advice to upgrade a P2 400 hard disk.

Hello.
I have a P2 400 HP pc.
It currently has only a 10 Gb hard disk. I want to install a ATA 100 0r 133
PCI harddisk controller and upgrade the drive to an additional 80 GB.
Is it possible to do this? Will my the bios detect all 80 GB?
I heard I will face problems. Could someone help as buying a 30 GB hard disk
is not cost effective.

Thanks for your help in advance.

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:24:14 +0800, "ojatt" <zadidah@singnet.com.sg>:

>I have a P2 400 HP pc.
>It currently has only a 10 Gb hard disk. I want to install a ATA 100 0r 133
>PCI harddisk controller and upgrade the drive to an additional 80 GB.
>Is it possible to do this? Will my the bios detect all 80 GB?

If you install a PCI controller, the motherboard's BIOS won't detect
the hard disk, since it's not its role anymore.
But normally, the PIC controller will detect the hard disk (a Promise
Ultra133 TX2 will have no problem detecting a 250 GB hard disk), and
will make it available to the OS.

TRENDING THREADS