MK1031GAS / quiet or silent notebook hard drive

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Does anyone have any information on availability of the Toshiba MK1031GAS
hard drive? I have tried contacting Toshiba, but the people who answer
their phones do not know or do not return calls or emails.

Although its claim to fame for most people will be its large size, I am
interested in the MK1031GAS harddrive for its low level of heat and quiet /
silent operation with minimal noise.

Does anyone have any alternative recommendations?
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article157-page2.html claims that the Fujitsu
MHT2040AT is "virtually inaudible" . I had tried the Fujitsu MHT2080AT but
found that it produced a high-pitched whine that I found even more annoying
than the otherwise noisier Fujitsu MHT2080AH that came with my nc8000
notebook computer.

Thanks,
Karl
4 answers Last reply
More about mk1031gas quiet silent notebook hard drive
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Karl Magdono" <km@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have any information on availability of the Toshiba MK1031GAS
    > hard drive? I have tried contacting Toshiba, but the people who answer
    > their phones do not know or do not return calls or emails.
    >
    > Although its claim to fame for most people will be its large size, I am
    > interested in the MK1031GAS harddrive for its low level of heat and quiet
    /
    > silent operation with minimal noise.
    >
    > Does anyone have any alternative recommendations?
    > http://www.silentpcreview.com/article157-page2.html claims that the
    Fujitsu
    > MHT2040AT is "virtually inaudible" . I had tried the Fujitsu MHT2080AT
    but
    > found that it produced a high-pitched whine that I found even more
    annoying
    > than the otherwise noisier Fujitsu MHT2080AH that came with my nc8000
    > notebook computer.

    Why not try the Toshiba MK5024GAY?

    It is a 7200rpm drive with 16MB cache.
    Superb performance and virtually inaudible.

    Why would you want to use such a slow drive
    as the MK1031GAS?

    dk
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Karl Magdono <km@nospam.nospam> writes:
    > Although its claim to fame for most people will be its large size, I am
    > interested in the MK1031GAS harddrive for its low level of heat and quiet /
    > silent operation with minimal noise.

    All the Toshiba GAS series drives are very quiet. I'd expect their
    noise levels to be similar. zipzoomfly.com sells some of them, but
    not the particular one you listed.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    I am not familiar with that model, but now I only use Toshiba drives.
    They are fast and reliable

    On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:21:15 -0500, Karl Magdono <km@nospam.nospam>
    wrote:

    >Does anyone have any information on availability of the Toshiba MK1031GAS
    >hard drive? I have tried contacting Toshiba, but the people who answer
    >their phones do not know or do not return calls or emails.
    >
    >Although its claim to fame for most people will be its large size, I am
    >interested in the MK1031GAS harddrive for its low level of heat and quiet /
    >silent operation with minimal noise.
    >
    >Does anyone have any alternative recommendations?
    >http://www.silentpcreview.com/article157-page2.html claims that the Fujitsu
    >MHT2040AT is "virtually inaudible" . I had tried the Fujitsu MHT2080AT but
    >found that it produced a high-pitched whine that I found even more annoying
    >than the otherwise noisier Fujitsu MHT2080AH that came with my nc8000
    >notebook computer.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Karl
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    On 05 Aug 2004, you wrote in comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage:
    > Why not try the Toshiba MK5024GAY?
    >
    > It is a 7200rpm drive with 16MB cache.
    > Superb performance and virtually inaudible.
    >
    > Why would you want to use such a slow drive
    > as the MK1031GAS?
    >

    > dk

    For some reason I get annoyed at even minimal harddrive noise. The
    MK5024GAY is actually relatively noisy with a 27 dBA average acoustic noise
    level (see
    http://sdd.toshiba.com/localcache/8200000013a20000061f0000000100000000.pdf
    ). By comparison, the MK1031GAS is supposed to be only 21 dB (
    http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2004_04/pr2201.htm ). I think that
    should be a lot less noisy.

    Since my post, one distributor told me he thought Toshiba was still giving
    their full supply to notebook manufacturers, but he thought they would be
    available by the end of August.

    Thanks for your post!

Fujitsu Hard Drives Storage