Is my hard disk in danger?

I have downloaded and installed the trial version of "Active Smart 2.41"

(http://www.ariolic.com).

As soon as I started the programme a warning popup windows appears with the
following message:

"WARNING! The drive Maxtor 6Y120MO, 122.9 GB [S/N: Y31XRT1E] indicated a
S.M.A.R.T error condition. Immediately back-up your data and replace this
hard drive!
A failure may be imminent"

In the status window of the programme the item "Reallocated Sector Count" is
red

Threshold 63
Value 3
Worst 3

What does it mean? Is really my hard drive about to crash??

Thanks for your time

hi ,
i would download and run maxtors diagnostic utility to verify the
condition of the drive . i would back up asap if it gives any
indication of problem .
hope this helps ,
terry

==============

"terry_b17" <terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:410b8b95_6@news.athenanews.com...
> hi ,
> i would download and run maxtors diagnostic utility to verify the
> condition of the drive . i would back up asap if it gives any
> indication of problem .
> hope this helps ,
> terry

thanks for your answer but on maxtor's site I couldn't find any di
diagnostic utility save for powermax that runs under dos and I have winXp

> ==============
troubleshooting newsgroups.

Mr Anderson wrote:
> "terry_b17" <terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> ha scritto nel
> messaggio news:410b8b95_6@news.athenanews.com...
>
>>hi ,
>> i would download and run maxtors diagnostic utility to verify the
>>condition of the drive . i would back up asap if it gives any
>>indication of problem .
>>hope this helps ,
>>terry
>>

> thanks for your answer but on maxtor's site I couldn't find any di
> diagnostic utility save for powermax that runs under dos and I have winXp

Powermax runs from a bootable floppy. You *did* read the instructions,
right?!

-WD

joeP

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message
> I have downloaded and installed the trial version of "Active Smart 2.41"
>
> (http://www.ariolic.com).
>
> As soon as I started the programme a warning popup windows appears with
the
> following message:
>
> "WARNING! The drive Maxtor 6Y120MO, 122.9 GB [S/N: Y31XRT1E] indicated a
> S.M.A.R.T error condition. Immediately back-up your data and replace this
> hard drive!
> A failure may be imminent"

How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to understand
it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?

--
Joep

"Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
> "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message
> > I have downloaded and installed the trial version of "Active Smart 2.41"
> >
> > (http://www.ariolic.com).
> >
> > As soon as I started the programme a warning popup windows appears with
> the
> > following message:
> >
> > "WARNING! The drive Maxtor 6Y120MO, 122.9 GB [S/N: Y31XRT1E] indicated a
> > S.M.A.R.T error condition. Immediately back-up your data and replace
this
> > hard drive!
> > A failure may be imminent"
> >

> How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to understand
> it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?

not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item which
causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
"Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
according to active smart.

Mr Anderson wrote:

> "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
> messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
>> "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message
>> > I have downloaded and installed the trial version of "Active Smart
>> > 2.41"
>> >
>> > (http://www.ariolic.com).
>> >
>> > As soon as I started the programme a warning popup windows appears with
>> the
>> > following message:
>> >
>> > "WARNING! The drive Maxtor 6Y120MO, 122.9 GB [S/N: Y31XRT1E] indicated
>> > a S.M.A.R.T error condition. Immediately back-up your data and replace
> this
>> > hard drive!
>> > A failure may be imminent"
>> >

>> How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to
>> understand it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?
>>

> not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
> which causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
> "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
> according to active smart.

Every time the disk detects a bad sector it at the first opportunity maps it
to a spare--this is called "reallocation". As to what "reallocated sector
count" means to your program, I have no idea--it appears that the program
reports things backwards from the way common sense would have it, so that a
low number is bad and a high one is good. Apparently it does some kind of
weird calculation on the real number to get one that makes no sense at all.
One of these days somebody needs to line up all the technicians in the
world, bore holes in their heads, and pour in a few pints of common sense,
but I suspect that Satan will be seen in LL. Bean shopping for warm clothes
before that happens.

>>In the status window of the programme the item "Reallocated Sector Count"
> is
>>red
>
>>Threshold 63
>>Value 3
>>Worst 3

Well, given that 100 is perfect and when the count however calculated gets
down to 63 that's bad and it's being reported as 3 I'd say that that's
_real_ bad.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Previously Mr Anderson <anderson@despammed.com> wrote:

> "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
> messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
>> "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message
>> > I have downloaded and installed the trial version of "Active Smart 2.41"
>> >
>> > (http://www.ariolic.com).
>> >
>> > As soon as I started the programme a warning popup windows appears with
>> the
>> > following message:
>> >
>> > "WARNING! The drive Maxtor 6Y120MO, 122.9 GB [S/N: Y31XRT1E] indicated a
>> > S.M.A.R.T error condition. Immediately back-up your data and replace
> this
>> > hard drive!
>> > A failure may be imminent"
>> >

>> How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to understand
>> it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?
>>

> not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item which
> causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
> "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
> according to active smart.

