Hard disk suddenly not recognized by BIOS anymore

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
July 29, 2004 11:49:21 AM

Suddenly one of the two large hard drives connected to a Promise
Ultra100 PCI card is no longer recognized, and not detected in the
BIOS. Western Digital 180gb (not detected) and WD 250gb (working
fine).

The only clue I have is that just prior to this problem, the mouse
cable was jiggled in and out of the PS/2 port. I did detect a mild
burning smell around the power supply, but it was subtle and maybe was
nothing really unusual, and everything works okay, except the one
drive hard.

However, in the past, when the mouse port was not used, the Promise
driver would not recognize the attached hard drives, and the system
would freeze during boot-up. I always had to attach a mouse to the
PS/2 port in order to run the PC with the Ultra100 drives.

I later tried accessing the problem hard drive from an external hard
drive case (USB interface), and the system froze during POST. As soon
as the computer was turned on, the external case's green light started
blinking and continued doing that when while the PC froze. (The 250gb
drive worked fine in the external hard drive case.)

I need to recover the data, and need to find out if the problem is
physical hard drive damage, or a messed up MBR, FAT, partition, or
something that might be fixed with software. I'm booting with a
multi-OS boot utility called BootIt NT, but only running installations
of Windows 98se.

Any helpful advice would be much appreciated.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 30, 2004 2:59:24 AM

"S. Lipson" <slipson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Suddenly one of the two large hard drives connected to a Promise
> Ultra100 PCI card is no longer recognized, and not detected in the
> BIOS. Western Digital 180gb (not detected) and WD 250gb (working
> fine).
>
> The only clue I have is that just prior to this problem, the mouse
> cable was jiggled in and out of the PS/2 port. I did detect a mild
> burning smell around the power supply, but it was subtle and maybe was
> nothing really unusual, and everything works okay, except the one
> drive hard.
>
> However, in the past, when the mouse port was not used, the Promise
> driver would not recognize the attached hard drives, and the system
> would freeze during boot-up. I always had to attach a mouse to the
> PS/2 port in order to run the PC with the Ultra100 drives.
>
> I later tried accessing the problem hard drive from an external hard
> drive case (USB interface), and the system froze during POST. As soon
> as the computer was turned on, the external case's green light started
> blinking and continued doing that when while the PC froze. (The 250gb
> drive worked fine in the external hard drive case.)
>
> I need to recover the data, and need to find out if the problem is
> physical hard drive damage, or a messed up MBR, FAT, partition, or
> something that might be fixed with software. I'm booting with a
> multi-OS boot utility called BootIt NT, but only running installations
> of Windows 98se.
>
> Any helpful advice would be much appreciated.
The drive has a hardware problem, it is BROKE! The only thing you can
try is to fit a new logic board from a same model drive, otherwise you are
into professional Data Recovery, which is VERY expensive, high 3 figures.
Mike.
May 29, 2009 2:16:28 PM

Sorry to hear about that Anonymous. I know exactly what your going through. I once lost all my files and family pictures I saved on my external HDD and I had no backups. That's when I started using Safecopy online backup, www.safecopybackup.com, to backup my files.
With Safecopy I can backup all my files from both my Mac and Pc with just only one account. I can also backup my USB drives and share files as well. I'm very happy with and it's worth checking it. Good luck!!
!