media player + DVDs

Just bought new DVD drive for my PC, and am trying to use
Media Player as my DVD player, but there is no audio
output. I downloaded an update as well to get upgraded
top media player 9, but there's still no audio/sound.

any ideas?

cheers,
chris thomas
6 answers Last reply
More about media player dvds

    You need some other dvd playing software installed such as power dvd, media
    player does not come with the neccessary decoder.
    Graham
    "chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Just bought new DVD drive for my PC, and am trying to use
    > Media Player as my DVD player, but there is no audio
    > output. I downloaded an update as well to get upgraded
    > top media player 9, but there's still no audio/sound.
    >
    > any ideas?
    >
    > cheers,
    > chris thomas

    any ideas where i can get such software?
    can you get any full versions free from the net?

    thanks.

    I have the same problem as you.Microsoft says Media
    player for XP comes complete with decoder and codecs but
    I get picture with no sound.I have tried reloading Media
    player,downloading codecs and decoder from M/soft but can
    still not get sound.The MSI DVD player that came with the
    computer works fine.
    Sorry I can't help but I do sypathise.

    Microsoft says that no where.

    Troubleshooting DVD Playback in Windows Media Player for Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q306318

    --
    Chris Lanier
    Microsoft MVP - Digital Media
    "oseven" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have the same problem as you.Microsoft says Media
    > player for XP comes complete with decoder and codecs but
    > I get picture with no sound.I have tried reloading Media
    > player,downloading codecs and decoder from M/soft but can
    > still not get sound.The MSI DVD player that came with the
    > computer works fine.
    > Sorry I can't help but I do sypathise.

    OK, so what is the solution to this problem?

    ----- Chris Lanier [MVP] wrote: -----

    Microsoft says that no where.

    Troubleshooting DVD Playback in Windows Media Player for Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q306318

    --
    Chris Lanier
    Microsoft MVP - Digital Media
    ---
    "oseven" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have the same problem as you.Microsoft says Media
    > player for XP comes complete with decoder and codecs but
    > I get picture with no sound.I have tried reloading Media
    > player,downloading codecs and decoder from M/soft but can
    > still not get sound.The MSI DVD player that came with the
    > computer works fine.
    > Sorry I can't help but I do sypathise.

    You need an app that will play dvd's installed, like powerdvd.
    Graham

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media
    "Ron" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > OK, so what is the solution to this problem?
    >
    > ----- Chris Lanier [MVP] wrote: -----
    >
    > Microsoft says that no where.
    >
    > Troubleshooting DVD Playback in Windows Media Player for Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q306318
    >
    > --
    > Chris Lanier
    > Microsoft MVP - Digital Media
    > ---
    > "oseven" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have the same problem as you.Microsoft says Media
    > > player for XP comes complete with decoder and codecs but
    > > I get picture with no sound.I have tried reloading Media
    > > player,downloading codecs and decoder from M/soft but can
    > > still not get sound.The MSI DVD player that came with the
    > > computer works fine.
    > > Sorry I can't help but I do sypathise.

Video Audio Media Player DVD Drives Windows XP