HL2DM- "Your version of [dmmapname.bsp] differs from serve..

Last response: in Video Games
March 25, 2005 9:05:51 PM

OKAY! Steam is *NOT* a reliable means of keeping the damn game up to
date.
McG.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 9:05:52 PM

Elaborate?

Fra support
http://kortlink.dk/pyn

Den lange version:
http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.c
fg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=52&p_created=1092282
809&p_sid=yaHPsjBh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5
PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTgyJnBfcHJvZHM9MCZwX2N
hdHM9MCZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2
VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9bWFwIGRpZmZlc
nMgZnJvbSBzZXJ2ZXI*&p_li=&p_topview=1
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 2:45:58 AM

Thats just because you have downloaded a version of a map that is probably
old (maybe on a different server?).. It is the map makers fault for not
putting version numbers in the map name I suppose. All you have to do is
find the name of the map that is causing the problem, delete it in your
steam folder, and then go back to the server and download it!

Hope that helps,

: )

> OKAY! Steam is *NOT* a reliable means of keeping the damn game up to
> date.
> McG.

March 26, 2005 3:28:30 AM

"Desosa" <yadda@yadda.yadda> wrote in message
> Thats just because you have downloaded a version of a map that is
> probably old (maybe on a different server?).. It is the map makers
> fault for not putting version numbers in the map name I suppose. All
> you have to do is find the name of the map that is causing the
> problem, delete it in your steam folder, and then go back to the
> server and download it!
>
> Hope that helps,
>
>> )

>> OKAY! Steam is *NOT* a reliable means of keeping the damn game up
>> to date.
>> McG.

I did that. About 15 times for 4 maps. This was discovered on CF's
server with the Rats maps, of which one of the 4 worked. I find it also
happens on several other servers I tried. Yes, I deleted all files with
the map name, .BSP, .AIN, .CACHE It takes several minutes to DL a map
from the server, and a few seconds to DL maps from FileFront. Yet some
maps worked and others didn't from FileFront. Yet, I still got better
results using a ton of downloaded files from FileFront.

IF you do use the server to dl a fresh map, then why would the game
still say the versions are different?
McG.
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 3:41:24 AM

Hello Peter,

I go to get into CF's server and play those cool Rats maps. So, I don't
have any installed, and immediately the client starts dl'ing the map
from the server. A few minutes later, an error dialog pops up with that
message DISCONNECTED. "Your version of "dm\dm_bathroom.bsp" differs
from servers"
And that's the end of being in that server! Of the 4 maps, only one of
the server downloads worked, and that was dm_rats_2005.bsp Thing is,
I find this happening a LOT on various other servers afterward.
So I got a bunch of files from FileFronts HL2 section. Some of them
worked, some don't. I did get two other maps (CF used 5, not 4 last
night) for a total of 3 that worked in his server. Still, the only one
that worked that was downloaded direct from his server was
dm_rats_2005.bsp!
It's also frustrating to sit and wait for a small file of less than 10
megs to dl in several minutes when you're used to getting a 5 meg file
in a second :(
We need better access to the current maps in the rotations.

But really, I'd love to know why the version I downloaded from the
server is different from the one on that server.

McG.

<peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Elaborate?
>
> Fra support
> http://kortlink.dk/pyn
>
> Den lange version:
> http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.c
> fg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=52&p_created=1092282
> 809&p_sid=yaHPsjBh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5
> PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTgyJnBfcHJvZHM9MCZwX2N
> hdHM9MCZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2
> VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9bWFwIGRpZmZlc
> nMgZnJvbSBzZXJ2ZXI*&p_li=&p_topview=1
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 3:56:24 AM

Servers limit the amount of bandwidth used to DL maps so as not to
disrupt the game for players already logged on.... Why you're having
the problem you describe is a mystery to me.... If you DL a map from
my server it should work on my server... People change the names of
maps, removing the beta versions for example, which cause problems
going from server to server....

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:41:24 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>Hello Peter,
>
>I go to get into CF's server and play those cool Rats maps. So, I don't
>have any installed, and immediately the client starts dl'ing the map
>from the server. A few minutes later, an error dialog pops up with that
>message DISCONNECTED. "Your version of "dm\dm_bathroom.bsp" differs
>from servers"
>And that's the end of being in that server! Of the 4 maps, only one of
>the server downloads worked, and that was dm_rats_2005.bsp Thing is,
>I find this happening a LOT on various other servers afterward.
>So I got a bunch of files from FileFronts HL2 section. Some of them
>worked, some don't. I did get two other maps (CF used 5, not 4 last
>night) for a total of 3 that worked in his server. Still, the only one
>that worked that was downloaded direct from his server was
>dm_rats_2005.bsp!
>It's also frustrating to sit and wait for a small file of less than 10
>megs to dl in several minutes when you're used to getting a 5 meg file
>in a second :(
>We need better access to the current maps in the rotations.
>
>But really, I'd love to know why the version I downloaded from the
>server is different from the one on that server.
>
>McG.
>

><peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Elaborate?
>>
>> Fra support
>> http://kortlink.dk/pyn
>>
>> Den lange version:
>> http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.c
>> fg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=52&p_created=1092282
>> 809&p_sid=yaHPsjBh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5
>> PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTgyJnBfcHJvZHM9MCZwX2N
>> hdHM9MCZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2
>> VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9bWFwIGRpZmZlc
>> nMgZnJvbSBzZXJ2ZXI*&p_li=&p_topview=1

"By our efforts we have lit a fire as well;
a fire in the minds of men. It warms those
who feel its power. It burns those who fight
its progress. And one day this untamed fire
of freedom will reach the darkest corners of
our world."
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 5:42:23 AM

I think the only one in your rotation I might not have working now is
dm_rats_living.bsp, but don't know for sure as it didn't cycle to it
while I was in a while ago. It really is an odd thing to download the
full map from a server and then can't play because it's a different
version, and it's the same map.
dm_bathroom.bsp was downloaded from your server, and it didn't work. So
I deleted the .bsp and put the one in I got from filefront but with the
..ain graph from your server. It worked. I don't know why the one I
downloaded from your server didn't, date is the same, byte count the
same.
I even tried killing TrojanHunterGuard and ZAP and AVG7, just going
through the LinkSys BEFSR41 router when downloading the map. Didn't
help. Same thing with 'bathroom'. Well, I'm gonna go eat, then get
back in and see if the Living Room comes up in rotation :)
McG.

"Jack Harney" <gonfishn39@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Servers limit the amount of bandwidth used to DL maps so as not to
> disrupt the game for players already logged on.... Why you're having
> the problem you describe is a mystery to me.... If you DL a map from
> my server it should work on my server... People change the names of
> maps, removing the beta versions for example, which cause problems
> going from server to server....
>
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:41:24 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Peter,
>>
>> I go to get into CF's server and play those cool Rats maps. So, I
>> don't have any installed, and immediately the client starts dl'ing
>> the map from the server. A few minutes later, an error dialog pops
>> up with that message DISCONNECTED. "Your version of
>> "dm\dm_bathroom.bsp" differs from servers"
>> And that's the end of being in that server! Of the 4 maps, only
>> one of the server downloads worked, and that was dm_rats_2005.bsp
>> Thing is, I find this happening a LOT on various other servers
>> afterward.
>> So I got a bunch of files from FileFronts HL2 section. Some of them
>> worked, some don't. I did get two other maps (CF used 5, not 4 last
>> night) for a total of 3 that worked in his server. Still, the only
>> one that worked that was downloaded direct from his server was
>> dm_rats_2005.bsp!
>> It's also frustrating to sit and wait for a small file of less than
>> 10 megs to dl in several minutes when you're used to getting a 5 meg
>> file in a second :(
>> We need better access to the current maps in the rotations.
>>
>> But really, I'd love to know why the version I downloaded from the
>> server is different from the one on that server.
>>
>> McG.
>>

>> <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Elaborate?
>>>
>>> Fra support
>>> http://kortlink.dk/pyn
>>>
>>> Den lange version:
>>> http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.c
>>> fg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=52&p_created=1092282
>>> 809&p_sid=yaHPsjBh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5
>>> PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTgyJnBfcHJvZHM9MCZwX2N
>>> hdHM9MCZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2
>>> VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9bWFwIGRpZmZlc
>>> nMgZnJvbSBzZXJ2ZXI*&p_li=&p_topview=1
>>

> "By our efforts we have lit a fire as well;
> a fire in the minds of men. It warms those
> who feel its power. It burns those who fight
> its progress. And one day this untamed fire
> of freedom will reach the darkest corners of
> our world."
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 6:14:10 AM

Btw came to think of it

Clearing the download folders on the server can sometimes fix the
problem

Folderlist:
...\half-life 2 deathmatch\hl2mp\DownloadLists
...\half-life 2 deathmatch\hl2mp\Downloads

HTH
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 6:15:45 AM

Don't understand McG's problem.. There are 9 happy troops on the
server now kickin' ass...

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 02:51:23 GMT, "Deborah" <yadda@yadda.yadda> wrote:

>Still, I can't say i've had that problem however. Well, not to that extent
>anyways. Maybe there are several different versions of rats by different
>people? It is a popular map. Just a thought, but a guess as well.

