ARM Reveals 8-Core GPU For Superphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]this is very good news... how is it that mobile cpus are able to support dx11 yet consoles aren't?...this really boggles my mind[/citation]
um what? really? i cant tell if your being serious...you realize consoles have been out since 2005 right? that was before dx10 came out

ltdementhial

Aug 20, 2011
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]Can I run folding@home on it?[/citation]

yes you can...even maybe Crysis.

on topic this is very good news a new competitor is emergin in both cpu and gpu market...altough this competitor has been around for a while they don't compete like VIA for example...ARM is doing what AMD took 30 years in just 4 if you start counting on the Smartphone era begining.

Now the serious of this is that in a couple years event months we may be seeing ARM on both Best Graphic Card & Best CPU for the money benchmark's competing with AMD CPU's, AMD GPU's, Intel and Nvidia. ill just wait to when i got my son his Superphone and tell him how we have to run Frostbite-Like graphics on $3k PC's when he will using an $200 phone.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Looking at the specification over at ARM, it does look like they take the term "desktop class" performance seriously. And this is still only meant for a mobile GPU being part of a SoC spec'ed to sub-2W average power consumption and 5W max.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]20 minutes standby, 10 talk time, 3 minutes web surfing, 1 minute video playback[/citation]

This is not Intel. It is ARM. Regardless of the ever increasing CPU and GPU capability, it is still today and will be in the future the screen that will take up the vast majority of the power consumption.

G

Yes it will run crysis. Incredible.. Though it might need wine through Linux support ? Dx 11 emulation on Android? man imagine the possibilities....

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
What's annoying is that there are NO benchmarks here in this article, and no other data comparing these weak little toy GPUs to the big dogs. Modern GPUs in laptops, tablets, and desktops already have hundreds of cores... Literally, hundreds.

And this article doesn't even mention clock speeds or memory bandwidths...

ARM bringing an 8-core GPU to the market is just like Nvidia or AMD producing a new one marketed as "The Penny" or "One Single Cent". 1/100th the graphics power of existing tech? Pathetic.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ltdementhial[/nom]yes you can...even maybe Crysis.on topic this is very good news a new competitor is emergin in both cpu and gpu market...altough this competitor has been around for a while they don't compete like VIA for example...ARM is doing what AMD took 30 years in just 4 if you start counting on the Smartphone era begining.Now the serious of this is that in a couple years event months we may be seeing ARM on both Best Graphic Card & Best CPU for the money benchmark's competing with AMD CPU's, AMD GPU's, Intel and Nvidia. ill just wait to when i got my son his Superphone and tell him how we have to run Frostbite-Like graphics on $3k PC's when he will using an $200 phone.[/citation]

to get a phone for 200$ you have to spend 3500~ over the coarse of 2 years.

[citation][nom]saturnus[/nom]Looking at the specification over at ARM, it does look like they take the term "desktop class" performance seriously. And this is still only meant for a mobile GPU being part of a SoC spec'ed to sub-2W average power consumption and 5W max.[/citation]

integrated is technically desktop class

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i forgot to mention this,

no current gpu can take full advantage of dx11 without crapping itself, just because this is able to run it, doesn't mean it will run it well.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Flinstone66790[/nom]Yes it will run crysis. Incredible.. Though it might need wine through Linux support ? Dx 11 emulation on Android? man imagine the possibilities....[/citation]

Well first you need to recompile Crysis to the ARM instruction set.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
DX11 on a ARM gpu is marketing gimmick. I mean what diff does it make if it can support DX 11 if it isn't going to be able to run any setting details beyond low. Hell many, midrange gpu's have a hard enough time with DX 11 setting details on meduim that are a lot more powerful let any ARM GPU is.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I love the use of the "desktop-level graphics" as if DirectX support is all that's needed to equal what you can get on good gaming PCs. Glad to know that the graphics in a netbook's AMD C-30 (a Radeon 6250) are "desktop-level" every bit as much as that 6990!

The problem here, though, is I've had a hard time figuring out just what a "core" is... I do know that PowerVR's MP series uses multiple "cores" that is slightly wasteful given the redundant silicon vs. a single-core, multi-SP chip. (it's a tradeoff in exchange for easier scalability) If the above diagram is any indicator, then perhaps each "Core" consists of 4 shader units, which means an 8-core GPU has 32 stream processors... Not exactly impressive compared to a PC, or even really a netbook, but should be fine for a phone, since that puts it on a par with a PSV or 3DS. (this 4-per-core matches with the figures suggested for this chip's predecessor, which tops out at 4 cores)

Of course, a bigger question will be its memory bandwidth; that's a spot Sony's and Nintendo's handhelds thrash phones, which have to rely on much-slower RAM to focus on conserving power when NOT gaming.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Well, of course you won't be running desktop games on it.

Windows 8 is out in a year and a half or so, i think this is preparation for that. Mobile games would have more efficient DX11 code i suppose, or very limited use of it.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I was about to ask how, then it occurred to me that they'd probably do 640*480 or something like that, so maybe not that much of a big deal. Though I doubt they'd be using Tesselation!

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]um what? really? i cant tell if your being serious...you realize consoles have been out since 2005 right? that was before dx10 came out[/citation]
ok, i see your point but they can still upgrade the hardware, microsoft and sony have changed some hardware since they launched their consoles, but why not got a little farther and actually improve them?

Status
Not open for further replies.