Is my hard disk in danger?

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
July 31, 2004 12:04:04 PM

I have downloaded and installed the trial version of "Active Smart 2.41"

(http://www.ariolic.com).

As soon as I started the programme a warning popup windows appears with the
following message:

"WARNING! The drive Maxtor 6Y120MO, 122.9 GB [S/N: Y31XRT1E] indicated a
S.M.A.R.T error condition. Immediately back-up your data and replace this
hard drive!
A failure may be imminent"

In the status window of the programme the item "Reallocated Sector Count" is
red

Threshold 63
Value 3
Worst 3

What does it mean? Is really my hard drive about to crash??

Thanks for your time

More about : hard disk danger

Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 31, 2004 12:07:49 PM

hi ,
i would download and run maxtors diagnostic utility to verify the
condition of the drive . i would back up asap if it gives any
indication of problem .
hope this helps ,
terry

==============
a b G Storage
July 31, 2004 5:03:07 PM

"terry_b17" <terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:410b8b95_6@news.athenanews.com...
> hi ,
> i would download and run maxtors diagnostic utility to verify the
> condition of the drive . i would back up asap if it gives any
> indication of problem .
> hope this helps ,
> terry

thanks for your answer but on maxtor's site I couldn't find any di
diagnostic utility save for powermax that runs under dos and I have winXp

> ==============
troubleshooting newsgroups.
a b G Storage
July 31, 2004 5:03:08 PM

Mr Anderson wrote:
> "terry_b17" <terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> ha scritto nel
> messaggio news:410b8b95_6@news.athenanews.com...
>
>>hi ,
>> i would download and run maxtors diagnostic utility to verify the
>>condition of the drive . i would back up asap if it gives any
>>indication of problem .
>>hope this helps ,
>>terry
>>

> thanks for your answer but on maxtor's site I couldn't find any di
> diagnostic utility save for powermax that runs under dos and I have winXp

Powermax runs from a bootable floppy. You *did* read the instructions,
right?!

-WD
July 31, 2004 5:28:18 PM

"Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message
> I have downloaded and installed the trial version of "Active Smart 2.41"
>
> (http://www.ariolic.com).
>
> As soon as I started the programme a warning popup windows appears with
the
> following message:
>
> "WARNING! The drive Maxtor 6Y120MO, 122.9 GB [S/N: Y31XRT1E] indicated a
> S.M.A.R.T error condition. Immediately back-up your data and replace this
> hard drive!
> A failure may be imminent"

How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to understand
it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?

--
Joep
Anonymous

"Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
> "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message
> > I have downloaded and installed the trial version of "Active Smart 2.41"
> >
> > (http://www.ariolic.com).
> >
> > As soon as I started the programme a warning popup windows appears with
> the
> > following message:
> >
> > "WARNING! The drive Maxtor 6Y120MO, 122.9 GB [S/N: Y31XRT1E] indicated a
> > S.M.A.R.T error condition. Immediately back-up your data and replace
this
> > hard drive!
> > A failure may be imminent"
> >

> How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to understand
> it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?

not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item which
causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
"Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
according to active smart.

>In the status window of the programme the item "Reallocated Sector Count"
is
>red

>Threshold 63
>Value 3
>Worst 3
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 31, 2004 5:28:20 PM

Mr Anderson wrote:

> "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
> messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
>> "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message
>> > I have downloaded and installed the trial version of "Active Smart
>> > 2.41"
>> >
>> > (http://www.ariolic.com).
>> >
>> > As soon as I started the programme a warning popup windows appears with
>> the
>> > following message:
>> >
>> > "WARNING! The drive Maxtor 6Y120MO, 122.9 GB [S/N: Y31XRT1E] indicated
>> > a S.M.A.R.T error condition. Immediately back-up your data and replace
> this
>> > hard drive!
>> > A failure may be imminent"
>> >

>> How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to
>> understand it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?
>>

> not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
> which causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
> "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
> according to active smart.

Every time the disk detects a bad sector it at the first opportunity maps it
to a spare--this is called "reallocation". As to what "reallocated sector
count" means to your program, I have no idea--it appears that the program
reports things backwards from the way common sense would have it, so that a
low number is bad and a high one is good. Apparently it does some kind of
weird calculation on the real number to get one that makes no sense at all.
One of these days somebody needs to line up all the technicians in the
world, bore holes in their heads, and pour in a few pints of common sense,
but I suspect that Satan will be seen in LL. Bean shopping for warm clothes
before that happens.

