Is my hard disk in danger?

I have downloaded and installed the trial version of "Active Smart 2.41"

(http://www.ariolic.com).

As soon as I started the programme a warning popup windows appears with the
following message:

"WARNING! The drive Maxtor 6Y120MO, 122.9 GB indicated a
S.M.A.R.T error condition. Immediately back-up your data and replace this
hard drive!
A failure may be imminent"

In the status window of the programme the item "Reallocated Sector Count" is
red

Threshold 63
Value 3
Worst 3

What does it mean? Is really my hard drive about to crash??

Thanks for your time
81 answers Last reply
More about hard disk danger

    hi ,
    i would download and run maxtors diagnostic utility to verify the
    condition of the drive . i would back up asap if it gives any
    indication of problem .
    hope this helps ,
    terry

    ==============

    "terry_b17" <terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> ha scritto nel
    messaggio news:410b8b95_6@news.athenanews.com...
    > hi ,
    > i would download and run maxtors diagnostic utility to verify the
    > condition of the drive . i would back up asap if it gives any
    > indication of problem .
    > hope this helps ,
    > terry

    thanks for your answer but on maxtor's site I couldn't find any di
    diagnostic utility save for powermax that runs under dos and I have winXp

    > ==============
    troubleshooting newsgroups.

    Mr Anderson wrote:
    > "terry_b17" <terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> ha scritto nel
    > messaggio news:410b8b95_6@news.athenanews.com...
    >
    >>hi ,
    >> i would download and run maxtors diagnostic utility to verify the
    >>condition of the drive . i would back up asap if it gives any
    >>indication of problem .
    >>hope this helps ,
    >>terry
    >>

    > thanks for your answer but on maxtor's site I couldn't find any di
    > diagnostic utility save for powermax that runs under dos and I have winXp

    Powermax runs from a bootable floppy. You *did* read the instructions,
    right?!

    -WD

    "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message
    > I have downloaded and installed the trial version of "Active Smart 2.41"
    >
    > (http://www.ariolic.com).
    >
    > As soon as I started the programme a warning popup windows appears with
    the
    > following message:
    >
    > "WARNING! The drive Maxtor 6Y120MO, 122.9 GB indicated a
    > S.M.A.R.T error condition. Immediately back-up your data and replace this
    > hard drive!
    > A failure may be imminent"

    How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to understand
    it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?

    --
    Joep

    "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
    messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
    > "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message
    > > I have downloaded and installed the trial version of "Active Smart 2.41"
    > >
    > > (http://www.ariolic.com).
    > >
    > > As soon as I started the programme a warning popup windows appears with
    > the
    > > following message:
    > >
    > > "WARNING! The drive Maxtor 6Y120MO, 122.9 GB indicated a
    > > S.M.A.R.T error condition. Immediately back-up your data and replace
    this
    > > hard drive!
    > > A failure may be imminent"
    > >

    > How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to understand
    > it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?

    not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item which
    causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
    "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
    according to active smart.

    Mr Anderson wrote:

    > "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
    > messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
    >> "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message
    >> > I have downloaded and installed the trial version of "Active Smart
    >> > 2.41"
    >> >
    >> > (http://www.ariolic.com).
    >> >
    >> > As soon as I started the programme a warning popup windows appears with
    >> the
    >> > following message:
    >> >
    >> > "WARNING! The drive Maxtor 6Y120MO, 122.9 GB indicated
    >> > a S.M.A.R.T error condition. Immediately back-up your data and replace
    > this
    >> > hard drive!
    >> > A failure may be imminent"
    >> >

    >> How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to
    >> understand it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?
    >>

    > not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
    > which causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
    > "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
    > according to active smart.

    Every time the disk detects a bad sector it at the first opportunity maps it
    to a spare--this is called "reallocation". As to what "reallocated sector
    count" means to your program, I have no idea--it appears that the program
    reports things backwards from the way common sense would have it, so that a
    low number is bad and a high one is good. Apparently it does some kind of
    weird calculation on the real number to get one that makes no sense at all.
    One of these days somebody needs to line up all the technicians in the
    world, bore holes in their heads, and pour in a few pints of common sense,
    but I suspect that Satan will be seen in LL. Bean shopping for warm clothes
    before that happens.

    >>In the status window of the programme the item "Reallocated Sector Count"
    > is
    >>red
    >
    >>Threshold 63
    >>Value 3
    >>Worst 3

    Well, given that 100 is perfect and when the count however calculated gets
    down to 63 that's bad and it's being reported as 3 I'd say that that's
    _real_ bad.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Previously Mr Anderson <anderson@despammed.com> wrote:

    > "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
    > messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
    >> "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message
    >> > I have downloaded and installed the trial version of "Active Smart 2.41"
    >> >
    >> > (http://www.ariolic.com).
    >> >
    >> > As soon as I started the programme a warning popup windows appears with
    >> the
    >> > following message:
    >> >
    >> > "WARNING! The drive Maxtor 6Y120MO, 122.9 GB indicated a
    >> > S.M.A.R.T error condition. Immediately back-up your data and replace
    > this
    >> > hard drive!
    >> > A failure may be imminent"
    >> >

    >> How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to understand
    >> it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?
    >>

    > not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item which
    > causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
    > "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
    > according to active smart.

