Foxhound

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2002
I have 2 computers on a Peer-Peer network.

System A:
Windows 98 SE
Pentium166MMX
64MB SDRAM
C drive and D drive on drive share.

System B:
Windows 98 SE
Pentium III 500mhz
128MB SDRAM
C drive on drive share.

Both the systems have 10/100mbs LAN cards and using a cat 5 cable. Netbios and TCP/IP is installed. I use netbios for file sharing and TCP/IP for ICS.

Problem:
Sometimes when i use system B to pull or push files to C drive of system A.. the performance would be like 50-100k*BITS* per sec. But at that time if i transfer the files to D drive instead, the performance can go up to 7+Mbits per sec (probably limited by the 166 processor and such). But it can reach 7mbit when i pull / push FroM system A instead.

But at other times i can push and pull files from either drives with no problem.

Anyone has any idea what is going on with my network?

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
It might be problems with the actual cable, is it stretched-out, twisted, or perhaps the humidity in the house... All factors... Also, it might be the RAM... try transfering files with no programs running, do you get the same problems?

Staggering out of the shower this morning, I hear the hair-dryer. "Whose awake?" I think... Till I realize its my computer - talk about a windtunnel

Foxhound

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2002
Twisted Cat5 cable.. and twisted it is. but the odd thign is when i pull from desktop (C: and D:) to my laptop... sometiems one drive transfers normal, while the other is pathetically slow.. and this was done at about the same time(exmaple: sometimes when i see C: is transfering ery slowly.. i transfer the file to d: and try again.. or vice versa). Sometimes both are slow.. and there are times when both are fast...

all the while the programs running are the same few. not my Zonealarm i suppose.. cos i disabled LAN scanning. and it makes no sense that its slowing C: but not D: or D: but not C: or both or none at all at times..