is my partition gone??

cris

Distinguished
May 13, 2004

Hello,
Can someone please HELP me!! I have 2 partitions on my computer the C
with 6.35GB and the F with 105.44GB (is where I have everything!! that
is important including Partition magic) I tried to expand the C
partition to 10 GB using Partition Magic 7. After defining the size on
the PM software, it asked me to restart the computer and apparently
was going to start the process, before the process was finished it
froze and I could not do anything but restarting one more time then
when coming up to the same screen where partition magic works making
the partition it marked 100% saying there was an error, so the changes
could not be done I don't remember the number of the error if it was
624,625 or something like that what I do remember is that it said that
it can usually be corrected (the kind of error)After that screen it
just freezes, I can only access the bios mode, I can't even get to the
safe mode menu (I am using windows XP).Then after trying several times
finally the computer went all the way to windows fine, but my F drive
is gone!!!
On the Disk Management on windows xp it does show the partition but it
shows as healthy unknown partition it used to be an NTSF partition now
it does not show anything on the file system type and the partition
has no letter assigned and it also shows as 100% free!!! Does this
mean all my info is lost??

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 07:48:09 UTC, crisalatorre@hotmail.com (Cris)
wrote:

> Can someone please HELP me!! I have 2 partitions on my computer the C
> with 6.35GB and the F with 105.44GB (is where I have everything!! that
> is important including Partition magic) I tried to expand the C
> partition to 10 GB using Partition Magic 7.

I assume you first have to make some room to allow that partition to
become larger, like making the other partition (F:) a bit smaller ?

>After defining the size on
> the PM software, it asked me to restart the computer and apparently
> was going to start the process, before the process was finished it
> froze and I could not do anything but restarting one more time then
> when coming up to the same screen where partition magic works making
> the partition it marked 100% saying there was an error, so the changes
> could not be done I don't remember the number of the error if it was
> 624,625 or something like that what I do remember is that it said that
> it can usually be corrected (the kind of error)After that screen it
> just freezes, I can only access the bios mode, I can't even get to the
> safe mode menu (I am using windows XP).Then after trying several times
> finally the computer went all the way to windows fine, but my F drive
> is gone!!!
> On the Disk Management on windows xp it does show the partition but it
> shows as healthy unknown partition it used to be an NTSF partition now
> it does not show anything on the file system type and the partition
> has no letter assigned and it also shows as 100% free!!! Does this
> mean all my info is lost??

Perhaps, impossible to say without further analysis.

There are several possibilities causing such reporting:

1) The system type in the partition-table is incorrect
It should be 0x07, but when resizing PartitionMagic will temporarily
change it to its own specific type.

2) The bootsector could be changed/damaged.

3) There is more structural damage inside the NTFS partition.

Number (1) and (2) are easy to fix, (3) is more difficult, in some
cases
a CHKDSK ran from the Windows-XP recovery-console might help.
(to be found on the Windows install CD.

But check (and repait) the other 2 points first!

You can make an automatic analysis and perform the recovery
for those using the DFSee program. (with some help probably):

http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee.htm

Download that and run the 'DFSDISK' procedure for a first analysis.

Regards, JvW

--
Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com