    It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
    barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
    warning literally and back-up now.

    Arno

    "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Mr Anderson wrote:
    > > "terry_b17" <terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> ha scritto nel
    > > messaggio news:410b8b95_6@news.athenanews.com...
    > >
    > >>hi ,
    > >> i would download and run maxtors diagnostic utility to verify the
    > >>condition of the drive . i would back up asap if it gives any
    > >>indication of problem .
    > >>hope this helps ,
    > >>terry
    > >>

    > > thanks for your answer but on maxtor's site I couldn't find any di
    > > diagnostic utility save for powermax that runs under dos and I have
    winXp

    > Powermax runs from a bootable floppy. You *did* read the instructions,
    > right?!
    >

    > -WD

    I know that, but power max tells me "cannot find dos. Press any key to
    continue" and when you press any key your pc is rebootted (<---did I write
    this last word correctly?)

    > > Powermax runs from a bootable floppy. You *did* read the instructions,
    > > right?!
    >
    > I know that, but power max tells me "cannot find dos. Press any key to
    > continue" and when you press any key your pc is rebootted (<---did I write
    > this last word correctly?)

    I suspect you copied it to a bad floppy. Try another. You need to use to
    authorize return. It will also tell you if there are uncorrectable bad
    sectors.

    I would burn all your personal files to CD-R immediately.

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Mr Anderson wrote:
    >

    > > "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
    > > messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
    > >> "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message

    > >> the

    indicated
    > > this
    > >> >

    > >> How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to
    > >> understand it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?
    > >>

    > > not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
    > > which causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
    > > "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
    > > according to active smart.
    >
    > Every time the disk detects a bad sector it at the first opportunity maps
    it
    > to a spare--this is called "reallocation". As to what "reallocated sector
    > count" means to your program, I have no idea--it appears that the program
    > reports things backwards from the way common sense would have it, so that
    > low number is bad and a high one is good. Apparently it does some kind of
    > weird calculation on the real number to get one that makes no sense at
    all.
    > One of these days somebody needs to line up all the technicians in the
    > world, bore holes in their heads, and pour in a few pints of common sense,
    > but I suspect that Satan will be seen in LL. Bean shopping for warm
    clothes
    > before that happens.
    >
    > >>In the status window of the programme the item "Reallocated Sector
    Count"
    > > is
    > >>red
    > >
    > >>Threshold 63
    > >>Value 3
    > >>Worst 3
    >
    > Well, given that 100 is perfect and when the count however calculated gets
    > down to 63 that's bad and it's being reported as 3 I'd say that that's
    > _real_ bad.
    >
    > --
    > --John
    > Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    I cannnot understand the whole sense of your answer (I'm italian) but I
    think you advise me not to worry, don't you?
    However I am scared by Arno Wagner's answer

    >It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
    >barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
    >warning literally and back-up now

    I am really confused!! What should I do????

    Mr Anderson wrote:

    >>It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
    >>barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
    >>warning literally and back-up now
    >

    > I am really confused!! What should I do????

    Back up your data and replace the drive NOW.

    -WD

    Mr Anderson wrote:

    > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> Mr Anderson wrote:
    >>

    >> > "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
    >> > messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...

    > with

    > indicated
    > replace
    >> > this

    >> > not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
    >> > which causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand
    >> > what "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in
    >> > danger according to active smart.
    >>
    >> Every time the disk detects a bad sector it at the first opportunity maps
    > it
    >> to a spare--this is called "reallocation". As to what "reallocated
    >> sector count" means to your program, I have no idea--it appears that the
    >> program reports things backwards from the way common sense would have it,
    >> so that
    >> low number is bad and a high one is good. Apparently it does some kind
    >> of weird calculation on the real number to get one that makes no sense at
    > all.
    >> One of these days somebody needs to line up all the technicians in the
    >> world, bore holes in their heads, and pour in a few pints of common
    >> sense, but I suspect that Satan will be seen in LL. Bean shopping for
    >> warm
    > clothes
    >> before that happens.

