d2d vs steam

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

i fight steam but i don't fight other direct download systems like d2d
i don't have a problem with direct download systems if i have choice for
myself and to other pc gamers
if the direct download system adds to the market and not takes away, if
the direct download systems included but not excludes then i don't have
anything to go against them
like for example d2d, were all the pc games available have also proper
retail packaged box editions then i don't have any problem with it

have you ever saw me fighting d2d like i fight steam? no! and why?

obviously i don't like it, i don't support it and i will never buy a game
using d2d, but you don't see me attacking d2d like i attack steam cause
with d2d you have choice, deus ex 2, farcry, tribes vengeance are all pc
games available to buy the proper way in my local retail store, so i do
not mind at all d2d cause i have choice!

i truly believe pc gamers will always prefer the packaged box retail
version that's why i don't fear d2d, but with steam its different cause
valve took away choice and decided for ourselves what way should we buy
install and play pc games and that is not admissible!

choice is the thing we pc gamers ask!
we want choice!
we totally refuse valve taking away choice in pc games by using steam!
WE DEMAND CHOICE!
CHOICE IS NOT NEGOTIABLE!
WE WILL ONLY BE PC GAMERS WITH CHOICE!
STEAM TAKES AWAY CHOICE!
that's why i fight steam and i don't fight d2d!
without choice i will never accept buying a pc game!
that is what steam is all about taking choice, freedom from pc gamers!

d2d give you another option when it comes to buying pc games making it
having more competition
steam takes all competition from pc games and wants to turn it into a
monopolistic market!

d2d added itself to the market, so its ok for me
steam is trying to exclude everything else from the market, and that is
totally unacceptable!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

what steam does to pc gamers in a million word worth picture:
http://www.nforce.nl/forum/images/avatars/1405845568421463c26ef44.gif
25 answers Last reply
More about steam
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    sayNO2steam wrote:
    > i fight steam but i don't fight other direct download systems like
    d2d
    > i don't have a problem with direct download systems if i have choice
    for
    > myself and to other pc gamers
    > if the direct download system adds to the market and not takes away,
    if
    > the direct download systems included but not excludes then i don't
    have
    > anything to go against them
    > like for example d2d, were all the pc games available have also
    proper
    > retail packaged box editions then i don't have any problem with it

    HL2 is available via direct download or in a box from a shop. You have
    a choice of how you buy it, the same as d2d.

    In fact with d2d and HL2 you have more choice, because most other games
    are only available in a box.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    mike_noren2...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

    > Retard, retard, retard, retard.
    >
    > Why the hell do people respond to you like you had a point, let alone
    > brain?

    I know why I do it. Not sure why you bothered with this pointless
    diatribe.

    Ah.. you appear to have answered your own question.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Chadwick wrote:
    > sayNO2steam wrote:
    >
    >>i fight steam but i don't fight other direct download systems like
    >
    > d2d
    >
    >>i don't have a problem with direct download systems if i have choice
    >
    > for
    >
    >>myself and to other pc gamers
    >>if the direct download system adds to the market and not takes away,
    >
    > if
    >
    >>the direct download systems included but not excludes then i don't
    >
    > have
    >
    >>anything to go against them
    >>like for example d2d, were all the pc games available have also
    >
    > proper
    >
    >>retail packaged box editions then i don't have any problem with it
    >

    > HL2 is available via direct download or in a box from a shop. You have
    > a choice of how you buy it, the same as d2d.
    >
    > In fact with d2d and HL2 you have more choice, because most other games
    > are only available in a box.

    No. The retail version of HL2 has to be authenticated via Steam and
    cannot be resold or traded once completed like the retail versions of
    other games. The retail version is effectively the same as purchasing
    HL2 online via Steam except you save some time from having to download
    certain content. You have less choice and less options with Steam.

    Had someone purchased FarCry, as an example, in a game shop they'd be
    able to resell or trade their copy once they tired of it. This is
    against the EULA that comes with HL2 which you agree with upon opening
    the packaging and requires extra set of steps to allow it to even be a
    possibility -albeit an illegal set if the EULA can be legally enforced.

