 arrays consisting of 14 disks of 36GB each.
>
>What have you found speedwise? I seem to get about the same transfer rate off a 160GB disk than off a striped pair of 80s, as the 160 is inherently faster. Hence I only stripe if it's cheaper to do so (or impossible not to - like you canot get a 500GB IDE)

Why would the 160 be inherently faster? Or are the 80s older drives?

Drives of the same series should have the same transferrate no matter
the size.

I use multiple spindles to get higher IO/s, not to get higher
transferrates. So I have never checked the performancegain on
transfferrates on my servers.

But I have a promise Sata Raid5 card in my desktop at home, and I
definitely get a much higher transferrate from that array of 4 disks
then from a single drive.

There are also lots of reviews and people on ng where two disks are
striped with onboard el-cheapo raid cards where the transferrate is
much higher than with a single disk.

So I'm suprised that you see about the same transfer rate. with two
striped disks.

But very little applications benefit from higher transferrates. When
applications benefit from raid arrays it is usually because of higher
IO/s

Marc

> Who says that he will be using 250GB disks?

Nobody.

> It's common practice to use small disks in arrays with many spindles
> to increase performance of the array. For example: my servers have
> Raid6 arrays consisting of 14 disks of 36GB each.

Who says that he will be using 36GB disks?

Exactly.
--Dan

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:40:09 +0200, Marc de Vries <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:35:33 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
> <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Who says that he will be using 250GB disks?
>>>
>>> It's common practice to use small disks in arrays with many spindles
>>> to increase performance of the array. For example: my servers have
>>> Raid6 arrays consisting of 14 disks of 36GB each.
>>
>> What have you found speedwise? I seem to get about the same transfer rate off a 160GB disk than off a striped pair of 80s, as the 160 is inherently faster. Hence I only stripe if it's cheaper to do so (or impossible not to - like you canot get a 500GB IDE)
>
> Why would the 160 be inherently faster? Or are the 80s older drives?
>
> Drives of the same series should have the same transferrate no matter
> the size.

Cecause bigger drives are newer technology, or if they are the same technology, they have more platters - hence it's almost a raid in itself.

> I use multiple spindles to get higher IO/s, not to get higher
> transferrates. So I have never checked the performancegain on
> transfferrates on my servers.

What would you recommend for cluster sizes? This is a desktop but I do a lot of stuff at once, and it's also a web server.

> But I have a promise Sata Raid5 card in my desktop at home, and I
> definitely get a much higher transferrate from that array of 4 disks
> then from a single drive.
>
> There are also lots of reviews and people on ng where two disks are
> striped with onboard el-cheapo raid cards where the transferrate is
> much higher than with a single disk.
>
> So I'm suprised that you see about the same transfer rate. with two
> striped disks.
>
> But very little applications benefit from higher transferrates. When
> applications benefit from raid arrays it is usually because of higher
> IO/s

The non-increase in transfer rate was when I was trying to do video capture.

--
*****TWO BABY CONURES***** 15 parrots and increasing http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
Served from a pentawatercooled dual silent Athlon 2.8 with terrabyte raid

What has four legs, is big, green, fuzzy, and if it fell out of a tree would kill you?

A pool table.

Peter Hucker wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:40:09 +0200, Marc de Vries
> <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:35:33 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
>> <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:

>>> What have you found speedwise? I seem to get about the same transfer
>>> rate off a 160GB disk than off a striped pair of 80s, as the 160 is
>>> inherently faster. Hence I only stripe if it's cheaper to do so (or
>>> impossible not to - like you canot get a 500GB IDE)
>>
>> Why would the 160 be inherently faster? Or are the 80s older drives?
>>
>> Drives of the same series should have the same transferrate no matter
>> the size.
>
> Cecause bigger drives are newer technology, or if they are the same
> technology, they have more platters - hence it's almost a raid in itself.