>>In the status window of the programme the item "Reallocated Sector Count"
> is
>>red
>
>>Threshold 63
>>Value 3
>>Worst 3

Well, given that 100 is perfect and when the count however calculated gets
down to 63 that's bad and it's being reported as 3 I'd say that that's
_real_ bad.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Previously Mr Anderson <anderson@despammed.com> wrote:

> "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
> messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
>> "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message
>> > I have downloaded and installed the trial version of "Active Smart 2.41"
>> >
>> > (http://www.ariolic.com).
>> >
>> > As soon as I started the programme a warning popup windows appears with
>> the
>> > following message:
>> >
>> > "WARNING! The drive Maxtor 6Y120MO, 122.9 GB [S/N: Y31XRT1E] indicated a
>> > S.M.A.R.T error condition. Immediately back-up your data and replace
> this
>> > hard drive!
>> > A failure may be imminent"
>> >

>> How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to understand
>> it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?
>>

> not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item which
> causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
> "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
> according to active smart.

It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
warning literally and back-up now.

Arno
a b G Storage
July 31, 2004 6:56:13 PM

"Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Mr Anderson wrote:
> > "terry_b17" <terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> ha scritto nel
> > messaggio news:410b8b95_6@news.athenanews.com...
> >
> >>hi ,
> >> i would download and run maxtors diagnostic utility to verify the
> >>condition of the drive . i would back up asap if it gives any
> >>indication of problem .
> >>hope this helps ,
> >>terry
> >>

> > thanks for your answer but on maxtor's site I couldn't find any di
> > diagnostic utility save for powermax that runs under dos and I have
winXp

> Powermax runs from a bootable floppy. You *did* read the instructions,
> right?!
>

> -WD

I know that, but power max tells me "cannot find dos. Press any key to
continue" and when you press any key your pc is rebootted (<---did I write
this last word correctly?)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 31, 2004 6:56:14 PM

> > Powermax runs from a bootable floppy. You *did* read the instructions,
> > right?!
>
> I know that, but power max tells me "cannot find dos. Press any key to
> continue" and when you press any key your pc is rebootted (<---did I write
> this last word correctly?)

I suspect you copied it to a bad floppy. Try another. You need to use to
authorize return. It will also tell you if there are uncorrectable bad
sectors.

I would burn all your personal files to CD-R immediately.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 31, 2004 7:45:14 PM

"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Mr Anderson wrote:
>

> > "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
> > messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
> >> "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message

> >> the

> > this
> >> >

> >> How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to
> >> understand it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?
> >>

> > not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
> > which causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
> > "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
> > according to active smart.
>
> Every time the disk detects a bad sector it at the first opportunity maps
it
> to a spare--this is called "reallocation". As to what "reallocated sector
> count" means to your program, I have no idea--it appears that the program
> reports things backwards from the way common sense would have it, so that
> low number is bad and a high one is good. Apparently it does some kind of
> weird calculation on the real number to get one that makes no sense at
all.
> One of these days somebody needs to line up all the technicians in the
> world, bore holes in their heads, and pour in a few pints of common sense,
> but I suspect that Satan will be seen in LL. Bean shopping for warm
clothes
> before that happens.
>
> >>In the status window of the programme the item "Reallocated Sector
Count"
> > is
> >>red
> >
> >>Threshold 63
> >>Value 3
> >>Worst 3
>
> Well, given that 100 is perfect and when the count however calculated gets
> down to 63 that's bad and it's being reported as 3 I'd say that that's
> _real_ bad.
>
> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

I cannnot understand the whole sense of your answer (I'm italian) but I
think you advise me not to worry, don't you?
However I am scared by Arno Wagner's answer

>It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
>barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
>warning literally and back-up now

I am really confused!! What should I do????
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 31, 2004 7:45:15 PM

Mr Anderson wrote:

>>It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
>>barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
>>warning literally and back-up now
>

> I am really confused!! What should I do????

Back up your data and replace the drive NOW.

-WD
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 31, 2004 7:45:15 PM

Mr Anderson wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Mr Anderson wrote:
>>

>> > "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
>> > messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...

> with

> indicated
> replace
>> > this

>> > not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
>> > which causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand
>> > what "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in
>> > danger according to active smart.
>>
>> Every time the disk detects a bad sector it at the first opportunity maps
> it
>> to a spare--this is called "reallocation". As to what "reallocated
>> sector count" means to your program, I have no idea--it appears that the
>> program reports things backwards from the way common sense would have it,
>> so that
>> low number is bad and a high one is good. Apparently it does some kind
>> of weird calculation on the real number to get one that makes no sense at
> all.
>> One of these days somebody needs to line up all the technicians in the
>> world, bore holes in their heads, and pour in a few pints of common
>> sense, but I suspect that Satan will be seen in LL. Bean shopping for
>> warm
> clothes
>> before that happens.

