MK1031GAS / quiet or silent notebook hard drive

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
August 5, 2004 9:21:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Does anyone have any information on availability of the Toshiba MK1031GAS
hard drive? I have tried contacting Toshiba, but the people who answer
their phones do not know or do not return calls or emails.

Although its claim to fame for most people will be its large size, I am
interested in the MK1031GAS harddrive for its low level of heat and quiet /
silent operation with minimal noise.

Does anyone have any alternative recommendations?
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article157-page2.html claims that the Fujitsu
MHT2040AT is "virtually inaudible" . I had tried the Fujitsu MHT2080AT but
found that it produced a high-pitched whine that I found even more annoying
than the otherwise noisier Fujitsu MHT2080AH that came with my nc8000
notebook computer.

Thanks,
Karl
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 5, 2004 11:01:10 PM

"Karl Magdono" <km@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Does anyone have any information on availability of the Toshiba MK1031GAS
> hard drive? I have tried contacting Toshiba, but the people who answer
> their phones do not know or do not return calls or emails.
>
> Although its claim to fame for most people will be its large size, I am
> interested in the MK1031GAS harddrive for its low level of heat and quiet
/
> silent operation with minimal noise.
>
> Does anyone have any alternative recommendations?
> http://www.silentpcreview.com/article157-page2.html claims that the
Fujitsu
> MHT2040AT is "virtually inaudible" . I had tried the Fujitsu MHT2080AT
but
> found that it produced a high-pitched whine that I found even more
annoying
> than the otherwise noisier Fujitsu MHT2080AH that came with my nc8000
> notebook computer.

Why not try the Toshiba MK5024GAY?

It is a 7200rpm drive with 16MB cache.
Superb performance and virtually inaudible.

Why would you want to use such a slow drive
as the MK1031GAS?

dk
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 6, 2004 12:34:04 AM

Karl Magdono <km@nospam.nospam> writes:
> Although its claim to fame for most people will be its large size, I am
> interested in the MK1031GAS harddrive for its low level of heat and quiet /
> silent operation with minimal noise.

All the Toshiba GAS series drives are very quiet. I'd expect their
noise levels to be similar. zipzoomfly.com sells some of them, but
not the particular one you listed.
a b G Storage
August 6, 2004 6:01:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I am not familiar with that model, but now I only use Toshiba drives.
They are fast and reliable

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:21:15 -0500, Karl Magdono <km@nospam.nospam>
wrote:

>Does anyone have any information on availability of the Toshiba MK1031GAS
>hard drive? I have tried contacting Toshiba, but the people who answer
>their phones do not know or do not return calls or emails.
>
>Although its claim to fame for most people will be its large size, I am
>interested in the MK1031GAS harddrive for its low level of heat and quiet /
>silent operation with minimal noise.
>
>Does anyone have any alternative recommendations?
>http://www.silentpcreview.com/article157-page2.html claims that the Fujitsu
>MHT2040AT is "virtually inaudible" . I had tried the Fujitsu MHT2080AT but
>found that it produced a high-pitched whine that I found even more annoying
>than the otherwise noisier Fujitsu MHT2080AH that came with my nc8000
>notebook computer.
>
>Thanks,
>Karl
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 13, 2004 11:30:55 PM

On 05 Aug 2004, you wrote in comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage:
> Why not try the Toshiba MK5024GAY?
>
> It is a 7200rpm drive with 16MB cache.
> Superb performance and virtually inaudible.
>
> Why would you want to use such a slow drive
> as the MK1031GAS?
>

> dk

For some reason I get annoyed at even minimal harddrive noise. The
MK5024GAY is actually relatively noisy with a 27 dBA average acoustic noise
level (see
http://sdd.toshiba.com/localcache/8200000013a20000061f0...
). By comparison, the MK1031GAS is supposed to be only 21 dB (
http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2004_04/pr2201.htm ). I think that
should be a lot less noisy.

Since my post, one distributor told me he thought Toshiba was still giving
their full supply to notebook manufacturers, but he thought they would be
available by the end of August.

Thanks for your post!
!