"By our efforts we have lit a fire as well;
a fire in the minds of men. It warms those
who feel its power. It burns those who fight
its progress. And one day this untamed fire
of freedom will reach the darkest corners of
our world."
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 6:36:07 AM

"Cannon Fodder" <gonfishn39@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Don't understand McG's problem.. There are 9 happy troops on the
> server now kickin' ass...

I know... I was in there for a while... hunger won though, hadda eat :)
Now to go have another look!
McG.

> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 02:51:23 GMT, "Deborah" <yadda@yadda.yadda> wrote:
>
>> Still, I can't say i've had that problem however. Well, not to that
>> extent anyways. Maybe there are several different versions of rats
>> by different people? It is a popular map. Just a thought, but a
>> guess as well.
>>

> "By our efforts we have lit a fire as well;
> a fire in the minds of men. It warms those
> who feel its power. It burns those who fight
> its progress. And one day this untamed fire
> of freedom will reach the darkest corners of
> our world."
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 6:53:23 AM

I know
Talk with the server admin, it's not dangerous :-)
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 7:00:18 AM

> Glad google is working for ya :)
> It's provided me with a forum info
> overload ;)

Only problem is that you manually must copy text to quote (forgot that)
GG has changed a little within the past few months (IIRC)

You have the main page with the 10 newest articles and a right section
with 10 old but active articles
In OE I needed to scroll up and down in the list just to find some
crazy crossposting

I might miss a lot of stuff, but at least I don't get frustrated
By time I even might consider replacing OE with something else
Though I like OE as I can hold my private email accounts
(gmail/hotmail) with the various NG's within the same program

:-)
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 11:01:10 AM

> Yeah, but I have 4 different NG accounts now.

Only four?
I am connected 6 different newsservers atm
Some of them will discarted in the near future though
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 2:38:09 PM

> Btw came to think of it
>
> Clearing the download folders on the server can sometimes fix the
> problem
>
> Folderlist:
> ..\half-life 2 deathmatch\hl2mp\DownloadLists
> ..\half-life 2 deathmatch\hl2mp\Downloads
>
> HTH

ah, but I'm not the server :)
McG.
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 3:27:13 PM

Why? How much upwidth have you got? I've been getting truly shite pings
from your server. (Not that its stopped me playing...)

Of course, the Atlantic is part of the problem...

Civilian_Target

Jack Harney wrote:
> Servers limit the amount of bandwidth used to DL maps so as not to
> disrupt the game for players already logged on.... Why you're having
> the problem you describe is a mystery to me.... If you DL a map from
> my server it should work on my server... People change the names of
> maps, removing the beta versions for example, which cause problems
> going from server to server....
>
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:41:24 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Hello Peter,
>>
>>I go to get into CF's server and play those cool Rats maps. So, I don't
>>have any installed, and immediately the client starts dl'ing the map
>
>>from the server. A few minutes later, an error dialog pops up with that
>
>>message DISCONNECTED. "Your version of "dm\dm_bathroom.bsp" differs
>
>>from servers"
>
>>And that's the end of being in that server! Of the 4 maps, only one of
>>the server downloads worked, and that was dm_rats_2005.bsp Thing is,
>>I find this happening a LOT on various other servers afterward.
>>So I got a bunch of files from FileFronts HL2 section. Some of them
>>worked, some don't. I did get two other maps (CF used 5, not 4 last
>>night) for a total of 3 that worked in his server. Still, the only one
>>that worked that was downloaded direct from his server was
>>dm_rats_2005.bsp!
>>It's also frustrating to sit and wait for a small file of less than 10
>>megs to dl in several minutes when you're used to getting a 5 meg file
>>in a second :(
>>We need better access to the current maps in the rotations.
>>
>>But really, I'd love to know why the version I downloaded from the
>>server is different from the one on that server.
>>
>>McG.
>>

>><peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Elaborate?
>>>
>>>Fra support
>>>http://kortlink.dk/pyn
>>>
>>>Den lange version:
>>>http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.c
>>>fg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=52&p_created=1092282
>>>809&p_sid=yaHPsjBh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5
>>>PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTgyJnBfcHJvZHM9MCZwX2N
>>>hdHM9MCZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2
>>>VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9bWFwIGRpZmZlc
>>>nMgZnJvbSBzZXJ2ZXI*&p_li=&p_topview=1
>>

> "By our efforts we have lit a fire as well;
> a fire in the minds of men. It warms those
> who feel its power. It burns those who fight
> its progress. And one day this untamed fire
> of freedom will reach the darkest corners of
> our world."
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 3:35:52 PM

> It takes several minutes to DL a map
> from the server, and a few seconds to DL
> maps from FileFront

Setting bandwidth usage limits automatically?
Server admin has the option to set references to another (fast)
download location, like a ftp-site etc

> IF you do use the server to dl a fresh map,
> then why would the game still say the versions
> are different?

