Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows Pocket PC vs. CE vs Mobile

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
May 6, 2004 7:05:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi,

I was wondering what the difference between the MS PDA OS's are. I have
seen "3" out there. Maybe they are the same with different names depending
on vender. But I was wondering what the difference was. I'm looking to get a
new PDA and I want to know my options. Please I'm compareing the difference
between the MS PDA OS's please leave palm out of this discusstion that's one
for another day.

Thanks,

TC

More about : windows pocket mobile

Anonymous
May 6, 2004 7:05:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Confusion acknowledged and agreeed with...

All new pocketpc's currently on the market run Windows Mobile 2003 or
WinCE 4.x There could be some older models still on the shelves that
are running PocketPC 2002, but they should be the exception.

Operationally, there should be almost zero difference between oem's
although the "just released" ME2003 "SE" there are some fixes... let's
hope that all mfg's release it although you should know that the
probability of that varies with oem's

Can you post some specific mfg + model numbers?

Plus post what you want to do as, in most cases, all versions will
probably meet your needs.

Beverly Howard... still running 2002
May 7, 2004 4:40:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I haven't decied on models to compare.
But you still haven't answered what the difference between CE 4.x and ME2003
SE. I mean lets face it
funcently speaking there is no difference with Mac and Windows. You can get
the same type software for each.
But there are differences. No, I'm not opening that can of worms just being
a wise ass.

I'm just wondering the differnces. I know for graphics I'd by a Mac or a
Silicon Graphics machine. Heavy computeing unix base can we say Cray :) 
office work Window's Networking Linux/Unix. But nothing is really keeping
you from playing doom on a linux vs window's it can be done. You can do word
processing the same. You get the idea.

So anyway, what's the difference between CE 4.X and ME2003 SE?

As for use datebook, address book. Short notes, games. who knows. I really
don't care about the wireless or the bluetooth. It might be fun but not a
nessity. a QWERTY Keyboard built in would be really nice.

I want to make sure I can update the OS if need be reinstall or if feeling
adventureis change it (I have heard of people porting other OS to different
PDA's - while untikely it could be fun). But the OS updates are a must.

I might use it with work. I'm an EMT and Tech Support/Network guy (hence a
bios to Linux :)  ).

What else would you like to know.


"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
message news:o 5ZCImxMEHA.2468@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Confusion acknowledged and agreeed with...
>
> All new pocketpc's currently on the market run Windows Mobile 2003 or
> WinCE 4.x There could be some older models still on the shelves that
> are running PocketPC 2002, but they should be the exception.
>
> Operationally, there should be almost zero difference between oem's
> although the "just released" ME2003 "SE" there are some fixes... let's
> hope that all mfg's release it although you should know that the
> probability of that varies with oem's
>
> Can you post some specific mfg + model numbers?
>
> Plus post what you want to do as, in most cases, all versions will
> probably meet your needs.
>
> Beverly Howard... still running 2002
>
Related resources
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 4:40:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

All Windows Mobile 2003 devices are running "WinCE 4.x" as their kernel
and, while there have been several minor revisions released to OEM's
which, in turn, revise the OS to their machines specific hardware, it is
unlikely that you would be able to detect differences, even with the
most recent release.

To try to answer your question, the OS is gonna be essentially the same
on any Windows Mobile device you purchase today. The other issues you
reference are device/hardware differences and not OS.

Win/Mac/Linux type comparisons can be equated to WindowsMobile vs Palm
with some experiments with Linux on the devices but, even there, it's
pretty difficult to compare with Palm since there is not a lot of common
ground and all of PocketPC's exceed any Palm's processing capabilities.

The other issues you reference are device/hardware differences and not OS.

Beverly Howard
May 8, 2004 1:09:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

TC wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering what the difference between the MS PDA OS's are. I have
> seen "3" out there. Maybe they are the same with different names depending
> on vender. But I was wondering what the difference was. I'm looking to get a
> new PDA and I want to know my options. Please I'm compareing the difference
> between the MS PDA OS's please leave palm out of this discusstion that's one
> for another day.

I thought PocketPC was just a rebrand because Windows CE was loosing out
big time to Palm about 3 years ago. I stand corrected if wrong.

Marc
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 9:34:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Windows CE has always been the OS underneath the whole package...

Palm-size PC 4/gray used Windows CE 2.01
Palm-size PC color and 16/gray used Windows CE 2.11
Pocket PC used Windows CE 3.0
Pocket PC 2002 used Windows CE 3.0.1xxxx
Windows Mobile 2003 software for Pocket PC uses Windows CE 4.20.0
Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition software for Pocket PC uses Windows CE
4.21.1xxx

--
Carlo Ma. Guerrero
Microsoft MVP, Mobile Devices
"Marc" <marcus.no-spam@imarc.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1083960590.19915.0@eunomia.uk.clara.net...
> TC wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was wondering what the difference between the MS PDA OS's are. I
have
> > seen "3" out there. Maybe they are the same with different names
depending
> > on vender. But I was wondering what the difference was. I'm looking to
get a
> > new PDA and I want to know my options. Please I'm compareing the
difference
> > between the MS PDA OS's please leave palm out of this discusstion that's
one
> > for another day.
>
> I thought PocketPC was just a rebrand because Windows CE was loosing out
> big time to Palm about 3 years ago. I stand corrected if wrong.
>
> Marc
!