    > Count"
    >> > is

    >> Well, given that 100 is perfect and when the count however calculated
    >> gets down to 63 that's bad and it's being reported as 3 I'd say that
    >> that's _real_ bad.
    >>
    >> --
    >> --John
    >> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    >> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
    >
    > I cannnot understand the whole sense of your answer (I'm italian) but I
    > think you advise me not to worry, don't you?
    > However I am scared by Arno Wagner's answer

    No. Be scared. Arno's right. The way the counter seems to work a disk
    with no reallocated sectors would show "100", a disk with all available
    sparing used up would be a "0", with a warning issued when the counter,
    however calculated, decreases from 100 to 63. On your disk, it has gone
    past 63, all the way down to 3, which is exceedingly bad.

    >>It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
    >>barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
    >>warning literally and back-up now
    >
    > I am really confused!! What should I do????

    Assume that your disk is dead--save what you can.

    --

    "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Previously Mr Anderson <anderson@despammed.com> wrote:
    >
    > > "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
    > > messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
    > >> "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message

    > >> the

    indicated a
    > > this
    > >> >

    > >> How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to
    understand
    > >> it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?
    > >>

    > > not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
    which
    > > causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
    > > "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
    > > according to active smart.
    >
    > It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
    > barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
    > warning literally and back-up now.

    ok, back-up and then? Drop my hd in the rubbish?

    Mr Anderson wrote:

    > I have downloaded and installed the trial version of "Active Smart 2.41"
    >
    > (http://www.ariolic.com).
    >
    > As soon as I started the programme a warning popup windows appears with the
    > following message:
    >
    > "WARNING! The drive Maxtor 6Y120MO, 122.9 GB indicated a
    > S.M.A.R.T error condition. Immediately back-up your data and replace this
    > hard drive!
    > A failure may be imminent"
    >
    > In the status window of the programme the item "Reallocated Sector Count" is
    > red
    >
    > Threshold 63
    > Value 3
    > Worst 3
    >
    > What does it mean? Is really my hard drive about to crash??
    >
    > Thanks for your time

    Back it up NOW if you value your information.

    Then, if you insist, tinker with it to your heart's content.

    Mr Anderson wrote:

    > "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >
    >>Previously Mr Anderson <anderson@despammed.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
    >>>messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...

    > 2.41"

    > with

    > indicated a

    >>>this

    > understand

    >>>not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
    >
    > which
    >
    >>>causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
    >>>"Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
    >>>according to active smart.
    >>
    >>It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
    >>barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
    >>warning literally and back-up now.
    >>

    > ok, back-up and then? Drop my hd in the rubbish?

    probably

    they don't last forever

    J. Clarke wrote:

    > Mr Anderson wrote:
    >

    >>"Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
    >>messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
    >>
    >>>"Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message

    >>>the

    >>this

    >>>How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to
    >>>understand it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?
    >>>

    >>not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
    >>which causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
    >>"Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
    >>according to active smart.
    >

    > Every time the disk detects a bad sector it at the first opportunity maps it
    > to a spare--this is called "reallocation". As to what "reallocated sector
    > count" means to your program, I have no idea--it appears that the program
    > reports things backwards from the way common sense would have it, so that a
    > low number is bad and a high one is good. Apparently it does some kind of
    > weird calculation on the real number to get one that makes no sense at all.
    > One of these days somebody needs to line up all the technicians in the
    > world, bore holes in their heads, and pour in a few pints of common sense,
    > but I suspect that Satan will be seen in LL. Bean shopping for warm clothes
    > before that happens.

    I think the folks who came up with S.M.A.R.T. decided they wanted all
    the measures to be "good" at high numbers (most of them start at 100,
    I think) and decline from there with declining prospects for the drive.
    I don't know precisely what "reallocated sector count" means physically,
    but I suspect it's something like the number of sectors which can still
    be reallocated before failure.

    At any rate, I'd listen to what they're saying. An ounce of prevention
    is worth a pound of cure.

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 15:45:14 GMT, Mr Anderson <anderson@despammed.com> wrote:
    >I am really confused!! What should I do????

    If you are really this confused over such a simple and straightforward
    matter, I would humbly suggest that you ditch the computer and get a
    typewriter.

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10 for email.)

    Previously Mr Anderson <anderson@despammed.com> wrote:

    > "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> Previously Mr Anderson <anderson@despammed.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> > "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
    >> > messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
    > 2.41"

    > with

    > indicated a
    >> > this

    > understand
    >> >>

    >> > not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
    > which
    >> > causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
    >> > "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
    >> > according to active smart.
    >>
    >> It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
    >> barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
    >> warning literally and back-up now.
    >>

    > ok, back-up and then? Drop my hd in the rubbish?

    Yes, I would say so. Maybe check the warranty status before.

