Maxtor 6Y080L0 terible noise

hey i have Maxtor 6Y080L0 as my hard drive
it maked terrible noises ever since i got it...
its like grrr but its really anoying, its only happend when that red
led in my case which like the computer is "thinking" is on, plz help
me
6 answers Last reply
More about maxtor 6y080l0 terible noise

    On 16 Jul 2004 17:48:01 -0700, Dutchy <dutchy@coolmail.co.il> wrote:

    > hey i have Maxtor 6Y080L0 as my hard drive
    > it maked terrible noises ever since i got it...
    > its like grrr but its really anoying, its only happend when that red
    > led in my case which like the computer is "thinking" is on, plz help
    > me

    You'll need to describe the noise further. Rattle/squeak/click/groan/etc.

    --
    *****TWO BABY CONURES***** 15 parrots and increasing http://www.petersparrots.com
    93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com

    CONGRESS.SYS corrupted... Re-boot Washington D.C. (Y/N)?

    "Peter Hucker" <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote in message news:<opsa9bdvlkaiowgp@blue>...
    > On 16 Jul 2004 17:48:01 -0700, Dutchy <dutchy@coolmail.co.il> wrote:
    >
    > > hey i have Maxtor 6Y080L0 as my hard drive
    > > it maked terrible noises ever since i got it...
    > > its like grrr but its really anoying, its only happend when that red
    > > led in my case which like the computer is "thinking" is on, plz help
    > > me
    >
    > You'll need to describe the noise further. Rattle/squeak/click/groan/etc.

    well i could describe it as a click, but like a few clicks in a time

    It's probably just normal seek noise. You can download the AMSET utility
    from Maxtor's web site and use it to activate quiet mode. It will slow down
    seeks a bit, but I doubt you'll notice any performance loss.

    "Susan D." <sdoucette@navisite.com> wrote in message news:<TaSKc.11294$Wv4.7055@okepread03>...
    > It's probably just normal seek noise. You can download the AMSET utility
    > from Maxtor's web site and use it to activate quiet mode. It will slow down
    > seeks a bit, but I doubt you'll notice any performance loss.
    >
    > "Dutchy" <dutchy@coolmail.co.il> wrote in message
    > > hey i have Maxtor 6Y080L0 as my hard drive
    > > it maked terrible noises ever since i got it...
    > > its like grrr but its really anoying, its only happend when that red
    > > led in my case which like the computer is "thinking" is on, plz help
    > > me

    okay i did it
    it didnt detect any maxtor drives in my system but the drive IS in my device manager
    D:\amset>amset /quiet

    AmSet v4.00

    Searching for Maxtor Drives on Primary port.....
    Searching for Drive 0 ..... No drive found.
    Searching for Drive 1 ..... No drive found.
    Searching for Maxtor Drives on Secondary port.....
    Searching for Drive 0 ..... No drive found.
    Searching for Drive 1 ..... No drive found.
    this is what he sayed

    I have the same model drive, but the control board burned out on it.
    If anyone has this model drive with a mechanical failure and would
    like to let me tinker with the control board from it, please contact
    me at avarice@bellsouth.net

    avarice@bellsouth-dot-net.no-spam.invalid (neuronmage) wrote in message news:<40feb03e$1_3@news.athenanews.com>...
    > I have the same model drive, but the control board burned out on it.
    > If anyone has this model drive with a mechanical failure and would
    > like to let me tinker with the control board from it, please contact
    > me at avarice@bellsouth.net

    > Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.

    any ideas?

Hardware Storage Maxtor