> Count"
>> > is

>> Well, given that 100 is perfect and when the count however calculated
>> gets down to 63 that's bad and it's being reported as 3 I'd say that
>> that's _real_ bad.
>>
>> --
>> --John
>> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
>> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
>
> I cannnot understand the whole sense of your answer (I'm italian) but I
> think you advise me not to worry, don't you?
> However I am scared by Arno Wagner's answer

No. Be scared. Arno's right. The way the counter seems to work a disk
with no reallocated sectors would show "100", a disk with all available
sparing used up would be a "0", with a warning issued when the counter,
however calculated, decreases from 100 to 63. On your disk, it has gone
past 63, all the way down to 3, which is exceedingly bad.

>>It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
>>barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
>>warning literally and back-up now
>
> I am really confused!! What should I do????

Assume that your disk is dead--save what you can.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 31, 2004 7:47:51 PM

"Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Previously Mr Anderson <anderson@despammed.com> wrote:
>
> > "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
> > messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
> >> "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message

> >> the

> > this
> >> >

> >> How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to
understand
> >> it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?
> >>

> > not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
which
> > causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
> > "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
> > according to active smart.
>
> It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
> barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
> warning literally and back-up now.

ok, back-up and then? Drop my hd in the rubbish?
July 31, 2004 8:30:02 PM

Mr Anderson wrote:

> I have downloaded and installed the trial version of "Active Smart 2.41"
>
> (http://www.ariolic.com).
>
> As soon as I started the programme a warning popup windows appears with the
> following message:
>
> "WARNING! The drive Maxtor 6Y120MO, 122.9 GB [S/N: Y31XRT1E] indicated a
> S.M.A.R.T error condition. Immediately back-up your data and replace this
> hard drive!
> A failure may be imminent"
>
> In the status window of the programme the item "Reallocated Sector Count" is
> red
>
> Threshold 63
> Value 3
> Worst 3
>
> What does it mean? Is really my hard drive about to crash??
>
> Thanks for your time

Back it up NOW if you value your information.

Then, if you insist, tinker with it to your heart's content.

July 31, 2004 8:32:57 PM

Mr Anderson wrote:

> "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>>Previously Mr Anderson <anderson@despammed.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
>>>messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...

> 2.41"

> with

> indicated a

>>>this

> understand

>>>not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
>
> which
>
>>>causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
>>>"Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
>>>according to active smart.
>>
>>It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
>>barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
>>warning literally and back-up now.
>>

> ok, back-up and then? Drop my hd in the rubbish?

probably

they don't last forever

July 31, 2004 8:39:08 PM

J. Clarke wrote:

> Mr Anderson wrote:
>

>>"Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
>>messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
>>
>>>"Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message

>>>the

>>this

>>>How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to
>>>understand it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?
>>>

>>not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
>>which causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
>>"Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
>>according to active smart.
>

> Every time the disk detects a bad sector it at the first opportunity maps it
> to a spare--this is called "reallocation". As to what "reallocated sector
> count" means to your program, I have no idea--it appears that the program
> reports things backwards from the way common sense would have it, so that a
> low number is bad and a high one is good. Apparently it does some kind of
> weird calculation on the real number to get one that makes no sense at all.
> One of these days somebody needs to line up all the technicians in the
> world, bore holes in their heads, and pour in a few pints of common sense,
> but I suspect that Satan will be seen in LL. Bean shopping for warm clothes
> before that happens.

I think the folks who came up with S.M.A.R.T. decided they wanted all
the measures to be "good" at high numbers (most of them start at 100,
I think) and decline from there with declining prospects for the drive.
I don't know precisely what "reallocated sector count" means physically,
but I suspect it's something like the number of sectors which can still
be reallocated before failure.

At any rate, I'd listen to what they're saying. An ounce of prevention
is worth a pound of cure.

>>>In the status window of the programme the item "Reallocated Sector Count"
>>
>>is
>>
>>>red
>>
>>>Threshold 63
>>>Value 3
>>>Worst 3
>

> Well, given that 100 is perfect and when the count however calculated gets
> down to 63 that's bad and it's being reported as 3 I'd say that that's
> _real_ bad.

a b G Storage
July 31, 2004 8:56:38 PM

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 15:45:14 GMT, Mr Anderson <anderson@despammed.com> wrote:
>I am really confused!! What should I do????

If you are really this confused over such a simple and straightforward
matter, I would humbly suggest that you ditch the computer and get a
typewriter.

--
Roger Blake
(Subtract 10 for email.)

Previously Mr Anderson <anderson@despammed.com> wrote:

> "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Previously Mr Anderson <anderson@despammed.com> wrote:
>>
>> > "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
>> > messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
> 2.41"

> with

> indicated a
>> > this

> understand
>> >>

>> > not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
> which
>> > causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
>> > "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
>> > according to active smart.
>>
>> It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
>> barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
>> warning literally and back-up now.
>>

> ok, back-up and then? Drop my hd in the rubbish?