    --
    best regards, mat
    np: catholic school girls - stand

    www.pdxshows.net
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    sayNO2steam <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > d2d added itself to the market, so its ok for me
    > steam is trying to exclude everything else from the market, and that is
    > totally unacceptable!

    There are many problems with d2d as a method which is keeping it from being
    used on every site which might want to. It might seem easy to create such a
    site as if its just a merger of a demo download and a shopping cart package
    but its much more of a headache than that.

    The only ones who have created useable packages for managing buy-and-
    download sites, you have spoken out against. So based on what you said I
    take it that you will not have a problem if someone comes up with a d2d
    arrangment you like, that you will not fight it the way you fight steam.

    Gandalf Parker
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 07:51:50 +0000, sayNO2steam <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >i fight steam but i don't fight other direct download systems like d2d
    >i don't have a problem with direct download systems if i have choice for
    >myself and to other pc gamers

    Fool, you forgot to crosspost to rec.sport.pro-wrestling,
    alt.games.video.sony-playstation2, and alt.games.video.xbox, not to mention
    alt.fan.art-bell. HTH!

    --
    Hong Ooi | "COUNTERSRTIKE IS AN REAL-TIME
    hong@zipworld.com.au | STRATEGY GAME!!!"

    In article <ts7241ldp2nqrr15cf39es0caap42svd65@4ax.com>,
    sayNO2steam <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >i fight steam but i don't fight other direct download systems like d2d

    Can someone explain to the newbie what "steam" and "d2d" means?
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    jOhN wrote:
    > The topmostpostingest usenetter has seemed to have provided the petri

    > dish for assorted bateria/responses. I propose we rename him to
    > Agar7h3M3d1um since he is the source and supportive substructure for
    > endless bickering.
    >

    > sayN021d10t5
    >
    > STFU and don't reply u kneejerk lusers..............

    Ooh, I love it when you talk all l33t! You must be so cool!
    BTW, I am more of a topmostpostingest usenetter this month on aghl so
    na na na-na na, your mother's a banana!
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Chadwick wrote:
    > mike_noren2...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    >

    >>Retard, retard, retard, retard.
    >>
    >>Why the hell do people respond to you like you had a point, let alone

    >>brain?
    >

    > I know why I do it. Not sure why you bothered with this pointless
    > diatribe.
    >
    > Ah.. you appear to have answered your own question.

    The topmostpostingest usenetter has seemed to have provided the petri
    dish for assorted bateria/responses. I propose we rename him to
    Agar7h3M3d1um since he is the source and supportive substructure for
    endless bickering.

    sayN021d10t5

    STFU and don't reply u kneejerk lusers..............
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Vader des Vaderlands wrote:
    > Chadwick wrote:
    > > HL2 is available via direct download or in a box from a shop. You
    have
    > > a choice of how you buy it, the same as d2d.
    > >
    > > In fact with d2d and HL2 you have more choice, because most other
    games
    > > are only available in a box.
    > >

    > No. The retail version of HL2 has to be authenticated via Steam and
    > cannot be resold or traded once completed like the retail versions of

    > other games. The retail version is effectively the same as
    purchasing
    > HL2 online via Steam except you save some time from having to
    download
    > certain content. You have less choice and less options with Steam.
    >
    > Had someone purchased FarCry, as an example, in a game shop they'd be

    > able to resell or trade their copy once they tired of it. This is
    > against the EULA that comes with HL2 which you agree with upon
    opening
    > the packaging and requires extra set of steps to allow it to even be
    > possibility -albeit an illegal set if the EULA can be legally
    enforced.

    Sorry, I thought we were talking about purchasing the game. Steam does
    give a choice of purchasing channels.

    As far as reselling the game, the HL2 EULA does not forbid this. The
    Steam EULA forbids reselling of the Steam account. The difficulty is
    that of deregistering the HL2 CD-Code from the Steam Account so that
    the HL2 game can be sold on separately. This is now free for retail
    owners but still inconvenient.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    sayNO2steam wrote:
    > On 23 Mar 2005, "Chadwick" wrote:
    >
    > so how did it felt being knocked out so hard and fast by vader?

