DVD Backup Spanning Multiple Disks

I am looking for a program that can backup large amounts of data to
DVD. The only catch is the program must be able to span multiple
disks (ie. 1 file is 15 gigs).

Any idea which DVD buring program can do this? Perferrably it would
be freeware/shareware. Thanx

Ryan Ritten
3 answers Last reply
More about backup spanning multiple disks

    > I am looking for a program that can backup large amounts of data to
    > DVD. The only catch is the program must be able to span multiple
    > disks (ie. 1 file is 15 gigs).
    >
    > Any idea which DVD buring program can do this? Perferrably it would
    > be freeware/shareware. Thanx

    $70 http://www.stompsoft.com/bump.html

    Lynn

    Since you are referring to "large amounts of data", I assume that you want
    to store files rather than whole disks or disk partitions images.
    I would use Winzip split feature to compress and chunk your data files into
    DVD size segments. Then, I would burn those segments to DVDs.

    "Lynn McGuire" <NOSPAM.winsim@NOSPAM.winsim.com> wrote in message
    > > I am looking for a program that can backup large amounts of data to
    > > DVD. The only catch is the program must be able to span multiple
    > > disks (ie. 1 file is 15 gigs).
    > >
    > > Any idea which DVD buring program can do this? Perferrably it would
    > > be freeware/shareware. Thanx
    >
    > $70 http://www.stompsoft.com/bump.html
    >
    > Lynn

    I use Powerquest Drive Image 7 (its now Symantec Drive Image since they
    bought out PQ) to regularly backup my data. I create the image to a spare
    partition reserved for the purpose. DI compresses the data and splits the
    image into segments to fit onto DVD. I then use Nero to burn each segment to
    Disc. Writing and then verifying each segment to DVD takes approx 30mins.

    It is possible to write the image directly to DVD but I found it painfully
    slow and could be a waste of time if one the discs has CRC or verification
    errors.

    Why would you want/expect freeware?

    HTH

    Ian