    Arno

  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > Mr Anderson wrote:
    >

    > > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

    > > with

    > > indicated
    > > replace

    > >> Every time the disk detects a bad sector it at the first opportunity
    maps
    > > it
    > >> to a spare--this is called "reallocation". As to what "reallocated
    > >> sector count" means to your program, I have no idea--it appears that
    the
    > >> program reports things backwards from the way common sense would have
    it,
    > >> so that
    > >> low number is bad and a high one is good. Apparently it does some kind
    > >> of weird calculation on the real number to get one that makes no sense
    at
    > > all.
    > >> One of these days somebody needs to line up all the technicians in the
    > >> world, bore holes in their heads, and pour in a few pints of common
    > >> sense, but I suspect that Satan will be seen in LL. Bean shopping for
    > >> warm
    > > clothes
    > >> before that happens.

    > > Count"

    > >> Well, given that 100 is perfect and when the count however calculated
    > >> gets down to 63 that's bad and it's being reported as 3 I'd say that
    > >> that's _real_ bad.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> --John
    > >> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    > >> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
    > >
    > > I cannnot understand the whole sense of your answer (I'm italian) but I
    > > think you advise me not to worry, don't you?
    > > However I am scared by Arno Wagner's answer
    >
    > No. Be scared. Arno's right. The way the counter seems to work a disk
    > with no reallocated sectors would show "100", a disk with all available
    > sparing used up would be a "0", with a warning issued when the counter,
    > however calculated, decreases from 100 to 63. On your disk, it has gone
    > past 63, all the way down to 3, which is exceedingly bad.
    >
    > >>It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
    > >>barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
    > >>warning literally and back-up now
    > >
    > > I am really confused!! What should I do????
    >
    > Assume that your disk is dead--save what you can.

    With a low-level format can the problem be solved?
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Mr Anderson wrote:

    > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >

    >>Assume that your disk is dead--save what you can.
    >>

    > With a low-level format can the problem be solved?

    You're not even listening, are you?

    -WD
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Mr Anderson wrote:

    > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> Mr Anderson wrote:
    >>

    >> > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

    >> > with

    >> > indicated
    >> > replace

    > maps
    >> > it
    > the
    > it,
    > at
    >> > all.
    >> > clothes

    >> > Count"

    >> > I cannnot understand the whole sense of your answer (I'm italian) but I
    >> > think you advise me not to worry, don't you?
    >> > However I am scared by Arno Wagner's answer
    >>
    >> No. Be scared. Arno's right. The way the counter seems to work a disk
    >> with no reallocated sectors would show "100", a disk with all available
    >> sparing used up would be a "0", with a warning issued when the counter,
    >> however calculated, decreases from 100 to 63. On your disk, it has gone
    >> past 63, all the way down to 3, which is exceedingly bad.

    >> > I am really confused!! What should I do????
    >>
    >> Assume that your disk is dead--save what you can.
    >>
    > With a low-level format can the problem be solved?

    What part of "broken" are you having trouble with? Remember what Scipio
    Africanus did to Carthage? Well something like that is happening to your
    drive.
    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
    > messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
    > > "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have downloaded and installed the trial version of "Active Smart
    2.41"

    > > > (http://www.ariolic.com).
    > > >
    > > > As soon as I started the programme a warning popup windows appears
    with
    > > the
    > > > following message:
    > > >
    > > > "WARNING! The drive Maxtor 6Y120MO, 122.9 GB indicated
    > > > S.M.A.R.T error condition. Immediately back-up your data and replace
    > this
    > > > hard drive!
    > > > A failure may be imminent"
    > > >

    > > How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to
    understand
    > > it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?
    > >

    > not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
    which
    > causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
    > "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
    > according to active smart.
    >
    > >In the status window of the programme the item "Reallocated Sector Count"
    > is
    > >red
    >
    > >Threshold 63
    > >Value 3
    > >Worst 3

    Why use a SMART tool if you don't understand SMART. Also, I can't imagine
    that the tool you're using doesn'et explain it's warnings in the help files.

    --
    Joep
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
    messaggio news:52ffd$410bc705$3eddca68$19008@nf1.news-service-com...
    > "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
    > > messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
    > > > "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message
    > 2.41"

    > with
    > > > the

    indicated
    > > this
    > > > >

    > > > How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to
    > understand
    > > > it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?
    > > >

    > > not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
    > which
    > > causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
    > > "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
    > > according to active smart.
    > >
    > > >In the status window of the programme the item "Reallocated Sector
    Count"
    > > is
    > > >red
    > >
    > > >Threshold 63
    > > >Value 3
    > > >Worst 3
    > >

    > Why use a SMART tool if you don't understand SMART. Also, I can't imagine
    > that the tool you're using doesn'et explain it's warnings in the help
    files.

    > --
    > Joep

    You're right!
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > > -WD
    >
    > I know that, but power max tells me "cannot find dos. Press any key to
    > continue" and when you press any key your pc is rebootted (<---did I write
    > this last word correctly?)