That's a common misconception. Drives with multiple platters do not in
general perform parallel reads on those platters--while there might on some
occasions be a slight performance gain if the data pattern is such that
access can be by a head-switch and short seek rather than a long seek, the
gain is going to be very, very minor unless the data is carefully
structured to match the drive.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

"Marc de Vries" <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:h8qcf01q0c1kjveid3ik3iq7rncest7lj7@4ax.com
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:35:33 +0100, "Peter Hucker" <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Who says that he will be using 250GB disks?
> > >
> > > It's common practice to use small disks in arrays with many spindles
> > > to increase performance of the array. For example: my servers have
> > > Raid6 arrays consisting of 14 disks of 36GB each.
> >
> > What have you found speedwise? I seem to get about the same transfer
> > rate off a 160GB disk than off a striped pair of 80s, as the 160 is
> > inherently faster. Hence I only stripe if it's cheaper to do so (or
> > impossible not to - like you canot get a 500GB IDE)
>
> Why would the 160 be inherently faster? Or are the 80s older drives?
>
> Drives of the same series should have the same transferrate no matter
> the size.
>
> I use multiple spindles to get higher IO/s, not to get higher transfer
> rates. So I have never checked the performance gain on transferrates
> on my servers.
>
> But I have a promise Sata Raid5 card in my desktop at home, and I
> definitely get a much higher transferrate from that array of 4 disks
> then from a single drive.
>
> There are also lots of reviews and people on ng where two disks are
> striped with onboard el-cheapo raid cards where the transferrate is
> much higher than with a single disk.
>
> So I'm suprised that you see about the same transfer rate. with two
> striped disks.
>
> But very little applications benefit from higher transferrates.
> When applications benefit from raid arrays it is usually because of
> higher IO/s.

Which of course is one and the same if you look at speed only
(IO/s is MB/s, more IO/s is more MB/s).
What IO/s doesn't say is how big the IOs are and how much time is
spent in seeks relative to larger IO and how that affects transfer
rate. So more IO isn't necessarily faster IO when the same amount
of IO is broken into more and thus smaller pieces.

IOs, not IO/s, is important to servers to get the most out of the
bus (Queueing, reordering) and to distribute IO fairly among users
(cutting up potentially larger IO into smaller IO) for response
continuity, at the same time.

"Marc de Vries" <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:gp7cf0dd6qjbbr1c0tuem00u21mvjhe7n2@4ax.com
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:15:57 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:
> > "Marc de Vries" <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:4tj9f0looo37ameke4kvof9behakeb44ll@4ax.com...
> > > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:47:44 -0600, Eli <nobody@anywhere.com> wrote:

[snip]

> > > PATA and SATA controllers don't have this issue since you have a
> > > dedicated ide channel for every disk.
> >
> > Not with PATA.
> > It is still *your* choice to not use a second drive on same channel.
>
> I have never seen a PATA Raid5 controller where each drive didn't have
> a dedicated ide channel.

Which obviously is entirely firmware limited unless the IDE chip used is
selfdesigned and doesn't support M/S.

> But you are right in the case of some Raid 0/1/10 controllers where
> you can have two drives connected on a ide channel, although you then
> loose the hotplug capability of those cards.

What has that got to do with hotplugging?

> > > Multiple spindles increase the performance of the array for two main
> > > reasons:
> > > 1) the sequeantial transfer rate increases with more spindles.
> >
> > That is for striped arrays.
>
> Raid5 is also a form of stiping, so it also applies here.

Yes, and where did I say different?
That is why I said "That is for striped arrays" and not "Raid0".
Get it now?

> > > Might be usefull in some rare situations were you really need that. But
> > > in those situations you will probably already saturate the pci bus with
> > > 6 drives and won't gain anything more with 12 drives. (creating two ar-
> > > rays also won't help then, because the pci bus is then the limiting factor
> > >
> > > 2) average seektimes decrease with more spindles.
> >
> > That is for mirrored arrays.
>
> Wrong. It applies to all forms of Raid. Although it also depends on
> the implementation. Very old and/or cheap arrays didn't support this
> in the past, not even in mirrors. But nowadays almost any controller
> supports it.

Supports what? What is "it"?

> > > The reason for this is that while part of the array is retrieving a file,
> > > other parts of the array that don't contain the data for that file can
> > > retrieve another file at the same time.
> >
> > So that's not really seek time. Just another way of how transfer rate increases.
>
> No. It has nothing at all to do with transfer rate. I can retrieve
> multiple small files simultaneously, but since the files are small it
> is not something that is determined by transfer rate, so not something
> for which I need the bigger transfersrates of Raid arrays. I won't
> even exceed the transferrate of a single disk with those files.

> But the perceived

Right, "perceived".

> seek time of the array will be smaller than the minimum seek time of
> a single disk. So it is exactly as I said:

> the average seektime of the entire array decrease with more spindles.