Yes, I would say so. Maybe check the warranty status before.

Arno

a b G Storage
July 31, 2004 10:13:29 PM

> Mr Anderson wrote:
>

> > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

> > with

> > indicated
> > replace

> >> Every time the disk detects a bad sector it at the first opportunity
maps
> > it
> >> to a spare--this is called "reallocation". As to what "reallocated
> >> sector count" means to your program, I have no idea--it appears that
the
> >> program reports things backwards from the way common sense would have
it,
> >> so that
> >> low number is bad and a high one is good. Apparently it does some kind
> >> of weird calculation on the real number to get one that makes no sense
at
> > all.
> >> One of these days somebody needs to line up all the technicians in the
> >> world, bore holes in their heads, and pour in a few pints of common
> >> sense, but I suspect that Satan will be seen in LL. Bean shopping for
> >> warm
> > clothes
> >> before that happens.

> > Count"

> >> Well, given that 100 is perfect and when the count however calculated
> >> gets down to 63 that's bad and it's being reported as 3 I'd say that
> >> that's _real_ bad.
> >>
> >> --
> >> --John
> >> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> >> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
> >
> > I cannnot understand the whole sense of your answer (I'm italian) but I
> > think you advise me not to worry, don't you?
> > However I am scared by Arno Wagner's answer
>
> No. Be scared. Arno's right. The way the counter seems to work a disk
> with no reallocated sectors would show "100", a disk with all available
> sparing used up would be a "0", with a warning issued when the counter,
> however calculated, decreases from 100 to 63. On your disk, it has gone
> past 63, all the way down to 3, which is exceedingly bad.
>
> >>It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
> >>barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
> >>warning literally and back-up now
> >
> > I am really confused!! What should I do????
>
> Assume that your disk is dead--save what you can.

With a low-level format can the problem be solved?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 31, 2004 10:13:30 PM

Mr Anderson wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
>

>>Assume that your disk is dead--save what you can.
>>

> With a low-level format can the problem be solved?

You're not even listening, are you?

-WD
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 31, 2004 10:13:30 PM

Mr Anderson wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Mr Anderson wrote:
>>

>> > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

>> > with

>> > indicated
>> > replace

> maps
>> > it
> the
> it,
> at
>> > all.
>> > clothes

>> > Count"

>> > I cannnot understand the whole sense of your answer (I'm italian) but I
>> > think you advise me not to worry, don't you?
>> > However I am scared by Arno Wagner's answer
>>
>> No. Be scared. Arno's right. The way the counter seems to work a disk
>> with no reallocated sectors would show "100", a disk with all available
>> sparing used up would be a "0", with a warning issued when the counter,
>> however calculated, decreases from 100 to 63. On your disk, it has gone
>> past 63, all the way down to 3, which is exceedingly bad.

>> > I am really confused!! What should I do????
>>
>> Assume that your disk is dead--save what you can.
>>
> With a low-level format can the problem be solved?

What part of "broken" are you having trouble with? Remember what Scipio
Africanus did to Carthage? Well something like that is happening to your
drive.
--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
July 31, 2004 10:15:29 PM

> "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
> messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
> > "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message
> > > I have downloaded and installed the trial version of "Active Smart
2.41"

> > > (http://www.ariolic.com).
> > >
> > > As soon as I started the programme a warning popup windows appears
with
> > the
> > > following message:
> > >
> > > "WARNING! The drive Maxtor 6Y120MO, 122.9 GB [S/N: Y31XRT1E] indicated
> > > S.M.A.R.T error condition. Immediately back-up your data and replace
> this
> > > hard drive!
> > > A failure may be imminent"
> > >

> > How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to
understand
> > it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?
> >

> not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
which
> causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
> "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
> according to active smart.
>
> >In the status window of the programme the item "Reallocated Sector Count"
> is
> >red
>
> >Threshold 63
> >Value 3
> >Worst 3

Why use a SMART tool if you don't understand SMART. Also, I can't imagine
that the tool you're using doesn'et explain it's warnings in the help files.

--
Joep
Anonymous

"Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:52ffd$410bc705$3eddca68$19008@nf1.news-service-com...
> "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
> > messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
> > > "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message
> 2.41"

> with
> > > the

> > this
> > > >

> > > How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to
> understand
> > > it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?
> > >

> > not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
> which
> > causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
> > "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
> > according to active smart.
> >
> > >In the status window of the programme the item "Reallocated Sector
Count"
> > is
> > >red
> >
> > >Threshold 63
> > >Value 3
> > >Worst 3
> >

> Why use a SMART tool if you don't understand SMART. Also, I can't imagine
> that the tool you're using doesn'et explain it's warnings in the help
files.

