Seagate Introduces 5-Year Warranty on all Internal Compute..

Andy

http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsroom/releases/article/0,1121,2285,00.html
SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif.—26 July 2004— Seagate Technology (NYSE:STX), the
world's leading hard disc drive maker, today announced it has
introduced a 5-year warranty, effective immediately, on every Seagate
internal PC, notebook and enterprise hard drive shipped through its
distribution and retail channels throughout the world. This
unprecedented move establishes Seagate as the undisputed leader in
providing best-in-class warranty protection, boosting standard 1-year
and 3-year warranties to an industry-leading 5 years on the world's
most reliable hard drives. Together with the company's unparalleled
introduction last month of 12 new products for every hard drive
application, Seagate has further strengthened its category leadership
in the storage market. The new warranty applies retroactively to
applicable hard drives shipped since June 1, 2004.

I like the "news" flavor. Don't know if anyone buys it though- they could
have kissed their own ass a *little* less.. it gets worse in the actual
article. A good warranty nevertheless, though they don't say explicitly what
it covers.

--

"Andy" <1@2.3> wrote in message

http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsroom/releases/article/0,1121,2285,00.html
> SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif.-26 July 2004- Seagate Technology (NYSE:STX), the
> world's leading hard disc drive maker, today announced it has
> introduced a 5-year warranty, effective immediately, on every Seagate
> internal PC, notebook and enterprise hard drive shipped through its
> distribution and retail channels throughout the world. This
> unprecedented move establishes Seagate as the undisputed leader in
> providing best-in-class warranty protection, boosting standard 1-year
> and 3-year warranties to an industry-leading 5 years on the world's
> most reliable hard drives. Together with the company's unparalleled
> introduction last month of 12 new products for every hard drive
> application, Seagate has further strengthened its category leadership
> in the storage market. The new warranty applies retroactively to
> applicable hard drives shipped since June 1, 2004.

Someone

"Andy" <1@2.3> wrote in message

http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsroom/releases/article/0,1121,2285,00.html
> SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif.-26 July 2004- Seagate Technology (NYSE:STX), the
> world's leading hard disc drive maker, today announced it has
> introduced a 5-year warranty, effective immediately, on every Seagate
> internal PC, notebook and enterprise hard drive shipped through its
> distribution and retail channels throughout the world. This
> unprecedented move establishes Seagate as the undisputed leader in
> providing best-in-class warranty protection, boosting standard 1-year
> and 3-year warranties to an industry-leading 5 years on the world's
> most reliable hard drives. Together with the company's unparalleled
> introduction last month of 12 new products for every hard drive
> application, Seagate has further strengthened its category leadership
> in the storage market. The new warranty applies retroactively to
> applicable hard drives shipped since June 1, 2004.

Definitely an interesting development.
I too suspect it is a marketing ploy.

Will any of the other mfg's follow and offer a 5 year warranty?

"Todd Brooks" <todd@mktradingNOSPAM.org> wrote in message
> I like the "news" flavor. Don't know if anyone buys it though- they could
> have kissed their own ass a *little* less.. it gets worse in the actual
> article. A good warranty nevertheless, though they don't say explicitly
what
> it covers.

HUH : "on every Seagate internal PC, notebook and enterprise hard drive
shipped through its distribution and retail channels throughout the world."

Do you work for Hitachi?

> "Andy" <1@2.3> wrote in message

http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsroom/releases/article/0,1121,2285,00.html
> > SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif.-26 July 2004- Seagate Technology (NYSE:STX), the
> > world's leading hard disc drive maker, today announced it has
> > introduced a 5-year warranty, effective immediately, on every Seagate
> > internal PC, notebook and enterprise hard drive shipped through its
> > distribution and retail channels throughout the world. This
> > unprecedented move establishes Seagate as the undisputed leader in
> > providing best-in-class warranty protection, boosting standard 1-year
> > and 3-year warranties to an industry-leading 5 years on the world's
> > most reliable hard drives. Together with the company's unparalleled
> > introduction last month of 12 new products for every hard drive
> > application, Seagate has further strengthened its category leadership
> > in the storage market. The new warranty applies retroactively to
> > applicable hard drives shipped since June 1, 2004.

I was referring to the terms of the warranty.

--

> I was referring to the terms of the warranty.

Obviously drive train but no body work as certainly it wouldn't cover drive
failure.

> "Ron Reaugh" <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Todd Brooks" <todd@mktradingNOSPAM.org> wrote in message
> > > I like the "news" flavor. Don't know if anyone buys it though- they
> could
> > > have kissed their own ass a *little* less.. it gets worse in the
actual
> > > article. A good warranty nevertheless, though they don't say
explicitly
> > what
> > > it covers.
> >
> > HUH : "on every Seagate internal PC, notebook and enterprise hard drive
> > shipped through its distribution and retail channels throughout the
> world."
> >
> > Do you work for Hitachi?
> >
> > > "Andy" <1@2.3> wrote in message

http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsroom/releases/article/0,1121,2285,00.html
Seagate

what difference does it make? if the hd breaks down you send it back for a
new one. Frankly any hd manufacturer that offers a 1 year warranty should be
ashamed of themselves.

I know what brand of hd I'm getting next