resizing partition with Partition Magic, I got Error 1532 ..

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
July 17, 2004 5:44:21 PM

Ive just tried to re-size an NTFS (Win XP Home) partition (Drive C) using
Drive Image 8 and got Error 1532 "too many clusters".

I did this right after restoring an image created with Drive Image 2002.

The restore went fine and the PC booted up and ran fine. But when I tried to
resize the partition I got this error.

So far, from what Ive read there is no repair possible - the only option is
to delete the partition and restore the OS and software from scratch! Oh No!
This is exactly what I was hoping to avoid by buying this drive image
software in the first place!

My question is, is this error held within the actual image file I restored
from or is it just related to the partition I'm restoring to? I hope its
just the latter!

Is there a way to correct this cluster error without wiping and starting all
over again?

Thanks for any info.

Ian
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 17, 2004 9:33:14 PM

Ian Roberts wrote:
> Ive just tried to re-size an NTFS (Win XP Home) partition (Drive C)
> using Drive Image 8 and got Error 1532 "too many clusters".
>
> I did this right after restoring an image created with Drive Image
> 2002.
>
> The restore went fine and the PC booted up and ran fine. But when I
> tried to resize the partition I got this error.
>
> So far, from what Ive read there is no repair possible - the only
> option is to delete the partition and restore the OS and software
> from scratch! Oh No! This is exactly what I was hoping to avoid by
> buying this drive image software in the first place!
>
> My question is, is this error held within the actual image file I
> restored from or is it just related to the partition I'm restoring
> to? I hope its just the latter!
>
> Is there a way to correct this cluster error without wiping and
> starting all over again?
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> Ian

Think Drive Image 8.0 needs to be PartitionMagic 8.0.

Take a peek at:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/14b...

Best option is to run a CHKDSK /r from the XP's Recovery Console to see if
this error can be solved.

If you do want to resize the partition without getting this error msg (what
I strongly advise against) follow the following steps:
1.) Start from the rescue disk #1
2.) Press any key when the message appears prompting you to insert disk #2
3.) You will end up at the A:\> prompt. Now insert disk # in your disk
drive.
4.) At the A:\> prompt type the following

pqmagic /IFC /IPE

5.) Make the changes like you did in Windows...

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 19, 2004 3:31:37 PM

"Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> Ian Roberts wrote:
> > Ive just tried to re-size an NTFS (Win XP Home) partition (Drive C)
> > using Drive Image 8 and got Error 1532 "too many clusters".
> >
> > I did this right after restoring an image created with Drive Image
> > 2002.
> >
> > The restore went fine and the PC booted up and ran fine. But when I
> > tried to resize the partition I got this error.
> >
> > So far, from what Ive read there is no repair possible - the only
> > option is to delete the partition and restore the OS and software
> > from scratch! Oh No! This is exactly what I was hoping to avoid by
> > buying this drive image software in the first place!
> >
> > My question is, is this error held within the actual image file I
> > restored from or is it just related to the partition I'm restoring
> > to? I hope its just the latter!
> >
> > Is there a way to correct this cluster error without wiping and
> > starting all over again?
> >
> > Thanks for any info.
> >
> > Ian
>
> Think Drive Image 8.0 needs to be PartitionMagic 8.0.
>
> Take a peek at:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/14b...

> Best option is to run a CHKDSK /r from the XP's Recovery Console to see if
> this error can be solved.
>
> If you do want to resize the partition without getting this error msg
(what
> I strongly advise against) follow the following steps:
> 1.) Start from the rescue disk #1
> 2.) Press any key when the message appears prompting you to insert disk #2
> 3.) You will end up at the A:\> prompt. Now insert disk # in your disk
> drive.
> 4.) At the A:\> prompt type the following
>
> pqmagic /IFC /IPE
>
> 5.) Make the changes like you did in Windows...
>
> --
> M.f.G.
> Michael Kimmer
>
> "Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
> "Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

Hi Micheal

I am very grateful to you for taking the time to give me such a detailed
reply. Its a big help.

< Think Drive Image 8.0 needs to be PartitionMagic 8.0.>
Oops yes you're right I got my DI's and PM's mixed up!

I looked in the PM8 user guide and found that it doesnt list the 1532
error. It jumps from 1529 to 1538!

Also I couldn't find any ref to the /IPE switch. What does that do? Could it
be "Ignore Partition Error"?

If this doesn't work I'll have to bite the bullet and do a full reinstall at
some point when I have the time - at least a days worth of work!

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Ian I^)
!