I'm thinking of getting a laptop but I am not sure whether I should go with
one with the Pentium 4 3 ghz or the Pentium M 1.6 as they are the same
price. Which would be better for a graphics intensive game like Hl2?

What is the Pentium 4 equivalent of the Pentium M 1.6 ghz?

Thanks,

Jiyang Chen

Look closely into the options on the graphics side

1.6 GHz Centrino?
It's a bit on the low side
I am running with a 2Ghz Centrino and are running very nice too

The P4 3GHz will eat your battery imho

HTH

It's a close call
But the P4 wil eat your battery
I'ts just a matter of preferences

Take a look here
(MobileMark 2002 Performance and Batterylife)
http://www.intel.com/performance/mobile/index.htm

A P4 3.3GHz has a benchmark of 224 and batterylife of 206 minutes
versus
A PM 2.Ghz which has a benchmark 221 and batterylife of 353 minutes

HTH

http://www.cpuscorecard.com/top_cpus.htm

CPU power ratings from the above link infer that the 1.7 GHz Centrino has
about 2/3rds the computing power of a P4 3GHz.

The Centrino should do fine with the graphics.

I never worry about the battery, so I personally would get the P4. That is
a personal choice you have to make.

Hope you find the info you need.

<peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Look closely into the options on the graphics side
>
> 1.6 GHz Centrino?
> It's a bit on the low side
> I am running with a 2Ghz Centrino and are running very nice too
>
> The P4 3GHz will eat your battery imho
>
> HTH

Would a 2ghz Centrino be equal to a 3ghz P4?

Obviously the P4 is better, but its also going to result in a laptop
that weighs a ton and does a great job of heating your lap...

Civilian_Target