Which obviously is false when it is "perceived" like that.
Perceived, as the word means, is a false assumption.

If transfer rate exists of STR divided by (seektime and actual
transfer time) per time unit and you then increase the STR you could
also say that that is perceived as if the seektime was decreased com-
pared to the old STR just because the total transfer time decreased.
It's not so.

> Of course this only works if you open more then one file.

Thanks for confirming that this is
"Just another way of how transfer rate increases".

And btw, just as well you can say that when seektime (total time spent
in seeks) decreases that that is "perceived" as increased transfer rate.

> > > When your array has more spindles the chance of this becomes bigger.
> >
> > > (It is of course also dependent on the size of your files, the stripesize,
> > > and whether your server opens a lot of files, or just one at a time)
> >
> > So no.
>
> You will now understand

You have no say in that whatsoever.

> that the correct answer is: So yes.

So no (hint: stripesize on mirrors?).

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:47:09 -0400, J. Clarke <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Peter Hucker wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:40:09 +0200, Marc de Vries
>> <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote:

<snip>

>>> Why would the 160 be inherently faster? Or are the 80s older drives?
>>>
>>> Drives of the same series should have the same transferrate no matter
>>> the size.
>>
>> Cecause bigger drives are newer technology, or if they are the same
>> technology, they have more platters - hence it's almost a raid in itself.
>
> That's a common misconception. Drives with multiple platters do not in
> general perform parallel reads on those platters--while there might on some
> occasions be a slight performance gain if the data pattern is such that
> access can be by a head-switch and short seek rather than a long seek, the
> gain is going to be very, very minor unless the data is carefully
> structured to match the drive.

Well I've generally found the bigger the faster. Probably because when you get a bigger drive it's usually newer technology.

--
*****TWO BABY CONURES***** 15 parrots and increasing http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
Served from a pentawatercooled dual silent Athlon 2.8 with terrabyte raid

When eating a tongue sandwich, how do you know when you've finished?

Peter Hucker wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:47:09 -0400, J. Clarke <jclarke@nospam.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Peter Hucker wrote:

> <snip>

>>> Cecause bigger drives are newer technology, or if they are the same
>>> technology, they have more platters - hence it's almost a raid in
>>> itself.
>>
>> That's a common misconception. Drives with multiple platters do not in
>> general perform parallel reads on those platters--while there might on
>> some occasions be a slight performance gain if the data pattern is such
>> that access can be by a head-switch and short seek rather than a long
>> seek, the gain is going to be very, very minor unless the data is
>> carefully structured to match the drive.
>
> Well I've generally found the bigger the faster. Probably because when
> you get a bigger drive it's usually newer technology.

Generally newer drives fit more data on a track, so can read or write more
in a single revolution, so get a higher data transfer rate.

--

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:47:51 -0400, J. Clarke <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Peter Hucker wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:47:09 -0400, J. Clarke <jclarke@nospam.invalid>
>> wrote:

<snip>
>> <snip>
<snip>

>>> That's a common misconception. Drives with multiple platters do not in
>>> general perform parallel reads on those platters--while there might on
>>> some occasions be a slight performance gain if the data pattern is such
>>> that access can be by a head-switch and short seek rather than a long
>>> seek, the gain is going to be very, very minor unless the data is
>>> carefully structured to match the drive.
>>
>> Well I've generally found the bigger the faster. Probably because when
>> you get a bigger drive it's usually newer technology.
>
> Generally newer drives fit more data on a track, so can read or write more
> in a single revolution, so get a higher data transfer rate.

So I stand by my argument - always buy bigger first, then raid :)

--
*****TWO BABY CONURES***** 15 parrots and increasing http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
Served from a pentawatercooled dual silent Athlon 2.8 with terrabyte raid

Bikini e pareo, camicia di pizzo e shorts, top e gonna di crochet!

Peter Hucker wrote:

> So I stand by my argument - always buy bigger first, then raid :)

Buy _faster_ first, not necessairly _bigger_. A 40 gig 7K250 will
outperform a 180 gig 180GXP for example.

--

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:12:20 +0200, Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:

> "Marc de Vries" <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:gp7cf0dd6qjbbr1c0tuem00u21mvjhe7n2@4ax.com
>> > >
> [snip]

>> > Not with PATA.
>> > It is still *your* choice to not use a second drive on same channel.
>>
>> I have never seen a PATA Raid5 controller where each drive didn't have
>> a dedicated ide channel.
>
> Which obviously is entirely firmware limited unless the IDE chip used is
> selfdesigned and doesn't support M/S.

