Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 64-bit freezes

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
December 17, 2010 3:49:49 AM

Hello.
My name is Victor, I hope you can help me because customer service seems reluctant to do so.
I am experiencing a strange but irritating problem with my computer, here are my specifications:

Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz 7.0 5.9
Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB 7.4
Graphics ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series 7.2
Gaming graphics 3802 MB Total available graphics memory 7.2
Primary hard disk 394GB Free (446GB Total) 5.9
Windows 7 Home Premium

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Model G73Jh
Total amount of system memory 6.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 446 GB
Disk partition (C:)  394 GB Free (446 GB Total)
Media drive (E:)  CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
Total available graphics memory 3802 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 2778 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.801.0.0
Primary monitor resolution 1600x900
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
Network Adapter Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter

As you can see its not an old computer, I bought it on July, but I did not realized it had a problem since I came from Vancouver in October. I had bought a game, Sid Meier's Civilization V, awesome, but I just cannot play it because every time I get into the installation window my computer stops working and I cant do anything but shut it down, not even control the volume or the lights on my keyboard. I have tried everything I can think of to try and install it successfully, even going as far as using system restore to make my computer go back as far as it can and still has the same problem, but its not just the game, I seem to be unable to use my system's tools for disabled people, like the on-screen keyboard, and I cannot install older games like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. There have been instances in which I seem to have successfully installed such games but then my computer suddenly stops working without me even getting close to the games. This annoys me, I cannot find what the problem is and I am afraid that I cannot solve it and continue to experience it in the future. I have Kaspersky antivirus and Spybot Search & destroy, both software seem to agree that I have no virus or spyware that could be causing the problem. I feel that I need to get a technician to have a look personally because its something you ou have to see to understand...

I have tried contacting customer service for my computer but all they have done is ask me to send them a Driver Report and do somethings that I have already tried and the problem persists.

I think you could help me or at least try, I mean, maybe I have to sign in to your site or something... I dunno, I still have the game but I cannot play it in hopes that I ca find a solution.

Please help me if you can, email me at victorvinoda17@gmail.com if you want more information or to send you something.

Thank you very much.

More about : windows bit freezes

December 18, 2010 1:49:31 AM

It could be any number of things. Lets make sure all of your hardware is good. I would run some sort of hardware tester to make sure things like your RAM, hardrives, etc.
Then after that I would update all of my drivers, graphics card BIOS.

If you need help please let me know.
December 18, 2010 3:40:21 AM

Well are all your drivers up to date ?
Related resources
December 18, 2010 8:33:38 AM

Right click on that Application Launcher on your desktop (this one runs the game) then click on Properties>Compatibility>click on Run this program in Compatibility Mode for:>If the Game Apps is known to run under Windows XP then choose Windows XP.
December 27, 2010 11:12:39 PM

I already solved it, turns out it was an outdated sound driver that was causing the problem, thank you, I updated and now I am enjoying my games as it should have been :D  merry christmas.
!