Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Just bought new DVD drive for my PC, and am trying to use
Media Player as my DVD player, but there is no audio
output. I downloaded an update as well to get upgraded
top media player 9, but there's still no audio/sound.

any ideas?

cheers,
chris thomas

You need some other dvd playing software installed such as power dvd, media
player does not come with the neccessary decoder.
Graham
"chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just bought new DVD drive for my PC, and am trying to use
> Media Player as my DVD player, but there is no audio
> output. I downloaded an update as well to get upgraded
> top media player 9, but there's still no audio/sound.
>
> any ideas?
>
> cheers,
> chris thomas

any ideas where i can get such software?
can you get any full versions free from the net?

thanks.

I have the same problem as you.Microsoft says Media
player for XP comes complete with decoder and codecs but
I get picture with no sound.I have tried reloading Media
player,downloading codecs and decoder from M/soft but can
still not get sound.The MSI DVD player that came with the
computer works fine.
Sorry I can't help but I do sypathise.

Microsoft says that no where.

Troubleshooting DVD Playback in Windows Media Player for Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q306318

--
Chris Lanier
Microsoft MVP - Digital Media
"oseven" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have the same problem as you.Microsoft says Media
> player for XP comes complete with decoder and codecs but
> I get picture with no sound.I have tried reloading Media
> player,downloading codecs and decoder from M/soft but can
> still not get sound.The MSI DVD player that came with the
> computer works fine.
> Sorry I can't help but I do sypathise.

Ron

OK, so what is the solution to this problem?

----- Chris Lanier [MVP] wrote: -----

Microsoft says that no where.

Troubleshooting DVD Playback in Windows Media Player for Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q306318

--
Chris Lanier
Microsoft MVP - Digital Media
---
"oseven" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have the same problem as you.Microsoft says Media
> player for XP comes complete with decoder and codecs but
> I get picture with no sound.I have tried reloading Media
> player,downloading codecs and decoder from M/soft but can
> still not get sound.The MSI DVD player that came with the
> computer works fine.
> Sorry I can't help but I do sypathise.

You need an app that will play dvd's installed, like powerdvd.
Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media