resizing partition with Partition Magic, I got Error 1532 ..

Ive just tried to re-size an NTFS (Win XP Home) partition (Drive C) using
Drive Image 8 and got Error 1532 "too many clusters".

I did this right after restoring an image created with Drive Image 2002.

The restore went fine and the PC booted up and ran fine. But when I tried to
resize the partition I got this error.

So far, from what Ive read there is no repair possible - the only option is
to delete the partition and restore the OS and software from scratch! Oh No!
This is exactly what I was hoping to avoid by buying this drive image
software in the first place!

My question is, is this error held within the actual image file I restored
from or is it just related to the partition I'm restoring to? I hope its
just the latter!

Is there a way to correct this cluster error without wiping and starting all
over again?

Thanks for any info.

Ian
2 answers Last reply
More about resizing partition partition magic error 1532

    Ian Roberts wrote:
    > Ive just tried to re-size an NTFS (Win XP Home) partition (Drive C)
    > using Drive Image 8 and got Error 1532 "too many clusters".
    >
    > I did this right after restoring an image created with Drive Image
    > 2002.
    >
    > The restore went fine and the PC booted up and ran fine. But when I
    > tried to resize the partition I got this error.
    >
    > So far, from what Ive read there is no repair possible - the only
    > option is to delete the partition and restore the OS and software
    > from scratch! Oh No! This is exactly what I was hoping to avoid by
    > buying this drive image software in the first place!
    >
    > My question is, is this error held within the actual image file I
    > restored from or is it just related to the partition I'm restoring
    > to? I hope its just the latter!
    >
    > Is there a way to correct this cluster error without wiping and
    > starting all over again?
    >
    > Thanks for any info.
    >
    > Ian

    Think Drive Image 8.0 needs to be PartitionMagic 8.0.

    Take a peek at:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/14b83717f88cabd988256e970047ceab/96a0fc2aafba691688256e75007cbc87?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

    Best option is to run a CHKDSK /r from the XP's Recovery Console to see if
    this error can be solved.

    If you do want to resize the partition without getting this error msg (what
    I strongly advise against) follow the following steps:
    1.) Start from the rescue disk #1
    2.) Press any key when the message appears prompting you to insert disk #2
    3.) You will end up at the A:\> prompt. Now insert disk # in your disk
    drive.
    4.) At the A:\> prompt type the following

    pqmagic /IFC /IPE

    5.) Make the changes like you did in Windows...

    --
    M.f.G.
    Michael Kimmer

    "Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
    "Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

    "Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
    > Ian Roberts wrote:
    > > Ive just tried to re-size an NTFS (Win XP Home) partition (Drive C)
    > > using Drive Image 8 and got Error 1532 "too many clusters".
    > >
    > > I did this right after restoring an image created with Drive Image
    > > 2002.
    > >
    > > The restore went fine and the PC booted up and ran fine. But when I
    > > tried to resize the partition I got this error.
    > >
    > > So far, from what Ive read there is no repair possible - the only
    > > option is to delete the partition and restore the OS and software
    > > from scratch! Oh No! This is exactly what I was hoping to avoid by
    > > buying this drive image software in the first place!
    > >
    > > My question is, is this error held within the actual image file I
    > > restored from or is it just related to the partition I'm restoring
    > > to? I hope its just the latter!
    > >
    > > Is there a way to correct this cluster error without wiping and
    > > starting all over again?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any info.
    > >
    > > Ian
    >
    > Think Drive Image 8.0 needs to be PartitionMagic 8.0.
    >
    > Take a peek at:

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/14b83717f88cabd988256e970047ceab/96a0fc2aafba691688256e75007cbc87?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

    > Best option is to run a CHKDSK /r from the XP's Recovery Console to see if
    > this error can be solved.
    >
    > If you do want to resize the partition without getting this error msg
    (what
    > I strongly advise against) follow the following steps:
    > 1.) Start from the rescue disk #1
    > 2.) Press any key when the message appears prompting you to insert disk #2
    > 3.) You will end up at the A:\> prompt. Now insert disk # in your disk
    > drive.
    > 4.) At the A:\> prompt type the following
    >
    > pqmagic /IFC /IPE
    >
    > 5.) Make the changes like you did in Windows...
    >
    > --
    > M.f.G.
    > Michael Kimmer
    >
    > "Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
    > "Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

    Hi Micheal

    I am very grateful to you for taking the time to give me such a detailed
    reply. Its a big help.

    < Think Drive Image 8.0 needs to be PartitionMagic 8.0.>
    Oops yes you're right I got my DI's and PM's mixed up!

    I looked in the PM8 user guide and found that it doesnt list the 1532
    error. It jumps from 1529 to 1538!

    Also I couldn't find any ref to the /IPE switch. What does that do? Could it
    be "Ignore Partition Error"?

    If this doesn't work I'll have to bite the bullet and do a full reinstall at
    some point when I have the time - at least a days worth of work!

    Thanks again for your help.

    Regards

    Ian I^)

Partition Partition Magic Storage