> --
> Joep

You're right!
July 31, 2004 10:18:30 PM

> > -WD
>
> I know that, but power max tells me "cannot find dos. Press any key to
> continue" and when you press any key your pc is rebootted (<---did I write
> this last word correctly?)

It's useless anyway, the SMART threshold is exceeded. The manufacturer set
the threshold for this attribute at 63, so whenever this value gets worse
the maufacturer decided that something had to be seriously wrong. Assuming
it started counting down from 100 you're way below threshold. The whole
meaning of SMART is to warn BEFORE the disaster happens, so you have time to
backup your data.

--
Joep
Anonymous

> Mr Anderson wrote:
>
> > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
> >

> >>Assume that your disk is dead--save what you can.
> >>

> > With a low-level format can the problem be solved?
>

> You're not even listening, are you?

Sorry but a new sata hard drive costs 100 euros.....I am buying a maxtor
hard disk...They say maxtor's hard drive are the best....do you agree?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 31, 2004 10:31:32 PM

Mr Anderson wrote:

> Sorry but a new sata hard drive costs 100 euros.....I am buying a maxtor
> hard disk...They say maxtor's hard drive are the best....do you agree?

Who are "they" ?
Personally, I'd never buy a maxtor again. But that's just me.

-WD
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 31, 2004 10:33:42 PM

"Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Mr Anderson wrote:
>
> > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
> >

> >>Assume that your disk is dead--save what you can.
> >>

> > With a low-level format can the problem be solved?
>

> You're not even listening, are you?

one more question: what can have caused this problem? I am used to execute
windowsXP's defrag utility very often....can this have caused such a big
problem?

THANKS YOU ALL!!!!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 31, 2004 10:33:43 PM

Mr Anderson wrote:

> one more question: what can have caused this problem? I am used to execute
> windowsXP's defrag utility very often....can this have caused such a big
> problem?

Excessive heat, faulty power supply, manufacturing defect.
You should be able to check temp in the SMART data. Should be under 45C

-WD
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 31, 2004 10:33:43 PM

Mr Anderson wrote:

> "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Mr Anderson wrote:
>>
>> > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

>> > With a low-level format can the problem be solved?
>>

>> You're not even listening, are you?
>>

> one more question: what can have caused this problem? I am used to execute
> windowsXP's defrag utility very often....can this have caused such a big
> problem?

Inadequate cooling, a marginal or defective power supply, or you may have
just gotten a bad drive--nobody's perfect--one slips through now and then.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
August 1, 2004 12:41:10 AM

Mr Anderson wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>>Mr Anderson wrote:
>>

>>>"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

>>>with

>>>indicated

>>>replace

> maps
>
>>>it

> the

> it,

> at
>
>>>all.

>>>clothes

>>>Count"

>>>I cannnot understand the whole sense of your answer (I'm italian) but I
>>>think you advise me not to worry, don't you?
>>>However I am scared by Arno Wagner's answer
>>
>>No. Be scared. Arno's right. The way the counter seems to work a disk
>>with no reallocated sectors would show "100", a disk with all available
>>sparing used up would be a "0", with a warning issued when the counter,
>>however calculated, decreases from 100 to 63. On your disk, it has gone
>>past 63, all the way down to 3, which is exceedingly bad.

>>>I am really confused!! What should I do????
>>
>>Assume that your disk is dead--save what you can.
>>

> With a low-level format can the problem be solved?

I wouldn't take the risk unless this is just a play machine that you
don't use for anything important.

August 1, 2004 12:44:11 AM

Mr Anderson wrote:

> "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>>Mr Anderson wrote:
>>

>>>"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

>>>With a low-level format can the problem be solved?
>>

>>You're not even listening, are you?
>>

> Sorry but a new sata hard drive costs 100 euros.....I am buying a maxtor
> hard disk...They say maxtor's hard drive are the best....do you agree?

100 euros is probably cheap compared to losing all your files.

Maxtor drives work fine for me. So do Western Digital and Seagate.

August 1, 2004 12:48:01 AM

Will Dormann wrote:

> Mr Anderson wrote:
>
>> one more question: what can have caused this problem? I am used to
>> execute
>> windowsXP's defrag utility very often....can this have caused such a big
>> problem?
>

> Excessive heat, faulty power supply, manufacturing defect.
> You should be able to check temp in the SMART data. Should be under 45C
>

> -WD

some others -
bad cabling, bad mains power, powering it down when not quiescent

but most likely excessive temp or faulty power supply

a b G Storage
August 1, 2004 2:12:04 AM

J. Clarke wrote:

> Mr Anderson wrote:
>

>>"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

>>maps

>>the

>>it,

>>at

>>>No. Be scared. Arno's right. The way the counter seems to work a disk
>>>with no reallocated sectors would show "100", a disk with all available
>>>sparing used up would be a "0", with a warning issued when the counter,
>>>however calculated, decreases from 100 to 63. On your disk, it has gone
>>>past 63, all the way down to 3, which is exceedingly bad.