    It's useless anyway, the SMART threshold is exceeded. The manufacturer set
    the threshold for this attribute at 63, so whenever this value gets worse
    the maufacturer decided that something had to be seriously wrong. Assuming
    it started counting down from 100 you're way below threshold. The whole
    meaning of SMART is to warn BEFORE the disaster happens, so you have time to
    backup your data.

    --
    Joep
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > Mr Anderson wrote:
    >
    > > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > >

    > >>Assume that your disk is dead--save what you can.
    > >>

    > > With a low-level format can the problem be solved?
    >

    > You're not even listening, are you?

    Sorry but a new sata hard drive costs 100 euros.....I am buying a maxtor
    hard disk...They say maxtor's hard drive are the best....do you agree?
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Mr Anderson wrote:

    > Sorry but a new sata hard drive costs 100 euros.....I am buying a maxtor
    > hard disk...They say maxtor's hard drive are the best....do you agree?

    Who are "they" ?
    Personally, I'd never buy a maxtor again. But that's just me.

    -WD
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Mr Anderson wrote:
    >
    > > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > >

    > >>Assume that your disk is dead--save what you can.
    > >>

    > > With a low-level format can the problem be solved?
    >

    > You're not even listening, are you?

    one more question: what can have caused this problem? I am used to execute
    windowsXP's defrag utility very often....can this have caused such a big
    problem?

    THANKS YOU ALL!!!!
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Mr Anderson wrote:

    > one more question: what can have caused this problem? I am used to execute
    > windowsXP's defrag utility very often....can this have caused such a big
    > problem?

    Excessive heat, faulty power supply, manufacturing defect.
    You should be able to check temp in the SMART data. Should be under 45C

    -WD
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Mr Anderson wrote:

    > "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> Mr Anderson wrote:
    >>
    >> > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

    >> > With a low-level format can the problem be solved?
    >>

    >> You're not even listening, are you?
    >>

    > one more question: what can have caused this problem? I am used to execute
    > windowsXP's defrag utility very often....can this have caused such a big
    > problem?

    Inadequate cooling, a marginal or defective power supply, or you may have
    just gotten a bad drive--nobody's perfect--one slips through now and then.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Mr Anderson wrote:

    > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >
    >>Mr Anderson wrote:
    >>

    >>>"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>>with

    >>>indicated

    >>>replace

    > maps
    >
    >>>it

    > the

    > it,

    > at
    >
    >>>all.

    >>>clothes

    >>>Count"

    >>>I cannnot understand the whole sense of your answer (I'm italian) but I
    >>>think you advise me not to worry, don't you?
    >>>However I am scared by Arno Wagner's answer
    >>
    >>No. Be scared. Arno's right. The way the counter seems to work a disk
    >>with no reallocated sectors would show "100", a disk with all available
    >>sparing used up would be a "0", with a warning issued when the counter,
    >>however calculated, decreases from 100 to 63. On your disk, it has gone
    >>past 63, all the way down to 3, which is exceedingly bad.

    >>>I am really confused!! What should I do????
    >>
    >>Assume that your disk is dead--save what you can.
    >>

    > With a low-level format can the problem be solved?

    I wouldn't take the risk unless this is just a play machine that you
    don't use for anything important.

  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Mr Anderson wrote:

    > "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >
    >>Mr Anderson wrote:
    >>

    >>>"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>>With a low-level format can the problem be solved?
    >>

    >>You're not even listening, are you?
    >>

    > Sorry but a new sata hard drive costs 100 euros.....I am buying a maxtor
    > hard disk...They say maxtor's hard drive are the best....do you agree?

    100 euros is probably cheap compared to losing all your files.

    Maxtor drives work fine for me. So do Western Digital and Seagate.

  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Will Dormann wrote:

    > Mr Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> one more question: what can have caused this problem? I am used to
    >> execute
    >> windowsXP's defrag utility very often....can this have caused such a big
    >> problem?
    >

    > Excessive heat, faulty power supply, manufacturing defect.
    > You should be able to check temp in the SMART data. Should be under 45C
    >

    > -WD

    some others -
    bad cabling, bad mains power, powering it down when not quiescent

    but most likely excessive temp or faulty power supply

  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    J. Clarke wrote:

    > Mr Anderson wrote:
    >

    >>"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>maps

    >>the

    >>it,

    >>at

    >>>No. Be scared. Arno's right. The way the counter seems to work a disk
    >>>with no reallocated sectors would show "100", a disk with all available
    >>>sparing used up would be a "0", with a warning issued when the counter,
    >>>however calculated, decreases from 100 to 63. On your disk, it has gone
    >>>past 63, all the way down to 3, which is exceedingly bad.

    >>>Assume that your disk is dead--save what you can.
    >>>

    >>With a low-level format can the problem be solved?
    >

    > What part of "broken" are you having trouble with? Remember what Scipio
    > Africanus did to Carthage? Well something like that is happening to your
    > drive.