No, I saw one which had 8 sockets for 8 disks (and a smaller model with 4 sockets for 4 disks). This is BETTER than 4 sockets for 8 disks!

>> But you are right in the case of some Raid 0/1/10 controllers where
>> you can have two drives connected on a ide channel, although you then
>> loose the hotplug capability of those cards.
>
> What has that got to do with hotplugging?

Something to do with the drives themselves expecting the slave to still be there? I dunno.

>> > So that's not really seek time. Just another way of how transfer rate increases.
>>
>> No. It has nothing at all to do with transfer rate. I can retrieve
>> multiple small files simultaneously, but since the files are small it
>> is not something that is determined by transfer rate, so not something
>> for which I need the bigger transfersrates of Raid arrays. I won't
>> even exceed the transferrate of a single disk with those files.
>
>> But the perceived
>
> Right, "perceived".
>
>> seek time of the array will be smaller than the minimum seek time of
>> a single disk. So it is exactly as I said:
>
>> the average seektime of the entire array decrease with more spindles.
>
> Which obviously is false when it is "perceived" like that.
> Perceived, as the word means, is a false assumption.
>
> If transfer rate exists of STR divided by (seektime and actual
> transfer time) per time unit and you then increase the STR you could
> also say that that is perceived as if the seektime was decreased com-
> pared to the old STR just because the total transfer time decreased.
> It's not so.

If it's perceived, it's achieved. What else do you want to do?

--
*****TWO BABY CONURES***** 15 parrots and increasing http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
Served from a pentawatercooled dual silent Athlon 2.8 with terrabyte raid

"I was walking down fifth avenue today and I found a wallet, and I was gonna keep it, rather than return it, but I thought: well, if I lost a hundred and fifty dollars, how would I feel? And I realized I would want to be taught a lesson."
-- Emo Philips

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 03:18:08 -0400, J. Clarke <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Peter Hucker wrote:
>
>> So I stand by my argument - always buy bigger first, then raid :)
>
> Buy _faster_ first, not necessairly _bigger_. A 40 gig 7K250 will
> outperform a 180 gig 180GXP for example.

I never touch 5400s!

--
*****TWO BABY CONURES***** 15 parrots and increasing http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
Served from a pentawatercooled dual silent Athlon 2.8 with terrabyte raid

Chaos will reign over order - it's easier to implement!

<see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:

>"Marc de Vries" <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:gp7cf0dd6qjbbr1c0tuem00u21mvjhe7n2@4ax.com
>> > >
>[snip]

>> > Not with PATA.
>> > It is still *your* choice to not use a second drive on same channel.
>>
>> I have never seen a PATA Raid5 controller where each drive didn't have
>> a dedicated ide channel.
>
>Which obviously is entirely firmware limited unless the IDE chip used is
>selfdesigned and doesn't support M/S.

Sure, but that doesn't matter. When the firmware in the Raid5 cards
don't give you that option, you have little choice but to accept that.

Adding a second drive will simple not work. So it's NOT your choice to
use a second drive on the same channel with Raid5 cards.

>> But you are right in the case of some Raid 0/1/10 controllers where
>> you can have two drives connected on a ide channel, although you then
>> loose the hotplug capability of those cards.
>
>What has that got to do with hotplugging?

Because You can't hotplug with two devices connected on IDE.

Actually hotplugging is not supported at all on IDE, but as long as
there is only one device present some companies can work around that
limitation.

>> > That is for striped arrays.
>>
>> Raid5 is also a form of stiping, so it also applies here.
>
>Yes, and where did I say different?

You are responding to my statement. Now I have to assume that you
wanted to make a point with that reply. Aparantly I was wrong in
assuming that.

Your remark suggests that there was something wrong to what I said.
(especially when someone who doesn't know how raid works reads it). So
I had to make it clear for everyone that it does apply to Raid5.

>That is why I said "That is for striped arrays" and not "Raid0".
>Get it now?

I get it that you are making pointless remarks that have absolutely
nothing to do with the thread.

If you had said that the transfer rate increase doesn't apply to Raid1
you would have added something sensible. Although it still doesn't
apply to what we are talking about here: Raid5.