Beats me, I got two maps from the server, both worked right out of the
box
But with a ping ~ 600 on the server it's not close to being fun as
you're not able to fight back just a little

Back in the old days IIRC you were able to join server overseas, or?
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 3:43:19 PM

It's a 1500/500 DSL line...

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:27:13 +0000, Civilian_Target
<tadhgp@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>Why? How much upwidth have you got? I've been getting truly shite pings
>from your server. (Not that its stopped me playing...)
>
>Of course, the Atlantic is part of the problem...
>
>Civilian_Target
>
>Jack Harney wrote:
>> Servers limit the amount of bandwidth used to DL maps so as not to
>> disrupt the game for players already logged on.... Why you're having
>> the problem you describe is a mystery to me.... If you DL a map from
>> my server it should work on my server... People change the names of
>> maps, removing the beta versions for example, which cause problems
>> going from server to server....
>>
>> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:41:24 GMT, "McGrandpa"
>> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Hello Peter,
>>>
>>>I go to get into CF's server and play those cool Rats maps. So, I don't
>>>have any installed, and immediately the client starts dl'ing the map
>>
>>>from the server. A few minutes later, an error dialog pops up with that
>>
>>>message DISCONNECTED. "Your version of "dm\dm_bathroom.bsp" differs
>>
>>>from servers"
>>
>>>And that's the end of being in that server! Of the 4 maps, only one of
>>>the server downloads worked, and that was dm_rats_2005.bsp Thing is,
>>>I find this happening a LOT on various other servers afterward.
>>>So I got a bunch of files from FileFronts HL2 section. Some of them
>>>worked, some don't. I did get two other maps (CF used 5, not 4 last
>>>night) for a total of 3 that worked in his server. Still, the only one
>>>that worked that was downloaded direct from his server was
>>>dm_rats_2005.bsp!
>>>It's also frustrating to sit and wait for a small file of less than 10
>>>megs to dl in several minutes when you're used to getting a 5 meg file
>>>in a second :(
>>>We need better access to the current maps in the rotations.
>>>
>>>But really, I'd love to know why the version I downloaded from the
>>>server is different from the one on that server.
>>>
>>>McG.
>>>

>>><peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> "By our efforts we have lit a fire as well;
>> a fire in the minds of men. It warms those
>> who feel its power. It burns those who fight
>> its progress. And one day this untamed fire
>> of freedom will reach the darkest corners of
>> our world."

"By our efforts we have lit a fire as well;
a fire in the minds of men. It warms those
who feel its power. It burns those who fight
its progress. And one day this untamed fire
of freedom will reach the darkest corners of
our world."
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 5:41:23 PM

>> Glad google is working for ya :)
>> It's provided me with a forum info
>> overload ;)
>
> Only problem is that you manually must copy text to quote (forgot
> that) GG has changed a little within the past few months (IIRC)
>
> You have the main page with the 10 newest articles and a right section
> with 10 old but active articles
> In OE I needed to scroll up and down in the list just to find some
> crazy crossposting
>
> I might miss a lot of stuff, but at least I don't get frustrated
> By time I even might consider replacing OE with something else
> Though I like OE as I can hold my private email accounts
> (gmail/hotmail) with the various NG's within the same program
>
> :-)

Yep, that's the one major disadvantage to Agent. Only one account :(
McG.
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 5:43:49 PM

In the Server finder, his maps would show up to 2000 for latency, but
when I got in the maps proper, I was the lowest pinger of the bunch,
usually from 38-79.
McG.