    Don't know - it hasn't happened yet. Me and Vader were apparently
    talking about two different aspects of Steam.

    I think we (and yourself) are in agreement that Steam makes it more
    difficult to sell a game for two reasons:

    1) it is inconvenient getting Steam to deregister the CDCode from the
    Steam account.
    2) You have to trust the seller to have done the above properly because
    all you need to play the game is the CD-Code, not the physical disc
    itself.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Vader des Vaderlands wrote:

    > No. The retail version of HL2 has to be authenticated via Steam and
    > cannot be resold or traded once completed like the retail versions of
    > other games. The retail version is effectively the same as purchasing
    > HL2 online via Steam except you save some time from having to download
    > certain content. You have less choice and less options with Steam.
    >
    > Had someone purchased FarCry, as an example, in a game shop they'd be
    > able to resell or trade their copy once they tired of it. This is
    > against the EULA that comes with HL2 which you agree with upon opening
    > the packaging and requires extra set of steps to allow it to even be a
    > possibility -albeit an illegal set if the EULA can be legally enforced.

    perfection!
    with this kind of quality post my job in this group is no longer needed
    and yes i must admit this is much better than what i can acomplish

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    against steam campaign
    http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

    steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
    http://www.steamwatch.org/

    what steam does to pc gamers in a million word worth picture:
    http://www.nforce.nl/forum/images/avatars/1405845568421463c26ef44.gif
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Gandalf Parker wrote:

    > There are many problems with d2d as a method which is keeping it from being
    > used on every site which might want to. It might seem easy to create such a

    other sites want it?
    but d2d is only a store it doesn't want to create a standard for the all
    industry but instead sell pc games via internet via download

    d2d is a store like ebgames but instead of shipping a physical packaged
    box it makes costumers download via de net

    if other sites want to do the same let them create their own standards,
    you don't see gogamers "imitating" ebgames do you? so why making every
    download pc game store be like d2d?

    > site as if its just a merger of a demo download and a shopping cart package
    > but its much more of a headache than that.

    for me any downloaded pc game is a headache so its not related to d2d,
    but instead cause of the extra difficulty in handling downloaded games
    don't forget
    you must do your own backup
    you must have extra space on your hard disk
    you must deal with difficult copy protections

    the headaches you talk about comes from the downloaded games themselves
    and not cause of d2d system or procedures

    do you forget we have been buying, installing and playing pc games in a
    physical packaged format for over 10 years!
    over 10 years mister galdalf! so we are used to it!
    we are used to play pc games in this format the packaged box, and most
    of us don't want to change, and even those which think they want will
    find out downloaded game bring lots of problems, extra work and much
    less reliable means of store
    that's the headaches mister galdalf!

    > The only ones who have created useable packages for managing buy-and-
    > download sites, you have spoken out against. So based on what you said I

    are you talking about steam?
    didn't you read my post?
    haven't you by now understood my point of view
    what did i wrote about which makes steam so different from d2d?
    its called choice!
    choice!
    if a system is created which takes away choice i'm against!
    there always has to be choice of buying a pc game in a retail store in
    a physical packaged box cd/dvd!
    don't you get it by now?

    > take it that you will not have a problem if someone comes up with a d2d
    > arrangment you like, that you will not fight it the way you fight steam.

    why are you making it so difficult to understand?
    i know why, you can admit and face the issue
    you have refused to face the issue from the beginning!
    that's why i don't take you seriously when discussing steam cause you
    are so biased you can deal with the true issue... CHOICE!

    i want choice!
    i want to have the choice to by my pc game in a retail store in a
    physical packaged box cd/dvd! ok!

    and to end let me give you an example although i bet you will again not
    face the real issues...

