Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Protable USB hard disk

Last response: in Storage
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 30, 2004 11:46:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Hello,

I have a P3 laptop date back in 2000. It has 10 G HDD and it is nearly
full. I am looking to buy a USB hard disk to add some storage to my laptop.
I have a PC and I need to transfer data between the two systems most of the
time. I have some questions that you may help me:



1- is it a good idea to buy a USB hard disk for this purpose?

2- Can I install software on it? If yes can I run these software when I
connect it to my PC? Some software change parameters in registry and hence I
think it is not possible to install software on a portable hard disk.

3- Can I boot from this hard disk?

4- Is the hard disk (2.5") in a portable hard disks the same as the hard
disks that is used in laptops? I may want to change my laptop hard disk with
the hard disk inside one of these systems. Can I do this?



Any other suggestion?



Best regards

More about : protable usb hard disk

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 30, 2004 11:46:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 19:46:35 +0100, "ma" <ma@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
> I have a P3 laptop date back in 2000. It has 10 G HDD and it is nearly
>full. I am looking to buy a USB hard disk to add some storage to my laptop.
>I have a PC and I need to transfer data between the two systems most of the
>time. I have some questions that you may help me:
>
>
>
>1- is it a good idea to buy a USB hard disk for this purpose?

Yes.

>2- Can I install software on it? If yes can I run these software when I
>connect it to my PC? Some software change parameters in registry and hence I
>think it is not possible to install software on a portable hard disk.

Yes.

>3- Can I boot from this hard disk?

Depends on the laptop's BIOS but your laptop may not be able to boot
from USB drives.

>4- Is the hard disk (2.5") in a portable hard disks the same as the hard
>disks that is used in laptops? I may want to change my laptop hard disk with
>the hard disk inside one of these systems. Can I do this?

Usually. All USB drives I've checked are IDE drives with USB to IDE
interface. In some cases, the USB interface may be coded only for
certain hard drive it comes with and not work with your 10GB hard
drive.

--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 31, 2004 9:05:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Get an IPod instead

"ma" <ma@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:410a978c@212.67.96.135...
> Hello,
>
> I have a P3 laptop date back in 2000. It has 10 G HDD and it is nearly
> full. I am looking to buy a USB hard disk to add some storage to my
laptop.
> I have a PC and I need to transfer data between the two systems most of
the
> time. I have some questions that you may help me:
>
>
>
> 1- is it a good idea to buy a USB hard disk for this purpose?
>
> 2- Can I install software on it? If yes can I run these software when I
> connect it to my PC? Some software change parameters in registry and hence
I
> think it is not possible to install software on a portable hard disk.
>
> 3- Can I boot from this hard disk?
>
> 4- Is the hard disk (2.5") in a portable hard disks the same as the hard
> disks that is used in laptops? I may want to change my laptop hard disk
with
> the hard disk inside one of these systems. Can I do this?
>
>
>
> Any other suggestion?
>
>
>
> Best regards
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 31, 2004 10:28:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Why should anyone support Apple? Do you like being locked into a proprietary
DRM audio format that Jobie refuses to licence?

"Ray Silva" <raysilva928@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:wsednb059dR1rpHcRVn-qg@adelphia.com...
> Get an IPod instead
>
!