"Civilian_Target" <tadhgp@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Why? How much upwidth have you got? I've been getting truly shite
> pings from your server. (Not that its stopped me playing...)
>
> Of course, the Atlantic is part of the problem...
>
> Civilian_Target
>
> Jack Harney wrote:
>> Servers limit the amount of bandwidth used to DL maps so as not to
>> disrupt the game for players already logged on.... Why you're having
>> the problem you describe is a mystery to me.... If you DL a map from
>> my server it should work on my server... People change the names of
>> maps, removing the beta versions for example, which cause problems
>> going from server to server....
>>
>> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:41:24 GMT, "McGrandpa"
>> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Hello Peter,
>>>
>>> I go to get into CF's server and play those cool Rats maps. So, I
>>> don't have any installed, and immediately the client starts dl'ing
>>> the map
>>
>>> from the server. A few minutes later, an error dialog pops up with
>>> that
>>
>>> message DISCONNECTED. "Your version of "dm\dm_bathroom.bsp" differs
>>
>>> from servers"
>>
>>> And that's the end of being in that server! Of the 4 maps, only
>>> one of the server downloads worked, and that was dm_rats_2005.bsp
>>> Thing is, I find this happening a LOT on various other servers
>>> afterward. So I got a bunch of files from FileFronts HL2 section.
>>> Some of them
>>> worked, some don't. I did get two other maps (CF used 5, not 4 last
>>> night) for a total of 3 that worked in his server. Still, the only
>>> one that worked that was downloaded direct from his server was
>>> dm_rats_2005.bsp!
>>> It's also frustrating to sit and wait for a small file of less than
>>> 10 megs to dl in several minutes when you're used to getting a 5
>>> meg file in a second :(
>>> We need better access to the current maps in the rotations.
>>>
>>> But really, I'd love to know why the version I downloaded from the
>>> server is different from the one on that server.
>>>
>>> McG.
>>>

>>> <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> "By our efforts we have lit a fire as well;
>> a fire in the minds of men. It warms those
>> who feel its power. It burns those who fight
>> its progress. And one day this untamed fire
>> of freedom will reach the darkest corners of
>> our world."
March 26, 2005 5:51:14 PM

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 14:41:23 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>Yep, that's the one major disadvantage to Agent. Only one account :(

The next version is supposed to be getting multiple account support,
although I don't use it for mail, only for Usenet.
March 26, 2005 6:37:52 PM

news:o kta41t6lr44go2ca29mhk4tln2fk96ih1@4ax.com
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 14:41:23 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yep, that's the one major disadvantage to Agent. Only one account :(
>
> The next version is supposed to be getting multiple account support,
> although I don't use it for mail, only for Usenet.

Yeah, but I have 4 different NG accounts now. I don't want to give any
of them up. So I use Agent for all the big stuff and binary ng's. I'm
looking forward to the new version.
McG.
March 26, 2005 7:15:07 PM

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 15:37:52 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>Yeah, but I have 4 different NG accounts now. I don't want to give any
>of them up. So I use Agent for all the big stuff and binary ng's. I'm
>looking forward to the new version.

I can't for the life of me see why you use OE for text groups when
Agent is light years ahead, but whatever floats your boat :-)
March 28, 2005 6:25:13 AM

Heh - I have a meg. How much of a PC do you need for a HL2 server?

Civilian_Target

Cannon Fodder wrote:
> It's a 1500/500 DSL line...
>
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:27:13 +0000, Civilian_Target
> <tadhgp@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>

>>Why? How much upwidth have you got? I've been getting truly shite pings
>
>>from your server. (Not that its stopped me playing...)
>
>>Of course, the Atlantic is part of the problem...
>>
>>Civilian_Target
>>
>>Jack Harney wrote:
>>
>>>Servers limit the amount of bandwidth used to DL maps so as not to
>>>disrupt the game for players already logged on.... Why you're having
>>>the problem you describe is a mystery to me.... If you DL a map from
>>>my server it should work on my server... People change the names of
>>>maps, removing the beta versions for example, which cause problems
>>>going from server to server....

>>> "By our efforts we have lit a fire as well;
>>> a fire in the minds of men. It warms those
>>> who feel its power. It burns those who fight
>>> its progress. And one day this untamed fire
>>> of freedom will reach the darkest corners of
>>> our world."
>

> "By our efforts we have lit a fire as well;
> a fire in the minds of men. It warms those
> who feel its power. It burns those who fight
> its progress. And one day this untamed fire
> of freedom will reach the darkest corners of
> our world."
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 6:25:14 AM

Thank ya'll for showing up for the bash today... rat and I had a good
time... That's the last one I'll offer to host...

Ya don't need much... I use a 2 gig chip with 512 MB ram... Nothing
else matters for the server... You could probably use a slower CPU
than that.... I ran the HL server with an 800.... Didn't run any
better with the 2 gig....

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 02:25:13 +0100, Civilian_Target
<tadhgp@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>Heh - I have a meg. How much of a PC do you need for a HL2 server?
>
>Civilian_Target
>
>Cannon Fodder wrote:
>> It's a 1500/500 DSL line...
>>
>> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:27:13 +0000, Civilian_Target
>> <tadhgp@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Why? How much upwidth have you got? I've been getting truly shite pings
>>
>>>from your server. (Not that its stopped me playing...)
>>
>>>Of course, the Atlantic is part of the problem...
>>>
>>>Civilian_Target

>> "By our efforts we have lit a fire as well;
>> a fire in the minds of men. It warms those
>> who feel its power. It burns those who fight
>> its progress. And one day this untamed fire
>> of freedom will reach the darkest corners of
>> our world."