    you know ubisoft do you?
    a great publisher
    with so much quality that even big ea wants to buy them
    i don't blame them but i'm totally against it
    but going back to good ubisoft
    they respect the pc gamer
    they give us choice!
    choice do you listen!
    CHOICE mister galdalf!
    ubisoft gives us lots of choice when buying their pc games
    and the choices are:
    .. buy in your local retail store in a physical packaged box published by
    ubisoft themselves
    .. buy in your local retail store in a physical packaged box published by
    third party specialized budged publishers
    .. buy in ubisoft store directly in a physical packaged box
    .. buy in ubisoft store directly in download format
    .. buy in d2d store in a download format

    ubisoft is an example of what a publisher should be!
    they give choice!
    they let the market decide!
    they let us pc gamers decide!
    that's what i'm asking ok mister galdalf!
    let the market decide!
    let us pc gamers decide!
    don't force anything like valve does!
    ubisoft adds to the market
    valve takes from the market!
    do you now see the difference????

    but i know your point of view, you want to force pc gamers into giving
    up physical packaged box cd/dvd!
    like valve you want to force pc gamers into a system you have choose
    but no sir, me and no pc gamer will ever accept this! ever!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    against steam campaign
    http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

    steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
    http://www.steamwatch.org/

    what steam does to pc gamers in a million word worth picture:
    http://www.nforce.nl/forum/images/avatars/1405845568421463c26ef44.gif
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On 23 Mar 2005, "Chadwick" wrote:

    so how did it felt being knocked out so hard and fast by vader?
    it was so fast and powerfull you didn't even see it coming
    come on Chadwick next time be more careful you don't want to be beaten
    like this every single day do you?

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    against steam campaign
    http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

    steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
    http://www.steamwatch.org/

    what steam does to pc gamers in a million word worth picture:
    http://www.nforce.nl/forum/images/avatars/1405845568421463c26ef44.gif
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Chadwick wrote:

    > As far as reselling the game, the HL2 EULA does not forbid this. The
    > Steam EULA forbids reselling of the Steam account. The difficulty is
    > that of deregistering the HL2 CD-Code from the Steam Account so that
    > the HL2 game can be sold on separately. This is now free for retail
    > owners but still inconvenient.

    That's true. It's just that since the Steam account and the ability to
    play the game are intertwined that I confused that one could sell the
    physical goods of HL2 retail. I haven't heard any success stories of
    someone resetting a Steam account so that another person could play it.
    Valve probably would give the second-hand buyer a funny look if they
    e-mailed them with such a request. ;)

    --
    best regards, mat
    np: [winamp not running]

    www.pdxshows.net
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    > but i know your point of view, you want to force pc gamers into giving
    > up physical packaged box cd/dvd!
    > like valve you want to force pc gamers into a system you have choose
    > but no sir, me and no pc gamer will ever accept this! ever!

    I want to force? You see ME as the person trying to force something to
    happen? Im just seeing how things are going. I even rarely bother to say
    whether or not I personally like it or dislike it since I rather doubt
    that anyone here cares if I like/dislike it unless they ask me.

    Maybe thats the problem. Everytime I say "things are like this" you seem
    to think Im saying that I like it that way.

    Im all for choice. No choice ever goes away completely. We still have
    freeware, shareware, public domain, open source, microsoft games, free
    servers, p2p, etc etc even though they all have been declared "going to
    die off" in the past. And retail in stores will never dissappear though I
    believe its never going to return to its heighth no matter what you want.
    And I believe that eventually d2d (direct to download, the method, not
    the site) will be more common as soon as the bugs are worked out of it.
    Maybe not like Steam and GalCiv have done but something for pay-to-
    download.

    As to what I want? I want to be able to get games easily in as large a
    range of choices as possible.

    Gandalf Parker
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Vader des Vaderlands" <vader@vaderlands.nl> wrote in message
    > Chadwick wrote:
    >> sayNO2steam wrote:
    >>
    >>>i fight steam but i don't fight other direct download systems like
    >>
    >> d2d
    >>
    >>>i don't have a problem with direct download systems if i have choice
    >>
    >> for
    >>
    >>>myself and to other pc gamers
    >>>if the direct download system adds to the market and not takes away,
    >>
    >> if
    >>
    >>>the direct download systems included but not excludes then i don't
    >>
    >> have
    >>
    >>>anything to go against them
    >>>like for example d2d, were all the pc games available have also
    >>
    >> proper
    >>
    >>>retail packaged box editions then i don't have any problem with it
    >>