>> > That is for mirrored arrays.
>>
>> Wrong. It applies to all forms of Raid. Although it also depends on
>> the implementation. Very old and/or cheap arrays didn't support this
>> in the past, not even in mirrors. But nowadays almost any controller
>> supports it.
>
>Supports what? What is "it"?

Support the necessary functions to make this work. For instance in a
Raid1 array the function that makes it possible to read a file from
disk2 while another file is being read from disk1. But there is no
need to dive into details here.
I've explained it to you in the past, but you didn't listen then, so I
will not explain it to you again.

A more detailed explanation than I have already given in the thread
here isn't interesting for the discussion. Although I might give it if
the op asks for it.

>> > So that's not really seek time. Just another way of how transfer rate increases.
>>
>> No. It has nothing at all to do with transfer rate. I can retrieve
>> multiple small files simultaneously, but since the files are small it
>> is not something that is determined by transfer rate, so not something
>> for which I need the bigger transfersrates of Raid arrays. I won't
>> even exceed the transferrate of a single disk with those files.
>
>> But the perceived
>
>Right, "perceived".
>
>> seek time of the array will be smaller than the minimum seek time of
>> a single disk. So it is exactly as I said:
>
>> the average seektime of the entire array decrease with more spindles.
>
>Which obviously is false when it is "perceived" like that.
>Perceived, as the word means, is a false assumption.

Pffff. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

The seektime for reading a single file from the array stays the same
as on a single disk. But total time spend on seeks when you read many
files on the array is must lower then when you read many files on a
single disk.

I've explained in simple terms how that works. In my opinion perceived
seektime is a good way to talk about this lower total seektime. But if
you know a better word I welcome you to tell me what word I should
use.

The facts are that the total seektime is reduced so I have a
performance gain. So there are no false assumptions.

>If transfer rate exists of STR divided by (seektime and actual
>transfer time) per time unit and you then increase the STR you could
>also say that that is perceived as if the seektime was decreased com-
>pared to the old STR just because the total transfer time decreased.
>It's not so.

If you don't know how raid arrays work, you could make that
conclusion, but you would be completely wrong and you would be saying
something completely different from what I am saying.

>> Of course this only works if you open more then one file.
>
>Thanks for confirming that this is
>"Just another way of how transfer rate increases".

Wrong again. You just don't get it.

When I open small files the total time to read the file is determined
for 90% by the seektime. Increasing the transferrates can therefore
never give a large performance gain.

But because you can read multiple files at the same time you are
effectively reducing the seektime and are creating a huge performance
gain.

Again a simple example. I can read two small files at once from the
array.
90% of the time T to read that small file is spend on the seektime.
Now I read two of those files from a single disk.
The total time spend is: 2T
2 x (0,9 x T + 0,1 x T)

Now I quadrouble the transferrate of that disk by putting them in a
raid array. Now for 10% of time T I need only a quarter of the time.

Now the total time needed is 2 x (0.9 x T + 0.025 x T) = 1.85 T

So although I made a huge transferrate increase I got only a very
small performance gain.

Now I don't do anything about the transferrate of the disk when I put
it in a raid array. I just read both files at the same time, as I can
do with larger arrays. (or with a raid1 array)

Now the total time to read both files is:
1 x (0,9 x T + 0,1 x T) = 1T

Now I have made a 100% performance gain and it is not because of the
transferrate. We all know (or should know) that seektime is the
limiting factor when you are reading small files.

So we have a huge performance gain. It is the sort of performance gain
we would get when we halve the seektime.

It's not an actual seektime decrease, but real-life performance
figures of the array make it look like the seektime has been halved.
So the array behaves as if the seektime has halved, and thus I state
that the "perceived" seektime has decreased.

>And btw, just as well you can say that when seektime (total time spent
>in seeks) decreases that that is "perceived" as increased transfer rate.

No you can't.

Simply because a perceived seektime decrease corresponds well with the
actual performance figures and an increased transferrate does not.

Even when I increase the trasnferrate a million times the minimum time
to read those files will still be 1.8T
And for large files we also know that the transferrate isn't that big.

A perceived seektime does work will with the real-life data:
For large files it has little impact and for little files it has a big
impact.
Exactly what we see on our array:
For large files the performance increase is determined by the
transferrate increase and not the perceived seektime And for small
files it's just the other way around.