"By our efforts we have lit a fire as well;
a fire in the minds of men. It warms those
who feel its power. It burns those who fight
its progress. And one day this untamed fire
of freedom will reach the darkest corners of
our world."
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 1:14:44 AM

Cannon Fodder wrote:
> Thank ya'll for showing up for the bash today... rat and I had a good
> time... That's the last one I'll offer to host...

Gah! I completely forgot about the bash! Today is a bank holiday so I
headed down to the pub yesterday evening, completely forgetting that
there may have been a bash...

Civilian_Target
March 29, 2005 7:31:58 PM

Cannon Fodder wrote:
> Thank ya'll for showing up for the bash today... rat and I had a good
> time... That's the last one I'll offer to host...

I think you'll find that any old regs have all been bitched and pimped
by their new World of Warcraft MMORPG.
Any conversations I've had with them have not been anything
HL2\HL2DM\CS:S related.

They are lost to us now. :-\

With enough warning I can get a DM server on our dedicated server box on
a cable 10M\1M connection. I got a pretty good in with the cable guy as
it's mostly my parts in the server I built. :-)
I'd need to get the maps list and downloads to the server.

I was going to try and get to the bash but since I didn't read my
newsgroups on the weekend I missed all the talk.
Shoot me an email below and I can send you my real one if you want to
organize another.

Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com
March 29, 2005 7:33:40 PM

peter.aghl@gmail.com wrote:

> Btw Google Groups is working very well :-)

I found a free newsgroup which you can also post too.
news.sisna.com

Seems to capture all the messages.
--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com
March 29, 2005 7:35:38 PM

McGrandpa wrote:
> "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
> news:o kta41t6lr44go2ca29mhk4tln2fk96ih1@4ax.com
>
>>On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 14:41:23 GMT, "McGrandpa"
>><McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Yep, that's the one major disadvantage to Agent. Only one account :(
>>
>>The next version is supposed to be getting multiple account support,
>>although I don't use it for mail, only for Usenet.
>

> Yeah, but I have 4 different NG accounts now. I don't want to give any
> of them up. So I use Agent for all the big stuff and binary ng's. I'm
> looking forward to the new version.
> McG.

Have you tried Thunderbird? Just like the old Nutscrape news group\email
reader.
Built by the Mozilla crowd.

--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 3:10:19 AM

"Jethro" <me@work.now> wrote in message
> Cannon Fodder wrote:
>> Thank ya'll for showing up for the bash today... rat and I had a good
>> time... That's the last one I'll offer to host...
>>

> I think you'll find that any old regs have all been bitched and pimped
> by their new World of Warcraft MMORPG.
> Any conversations I've had with them have not been anything
> HL2\HL2DM\CS:S related.
>
> They are lost to us now. :-\
>
> With enough warning I can get a DM server on our dedicated server box
> on a cable 10M\1M connection. I got a pretty good in with the cable
> guy as it's mostly my parts in the server I built. :-)
> I'd need to get the maps list and downloads to the server.
>
> I was going to try and get to the bash but since I didn't read my
> newsgroups on the weekend I missed all the talk.
> Shoot me an email below and I can send you my real one if you want to
> organize another.

I got all the maps in his rotation now. still don't know for sure why
they were corrupted dl'ing from the server...two weren't, three were. I
DID try to get in....but didn't have that one map yet. Got it later.
:(
You mighta hit the nail on the head too. Most of the old regs that used
to bash are into WoW now and not even gonna sneak out for an HL2DM bash
fer ol times sake.
And me a noob to em :o \ But hey, if there's another, I'm in.
McG.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 3:11:47 AM

> McGrandpa wrote:
>> "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
>> news:o kta41t6lr44go2ca29mhk4tln2fk96ih1@4ax.com

>>> The next version is supposed to be getting multiple account support,
>>> although I don't use it for mail, only for Usenet.
>>

>> Yeah, but I have 4 different NG accounts now. I don't want to give
>> any of them up. So I use Agent for all the big stuff and binary
>> ng's. I'm looking forward to the new version.
>> McG.
>>

> Have you tried Thunderbird? Just like the old Nutscrape news
> group\email reader.
> Built by the Mozilla crowd.