    >> HL2 is available via direct download or in a box from a shop. You have
    >> a choice of how you buy it, the same as d2d.
    >>
    >> In fact with d2d and HL2 you have more choice, because most other games
    >> are only available in a box.
    >>

    > No. The retail version of HL2 has to be authenticated via Steam and
    > cannot be resold or traded once completed like the retail versions of
    > other games. The retail version is effectively the same as purchasing HL2
    > online via Steam except you save some time from having to download certain
    > content. You have less choice and less options with Steam.
    >
    > Had someone purchased FarCry, as an example, in a game shop they'd be able
    > to resell or trade their copy once they tired of it. This is against the
    > EULA that comes with HL2 which you agree with upon opening the packaging
    > and requires extra set of steps to allow it to even be a
    > possibility -albeit an illegal set if the EULA can be legally enforced.
    >

    > --
    > best regards, mat
    > np: catholic school girls - stand
    >
    > www.pdxshows.net

    At First I felt kinda ripped off when I installed HL2. It came packaged
    with Steam. But now since I been using it I got used to it. There are
    advantges,it updates the games registered, no need for a physical
    install.Have the tools for modding. I purchased Half Life Platnum and
    registered it with Steam because when I installed HL It the updates failed
    with the original Won.net. Steam updated to current technology (direct3d)
    and is pretty close to HL2 graphics now than before.
    I just feel sorry for anyone with Dial up bandwidth ,it'll take days to
    update LOL
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On 24 Mar 2005, "Chadwick" wrote:

    give it a rest! or do you want another black eye!!!

    > Sorry, I thought we were talking about purchasing the game. Steam does
    > give a choice of purchasing channels.

    damn it, you are so stupid... how many time do i need to write this
    HALF-LIFE 2 IS NOT A PROPER RETAIL PACKAGED BOX CD/DVD PRODUCT!
    ITS A LIE! ITS A FILTHY LIE FOR YOUR DISGUSTING MASTER VALVE!
    HALF-LIFE 2 SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED TO THE SOLD IN RETAIL!
    NO STEAM INFECTED PC GAMES SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO BE SOLD IN RETAIL!
    VALVE IS USING THE POWERFULL RETAIL CHANNEL TO SPREAD ITS INFECTING
    LYING SPYWARE DISGUSTING STEAM!
    WE WANT STEAM OUT OF THE RETAIL CHANNEL NOW!
    WE WANT VALVE TO STOP INFECTING THE HEALTHY RETAIL CHANNEL NOW!!!!
    STEAM OUT OF THE RETAIL CHANNEL NOW!!!!!
    IF YOU WANT STEAM GET IT VIA INTERNET AND NEVER USING OUR DEAR AND
    SO IMPORTANT RETAIL CHANNEL!!!!
    WE DEMAND A STEAM FREE RETAIL CHANNEL!!!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    against steam campaign
    http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

    steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
    http://www.steamwatch.org/

    what steam does to pc gamers in a million word worth picture:
    http://www.nforce.nl/forum/images/avatars/1405845568421463c26ef44.gif
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    sayNO2steam wrote:

    > damn it, you are so stupid... how many time do i need to write this
    > HALF-LIFE 2 IS NOT A PROPER RETAIL PACKAGED BOX CD/DVD PRODUCT!
    > ITS A LIE! ITS A FILTHY LIE FOR YOUR DISGUSTING MASTER VALVE!
    > HALF-LIFE 2 SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED TO THE SOLD IN RETAIL!
    > NO STEAM INFECTED PC GAMES SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO BE SOLD IN RETAIL!
    > VALVE IS USING THE POWERFULL RETAIL CHANNEL TO SPREAD ITS INFECTING
    > LYING SPYWARE DISGUSTING STEAM!
    > WE WANT STEAM OUT OF THE RETAIL CHANNEL NOW!
    > WE WANT VALVE TO STOP INFECTING THE HEALTHY RETAIL CHANNEL NOW!!!!
    > STEAM OUT OF THE RETAIL CHANNEL NOW!!!!!
    > IF YOU WANT STEAM GET IT VIA INTERNET AND NEVER USING OUR DEAR AND
    > SO IMPORTANT RETAIL CHANNEL!!!!
    > WE DEMAND A STEAM FREE RETAIL CHANNEL!!!