>>>Assume that your disk is dead--save what you can.
>>>

>>With a low-level format can the problem be solved?
>

> What part of "broken" are you having trouble with? Remember what Scipio
> Africanus did to Carthage? Well something like that is happening to your
> drive.

Everyone is having a field day with Mr. Anderson's skepticism of the
warning message. Go easy on him. Sometimes Windows gives a "Fatal
Exception Occurred" message, but in reality, nobody has died.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 1, 2004 2:12:05 AM

Shailesh Humbad wrote:

> J. Clarke wrote:
>
>> Mr Anderson wrote:
>>

>>>"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

>>>maps

>>>the

>>>it,

>>>at

>>>With a low-level format can the problem be solved?
>>

>> What part of "broken" are you having trouble with? Remember what Scipio
>> Africanus did to Carthage? Well something like that is happening to your
>> drive.
>
> Everyone is having a field day with Mr. Anderson's skepticism of the
> warning message. Go easy on him. Sometimes Windows gives a "Fatal
> Exception Occurred" message, but in reality, nobody has died.

The problem doesn't seem to be "his skepticism of the warning message", it
seems to be that his English (he admits that he is not a native speaker of
English and that he's having problems with it) doesn't seem to be up to the
task of following the discussion. So I gave him an example that any
Italian schoolboy should be able to follow.

When a drive has used up all its sparing, then it's got a serious problem.
That's the bottom line and continuing to dink with it is just going to
result in data loss.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 1, 2004 2:57:16 AM

Mr Anderson wrote:

> "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
> > Mr Anderson wrote:
> >
> > > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

> > > With a low-level format can the problem be solved?
> >

> > You're not even listening, are you?
> >

> one more question: what can have caused this problem? I am used to execute
> windowsXP's defrag utility very often....can this have caused such a big
> problem?
>
> THANKS YOU ALL!!!!

I know less than most of the people here and do not say that any of
them are wrong but I have one comment. If you get several people
saying "disaster," then do what they say and back it up. However, it
is a computer, and computer are uncommonly stupid and the message they
send to you often has nothing do to with what is happening. The
software code could be corrupted for any number of reasons and there
may be nothing wrong with your hard disk, or there might be. So, back
it up, then delete and and reinstall what ever code you loaded just
before it started saying the disk was bad and make sure you are doing
everything correctly. Virus checkers can corrupt code so be sure all
of that stuff is off when you install anything.

I had a problem with a hard disk, explained it, and the messages
received and most everyone said that the hard drive was going bad, or
just as likely the power supply was. I had already backed up my date,
so for the second time i went through the case unplugging and plugging
in every connection possibly related to the hard drive. No more
messages, no more noise, no more problem because the first time I
checked connection I probably missed one.

Good Luck.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 1, 2004 2:57:17 AM

George E. Cawthon wrote:

> Mr Anderson wrote:
>>
>> "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

>> > You're not even listening, are you?
>> >

>> one more question: what can have caused this problem? I am used to
>> execute windowsXP's defrag utility very often....can this have caused
>> such a big problem?
>>
>> THANKS YOU ALL!!!!
>
> I know less than most of the people here and do not say that any of
> them are wrong but I have one comment. If you get several people
> saying "disaster," then do what they say and back it up. However, it
> is a computer, and computer are uncommonly stupid and the message they
> send to you often has nothing do to with what is happening. The
> software code could be corrupted for any number of reasons and there
> may be nothing wrong with your hard disk, or there might be. So, back
> it up, then delete and and reinstall what ever code you loaded just
> before it started saying the disk was bad and make sure you are doing
> everything correctly. Virus checkers can corrupt code so be sure all
> of that stuff is off when you install anything.
>
> I had a problem with a hard disk, explained it, and the messages
> received and most everyone said that the hard drive was going bad, or
> just as likely the power supply was. I had already backed up my date,
> so for the second time i went through the case unplugging and plugging
> in every connection possibly related to the hard drive. No more
> messages, no more noise, no more problem because the first time I
> checked connection I probably missed one.

In his case though the message is unambiguous--the drive has used up most of
its sparing.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 1, 2004 3:57:05 AM

"Shailesh Humbad" <noreply@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> Sometimes Windows gives a "Fatal
> Exception Occurred" message, but in reality, nobody has died.

