Maxtor 6Y080L0 terible noise

hey i have Maxtor 6Y080L0 as my hard drive
it maked terrible noises ever since i got it...
its like grrr but its really anoying, its only happend when that red
led in my case which like the computer is "thinking" is on, plz help
me

On 16 Jul 2004 17:48:01 -0700, Dutchy <dutchy@coolmail.co.il> wrote:

> hey i have Maxtor 6Y080L0 as my hard drive
> it maked terrible noises ever since i got it...
> its like grrr but its really anoying, its only happend when that red
> led in my case which like the computer is "thinking" is on, plz help
> me

You'll need to describe the noise further. Rattle/squeak/click/groan/etc.

--
*****TWO BABY CONURES***** 15 parrots and increasing http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com

CONGRESS.SYS corrupted... Re-boot Washington D.C. (Y/N)?

"Peter Hucker" <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote in message news:<opsa9bdvlkaiowgp@blue>...
> On 16 Jul 2004 17:48:01 -0700, Dutchy <dutchy@coolmail.co.il> wrote:
>
> > hey i have Maxtor 6Y080L0 as my hard drive
> > it maked terrible noises ever since i got it...
> > its like grrr but its really anoying, its only happend when that red
> > led in my case which like the computer is "thinking" is on, plz help
> > me
>
> You'll need to describe the noise further. Rattle/squeak/click/groan/etc.

well i could describe it as a click, but like a few clicks in a time

It's probably just normal seek noise. You can download the AMSET utility
from Maxtor's web site and use it to activate quiet mode. It will slow down
seeks a bit, but I doubt you'll notice any performance loss.

"Susan D." <sdoucette@navisite.com> wrote in message news:<TaSKc.11294$Wv4.7055@okepread03>...
> It's probably just normal seek noise. You can download the AMSET utility
> from Maxtor's web site and use it to activate quiet mode. It will slow down
> seeks a bit, but I doubt you'll notice any performance loss.
>
> "Dutchy" <dutchy@coolmail.co.il> wrote in message
> > hey i have Maxtor 6Y080L0 as my hard drive
> > it maked terrible noises ever since i got it...
> > its like grrr but its really anoying, its only happend when that red
> > led in my case which like the computer is "thinking" is on, plz help
> > me

okay i did it
it didnt detect any maxtor drives in my system but the drive IS in my device manager
D:\amset>amset /quiet

AmSet v4.00

Searching for Maxtor Drives on Primary port.....
Searching for Drive 0 ..... No drive found.
Searching for Drive 1 ..... No drive found.
Searching for Maxtor Drives on Secondary port.....
Searching for Drive 0 ..... No drive found.
Searching for Drive 1 ..... No drive found.
this is what he sayed

I have the same model drive, but the control board burned out on it.
If anyone has this model drive with a mechanical failure and would
like to let me tinker with the control board from it, please contact
me at avarice@bellsouth.net

avarice@bellsouth-dot-net.no-spam.invalid (neuronmage) wrote in message news:<40feb03e$1_3@news.athenanews.com>...
> I have the same model drive, but the control board burned out on it.
> If anyone has this model drive with a mechanical failure and would
> like to let me tinker with the control board from it, please contact
> me at avarice@bellsouth.net

> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.

any ideas?