2 operating systems, device drivers

Hi,
I have a PC with Windows XP and I'm going to add a 2nd HD to my PC and
install fedora on it (dual-boot).
My question is: will the 2 operating systems use the same device
drivers to interact with devices like CD-drive, sound card, video
card, TV card, etc? Or will each operating system use it's own device
drivers?
If the later, then does this mean that I need to install the device
drivers again for Fedora, is there a possibility of confusin happening
between the device drivers of the 2 operating systems? Will this
affect the devices themselves?
Many thanks for any reply,
Regards,
Miori
2 answers Last reply
More about operating systems device drivers

    Miori wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have a PC with Windows XP and I'm going to add a 2nd HD to my PC and
    > install fedora on it (dual-boot).
    > My question is: will the 2 operating systems use the same device
    > drivers to interact with devices like CD-drive, sound card, video
    > card, TV card, etc?

    Absolutely not. Windows has its own drivers, Linux has its own drivers.

    -WD

    Previously Miori <cattorayye@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have a PC with Windows XP and I'm going to add a 2nd HD to my PC and
    > install fedora on it (dual-boot).
    > My question is: will the 2 operating systems use the same device
    > drivers to interact with devices like CD-drive, sound card, video
    > card, TV card, etc? Or will each operating system use it's own device
    > drivers?

    In most cases its own drivers. There is a limited possibility
    to use Windows-drivers in Linux by means of a special wrapper,
    but it is a last resort.

    > If the later, then does this mean that I need to install the device
    > drivers again for Fedora, is there a possibility of confusin happening
    > between the device drivers of the 2 operating systems? Will this
    > affect the devices themselves?

    The Linux model is different. Most drivers are not installed later,
    but already included into the kernel. So usually you need to install
    no or very few drivers for Linux.

    Arno

Drivers Systems Devices Storage