Overheard in a circus:

"Granpa, they said it's a deadly stunt, but nobody's died... Granpa?
Granpa?!"
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 1, 2004 10:29:43 AM

"J. Clarke" wrote:

> George E. Cawthon wrote:
>

> > Mr Anderson wrote:
> >>
> >> "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

> >> one more question: what can have caused this problem? I am used to
> >> execute windowsXP's defrag utility very often....can this have caused
> >> such a big problem?
> >>
> >> THANKS YOU ALL!!!!
> >
> > I know less than most of the people here and do not say that any of
> > them are wrong but I have one comment. If you get several people
> > saying "disaster," then do what they say and back it up. However, it
> > is a computer, and computer are uncommonly stupid and the message they
> > send to you often has nothing do to with what is happening. The
> > software code could be corrupted for any number of reasons and there
> > may be nothing wrong with your hard disk, or there might be. So, back
> > it up, then delete and and reinstall what ever code you loaded just
> > before it started saying the disk was bad and make sure you are doing
> > everything correctly. Virus checkers can corrupt code so be sure all
> > of that stuff is off when you install anything.
> >
> > I had a problem with a hard disk, explained it, and the messages
> > received and most everyone said that the hard drive was going bad, or
> > just as likely the power supply was. I had already backed up my date,
> > so for the second time i went through the case unplugging and plugging
> > in every connection possibly related to the hard drive. No more
> > messages, no more noise, no more problem because the first time I
> > checked connection I probably missed one.
>
> In his case though the message is unambiguous--the drive has used up most of
> its sparing.
>
> > Good Luck.
>
> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Hey, I've got very unambigous messages many times from my operating
system that I know cannot possibly be true. Still suffering the
occassional modem message that there is a call waiting, but I don't
have call waiting and there is no possibilty that the modem could know
whether or not there is a call to my number. There are a few others
messages that pop up from time to time that also cannot possibly be
true.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 1, 2004 10:29:44 AM

George E. Cawthon wrote:

> "J. Clarke" wrote:
>>
>> George E. Cawthon wrote:

>> > I know less than most of the people here and do not say that any of
>> > them are wrong but I have one comment. If you get several people
>> > saying "disaster," then do what they say and back it up. However, it
>> > is a computer, and computer are uncommonly stupid and the message they
>> > send to you often has nothing do to with what is happening. The
>> > software code could be corrupted for any number of reasons and there
>> > may be nothing wrong with your hard disk, or there might be. So, back
>> > it up, then delete and and reinstall what ever code you loaded just
>> > before it started saying the disk was bad and make sure you are doing
>> > everything correctly. Virus checkers can corrupt code so be sure all
>> > of that stuff is off when you install anything.
>> >
>> > I had a problem with a hard disk, explained it, and the messages
>> > received and most everyone said that the hard drive was going bad, or
>> > just as likely the power supply was. I had already backed up my date,
>> > so for the second time i went through the case unplugging and plugging
>> > in every connection possibly related to the hard drive. No more
>> > messages, no more noise, no more problem because the first time I
>> > checked connection I probably missed one.
>>
>> In his case though the message is unambiguous--the drive has used up most
>> of its sparing.
>>
>> > Good Luck.
>>
>> --
>> --John
>> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
>> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
>
> Hey, I've got very unambigous messages many times from my operating
> system that I know cannot possibly be true.

So what? This is not a message from the operating system. Do you have an
alternative explanation for a disk drive reporting when queried that it has
used up all of its sparing?

> Still suffering the
> occassional modem message that there is a call waiting, but I don't
> have call waiting and there is no possibilty that the modem could know
> whether or not there is a call to my number. There are a few others
> messages that pop up from time to time that also cannot possibly be
> true.

So what? Again this is not an operating system message. Are you saying
that the drive is deluded about how many sectors it has reallocated?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 1, 2004 12:06:14 PM

> The problem doesn't seem to be "his skepticism of the warning message",
it
> seems to be that his English (he admits that he is not a native speaker of
> English and that he's having problems with it) doesn't seem to be up to
the
> task of following the discussion. So I gave him an example that any
> Italian schoolboy should be able to follow.
>
> When a drive has used up all its sparing, then it's got a serious problem.
> That's the bottom line and continuing to dink with it is just going to
> result in data loss.
>
> --
As I have understood I cannot create new sparings in any way, right?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 1, 2004 12:13:11 PM

> > With a low-level format can the problem be solved?
> >

> I wouldn't take the risk unless this is just a play machine that you
> don't use for anything important.

I swear you, I have no games installed on my pc! Is a low-level format so
risky? I know it is just a very deep format.....
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 1, 2004 12:17:13 PM

> I would burn all your personal files to CD-R immediately.

I have already done that...
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 1, 2004 8:29:18 PM

"terry_b17" <terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:410b8b95_6@news.athenanews.com...
> hi ,
> i would download and run maxtors diagnostic utility to verify the
> condition of the drive . i would back up asap if it gives any
> indication of problem .
> hope this helps ,
> terry

I have executed all possible tests and my hard disk passed them all with no
remarks
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 1, 2004 8:42:54 PM

When you talk on the phone, and another caller is trying to reach you, you
can hear "beep" in the line, and if you press "Flash", you can switch to
that line.

