Disk repair

Hello

I have a clean room in school laboratory and i'd like to repair my damaged
disk.. It's clicking.
Do u think i can exchange the heads in the drive from good one to
my ?
Is it possible to make ?

thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about disk repair

    In article <cdga4e$20dh$1@ns.felk.cvut.cz>, ddnet <ddnet@zoznam.sk> wrote:
    >Hello
    >
    >I have a clean room in school laboratory and i'd like to repair my damaged
    >disk.. It's clicking.
    >Do u think i can exchange the heads in the drive from good one to
    >my ?
    >Is it possible to make ?
    >
    >thanks

    Have fun trying, but not even the professionals repair the heads on
    current disks for any reason other than to recover the data, and it's
    expensive. The drive is canned, afterwords. BTW What makes you think
    replacing the heads is the solution ?

    It's fun to open up disks, and poeple have even run them with the lid
    off, for a while. This was when a disk was 20MB. I have a 200MB
    server disk that weights about 30 pounds here as a bookend. The
    magnets in disk drives are as powerful as anything you've ever played
    with, probably.

    Hobbyists have successfuly swaped circuit cards but I've never
    heard of anyone replacing a head.

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------

    You have no idea what is broken, so you are wasting your time.

    A clean room would allow for a visual inspection. Platter damage means junk
    it.

    "ddnet" <ddnet@zoznam.sk> wrote in message

    > I have a clean room in school laboratory and i'd like to repair my damaged
    > disk.. It's clicking.
    > Do u think i can exchange the heads in the drive from good one to
    > my ?
    > Is it possible to make ?

    On 19 Jul 2004 08:54:39 -0400, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

    [snip]
    >server disk that weights about 30 pounds here as a bookend.

    I have an 80 pounds 50MB drive. It's really huge and has a monsterous
    power requirement that would burn down most houses.

    >Hobbyists have successfuly swaped circuit cards but I've never
    >heard of anyone replacing a head.

    With the clicky head, even a board swap may not work. But I'd try
    swapping the board first in case it is the controller chip on board
    that has failed.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

    Previously ddnet <ddnet@zoznam.sk> wrote:
    > Hello

    > I have a clean room in school laboratory and i'd like to repair my damaged
    > disk.. It's clicking.
    > Do u think i can exchange the heads in the drive from good one to
    > my ?
    > Is it possible to make ?

    Don't expect it to work, but it sure sounds like an interesting
    projct.

    Arno

    Maybe it is just electronic board that is defective, and in that case drive
    opening is not necessery. You just need to find electronics of same
    type/model hard drive and change it. I did that few times with diferent
    Maxtror/WD drives that made clicking noise.

    Doggy

    "ddnet" <ddnet@zoznam.sk> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I have a clean room in school laboratory and i'd like to repair my damaged
    > disk.. It's clicking.
    > Do u think i can exchange the heads in the drive from good one to
    > my ?
    > Is it possible to make ?
    >
    > thanks

    Would any recommend trying to replace the circuit on a laptop harddrive? I
    picked up a defective harddrive on eBay for less than a dollar and was
    wondering if changing the board would do it. It is a 30GB travelstar and I
    have a 6GB travelstar installed in my laptop. Are the boards compatible?

    Thanks
    Kevin

    "Doggy" <nemam@sta.cu> wrote in message
    > Maybe it is just electronic board that is defective, and in that case
    drive
    > opening is not necessery. You just need to find electronics of same
    > type/model hard drive and change it. I did that few times with diferent
    > Maxtror/WD drives that made clicking noise.
    >
    > Doggy
    >
    > "ddnet" <ddnet@zoznam.sk> wrote in message
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > I have a clean room in school laboratory and i'd like to repair my
    damaged
    > > disk.. It's clicking.
    > > Do u think i can exchange the heads in the drive from good one to
    > > my ?
    > > Is it possible to make ?
    > >
    > > thanks

    ---

    no...

    u dont have chance

    "Kevin Nelson" <kevin-nelson@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Would any recommend trying to replace the circuit on a laptop harddrive? I
    > picked up a defective harddrive on eBay for less than a dollar and was
    > wondering if changing the board would do it. It is a 30GB travelstar and I
    > have a 6GB travelstar installed in my laptop. Are the boards compatible?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Kevin
    >
    > "Doggy" <nemam@sta.cu> wrote in message
    > > Maybe it is just electronic board that is defective, and in that case
    > drive
    > > opening is not necessery. You just need to find electronics of same
    > > type/model hard drive and change it. I did that few times with diferent
    > > Maxtror/WD drives that made clicking noise.
    > >
    > > Doggy
    > >
    > > "ddnet" <ddnet@zoznam.sk> wrote in message
    > > > Hello
    > > >
    > > > I have a clean room in school laboratory and i'd like to repair my
    > damaged
    > > > disk.. It's clicking.
    > > > Do u think i can exchange the heads in the drive from good one to
    > > > my ?
    > > > Is it possible to make ?
    > > >
    > > > thanks
    > > >

    > ---

    "Kevin Nelson" <kevin-nelson@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Would any recommend trying to replace the circuit on a laptop harddrive? I
    > picked up a defective harddrive on eBay for less than a dollar and was
    > wondering if changing the board would do it. It is a 30GB travelstar and I
    > have a 6GB travelstar installed in my laptop. Are the boards compatible?

    I dont think so. I think only board from same hard drive will work, but i am
    not expert on the subject. I only changed boards from the same type hard
    drives, 6,4 GB Quantum CX series, Maxtor 20 GB Lct and similar.

    Doggy

    > Thanks
    > Kevin
    >
    > "Doggy" <nemam@sta.cu> wrote in message
    > > Maybe it is just electronic board that is defective, and in that case
    > drive
    > > opening is not necessery. You just need to find electronics of same
    > > type/model hard drive and change it. I did that few times with diferent
    > > Maxtror/WD drives that made clicking noise.
    > >
    > > Doggy
    > >
    > > "ddnet" <ddnet@zoznam.sk> wrote in message
    > > > Hello
    > > >
    > > > I have a clean room in school laboratory and i'd like to repair my
    > damaged
    > > > disk.. It's clicking.
    > > > Do u think i can exchange the heads in the drive from good one to
    > > > my ?
    > > > Is it possible to make ?
    > > >
    > > > thanks
    > > >

    > ---