>> > So no.
>>
>> You will now understand
>
>You have no say in that whatsoever.

Yeah, I forgot that I was talking to someone who doesn't WANT to
understand.

>> that the correct answer is: So yes.
>
>So no (hint: stripesize on mirrors?).

So yes.
Hint: We are talking about Raid5 arrays and not mirrors.

My statement was about Raid5 arrays. Of course such a statement cannot
automatically be applied to all other type of arrays. I've never
stated that it could be applied to a two disk mirrorer array.

Marc

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:07:17 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra"
<see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:

>"Marc de Vries" <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:h8qcf01q0c1kjveid3ik3iq7rncest7lj7@4ax.com

>> > What have you found speedwise? I seem to get about the same transfer
>> > rate off a 160GB disk than off a striped pair of 80s, as the 160 is
>> > inherently faster. Hence I only stripe if it's cheaper to do so (or
>> > impossible not to - like you canot get a 500GB IDE)
>>
>> Why would the 160 be inherently faster? Or are the 80s older drives?
>>
>> Drives of the same series should have the same transferrate no matter
>> the size.
>>
>> I use multiple spindles to get higher IO/s, not to get higher transfer
>> rates. So I have never checked the performance gain on transferrates
>> on my servers.
>>
>> But I have a promise Sata Raid5 card in my desktop at home, and I
>> definitely get a much higher transferrate from that array of 4 disks
>> then from a single drive.
>>
>> There are also lots of reviews and people on ng where two disks are
>> striped with onboard el-cheapo raid cards where the transferrate is
>> much higher than with a single disk.
>>
>> So I'm suprised that you see about the same transfer rate. with two
>> striped disks.
>>
>> But very little applications benefit from higher transferrates.
>> When applications benefit from raid arrays it is usually because of
>> higher IO/s.
>
>Which of course is one and the same if you look at speed only

Absolutely not!!

Just look at the difference between SCSI disks and IDE disks.

Modern 7200 rpm IDE disks have nearly the same transferrates as 10.000
and 15.000 SCSI disks. But SCSI disks reach much higher IO/s. For this
reason SCSI is preferred for busy servers and desktops.

The reason for this is very simple. SCSI disks have lower seektimes
because of the higher rpm. The lower seektimes give higher IO/s which
most applications benefit from.

>(IO/s is MB/s, more IO/s is more MB/s).

This is nonsense!

>What IO/s doesn't say is how big the IOs are and how much time is
>spent in seeks relative to larger IO and how that affects transfer
>rate. So more IO isn't necessarily faster IO when the same amount
>of IO is broken into more and thus smaller pieces.

I have the impression that your are trying to confuse the discussion
on purpose.

When you only have very larges files, you can have low IO/s and high
MB/s. You can even saturate the bus with high MB/s and still have very
low IO/s. And in that situation transferrate is important.

But in REAL LIFE that is almost never the case.

Just what I already said before. None of my applications needs high
transferrate. Most benefit from high IO/s (thus low seektimes)

>IOs, not IO/s, is important to servers to get the most out of the

Wrong again. IO/s is what is important. That is why IO/s is always
measured when people benchmark a disk or array controller for server
usage.

Hint: IBM, Compaq/HP, Dell etc all look at IO/s for their servers and
treat MB/s seperately for applications.

Now why would they do that if MB/s and IO/s is the same, and why would
they measure IO/s when you think that IOs is more important?

Hint: They are not wrong. What does that tell you about your opinion?

Marc

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:53:49 +0200, Marc de Vries <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:07:17 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra"
> <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:

>>> Why would the 160 be inherently faster? Or are the 80s older drives?
>>>
>>> Drives of the same series should have the same transferrate no matter
>>> the size.
>>>
>>> I use multiple spindles to get higher IO/s, not to get higher transfer
>>> rates. So I have never checked the performance gain on transferrates
>>> on my servers.
>>>
>>> But I have a promise Sata Raid5 card in my desktop at home, and I
>>> definitely get a much higher transferrate from that array of 4 disks
>>> then from a single drive.
>>>
>>> There are also lots of reviews and people on ng where two disks are
>>> striped with onboard el-cheapo raid cards where the transferrate is
>>> much higher than with a single disk.
>>>
>>> So I'm suprised that you see about the same transfer rate. with two
>>> striped disks.
>>>
>>> But very little applications benefit from higher transferrates.
>>> When applications benefit from raid arrays it is usually because of
>>> higher IO/s.
>>
>> Which of course is one and the same if you look at speed only
>
> Absolutely not!!
>
> Just look at the difference between SCSI disks and IDE disks.
>
> Modern 7200 rpm IDE disks have nearly the same transferrates as 10.000
> and 15.000 SCSI disks. But SCSI disks reach much higher IO/s. For this
> reason SCSI is preferred for busy servers and desktops.
>
> The reason for this is very simple. SCSI disks have lower seektimes
> because of the higher rpm. The lower seektimes give higher IO/s which
> most applications benefit from.