    Everyone is having a field day with Mr. Anderson's skepticism of the
    warning message. Go easy on him. Sometimes Windows gives a "Fatal
    Exception Occurred" message, but in reality, nobody has died.
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Shailesh Humbad wrote:

    > J. Clarke wrote:
    >
    >> Mr Anderson wrote:
    >>

    >>>"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>>maps

    >>>the

    >>>it,

    >>>at

    >>>With a low-level format can the problem be solved?
    >>

    >> What part of "broken" are you having trouble with? Remember what Scipio
    >> Africanus did to Carthage? Well something like that is happening to your
    >> drive.
    >
    > Everyone is having a field day with Mr. Anderson's skepticism of the
    > warning message. Go easy on him. Sometimes Windows gives a "Fatal
    > Exception Occurred" message, but in reality, nobody has died.

    The problem doesn't seem to be "his skepticism of the warning message", it
    seems to be that his English (he admits that he is not a native speaker of
    English and that he's having problems with it) doesn't seem to be up to the
    task of following the discussion. So I gave him an example that any
    Italian schoolboy should be able to follow.

    When a drive has used up all its sparing, then it's got a serious problem.
    That's the bottom line and continuing to dink with it is just going to
    result in data loss.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Mr Anderson wrote:

    > "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > > Mr Anderson wrote:
    > >
    > > > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

    > > > With a low-level format can the problem be solved?
    > >

    > > You're not even listening, are you?
    > >

    > one more question: what can have caused this problem? I am used to execute
    > windowsXP's defrag utility very often....can this have caused such a big
    > problem?
    >
    > THANKS YOU ALL!!!!

    I know less than most of the people here and do not say that any of
    them are wrong but I have one comment. If you get several people
    saying "disaster," then do what they say and back it up. However, it
    is a computer, and computer are uncommonly stupid and the message they
    send to you often has nothing do to with what is happening. The
    software code could be corrupted for any number of reasons and there
    may be nothing wrong with your hard disk, or there might be. So, back
    it up, then delete and and reinstall what ever code you loaded just
    before it started saying the disk was bad and make sure you are doing
    everything correctly. Virus checkers can corrupt code so be sure all
    of that stuff is off when you install anything.

    I had a problem with a hard disk, explained it, and the messages
    received and most everyone said that the hard drive was going bad, or
    just as likely the power supply was. I had already backed up my date,
    so for the second time i went through the case unplugging and plugging
    in every connection possibly related to the hard drive. No more
    messages, no more noise, no more problem because the first time I
    checked connection I probably missed one.

    Good Luck.
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    George E. Cawthon wrote:

    > Mr Anderson wrote:
    >>
    >> "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

    >> > You're not even listening, are you?
    >> >

    >> one more question: what can have caused this problem? I am used to
    >> execute windowsXP's defrag utility very often....can this have caused
    >> such a big problem?
    >>
    >> THANKS YOU ALL!!!!
    >
    > I know less than most of the people here and do not say that any of
    > them are wrong but I have one comment. If you get several people
    > saying "disaster," then do what they say and back it up. However, it
    > is a computer, and computer are uncommonly stupid and the message they
    > send to you often has nothing do to with what is happening. The
    > software code could be corrupted for any number of reasons and there
    > may be nothing wrong with your hard disk, or there might be. So, back
    > it up, then delete and and reinstall what ever code you loaded just
    > before it started saying the disk was bad and make sure you are doing
    > everything correctly. Virus checkers can corrupt code so be sure all
    > of that stuff is off when you install anything.
    >
    > I had a problem with a hard disk, explained it, and the messages
    > received and most everyone said that the hard drive was going bad, or
    > just as likely the power supply was. I had already backed up my date,
    > so for the second time i went through the case unplugging and plugging
    > in every connection possibly related to the hard drive. No more
    > messages, no more noise, no more problem because the first time I
    > checked connection I probably missed one.

    In his case though the message is unambiguous--the drive has used up most of
    its sparing.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Shailesh Humbad" <noreply@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    > Sometimes Windows gives a "Fatal
    > Exception Occurred" message, but in reality, nobody has died.