It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
warning literally and back-up now.

Arno

"Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Mr Anderson wrote:
> > "terry_b17" <terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> ha scritto nel
> > messaggio news:410b8b95_6@news.athenanews.com...
> >
> >>hi ,
> >> i would download and run maxtors diagnostic utility to verify the
> >>condition of the drive . i would back up asap if it gives any
> >>indication of problem .
> >>hope this helps ,
> >>terry
> >>

> > thanks for your answer but on maxtor's site I couldn't find any di
> > diagnostic utility save for powermax that runs under dos and I have
winXp

> Powermax runs from a bootable floppy. You *did* read the instructions,
> right?!
>

> -WD

I know that, but power max tells me "cannot find dos. Press any key to
continue" and when you press any key your pc is rebootted (<---did I write
this last word correctly?)

> > Powermax runs from a bootable floppy. You *did* read the instructions,
> > right?!
>
> I know that, but power max tells me "cannot find dos. Press any key to
> continue" and when you press any key your pc is rebootted (<---did I write
> this last word correctly?)

I suspect you copied it to a bad floppy. Try another. You need to use to
authorize return. It will also tell you if there are uncorrectable bad
sectors.

I would burn all your personal files to CD-R immediately.

"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Mr Anderson wrote:
>

> > "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
> > messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
> >> "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message

> >> the

> > this
> >> >

> >> How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to
> >> understand it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?
> >>

> > not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
> > which causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
> > "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
> > according to active smart.
>
> Every time the disk detects a bad sector it at the first opportunity maps
it
> to a spare--this is called "reallocation". As to what "reallocated sector
> count" means to your program, I have no idea--it appears that the program
> reports things backwards from the way common sense would have it, so that
> low number is bad and a high one is good. Apparently it does some kind of
> weird calculation on the real number to get one that makes no sense at
all.
> One of these days somebody needs to line up all the technicians in the
> world, bore holes in their heads, and pour in a few pints of common sense,
> but I suspect that Satan will be seen in LL. Bean shopping for warm
clothes
> before that happens.
>
> >>In the status window of the programme the item "Reallocated Sector
Count"
> > is
> >>red
> >
> >>Threshold 63
> >>Value 3
> >>Worst 3
>
> Well, given that 100 is perfect and when the count however calculated gets
> down to 63 that's bad and it's being reported as 3 I'd say that that's
> _real_ bad.
>
> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

I cannnot understand the whole sense of your answer (I'm italian) but I
think you advise me not to worry, don't you?
However I am scared by Arno Wagner's answer

>It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
>barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
>warning literally and back-up now

I am really confused!! What should I do????

Mr Anderson wrote:

>>It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
>>barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
>>warning literally and back-up now
>

> I am really confused!! What should I do????

Back up your data and replace the drive NOW.

-WD

Mr Anderson wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Mr Anderson wrote:
>>

>> > "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
>> > messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...

> with

> indicated
> replace
>> > this

>> > not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
>> > which causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand
>> > what "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in
>> > danger according to active smart.
>>
>> Every time the disk detects a bad sector it at the first opportunity maps
> it
>> to a spare--this is called "reallocation". As to what "reallocated
>> sector count" means to your program, I have no idea--it appears that the
>> program reports things backwards from the way common sense would have it,
>> so that
>> low number is bad and a high one is good. Apparently it does some kind
>> of weird calculation on the real number to get one that makes no sense at
> all.
>> One of these days somebody needs to line up all the technicians in the
>> world, bore holes in their heads, and pour in a few pints of common
>> sense, but I suspect that Satan will be seen in LL. Bean shopping for
>> warm
> clothes
>> before that happens.

> Count"
>> > is

>> Well, given that 100 is perfect and when the count however calculated
>> gets down to 63 that's bad and it's being reported as 3 I'd say that
>> that's _real_ bad.
>>
>> --
>> --John
>> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
>> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
>
> I cannnot understand the whole sense of your answer (I'm italian) but I
> think you advise me not to worry, don't you?
> However I am scared by Arno Wagner's answer

No. Be scared. Arno's right. The way the counter seems to work a disk
with no reallocated sectors would show "100", a disk with all available
sparing used up would be a "0", with a warning issued when the counter,
however calculated, decreases from 100 to 63. On your disk, it has gone
past 63, all the way down to 3, which is exceedingly bad.