During data connection, the modem also monitors the line for that "beep" and
if it's detected, the host software tells you that there is a call waiting.
This is how "there is a possibility that the modem could know whether or not
there is a call to my number". V.92 protocol allows you to temporarily
disconnect data connection (without losing PPP session and IP address), pick
up the voice call, and after you voice call is completed, switch back to the
data connection.

"George E. Cawthon" <GeorgeC-Boise@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> Hey, I've got very unambigous messages many times from my operating
> system that I know cannot possibly be true. Still suffering the
> occassional modem message that there is a call waiting, but I don't
> have call waiting and there is no possibilty that the modem could know
> whether or not there is a call to my number. There are a few others
> messages that pop up from time to time that also cannot possibly be
> true.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 1, 2004 8:42:55 PM

Alexander Grigoriev wrote:

> When you talk on the phone, and another caller is trying to reach you, you
> can hear "beep" in the line, and if you press "Flash", you can switch to
> that line.

That is called "call waiting" and it is an extra-cost service in most areas.
He said that he does not have call waiting and so this would not occur.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
August 2, 2004 12:10:37 AM

Mr Anderson wrote:

>>>With a low-level format can the problem be solved?
>>>

>>I wouldn't take the risk unless this is just a play machine that you
>>don't use for anything important.
>>

> I swear you, I have no games installed on my pc! Is a low-level format so
> risky? I know it is just a very deep format.....

I don't think recent IDE drives allow a low-level format as that term
was used in the past. A regular Windows format won't have any effect,
AFAIK, since the S.M.A.R.T. status is being generated at the drive
level.

I see in another post that you've backed up your files. Given that,
try whatever you like, and if you achieve any results that contradict
what you've heard here, be sure to let us know.

Personally, I think you'll be disappointed, and find that the best
course is to replace the drive (perhaps via a warranty claim).

a b G Storage
August 2, 2004 3:03:52 AM

Mr Anderson wrote:

>> The problem doesn't seem to be "his skepticism of the warning message",
> it
>> seems to be that his English (he admits that he is not a native speaker
>> of English and that he's having problems with it) doesn't seem to be up
> the
>> task of following the discussion. So I gave him an example that any
>> Italian schoolboy should be able to follow.
>>
>> When a drive has used up all its sparing, then it's got a serious
>> problem. That's the bottom line and continuing to dink with it is just
>> going to result in data loss.
>>
>> --
> As I have understood I cannot create new sparings in any way, right?

That is correct.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 2, 2004 3:22:22 AM

"J. Clarke" wrote:

> George E. Cawthon wrote:

> >> In his case though the message is unambiguous--the drive has used up most
> >> of its sparing.

> >> --
> >> --John
> >> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> >> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
> >
> > Hey, I've got very unambigous messages many times from my operating
> > system that I know cannot possibly be true.
>
> So what? This is not a message from the operating system. Do you have an
> alternative explanation for a disk drive reporting when queried that it has
> used up all of its sparing?
>
> > Still suffering the
> > occassional modem message that there is a call waiting, but I don't
> > have call waiting and there is no possibilty that the modem could know
> > whether or not there is a call to my number. There are a few others
> > messages that pop up from time to time that also cannot possibly be
> > true.
>
> So what? Again this is not an operating system message. Are you saying
> that the drive is deluded about how many sectors it has reallocated?
>
> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

You are saying that there is no possiblity that he could receive the
message that he did unless the hard drive was as stated? No virus
could influence receiving this message, no code fault could result in
receiving this message?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 2, 2004 3:22:23 AM

George E. Cawthon wrote:

> "J. Clarke" wrote:
>>
>> George E. Cawthon wrote:

>> > Hey, I've got very unambigous messages many times from my operating
>> > system that I know cannot possibly be true.
>>
>> So what? This is not a message from the operating system. Do you have
>> an alternative explanation for a disk drive reporting when queried that
>> it has used up all of its sparing?
>>
>> > Still suffering the
>> > occassional modem message that there is a call waiting, but I don't
>> > have call waiting and there is no possibilty that the modem could know
>> > whether or not there is a call to my number. There are a few others
>> > messages that pop up from time to time that also cannot possibly be
>> > true.
>>
>> So what? Again this is not an operating system message. Are you saying
>> that the drive is deluded about how many sectors it has reallocated?
>>
>> --
>> --John
>> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
>> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
>
> You are saying that there is no possiblity that he could receive the
> message that he did unless the hard drive was as stated? No virus
> could influence receiving this message, no code fault could result in
> receiving this message?

I am saying that that possibility is exceedingly remote while the
probability that his drive is going to use up the rest of its sparing is
exceedingly high.

Why is it so important to you that he ignore a warning message?

--
!