    Overheard in a circus:

    "Granpa, they said it's a deadly stunt, but nobody's died... Granpa?
    Granpa?!"
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "J. Clarke" wrote:

    > George E. Cawthon wrote:
    >

    > > Mr Anderson wrote:
    > >>
    > >> "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

    > >> one more question: what can have caused this problem? I am used to
    > >> execute windowsXP's defrag utility very often....can this have caused
    > >> such a big problem?
    > >>
    > >> THANKS YOU ALL!!!!
    > >
    > > I know less than most of the people here and do not say that any of
    > > them are wrong but I have one comment. If you get several people
    > > saying "disaster," then do what they say and back it up. However, it
    > > is a computer, and computer are uncommonly stupid and the message they
    > > send to you often has nothing do to with what is happening. The
    > > software code could be corrupted for any number of reasons and there
    > > may be nothing wrong with your hard disk, or there might be. So, back
    > > it up, then delete and and reinstall what ever code you loaded just
    > > before it started saying the disk was bad and make sure you are doing
    > > everything correctly. Virus checkers can corrupt code so be sure all
    > > of that stuff is off when you install anything.
    > >
    > > I had a problem with a hard disk, explained it, and the messages
    > > received and most everyone said that the hard drive was going bad, or
    > > just as likely the power supply was. I had already backed up my date,
    > > so for the second time i went through the case unplugging and plugging
    > > in every connection possibly related to the hard drive. No more
    > > messages, no more noise, no more problem because the first time I
    > > checked connection I probably missed one.
    >
    > In his case though the message is unambiguous--the drive has used up most of
    > its sparing.
    >
    > > Good Luck.
    >
    > --
    > --John
    > Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Hey, I've got very unambigous messages many times from my operating
    system that I know cannot possibly be true. Still suffering the
    occassional modem message that there is a call waiting, but I don't
    have call waiting and there is no possibilty that the modem could know
    whether or not there is a call to my number. There are a few others
    messages that pop up from time to time that also cannot possibly be
    true.
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    George E. Cawthon wrote:

    > "J. Clarke" wrote:
    >>
    >> George E. Cawthon wrote:

    >> > I know less than most of the people here and do not say that any of
    >> > them are wrong but I have one comment. If you get several people
    >> > saying "disaster," then do what they say and back it up. However, it
    >> > is a computer, and computer are uncommonly stupid and the message they
    >> > send to you often has nothing do to with what is happening. The
    >> > software code could be corrupted for any number of reasons and there
    >> > may be nothing wrong with your hard disk, or there might be. So, back
    >> > it up, then delete and and reinstall what ever code you loaded just
    >> > before it started saying the disk was bad and make sure you are doing
    >> > everything correctly. Virus checkers can corrupt code so be sure all
    >> > of that stuff is off when you install anything.
    >> >
    >> > I had a problem with a hard disk, explained it, and the messages
    >> > received and most everyone said that the hard drive was going bad, or
    >> > just as likely the power supply was. I had already backed up my date,
    >> > so for the second time i went through the case unplugging and plugging
    >> > in every connection possibly related to the hard drive. No more
    >> > messages, no more noise, no more problem because the first time I
    >> > checked connection I probably missed one.
    >>
    >> In his case though the message is unambiguous--the drive has used up most
    >> of its sparing.
    >>
    >> > Good Luck.
    >>
    >> --
    >> --John
    >> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    >> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
    >
    > Hey, I've got very unambigous messages many times from my operating
    > system that I know cannot possibly be true.

    So what? This is not a message from the operating system. Do you have an
    alternative explanation for a disk drive reporting when queried that it has
    used up all of its sparing?

    > Still suffering the
    > occassional modem message that there is a call waiting, but I don't
    > have call waiting and there is no possibilty that the modem could know
    > whether or not there is a call to my number. There are a few others
    > messages that pop up from time to time that also cannot possibly be
    > true.

    So what? Again this is not an operating system message. Are you saying
    that the drive is deluded about how many sectors it has reallocated?

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > The problem doesn't seem to be "his skepticism of the warning message",
    it
    > seems to be that his English (he admits that he is not a native speaker of
    > English and that he's having problems with it) doesn't seem to be up to
    the
    > task of following the discussion. So I gave him an example that any
    > Italian schoolboy should be able to follow.
    >
    > When a drive has used up all its sparing, then it's got a serious problem.
    > That's the bottom line and continuing to dink with it is just going to
    > result in data loss.
    >
    > --
    As I have understood I cannot create new sparings in any way, right?
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > > With a low-level format can the problem be solved?
    > >

    > I wouldn't take the risk unless this is just a play machine that you
    > don't use for anything important.

    I swear you, I have no games installed on my pc! Is a low-level format so
    risky? I know it is just a very deep format.....
  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > I would burn all your personal files to CD-R immediately.

    I have already done that...
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "terry_b17" <terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> ha scritto nel
    messaggio news:410b8b95_6@news.athenanews.com...
    > hi ,
    > i would download and run maxtors diagnostic utility to verify the
    > condition of the drive . i would back up asap if it gives any
    > indication of problem .
    > hope this helps ,
    > terry

    I have executed all possible tests and my hard disk passed them all with no
    remarks
  44. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    When you talk on the phone, and another caller is trying to reach you, you
    can hear "beep" in the line, and if you press "Flash", you can switch to
    that line.

