Running programs/games from a slave disk

Will there be any noticeable decrease in performance if installing and
running games from a slave disk with little more than mp3/video files? How
often do games access the master drive (i.e. for Windows files, etc)? I
don't really have to worry about using my 2nd drive as a backup for games or
programs just yet, but I was just wondering if 2 drives being accessed at
the same time might cause a performance hit. If it matters, I'm running XP
home with 2 80GB on the same channel.

Thanks!

Todd Brooks wrote:
> Will there be any noticeable decrease in performance if installing and
> running games from a slave disk with little more than mp3/video files? How
> often do games access the master drive (i.e. for Windows files, etc)? I
> don't really have to worry about using my 2nd drive as a backup for games or
> programs just yet, but I was just wondering if 2 drives being accessed at
> the same time might cause a performance hit. If it matters, I'm running XP
> home with 2 80GB on the same channel.

Master/Slave doesn't imply Faster/Slower.
If you are concerned about concurrent access to both drives, however,
you may want to consider having a hard drive on each channel.

-WD

I know the slave isn't slower, I was just asking if concurrent access as you
put it could cause any slowdowns that can be avoided by continuing to
install programs and games on my master. Actually the question I should ask
before that is how often do games/programs that are installed on the slave
access the master, if at all. I assume it depends on the program and how
powerful your system is though, and performance decrease can be subjective.

About the channel, should I have two inputs for hard drive? From what I
could see I only have IDE for one hard drive (primary) and one for
CD-ROM/DVD (secondary). I'm not very knowledgable so I don't know for sure
if this is possible on my motherboard - Asus A7V333.