Ghost 2003 - exclude folders from backup?

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Used to use skipfile, but in the 2003 version I don't see any obvious
way to exclude folders from the backup. Am I missing something?
Thanks!

peter

It is not clear what do you mean by "exclude folders from the backup".
Do you mean image creation or restore?
For image creation you can still use
-SKIP=filename [Skip this filename during image creation]
But preserving files/directories, during image restore, works only in Ghost
8.0

"Steve" <htr@wfc.inv> wrote in message
> Used to use skipfile, but in the 2003 version I don't see any obvious
> way to exclude folders from the backup. Am I missing something?
> Thanks!

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>> Used to use skipfile, but in the 2003 version I don't see any obvious
>> way to exclude folders from the backup. Am I missing something?
>> Thanks!

>It is not clear what do you mean by "exclude folders from the backup".
>Do you mean image creation or restore?
>For image creation you can still use
>-SKIP=filename [Skip this filename during image creation]

Thanks Peter, that's what I meant. Is this available with NTFS, or
does it require FAT?

If so, just want to make sure I understand - under Advanced Options >
Ghost Command Line, can I add:

-SKIP=Skipfile.txt

and list the folders I want to exclude in the Skipfile.txt file?

peter

Go to:
http://www.symantec.com/search/
and type in search window:
+ghost +skip
I'm sure you will find those articles sufficient to address your questions.
Here is an excerpt:
"How to specify multiple files
To tell Ghost to exclude many files, such as .TMT files and .EXE files,
create a text file named skipfile.txt that lists the files you want to
exclude, and then use the -skip=@skipfile switch to call that file. Save the
file on the same partition or floppy disk that you run Ghost.exe from. The
format of the text file is the same as the format used with the VEXCEPT
option on the -CRC32 switch.

Here is an example of a correctly formatted file Skipfile.txt:

*\*.tmt
[partition:1]
\windows\
*\*.exe
[partition:2]
*\*me.txt

This instructs Ghost to skip all .TMT files on all partitions, the Windows
directory and any .EXE files on the first partition, and any file that ends
with ME.TXT on the second partition. Note that within the skip file, the
wildcard character can be used in the path."

> "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> >> Used to use skipfile, but in the 2003 version I don't see any obvious
> >> way to exclude folders from the backup. Am I missing something?
> >> Thanks!
>
> >It is not clear what do you mean by "exclude folders from the backup".
> >Do you mean image creation or restore?
> >For image creation you can still use
> >-SKIP=filename [Skip this filename during image creation]
>
> Thanks Peter, that's what I meant. Is this available with NTFS, or
> does it require FAT?
>
> If so, just want to make sure I understand - under Advanced Options >
> Ghost Command Line, can I add:
>
> -SKIP=Skipfile.txt
>
> and list the folders I want to exclude in the Skipfile.txt file?

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Thanks Peter! Unfortunately, it also says "This switch works with FAT
file systems but not with non-FAT files systems such as NTFS." Looks
like I'm outta luck. :(