    During data connection, the modem also monitors the line for that "beep" and
    if it's detected, the host software tells you that there is a call waiting.
    This is how "there is a possibility that the modem could know whether or not
    there is a call to my number". V.92 protocol allows you to temporarily
    disconnect data connection (without losing PPP session and IP address), pick
    up the voice call, and after you voice call is completed, switch back to the
    data connection.

    "George E. Cawthon" <GeorgeC-Boise@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

    > Hey, I've got very unambigous messages many times from my operating
    > system that I know cannot possibly be true. Still suffering the
    > occassional modem message that there is a call waiting, but I don't
    > have call waiting and there is no possibilty that the modem could know
    > whether or not there is a call to my number. There are a few others
    > messages that pop up from time to time that also cannot possibly be
    > true.
  45. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Alexander Grigoriev wrote:

    > When you talk on the phone, and another caller is trying to reach you, you
    > can hear "beep" in the line, and if you press "Flash", you can switch to
    > that line.

    That is called "call waiting" and it is an extra-cost service in most areas.
    He said that he does not have call waiting and so this would not occur.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Mr Anderson wrote:

    >>>With a low-level format can the problem be solved?
    >>>

    >>I wouldn't take the risk unless this is just a play machine that you
    >>don't use for anything important.
    >>

    > I swear you, I have no games installed on my pc! Is a low-level format so
    > risky? I know it is just a very deep format.....

    I don't think recent IDE drives allow a low-level format as that term
    was used in the past. A regular Windows format won't have any effect,
    AFAIK, since the S.M.A.R.T. status is being generated at the drive
    level.

    I see in another post that you've backed up your files. Given that,
    try whatever you like, and if you achieve any results that contradict
    what you've heard here, be sure to let us know.

    Personally, I think you'll be disappointed, and find that the best
    course is to replace the drive (perhaps via a warranty claim).

  47. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Mr Anderson wrote:

    >> The problem doesn't seem to be "his skepticism of the warning message",
    > it
    >> seems to be that his English (he admits that he is not a native speaker
    >> of English and that he's having problems with it) doesn't seem to be up
    > the
    >> task of following the discussion. So I gave him an example that any
    >> Italian schoolboy should be able to follow.
    >>
    >> When a drive has used up all its sparing, then it's got a serious
    >> problem. That's the bottom line and continuing to dink with it is just
    >> going to result in data loss.
    >>
    >> --
    > As I have understood I cannot create new sparings in any way, right?

    That is correct.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  48. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "J. Clarke" wrote:

    > George E. Cawthon wrote:

    > >> In his case though the message is unambiguous--the drive has used up most
    > >> of its sparing.

    > >> --
    > >> --John
    > >> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    > >> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
    > >
    > > Hey, I've got very unambigous messages many times from my operating
    > > system that I know cannot possibly be true.
    >
    > So what? This is not a message from the operating system. Do you have an
    > alternative explanation for a disk drive reporting when queried that it has
    > used up all of its sparing?
    >
    > > Still suffering the
    > > occassional modem message that there is a call waiting, but I don't
    > > have call waiting and there is no possibilty that the modem could know
    > > whether or not there is a call to my number. There are a few others
    > > messages that pop up from time to time that also cannot possibly be
    > > true.
    >
    > So what? Again this is not an operating system message. Are you saying
    > that the drive is deluded about how many sectors it has reallocated?
    >
    > --
    > --John
    > Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    You are saying that there is no possiblity that he could receive the
    message that he did unless the hard drive was as stated? No virus
    could influence receiving this message, no code fault could result in
    receiving this message?
  49. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    George E. Cawthon wrote:

    > "J. Clarke" wrote:
    >>
    >> George E. Cawthon wrote:

    >> > Hey, I've got very unambigous messages many times from my operating
    >> > system that I know cannot possibly be true.
    >>
    >> So what? This is not a message from the operating system. Do you have
    >> an alternative explanation for a disk drive reporting when queried that
    >> it has used up all of its sparing?
    >>
    >> > Still suffering the
    >> > occassional modem message that there is a call waiting, but I don't
    >> > have call waiting and there is no possibilty that the modem could know
    >> > whether or not there is a call to my number. There are a few others
    >> > messages that pop up from time to time that also cannot possibly be
    >> > true.
    >>
    >> So what? Again this is not an operating system message. Are you saying
    >> that the drive is deluded about how many sectors it has reallocated?
    >>
    >> --
    >> --John
    >> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    >> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
    >
    > You are saying that there is no possiblity that he could receive the
    > message that he did unless the hard drive was as stated? No virus
    > could influence receiving this message, no code fault could result in
    > receiving this message?

    I am saying that that possibility is exceedingly remote while the
    probability that his drive is going to use up the rest of its sparing is
    exceedingly high.

    Why is it so important to you that he ignore a warning message?

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Hard Drives Storage