Desktop Vendors Not Keen on Using Chrome OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

desktop's not so much, it might be a good choice for net tops or lightweight all in one computers.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Before Google pushes out Chrome OS they need to lobby to the wireless/Big Telephone companies to lower their their 3G/4G bandwidth prices. Right now Verizon is charging $30 for a measly 2GB/month connection even over LTE. I would assume that since a cloud based OS such as Chrome OS would likely eat through those limits very quickly.

I am not necessarily suggesting going back to unlimited data bandwidth (although that would be nice) but 2GB a month for $30 is way over priced.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]"lack of virus issues"...um because Chrome OS doesn't run anything of importance and it has maybe .01% market share. If Linux can't muster more than .1% share who on earth thinks Chrome OS will ever be mainstream.[/citation]

Yeah, lets forget about 90% of the worlds supercomputers and the millions of websites and servers which run Linux. Lets also forget about Android which is based on Linux and is the most used consumer mobile OS ahead of both WinMo7 and iOS combined. Yeah Linux will never be mainstream.

ozzy702

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
[citation][nom]phatboe[/nom]Yeah, lets forget about 90% of the worlds supercomputers and the millions of websites and servers which run Linux. Lets also forget about Android which is based on Linux and is the most used consumer mobile OS ahead of both WinMo7 and iOS combined. Yeah Linux will never be mainstream.[/citation]

Agreed, linux wonderful for what it is and is everywhere... EXCEPT the desktop PC market. A huge hurtle is DirectX. Microsoft did a wonderful job of locking down the gaming market with dirextX, they're good at business.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
So, you make a lighweight Linux distribution, and then give it the gimmick that most of it's applications are stored up on the cloud. Everyone hates it. Casual users hate it, power users hate it, home users, enterprise uses. It's like universally hated... it's hated so much, that it's actually impressive how much it's hated. A couple desktop venders try it out for giggles, and they sell hardly any units because the idea just sucks.

What do?

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
For now, the cloud is a waste of time, particularly with phone companies charging so damn much for data. If it's going to work AT ALL, we NEED AFFORDABLE unlimited plans.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]chumly[/nom]Seriously, I don't want cloud. What's mine is mine.[/citation]

This is indeed the bottom line.

I will never switch from saving/accessing my programs or files to some cloud who knows where.
I prefer to have them on my own hard drive.

Need a copy of X or Y?
That's what backups are for.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I tried using their Chromium OS a while back but it was over my head, I couldn't even figure out how to install it. Hopefully this Chrome OS is a little more friendly to the tech enthusiast, and not just the tech professional. If so, I'd totally give it a try on an old laptop. May breathe some new life into it, who knows?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]"lack of virus issues"...um because Chrome OS doesn't run anything of importance and it has maybe .01% market share. If Linux can't muster more than .1% share who on earth thinks Chrome OS will ever be mainstream.[/citation]

i do...

most people use a computer for internet access, watching a youtube video, and maybe writing a document.

taking out windows would reduce pc cost by what 100$

so long as chrome os is a fully featured chrome browser, as in everything it can do in windows it can do in chrome, the vast majority of people can switch to it tomorrow and barely notice a difference.

if chrome os took it a step further and incorporated opengl, and google payed to make opengl versions of top games, chrome os may take off faster than a windows because im assuming chrome os is VERY light weight compared to a windows, and opengl wont force a 150-300$ upgrade to your pc ever (aside from graphics cards, but not an os)

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Cloud computing is someone telling you they want control over what you do, and telling you it's a good thing for you. Something about it makes me more than a little uncomfortable, not the least of which is why they want that control in the first place.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i do... most people use a computer for internet access, watching a youtube video, and maybe writing a document. taking out windows would reduce pc cost by what 100$so long as chrome os is a fully featured chrome browser, as in everything it can do in windows it can do in chrome, the vast majority of people can switch to it tomorrow and barely notice a difference. if chrome os took it a step further and incorporated opengl, and google payed to make opengl versions of top games, chrome os may take off faster than a windows because im assuming chrome os is VERY light weight compared to a windows, and opengl wont force a 150-300$ upgrade to your pc ever (aside from graphics cards, but not an os)[/citation]

Yes, ChromeOS could reduce the initial pc cost....but it far exceeds that initial cost in extra services that are required to make it usable. ChromeOS requires an internet connection.

Since Linux supports OpenGL and ChromeOS is linux based, it would be stupid for Google to remove OpenGL support.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Yes, ChromeOS could reduce the initial pc cost....but it far exceeds that initial cost in extra services that are required to make it usable. ChromeOS requires an internet connection.Since Linux supports OpenGL and ChromeOS is linux based, it would be stupid for Google to remove OpenGL support.[/citation]

i thought chrome os was the chrome browser but turned into an os...

you also have to read what i posted, most people are getting a computer for net use. they already have a net connection.

also i thought chrome os worked offline, it just doesnt sync till online.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
I think most people in IT have abused their power every now and then. Not to do anything really, but just for curiosities sake.

So no thanks Cloud. I'd rather entrust my data to a 10 year old HDD at the brink of failure than any reliable cloud system. No data is pretty bad. But data in the wrong hands is far worse. And the wrong hands are all hands not my own.

sayakbiswas

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
internet is'nt cheap enough for cloud.......and i dont see COS winning where proper distributions like Ubuntu,Fedora have failed.
One must remember two things, a free OS will not generate extra revenue for the vendor(in comparison to Windows)......and Microsoft Office has a monopoly in office enviroments, with few alternatives for sharepoint/onenote etc.

Free: Ubuntu and other flavors of Linux are free too.
Lack of Virus: Again, look above.
Fast boot: Again, look above.

In short, Chrome OS has nothing over Linux. Then there's the security/privacy issue with Google at the helm too.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
The concept is nice, but in practice I dont think that people will be moving as much as Google invisions into the cloud. I do use Google Docs, it works great for field reports and papers, I can type it up on my desktop at home, proof read on my notebook before class, and give one more look over on my phone before printing it up on the schools computer. Vary conveniant way to NOT forget my homework :)

However there are some things I dont like about it. I dont see myself putting any personal information on the web I just dont trust the cloud (remember sony ), there font list is sparce, and it dosent feel as refined as an experience compared to installed local apps... O ya the web connect thing blows to, which means that I will never use it for anything significantly important beyond a term paper, or the occaional E-Mail.

If they expect us to migrate they need a streamlined look that we would pay for, a better way to deal with bad web connections, and a security set up that they would back up with CASH if it where to be infeltrated. till then I dont see myself branching away from dedicated installation, and local backups. I do think there is some potential there, just not enought to significantly warent a change in my computer prefrences or habilts.

Status
Not open for further replies.