    Wait, what do you mean, what are you talking about, we decided!? My best
    interest?! How can you know what's my best interest is? How can you say what
    my best interest is? What are you trying to say, I'm crazy? When I went to
    your schools, I went to your churches, I went to your institutional learning
    facilities?! So how can you say I'm crazy?
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On 24 Mar 2005, "Chadwick" wrote:

    > I think we (and yourself) are in agreement that Steam makes it more

    WHAT???? ME AGREEING WITH YOU A DISGUSTING PRO STEAM???? NEVER!!! NEVER!
    I'LL NEVER AGREE WITH YOU OR ANY OTHER REPULSIVE LYING LOYAL SUBMISSIVE
    VALVE GAMER! NEVER!
    VALVE IS DESTROYING THE RETAIL CHANNEL BY INFECTED IT WITH STEAM!
    VALVE IS DESTROYING PC GAMES AND PC GAMERS AND A HOBBY WHICH HAS BEEN
    SO DEAR TO US ALL FOR THE LAST DECADE!
    VALVE IS THE DOOM MESSIAH!!!! AND ME AND EVERY SINGLE PC GAMER WHICH
    REALLY LOVES AND HAS PASSION FOR PC GAMES WILL DO EVERYTHING IN ITS
    POWER TO STOP THEM!!!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    against steam campaign
    http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

    steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
    http://www.steamwatch.org/

    what steam does to pc gamers in a million word worth picture:
    http://www.nforce.nl/forum/images/avatars/1405845568421463c26ef44.gif
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    > you can never the used as a good example... only as a BAD ONE! sorry!

    I disagreed with everything you said. Your view of game categories and your
    view of me. But I guess that balances out my view of you.
    Have fun, good luck, bye bye.

    Gandalf Parker
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    What I actually said was:
    I think we (and yourself) are in agreement that Steam makes it more
    difficult to sell a game for two reasons:

    1) it is inconvenient getting Steam to deregister the CDCode from the
    Steam account.
    2) You have to trust the seller to have done the above properly because
    all you need to play the game is the CD-Code, not the physical disc
    itself.

    Are you saying that you disagree with this? That Steam does NOT make it
    more difficult to sell a game?

    If you're going to disagree with me on principle, what will you do if I
    say "I agree that Steam is rubbish"?

    And, for the record, I am not disgusting, repulsive or submissive.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    sayNO2steam wrote:
    > On 24 Mar 2005, "Chadwick" wrote:
    >
    > give it a rest! or do you want another black eye!!!

    Are you threatening me with physical violence because I criticised the
    way way Steam restricts reselling of games?

    > > Sorry, I thought we were talking about purchasing the game. Steam
    does
    > > give a choice of purchasing channels.
    >
    > damn it, you are so stupid... how many time do i need to write this
    > HALF-LIFE 2 IS NOT A PROPER RETAIL PACKAGED BOX CD/DVD PRODUCT!
    > ITS A LIE!

    No, it's true, it is a proper retail packaged box DVD product. Would
    you like me to email you a photo of it? Or, you could go down to your
    local shop and they'll probably have it on the shelves. If you can't
    believe the evidence on the shop shelves, then it's you who is being
    stupid.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On 28 Mar 2005, "Chadwick" wrote:

    > If you're going to disagree with me on principle, what will you do if I
    > say "I agree that Steam is rubbish"?

    coming from you not enough and it falls short of what steam is

    i will only agree with you the day you say:
    steam is very damaging
    steam is against pc gamers consumer rights
    steam has to disappear from pc games

    i know what you have been trying to do in this group, you have tried to
    reach a compromise to negotiate a fair steam, but that i will not accept

    my freedom! my dignity! my consumer rights are not negotiable!
    do you understand mr chadwick!
    steam never ever!