Isn't there more intelligence in SCSI? Command queueing or something?

--
*****TWO BABY CONURES***** 15 parrots and increasing http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
Served from a pentawatercooled dual silent Athlon 2.8 with terrabyte raid

Do you Realise that Bill Gates is an anagram of "Last Bilge"?

Marc de Vries wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:07:17 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra"
> <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:
>
>>"Marc de Vries" <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote in message
<snippage>
>>> Why would the 160 be inherently faster? Or are the 80s older drives?
>>>
>>> Drives of the same series should have the same transferrate no matter
>>> the size.
>>>
>>> I use multiple spindles to get higher IO/s, not to get higher transfer
>>> rates. So I have never checked the performance gain on transferrates
>>> on my servers.
>>>
>>> But I have a promise Sata Raid5 card in my desktop at home, and I
>>> definitely get a much higher transferrate from that array of 4 disks
>>> then from a single drive.
>>>
>>> There are also lots of reviews and people on ng where two disks are
>>> striped with onboard el-cheapo raid cards where the transferrate is
>>> much higher than with a single disk.
>>>
>>> So I'm suprised that you see about the same transfer rate. with two
>>> striped disks.
>>>
>>> But very little applications benefit from higher transferrates.
>>> When applications benefit from raid arrays it is usually because of
>>> higher IO/s.
>>
>>Which of course is one and the same if you look at speed only
>
> Absolutely not!!
>
> Just look at the difference between SCSI disks and IDE disks.
>
> Modern 7200 rpm IDE disks have nearly the same transferrates as 10.000
> and 15.000 SCSI disks. But SCSI disks reach much higher IO/s. For this
> reason SCSI is preferred for busy servers and desktops.
>
> The reason for this is very simple. SCSI disks have lower seektimes
> because of the higher rpm. The lower seektimes give higher IO/s which
> most applications benefit from.

I have a minor nit with this statement--what's shorter on the high-RPM
drives is the _access_ time. Seek time is only a part of that and what the
high RPM decreases directly is "latency", which is the time required for
the location on which the data you are attempting to access to rotate from
wherever it is when the head has stabilized to the position of the head.

High-RPM drives also often have slightly reduced seek times, but this is not
directly due to the high RPM and is instead a secondary effect--many 10,000
and 15,000 RPM drives have reduced-diameter platters so the seek distance
from innermost to outermost track is shorter than for a 7200 RPM drive,
which results in a slightly faster seek time.

<snip>

--

"Peter Hucker" <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote in message news:eek:psa69qmwbaiowgp@blue
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:47:09 -0400, J. Clarke <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> > Peter Hucker wrote:
> <snip>

> > > Because bigger drives are newer technology, or if they are the same
> > > technology, they have more platters - hence it's almost a raid in itself.
> >
> > That's a common misconception. Drives with multiple platters do not in
> > general perform parallel reads on those platters--while there might on some
> > occasions be a slight performance gain if the data pattern is such that
> > access can be by a head-switch and short seek rather than a long seek, the
> > gain is going to be very, very minor unless the data is carefully
> > structured to match the drive.
>
> Well I've generally found the bigger the faster.

> Probably because when you get a bigger drive it's usually newer technology.

Even in the same model range a bigger drive (x2) is faster in roughly the middle
half of its capacity when it nears the end of the smaller drives capacity as the
smaller drive will be at the slowest zone but the bigger drive is only halfway
at faster zones. The difference maybe as much as 50%.

E.G., on a 80GB and a 160GB drive of same model range that both can do ~60MB/s
at start and 30MB/s at end, a file that is at around the 80GB mark on both drives
transfers at 30MB/s on the smaller drive but transfers at 45MB/s on the bigger one.