>>It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
>>barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
>>warning literally and back-up now
>
> I am really confused!! What should I do????

Assume that your disk is dead--save what you can.

--

"Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Previously Mr Anderson <anderson@despammed.com> wrote:
>
> > "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
> > messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
> >> "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message

> >> the

> > this
> >> >

> >> How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to
understand
> >> it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?
> >>

> > not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
which
> > causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
> > "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
> > according to active smart.
>
> It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
> barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
> warning literally and back-up now.

ok, back-up and then? Drop my hd in the rubbish?

cjt

Mr Anderson wrote:

> I have downloaded and installed the trial version of "Active Smart 2.41"
>
> (http://www.ariolic.com).
>
> As soon as I started the programme a warning popup windows appears with the
> following message:
>
> "WARNING! The drive Maxtor 6Y120MO, 122.9 GB [S/N: Y31XRT1E] indicated a
> S.M.A.R.T error condition. Immediately back-up your data and replace this
> hard drive!
> A failure may be imminent"
>
> In the status window of the programme the item "Reallocated Sector Count" is
> red
>
> Threshold 63
> Value 3
> Worst 3
>
> What does it mean? Is really my hard drive about to crash??
>
> Thanks for your time

Back it up NOW if you value your information.

Then, if you insist, tinker with it to your heart's content.

cjt

Mr Anderson wrote:

> "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>>Previously Mr Anderson <anderson@despammed.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
>>>messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...

> 2.41"

> with

> indicated a

>>>this

> understand

>>>not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
>
> which
>
>>>causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
>>>"Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
>>>according to active smart.
>>
>>It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
>>barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
>>warning literally and back-up now.
>>

> ok, back-up and then? Drop my hd in the rubbish?

probably

they don't last forever

cjt

J. Clarke wrote:

> Mr Anderson wrote:
>

>>"Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
>>messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
>>
>>>"Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message

>>>the

>>this

>>>How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to
>>>understand it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?
>>>

>>not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
>>which causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
>>"Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
>>according to active smart.
>

> Every time the disk detects a bad sector it at the first opportunity maps it
> to a spare--this is called "reallocation". As to what "reallocated sector
> count" means to your program, I have no idea--it appears that the program
> reports things backwards from the way common sense would have it, so that a
> low number is bad and a high one is good. Apparently it does some kind of
> weird calculation on the real number to get one that makes no sense at all.
> One of these days somebody needs to line up all the technicians in the
> world, bore holes in their heads, and pour in a few pints of common sense,
> but I suspect that Satan will be seen in LL. Bean shopping for warm clothes
> before that happens.

I think the folks who came up with S.M.A.R.T. decided they wanted all
the measures to be "good" at high numbers (most of them start at 100,
I think) and decline from there with declining prospects for the drive.
I don't know precisely what "reallocated sector count" means physically,
but I suspect it's something like the number of sectors which can still
be reallocated before failure.

At any rate, I'd listen to what they're saying. An ounce of prevention
is worth a pound of cure.

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 15:45:14 GMT, Mr Anderson <anderson@despammed.com> wrote:
>I am really confused!! What should I do????

If you are really this confused over such a simple and straightforward
matter, I would humbly suggest that you ditch the computer and get a
typewriter.

--
Roger Blake
(Subtract 10 for email.)

Previously Mr Anderson <anderson@despammed.com> wrote:

> "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Previously Mr Anderson <anderson@despammed.com> wrote:
>>
>> > "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
>> > messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
> 2.41"

> with

> indicated a
>> > this

> understand
>> >>

>> > not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
> which
>> > causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
>> > "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
>> > according to active smart.
>>
>> It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
>> barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
>> warning literally and back-up now.
>>

> ok, back-up and then? Drop my hd in the rubbish?

Yes, I would say so. Maybe check the warranty status before.

Arno

> Mr Anderson wrote:
>

> > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

> > with

> > indicated
> > replace

> >> Every time the disk detects a bad sector it at the first opportunity
maps
> > it
> >> to a spare--this is called "reallocation". As to what "reallocated
> >> sector count" means to your program, I have no idea--it appears that
the
> >> program reports things backwards from the way common sense would have
it,
> >> so that
> >> low number is bad and a high one is good. Apparently it does some kind
> >> of weird calculation on the real number to get one that makes no sense
at
> > all.
> >> One of these days somebody needs to line up all the technicians in the
> >> world, bore holes in their heads, and pour in a few pints of common
> >> sense, but I suspect that Satan will be seen in LL. Bean shopping for
> >> warm
> > clothes
> >> before that happens.