    --
    to check this post authenticity please read the thread "check for post
    authenticity" in this group and if you have any doubt please email me

    this post is copyright of myself and cannot be used in any way without
    my express permission with the only exception for being used to quote
    part of my post in a direct follow-up, without any change in original
    text

    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    against steam campaign
    http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

    steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
    http://www.steamwatch.org/

    what steam does to pc gamers in a million word worth picture:
    http://www.nforce.nl/forum/images/avatars/1405845568421463c26ef44.gif
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Chadwick wrote:
    > sayNO2steam wrote:
    >
    >>On 24 Mar 2005, "Chadwick" wrote:
    >>
    >>give it a rest! or do you want another black eye!!!
    >>

    > Are you threatening me with physical violence because I criticised the
    > way way Steam restricts reselling of games?
    >

    >>>Sorry, I thought we were talking about purchasing the game. Steam
    >
    > does
    >
    >>>give a choice of purchasing channels.
    >>
    >>damn it, you are so stupid... how many time do i need to write this
    >>HALF-LIFE 2 IS NOT A PROPER RETAIL PACKAGED BOX CD/DVD PRODUCT!
    >>ITS A LIE!
    >

    > No, it's true, it is a proper retail packaged box DVD product. Would
    > you like me to email you a photo of it? Or, you could go down to your
    > local shop and they'll probably have it on the shelves. If you can't
    > believe the evidence on the shop shelves, then it's you who is being
    > stupid.

    SayNO,
    Why don't you just reword what you're saying
    so it's what you mean? People have pointed out that
    a boxed retail version of HL2 exists numerous times
    and you still don't get it. You can buy boxed versions
    of multiplayer games from retail stores and they are still
    considered retail versions - "Properly Packaged" too. Of
    course they also require internet connections. But that
    doesn't mean they're not
    "PROPER RETAIL PACKAGED BOX CD/DVD PRODUCT."

    You can't play the store bought version of HL2 out of the box.
    You have to connect to Steam after you install the game
    and wait for files to download or decrypt or do whatever they
    do to make the game usable. And it's a bit more time consuming
    than simple product activation, especially if you're on dialup.
    Not a big deal if you play multiplayer games, but if you're
    on dialup (like SayNO seems to be) and normally play only
    single player games, the single player version of HL2 will
    have extra hassle.

    But that doesn't mean the boxed version of HL2 isn't a
    "PROPER RETAIL PACKAGED BOX CD/DVD PRODUCT."
    SayNO, you might want "internet connection required, high
    speed internet recommended, even for single player" to be
    emblazoned in big letters across the front of the box,
    but that's not going to happen. The best you can argue
    is that the labelling is somewhat misleading.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    mrlg wrote:
    > SayNO,
    > Why don't you just reword what you're saying
    > so it's what you mean? People have pointed out that
    > a boxed retail version of HL2 exists numerous times
    > and you still don't get it. You can buy boxed versions
    > of multiplayer games from retail stores and they are still
    > considered retail versions - "Properly Packaged" too. Of
    > course they also require internet connections. But that
    > doesn't mean they're not
    > "PROPER RETAIL PACKAGED BOX CD/DVD PRODUCT."
    >
    > You can't play the store bought version of HL2 out of the box.
    > You have to connect to Steam after you install the game
    > and wait for files to download or decrypt or do whatever they
    > do to make the game usable. And it's a bit more time consuming
    > than simple product activation, especially if you're on dialup.
    > Not a big deal if you play multiplayer games, but if you're
    > on dialup (like SayNO seems to be) and normally play only
    > single player games, the single player version of HL2 will
    > have extra hassle.
    >
    > But that doesn't mean the boxed version of HL2 isn't a
    > "PROPER RETAIL PACKAGED BOX CD/DVD PRODUCT."
    > SayNO, you might want "internet connection required, high
    > speed internet recommended, even for single player" to be
    > emblazoned in big letters across the front of the box,
    > but that's not going to happen. The best you can argue
    > is that the labelling is somewhat misleading.

    It might happen. I'm not sure what the outcome of the German legal
    challenge was, but I agree with other posters who want the internet
    requirement explained a little more clearly on the box. Doesn't need to
    be in fluorescent lettering - just the same as the stuff that says
    "This is an expansion pack and you need the original game to play it".

Download Games Steam IBM Video Games