Dual Monitors -- Can't Turn Off HELP!!

Alan

Hi,

I have a Dell Lattitude C840 laptop with an Nvidia video card installed by
Dell.

Whenever I plug into a LCD projector and activate my external monitor the
dual monitor feature comes on and I cannot disable it.

Some times I want to run dual monitor with the laptop (such as for
lectures), however, sometimes I want what appears on the laptop screen to be
the same as on the projected image.

I have tried going into the Display Properties and Settings to disable the
second monitor and when I do all that happens is that I go back to only
seeing my laptop's monitor and nothing on the projector. When I activate
the external monitor the dual monitor feature kicks on again.

It never used to do this and I am not sure what changed on my system.

HELP! This is making it very difficult to do my job!

Alan

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You would be better off asking Dell.

"Alan" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell Lattitude C840 laptop with an Nvidia video card installed by
> Dell.
>
> Whenever I plug into a LCD projector and activate my external monitor the
> dual monitor feature comes on and I cannot disable it.
>
> Some times I want to run dual monitor with the laptop (such as for
> lectures), however, sometimes I want what appears on the laptop screen to
be
> the same as on the projected image.
>
> I have tried going into the Display Properties and Settings to disable the
> second monitor and when I do all that happens is that I go back to only
> seeing my laptop's monitor and nothing on the projector. When I activate
> the external monitor the dual monitor feature kicks on again.
>
> It never used to do this and I am not sure what changed on my system.
>
> HELP! This is making it very difficult to do my job!
>
> Alan

Alan

I would like to avoid calling Dell. Running Windows XP Professional and
the problem didn't always happen. Just recently it started. I am hoping
to get some hints as to what might be messed up.

> You would be better off asking Dell.
>
> "Alan" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Dell Lattitude C840 laptop with an Nvidia video card installed
by
> > Dell.
> >
> > Whenever I plug into a LCD projector and activate my external monitor
the
> > dual monitor feature comes on and I cannot disable it.
> >
> > Some times I want to run dual monitor with the laptop (such as for
> > lectures), however, sometimes I want what appears on the laptop screen
> be
> > the same as on the projected image.
> >
> > I have tried going into the Display Properties and Settings to disable
the
> > second monitor and when I do all that happens is that I go back to only
> > seeing my laptop's monitor and nothing on the projector. When I
activate
> > the external monitor the dual monitor feature kicks on again.
> >
> > It never used to do this and I am not sure what changed on my system.
> >
> > HELP! This is making it very difficult to do my job!
> >
> > Alan

Having the same issue w/ HP!!! After an hr online with HP still no help! it must be a vista issue!