Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Maxtor 6Y080L0 terible noise

Last response: in Storage
Share
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 16, 2004 9:48:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

hey i have Maxtor 6Y080L0 as my hard drive
it maked terrible noises ever since i got it...
its like grrr but its really anoying, its only happend when that red
led in my case which like the computer is "thinking" is on, plz help
me
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 17, 2004 5:52:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On 16 Jul 2004 17:48:01 -0700, Dutchy <dutchy@coolmail.co.il> wrote:

> hey i have Maxtor 6Y080L0 as my hard drive
> it maked terrible noises ever since i got it...
> its like grrr but its really anoying, its only happend when that red
> led in my case which like the computer is "thinking" is on, plz help
> me

You'll need to describe the noise further. Rattle/squeak/click/groan/etc.

--
*****TWO BABY CONURES***** 15 parrots and increasing http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
Served from a pentawatercooled dual silent Athlon 2.8 with terrabyte raid

CONGRESS.SYS corrupted... Re-boot Washington D.C. (Y/N)?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 19, 2004 6:03:57 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Peter Hucker" <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote in message news:<opsa9bdvlkaiowgp@blue>...
> On 16 Jul 2004 17:48:01 -0700, Dutchy <dutchy@coolmail.co.il> wrote:
>
> > hey i have Maxtor 6Y080L0 as my hard drive
> > it maked terrible noises ever since i got it...
> > its like grrr but its really anoying, its only happend when that red
> > led in my case which like the computer is "thinking" is on, plz help
> > me
>
> You'll need to describe the noise further. Rattle/squeak/click/groan/etc.

well i could describe it as a click, but like a few clicks in a time
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 19, 2004 3:56:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

It's probably just normal seek noise. You can download the AMSET utility
from Maxtor's web site and use it to activate quiet mode. It will slow down
seeks a bit, but I doubt you'll notice any performance loss.

"Dutchy" <dutchy@coolmail.co.il> wrote in message
news:340ff746.0407161648.3b6dc7d5@posting.google.com...
> hey i have Maxtor 6Y080L0 as my hard drive
> it maked terrible noises ever since i got it...
> its like grrr but its really anoying, its only happend when that red
> led in my case which like the computer is "thinking" is on, plz help
> me
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 21, 2004 7:56:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Susan D." <sdoucette@navisite.com> wrote in message news:<TaSKc.11294$Wv4.7055@okepread03>...
> It's probably just normal seek noise. You can download the AMSET utility
> from Maxtor's web site and use it to activate quiet mode. It will slow down
> seeks a bit, but I doubt you'll notice any performance loss.
>
> "Dutchy" <dutchy@coolmail.co.il> wrote in message
> news:340ff746.0407161648.3b6dc7d5@posting.google.com...
> > hey i have Maxtor 6Y080L0 as my hard drive
> > it maked terrible noises ever since i got it...
> > its like grrr but its really anoying, its only happend when that red
> > led in my case which like the computer is "thinking" is on, plz help
> > me

okay i did it
it didnt detect any maxtor drives in my system but the drive IS in my device manager
D:\amset>amset /quiet

AmSet v4.00

Searching for Maxtor Drives on Primary port.....
Searching for Drive 0 ..... No drive found.
Searching for Drive 1 ..... No drive found.
Searching for Maxtor Drives on Secondary port.....
Searching for Drive 0 ..... No drive found.
Searching for Drive 1 ..... No drive found.
this is what he sayed
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 21, 2004 6:04:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

I have the same model drive, but the control board burned out on it.
If anyone has this model drive with a mechanical failure and would
like to let me tinker with the control board from it, please contact
me at avarice@bellsouth.net

==============
Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 23, 2004 3:22:59 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

avarice@bellsouth-dot-net.no-spam.invalid (neuronmage) wrote in message news:<40feb03e$1_3@news.athenanews.com>...
> I have the same model drive, but the control board burned out on it.
> If anyone has this model drive with a mechanical failure and would
> like to let me tinker with the control board from it, please contact
> me at avarice@bellsouth.net
>
> ==============
> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.

any ideas?
!