what hard drive to buy?

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
July 25, 2004 6:39:51 PM

I've been looking at the Maxtor 6E040L0 40GB 2 MB cache and 6Y080P0
80GB 8 MB cache. I don't really need 80GB. 40GB is actually more than
enough. Based on a large HD vs. a small HD, are there advantages like
speed, how quiet it is, etc... and should I be looking at other brand
names?

More about : hard drive buy

Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 26, 2004 7:08:31 AM

jfclay@yahoo.com wrote:

> I've been looking at the Maxtor 6E040L0 40GB 2 MB cache and 6Y080P0
> 80GB 8 MB cache. I don't really need 80GB. 40GB is actually more than
> enough. Based on a large HD vs. a small HD, are there advantages like
> speed, how quiet it is, etc...

Hello,

Any differences should be negligible, in everyday practice.

>and should I be looking at other brand
> names?

I favor Samsung, from both online research and personal experience.
Affordable, quiet, cool and reliable.

Good luck!

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
July 26, 2004 10:41:34 PM

On 26 Jul 2004 03:08:31 EDT, John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote:

[snip]

>I favor Samsung, from both online research and personal experience.
>Affordable, quiet, cool and reliable.

....and a three-year warranty :-)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 28, 2004 4:35:52 AM

Steve wrote:

> On 26 Jul 2004 03:08:31 EDT, John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

> >I favor Samsung, from both online research and personal experience.
> >Affordable, quiet, cool and reliable.
>
> ...and a three-year warranty :-)

Hello, Steve:

Only on retail models (not OEM ones), however. I should've mentioned it,
before, anyway...just forgot. <g>