I got it. Like OE better tho for email. I like Agent a LOT for all the
binary ng's.
McG.
March 30, 2005 1:42:50 PM

McGrandpa wrote:
> "Jethro" <me@work.now> wrote in message
>
>>McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>>>"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
>>>news:o kta41t6lr44go2ca29mhk4tln2fk96ih1@4ax.com

>>>Yeah, but I have 4 different NG accounts now. I don't want to give
>>>any of them up. So I use Agent for all the big stuff and binary
>>>ng's. I'm looking forward to the new version.
>>>McG.
>>>

>>Have you tried Thunderbird? Just like the old Nutscrape news
>>group\email reader.
>>Built by the Mozilla crowd.
>

> I got it. Like OE better tho for email. I like Agent a LOT for all the
> binary ng's.
> McG.

Well then run all 3. :-)
I use OE for email only, use thunderbird for email and newsgroups and
have used Agent for binaries.
I'm sure you have enough space\processing power to run another app. :-)

--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 3:23:52 PM

<peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Btw came to think of it
>
> Clearing the download folders on the server can sometimes fix the
> problem
>
> Folderlist:
> ..\half-life 2 deathmatch\hl2mp\DownloadLists
> ..\half-life 2 deathmatch\hl2mp\Downloads
>
> HTH

Right, it didn't matter about the client end :)  But that would have
given everyone a corrupt map wouldn't it?
McG.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 2:08:42 AM

> McGrandpa wrote:
>> "Jethro" <me@work.now> wrote in message

>>> Have you tried Thunderbird? Just like the old Nutscrape news
>>> group\email reader.
>>> Built by the Mozilla crowd.
>>

>> I got it. Like OE better tho for email. I like Agent a LOT for all
>> the binary ng's.
>> McG.
>>

> Well then run all 3. :-)
> I use OE for email only, use thunderbird for email and newsgroups and
> have used Agent for binaries.
> I'm sure you have enough space\processing power to run another app.
> :-)

Well yeah...and the ram to run it in ;)
McG.
March 31, 2005 3:59:57 AM

Jethro wrote:

> I use OE for email only, use thunderbird for email and newsgroups and
> have used Agent for binaries.
> I'm sure you have enough space\processing power to run another app. :-)

Hiya Jethro - hope you dont mind me poking my nose in. Using Outlook
for mail and Thunderbird for NG's. I like TB but it does keep
forgetting my sign-in details and asking me for them (not at start-up
but during use) so I've also recently tried the google beta and (last
night) Agent.

I know Agent needs a lot of tweaking (and I'm not sure I want to bother
- horrible looking user interface) but you have me intrigued - you use
it for binaries? On first look binaries is what is putting me off more
than the interface. First I have to double-click to download each
message and then launch each binary in another program - slow as hell
and not the way I like working - do you have some settings that help you
in this? Can you help me out?

As so many rave about the program I'd like to give it a chance. Ta.

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.

> Jethro wrote:
>
>> I use OE for email only, use thunderbird for email and newsgroups and
>> have used Agent for binaries.
>> I'm sure you have enough space\processing power to run another app.
>> :-)
>
> Hiya Jethro - hope you dont mind me poking my nose in. Using Outlook
> for mail and Thunderbird for NG's. I like TB but it does keep
> forgetting my sign-in details and asking me for them (not at start-up
> but during use) so I've also recently tried the google beta and (last
> night) Agent.
>
> I know Agent needs a lot of tweaking (and I'm not sure I want to
> bother - horrible looking user interface) but you have me intrigued -
> you use it for binaries? On first look binaries is what is putting
> me off more than the interface. First I have to double-click to
> download each message and then launch each binary in another program
> - slow as hell and not the way I like working - do you have some
> settings that help you in this? Can you help me out?
>
> As so many rave about the program I'd like to give it a chance. Ta.

In Agent, max the message list screen, then go thru and select then
'delete' all you don't want. When you got it where you have just what
you want, CTRL A to select all, then DOWNLOAD. I hope you'd picked a
good location for all downloaded bodies. I just use D:\NEW and sort
later. With images I weed thru with PSP. You could use iRfanview or
whatever. Good way to collect images, movies, music.
There will be some that Agent can't automatically join, you have to
select the parts then Join manually. Most of the time, Agent does this
well.
There is a lot to tweak and set up in Agent. But once you do, it's very
good. I have yet to find anything that handles the binaries better (in
the way I like).
McG.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 5:45:00 AM

Nah, ya don't have to do that.... Just sort them the way you want,
hold down the CTL key, left click on the ones you want to keep, right
click and hit save all attachments... You can then launch them with
the rocket in the tool bar or move them to another folder...