> > Count"

> >> Well, given that 100 is perfect and when the count however calculated
> >> gets down to 63 that's bad and it's being reported as 3 I'd say that
> >> that's _real_ bad.
> >>
> >> --
> >> --John
> >> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> >> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
> >
> > I cannnot understand the whole sense of your answer (I'm italian) but I
> > think you advise me not to worry, don't you?
> > However I am scared by Arno Wagner's answer
>
> No. Be scared. Arno's right. The way the counter seems to work a disk
> with no reallocated sectors would show "100", a disk with all available
> sparing used up would be a "0", with a warning issued when the counter,
> however calculated, decreases from 100 to 63. On your disk, it has gone
> past 63, all the way down to 3, which is exceedingly bad.
>
> >>It means that it did encouter a lof of sectors it could just
> >>barely read or not read at all and had to replace. Take the
> >>warning literally and back-up now
> >
> > I am really confused!! What should I do????
>
> Assume that your disk is dead--save what you can.

With a low-level format can the problem be solved?

Mr Anderson wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
>

>>Assume that your disk is dead--save what you can.
>>

> With a low-level format can the problem be solved?

You're not even listening, are you?

-WD

Mr Anderson wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Mr Anderson wrote:
>>

>> > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

>> > with

>> > indicated
>> > replace

> maps
>> > it
> the
> it,
> at
>> > all.
>> > clothes

>> > Count"

>> > I cannnot understand the whole sense of your answer (I'm italian) but I
>> > think you advise me not to worry, don't you?
>> > However I am scared by Arno Wagner's answer
>>
>> No. Be scared. Arno's right. The way the counter seems to work a disk
>> with no reallocated sectors would show "100", a disk with all available
>> sparing used up would be a "0", with a warning issued when the counter,
>> however calculated, decreases from 100 to 63. On your disk, it has gone
>> past 63, all the way down to 3, which is exceedingly bad.

>> > I am really confused!! What should I do????
>>
>> Assume that your disk is dead--save what you can.
>>
> With a low-level format can the problem be solved?

What part of "broken" are you having trouble with? Remember what Scipio
Africanus did to Carthage? Well something like that is happening to your
drive.
--

> "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
> messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
> > "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message
> > > I have downloaded and installed the trial version of "Active Smart
2.41"

> > > (http://www.ariolic.com).
> > >
> > > As soon as I started the programme a warning popup windows appears
with
> > the
> > > following message:
> > >
> > > "WARNING! The drive Maxtor 6Y120MO, 122.9 GB [S/N: Y31XRT1E] indicated
> > > S.M.A.R.T error condition. Immediately back-up your data and replace
> this
> > > hard drive!
> > > A failure may be imminent"
> > >

> > How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to
understand
> > it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?
> >

> not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
which
> causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
> "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
> according to active smart.
>
> >In the status window of the programme the item "Reallocated Sector Count"
> is
> >red
>
> >Threshold 63
> >Value 3
> >Worst 3

Why use a SMART tool if you don't understand SMART. Also, I can't imagine
that the tool you're using doesn'et explain it's warnings in the help files.

--

messaggio news:52ffd$410bc705$3eddca68$19008@nf1.news-service-com...
> "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> ha scritto nel
> > messaggio news:abcd6$410b82ff$3eddca68$16759@nf1.news-service-com...
> > > "Mr Anderson" <anderson@despammed.com> wrote in message
> 2.41"

> with
> > > the

> > this
> > > >

> > > How much 'clearer' do they have to make this warning for you to
> understand
> > > it? What part of it makes you doubt? What are the doubts?
> > >

> > not the warning message makes me to have any doubts. But the red item
> which
> > causes the warning message. The problem is I cannot undertand what
> > "Reallocated Sector Count" means and why my hard drive is in danger
> > according to active smart.
> >
> > >In the status window of the programme the item "Reallocated Sector
Count"
> > is
> > >red
> >
> > >Threshold 63
> > >Value 3
> > >Worst 3
> >

> Why use a SMART tool if you don't understand SMART. Also, I can't imagine
> that the tool you're using doesn'et explain it's warnings in the help
files.

> --
> Joep

You're right!

joeP

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> > -WD
>
> I know that, but power max tells me "cannot find dos. Press any key to
> continue" and when you press any key your pc is rebootted (<---did I write
> this last word correctly?)

It's useless anyway, the SMART threshold is exceeded. The manufacturer set
the threshold for this attribute at 63, so whenever this value gets worse
the maufacturer decided that something had to be seriously wrong. Assuming
it started counting down from 100 you're way below threshold. The whole
meaning of SMART is to warn BEFORE the disaster happens, so you have time to
backup your data.

--
Joep