Disk Smart Status

I have Norton System Doctor setup on my computer and it has been doing a
stellar job for almost 2 years...I have Disk Smart Status monitor set up in
Norton and it shows all is well with the hard disk....I checked Smart in my
computer bios and it is disabled yet Norton shows all is well...Is Norton
monitoring my hard disk in a different manner?

XP Home Sp1
P4
Seagate 120 Gig with Smart capabilities

Any input Appreciated
8 answers Last reply
More about disk smart status

    Previously Philip Galper <psg1nospam@attbi.com> wrote:
    > I have Norton System Doctor setup on my computer and it has been doing a
    > stellar job for almost 2 years...I have Disk Smart Status monitor set up in
    > Norton and it shows all is well with the hard disk....I checked Smart in my
    > computer bios and it is disabled yet Norton shows all is well...Is Norton
    > monitoring my hard disk in a different manner?

    The SMART status is read from the disk. Likely the smart monitoring
    is disabled for the BIOS (i.e. the bios will noyt look), and not
    the disk. Another possibility is that in your set-up SMART is only
    turned of during the boot-pprocess and the bios sees it still as
    disabled.

    I think you can trust the Norton tool.

    Arno

    On 15 Jul 2004 09:54:19 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    > Previously Philip Galper <psg1nospam@attbi.com> wrote:
    >> I have Norton System Doctor setup on my computer and it has been doing a
    >> stellar job for almost 2 years...I have Disk Smart Status monitor set up in
    >> Norton and it shows all is well with the hard disk....I checked Smart in my
    >> computer bios and it is disabled yet Norton shows all is well...Is Norton
    >> monitoring my hard disk in a different manner?
    >
    > The SMART status is read from the disk. Likely the smart monitoring
    > is disabled for the BIOS (i.e. the bios will noyt look), and not
    > the disk. Another possibility is that in your set-up SMART is only
    > turned of during the boot-pprocess and the bios sees it still as
    > disabled.
    >
    > I think you can trust the Norton tool.

    Is there a freeware utility that will monitor smart for me in windows? I hardly ever reboot, so if there is a problem, I may not know about it for a while.

    --
    *****TWO BABY CONURES***** 15 parrots and increasing http://www.petersparrots.com
    93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com

    Eighty percent of married men cheat in America. The rest cheat in Europe.

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:38:30 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
    <hucker@clara.co.uk>:

    >Is there a freeware utility that will monitor smart for me in windows?

    Speedfan monitors both SMART and temperature.
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:20:19 +0200, Fabien LE LEZ <gramster@gramster.com> wrote:

    > On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:38:30 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
    > <hucker@clara.co.uk>:
    >
    >> Is there a freeware utility that will monitor smart for me in windows?
    >
    > Speedfan monitors both SMART and temperature.
    > http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

    Sound good, but:

    My Gigabyte board does not allow software controlled fan speed settings.

    It won't see my hard disk on the promise raid controller.

    --
    *****TWO BABY CONURES***** 15 parrots and increasing http://www.petersparrots.com
    93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
    1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
    Served from a pentawatercooled dual silent Athlon 2.8 with terrabyte raid

    Why do you need a driver's license to buy liquor when you can't drink and drive?

    <hucker@clara.co.uk>:

    >Is there a freeware utility that will monitor smart for me in windows?

    DiskCheckup
    http://www.passmark.com/download/index.htm

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:15:49 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
    <hucker@clara.co.uk>:

    >My Gigabyte board does not allow software controlled fan speed settings.

    Mine either. The fan speed settings don't work, but SMART and
    temperature reports work.

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 23:25:12 +0200, Fabien LE LEZ <gramster@gramster.com> wrote:

    > On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:15:49 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
    > <hucker@clara.co.uk>:
    >
    >> My Gigabyte board does not allow software controlled fan speed settings.
    >
    > Mine either. The fan speed settings don't work, but SMART and
    > temperature reports work.

    Not here. Are you using RAID? I am (sort of) - the RAID disks are back under warranty, but I have a single disk plugged into the promise onboard raid. I wonder hwy this should be a problem? I'm not actually sure the promise even DOES smart - never seen it say anything on startup.

    --
    *****TWO BABY CONURES***** 15 parrots and increasing http://www.petersparrots.com
    93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
    1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
    Served from a pentawatercooled dual silent Athlon 2.8 with terrabyte raid

    "Oh, Jason, take me!" she panted, her breasts heaving like a student on 31p-a-pint night.

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 23:20:43 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
    <hucker@clara.co.uk>:

    >Not here. Are you using RAID?

    Nope -- plain IDE disks, one on my MSI mainboard, the other on a
    Promise Ultra133 TX2 IDE controller.

Norton Computer Hard Drives Storage