HDD SMART status?

One of my old disks (IBM-DTLA-307020) gives some SMART values like this:

Reallocation Event Count (1040)
Reallocated Sector Count (132)

Disk has SMART status GOOD, but other disks in my system have this values 0.
Is it OK or not?
What are these "reallocation" counters?
3 answers Last reply
More about smart status

    Previously c-shadow <zajeb911@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > One of my old disks (IBM-DTLA-307020) gives some SMART values like this:

    > Reallocation Event Count (1040)
    > Reallocated Sector Count (132)

    > Disk has SMART status GOOD, but other disks in my system have this values 0.
    > Is it OK or not?
    > What are these "reallocation" counters?

    Efectively additional defect sectors that turned up in use.
    I would monitor the reallocated sector count. If it grows, replace
    the HDD. Some manufacturers have unusable high thresholds
    before they actually report a SMART failure.

    Arno

    "c-shadow" <zajeb911@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:2nc59gFvbse4U1@uni-berlin.de
    > One of my old disks (IBM-DTLA-307020) gives some SMART values like this:
    >
    > Reallocation Event Count (1040)
    > Reallocated Sector Count (132)
    >
    > Disk has SMART status GOOD, but other disks in my system have this values 0.
    > Is it OK or not?
    > What are these "reallocation" counters?

    I take it that you didn't bother to read up on it when this subject was only discussed
    'yesterday'.

    "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:2ncff1Fuui37U1@uni-berlin.de...
    > Previously c-shadow <zajeb911@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > > One of my old disks (IBM-DTLA-307020) gives some SMART values like this:
    >
    > > Reallocation Event Count (1040)
    > > Reallocated Sector Count (132)
    >
    > > Disk has SMART status GOOD, but other disks in my system have this values 0.
    > > Is it OK or not?
    > > What are these "reallocation" counters?
    >
    > Efectively additional defect sectors that turned up in use.
    > I would monitor the reallocated sector count.

    > If it grows, replace the HDD.

    Yup, don't check anything, replace it. Shoot first, ask questions later.
    Who cares whether the replacement is killed the same way, right Arnie?

    Shouldn't he replace the HD immediately because it must have grown
    the 132 sectors at some time or other? Why is 132 OK (because you
    didn't know of it) but 133 is not (because you now know)?
    Why it is OK with 132 out of several hundred thousand spares but
    not with 142 out of several hundred thousand spares?

    > Some manufacturers have unusable high thresholds
    > before they actually report a SMART failure.

    Maybe, just maybe, because it is not considered a S.M.A.R.T. failure?
    It is an old drive, it is not uncommon that it has a few replaced sectors.

    Replaced sectors are not a problem.
    The timeframe that they develop in, that can be.
    When that happens, all possible causes need to be investigated
    and subsequently ruled out before you can blame the drive.

    > Arno

IBM Hard Drives Storage