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 01:10:17 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
>> Jethro wrote:
>>
>>> I use OE for email only, use thunderbird for email and newsgroups and
>>> have used Agent for binaries.
>>> I'm sure you have enough space\processing power to run another app.
>>> :-)
>>
>> Hiya Jethro - hope you dont mind me poking my nose in. Using Outlook
>> for mail and Thunderbird for NG's. I like TB but it does keep
>> forgetting my sign-in details and asking me for them (not at start-up
>> but during use) so I've also recently tried the google beta and (last
>> night) Agent.
>>
>> I know Agent needs a lot of tweaking (and I'm not sure I want to
>> bother - horrible looking user interface) but you have me intrigued -
>> you use it for binaries? On first look binaries is what is putting
>> me off more than the interface. First I have to double-click to
>> download each message and then launch each binary in another program
>> - slow as hell and not the way I like working - do you have some
>> settings that help you in this? Can you help me out?
>>
>> As so many rave about the program I'd like to give it a chance. Ta.
>
>In Agent, max the message list screen, then go thru and select then
>'delete' all you don't want. When you got it where you have just what
>you want, CTRL A to select all, then DOWNLOAD. I hope you'd picked a
>good location for all downloaded bodies. I just use D:\NEW and sort
>later. With images I weed thru with PSP. You could use iRfanview or
>whatever. Good way to collect images, movies, music.
>There will be some that Agent can't automatically join, you have to
>select the parts then Join manually. Most of the time, Agent does this
>well.
>There is a lot to tweak and set up in Agent. But once you do, it's very
>good. I have yet to find anything that handles the binaries better (in
>the way I like).
>McG.

"By our efforts we have lit a fire as well;
a fire in the minds of men. It warms those
who feel its power. It burns those who fight
its progress. And one day this untamed fire
of freedom will reach the darkest corners of
our world."
March 31, 2005 1:50:29 PM

Cannon Fodder wrote:
> Nah, ya don't have to do that.... Just sort them the way you want,
> hold down the CTL key, left click on the ones you want to keep, right
> click and hit save all attachments... You can then launch them with
> the rocket in the tool bar or move them to another folder...
>
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 01:10:17 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message

>>>Hiya Jethro - hope you dont mind me poking my nose in. Using Outlook
>>>for mail and Thunderbird for NG's. I like TB but it does keep
>>>forgetting my sign-in details and asking me for them (not at start-up
>>>but during use) so I've also recently tried the google beta and (last
>>>night) Agent.
>>>
>>>I know Agent needs a lot of tweaking (and I'm not sure I want to
>>>bother - horrible looking user interface) but you have me intrigued -
>>>you use it for binaries? On first look binaries is what is putting
>>>me off more than the interface. First I have to double-click to
>>>download each message and then launch each binary in another program
>>>- slow as hell and not the way I like working - do you have some
>>>settings that help you in this? Can you help me out?
>>>
>>>As so many rave about the program I'd like to give it a chance. Ta.
>>
>>In Agent, max the message list screen, then go thru and select then
>>'delete' all you don't want. When you got it where you have just what
>>you want, CTRL A to select all, then DOWNLOAD. I hope you'd picked a
>>good location for all downloaded bodies. I just use D:\NEW and sort
>>later. With images I weed thru with PSP. You could use iRfanview or
>>whatever. Good way to collect images, movies, music.
>>There will be some that Agent can't automatically join, you have to
>>select the parts then Join manually. Most of the time, Agent does this
>>well.
>>There is a lot to tweak and set up in Agent. But once you do, it's very
>>good. I have yet to find anything that handles the binaries better (in
>>the way I like).
>>McG.

Thanks both. I'll take a look tonight.

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.
You don't think it might be better if you worked your way toward lion
taming, say, via banking...
March 31, 2005 6:31:28 PM

Shawk wrote:
<helpful stuff snipped>

> Thanks both. I'll take a look tonight.

Ya what they said. :-)
Binaries are hard to do in newsgroups as they get all split up into
sections to make an RAR file which is the piece of the larger download.

From the rare binaires I've gotten from newsgroup, Agent automatically
will show the parts in groups and a right click download will grab all
the pieces together.
Much cleaner wasy to go as McG and CF will attest too.

--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com
April 1, 2005 2:47:48 AM

Jethro wrote:
> Shawk wrote:
> <helpful stuff snipped>
>

>> Thanks both. I'll take a look tonight.
>>

> Ya what they said. :-)
> Binaries are hard to do in newsgroups as they get all split up into
> sections to make an RAR file which is the piece of the larger download.
>
> From the rare binaires I've gotten from newsgroup, Agent automatically
> will show the parts in groups and a right click download will grab all
> the pieces together.
> Much cleaner wasy to go as McG and CF will attest too.

Didn't get chance tonight - pub was calling - have to play the weekend -
probably for the best seeing all the options there is to play with :-)

--
!