Browse incomplete PQI file

Joop

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2002

I have tried to make an image of a partition, using Drive Image
version 5.0

The process of making an image broke down because of a "checksum
error".
Therefore, Drive Image never reached the end, where it (I presume)
usually writes some "closing bits" it will look for during
reconstruction/unpacking/browsing

Yet it had produced a .pqi file of some 175 MB

Since I have, in the meantime, lost access to the entire partition, I
would like to browse these 175 MB, to see whether I can recover some
valuable files.
Chances are that there is quite some information there, if I only
could access/browse it.

However, both when running the Dos version of Drive Image, or the
ImageExplorer in Windows, it keeps asking for the the last CD of the
image.
So it apparently is looking for these 'closing bits".

Is there a way to access and browse the incomplete image file?

"Joop" <jklijnREMOVE@avb.myadsl.nl> wrote in message news:uhcch059434tf8kdgp3io1ajqtso6fc9ih@4ax.com
> I have tried to make an image of a partition, using Drive Image
> version 5.0
>
> The process of making an image broke down because of a "checksum
> error".

Aha, another piece of malware.

> Therefore, Drive Image never reached the end, where it (I presume)
> usually writes some "closing bits" it will look for during
> reconstruction/unpacking/browsing
>
> Yet it had produced a .pqi file of some 175 MB
>
> Since I have, in the meantime, lost access to the entire partition, I
> would like to browse these 175 MB,

Why not restore access to the partition instead

> to see whether I can recover some valuable files.

and then there is no need to recover anything.

> Chances are that there is quite some information there, if I only
> could access/browse it.
>
> However, both when running the Dos version of Drive Image, or the
> ImageExplorer in Windows, it keeps asking for the the last CD of
> the image. So it apparently is looking for these 'closing bits".
>
> Is there a way to access and browse the incomplete image file?

joeP

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message

> "Joop" <jklijnREMOVE@avb.myadsl.nl> wrote in message
> > I have tried to make an image of a partition, using Drive Image
> > version 5.0
> >
> > The process of making an image broke down because of a "checksum
> > error".
>
> Aha, another piece of malware.

Stumper.

--
Joep

Joop

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2002

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 10:01:45 +0200, "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e
c o v e r y . n l> wrote:

>"Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
>>
>> "Joop" <jklijnREMOVE@avb.myadsl.nl> wrote in message
>> > I have tried to make an image of a partition, using Drive Image
>> > version 5.0
>> >
>> > The process of making an image broke down because of a "checksum
>> > error".
>>
>> Aha, another piece of malware.
>
>Stumper.

Are there any people out there with constructive comments?
JK

"Joop" <jklijnREMOVE@avb.myadsl.nl> wrote in message news:pmceh0d8bsqftpf36ug6d8ql3rdan1ab68@4ax.com
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 10:01:45 +0200, "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> wrote:

> > > Aha, another piece of malware.
> >
> > Stumper.
>

> Are there any people out there with constructive comments?

Maybe there are, but when poster can't bother to come back and answer
2 simple questions or even say thanks after someone took quite a bit of
time to help him out and educate him, on an earlier post of his, maybe,
just maybe, poster then doesn't *deserve* to get "constructive comments".

> JK

Joop

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2002

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 14:37:46 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra"
<see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:

>"Joop" <jklijnREMOVE@avb.myadsl.nl> wrote in message news:pmceh0d8bsqftpf36ug6d8ql3rdan1ab68@4ax.com

>> > Stumper.
>>

>> Are there any people out there with constructive comments?
>
>Maybe there are, but when poster can't bother to come back and answer
>2 simple questions or even say thanks after someone took quite a bit of
>time to help him out and educate him, on an earlier post of his, maybe,
>just maybe, poster then doesn't *deserve* to get "constructive comments".
>
>> JK

When I klick on: send a reply by e-mail, I get the following address:
folkertdotrienstra@freeler.nl

I translated that to read folkert.rienstra@freeler.nl

That is the address I sent you an extensive answer to on August 3rd
about the posting you refer to

Have you maybe changed your e-mailadress recently and forgot to
correct your newsreader?
JK

"Joop" <jklijnREMOVE@avb.myadsl.nl> wrote in message news:poseh0pm3memej79ocousk2fc4m52ufgu1@4ax.com
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 14:37:46 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:

>>> Are there any people out there with constructive comments?
>>
>> Maybe there are, but when poster can't bother to come back and answer
>> 2 simple questions or even say thanks after someone took quite a bit of
>> time to help him out and educate him, on an earlier post of his, maybe,
>> just maybe, poster then doesn't *deserve* to get "constructive comments".
>>
>>> JK
>
> When I klick on: send a reply by e-mail, I get the following address:
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> I translated that to read xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And why do you think that that was concealed for?
Guess what you just did: You posted a valid email address for every
spammer to see.

> That is the address I sent you an extensive answer to on August 3rd
> about the posting you refer to

I haven't seen it and neither did I ask you to do that.
It is even considered impolite to do that.

I did get an email message from Spam Weasel yesterday though, saying:

18:23:18 Rule "Check header for matches listed in 'Likely Spam Markers'"
msg013f1 remote@isp.server postmaster Is dit een goed e-mailadres?
meaning that Spam Weasel considered it to be 'likely spam'.
I take it that that came from you too?

And on further checking a bunch of Spam Weasel logfiles I found
22:08:06 Rule "Check header for matches listed in 'Likely Spam Markers'"
msg013b4 remote@isp.server postmaster HD 1024 cyl

18:23:21 Rule "Check header for matches listed in 'Likely Spam Markers'"
msg013f7 remote@isp.server postmaster Browse incomplete PQI file?

I will guess that Forte 'Stupid' Agent is using my sender address in it's
reply header. That is one of my spam markers.
I used OE to reply to my messages and it doesn't do that (well, at least
it doesn't on the saved message).

> Have you maybe changed your e-mailadress recently and forgot to
> correct your newsreader?

Because of your braindead action I now have to. Thanks a lot.

Folkert Rienstra wrote:

> "Joop" <jklijnREMOVE@avb.myadsl.nl> wrote in message news:poseh0pm3memej79ocousk2fc4m52ufgu1@4ax.com

> >> Maybe there are, but when poster can't bother to come back and answer
> >> 2 simple questions or even say thanks after someone took quite a bit of
> >> time to help him out and educate him, on an earlier post of his, maybe,
> >> just maybe, poster then doesn't *deserve* to get "constructive comments".

> > When I klick on: send a reply by e-mail, I get the following address:
> > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > I translated that to read xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> And why do you think that that was concealed for?
> Guess what you just did: You posted a valid email address for every
> spammer to see.
>

> > That is the address I sent you an extensive answer to on August 3rd
> > about the posting you refer to
>
> I haven't seen it and neither did I ask you to do that.
> It is even considered impolite to do that.
>
> I did get an email message from Spam Weasel yesterday though, saying:
>
> 18:23:18 Rule "Check header for matches listed in 'Likely Spam Markers'"
> msg013f1 remote@isp.server postmaster Is dit een goed e-mailadres?
> meaning that Spam Weasel considered it to be 'likely spam'.
> I take it that that came from you too?
>
> And on further checking a bunch of Spam Weasel logfiles I found
> 22:08:06 Rule "Check header for matches listed in 'Likely Spam Markers'"
> msg013b4 remote@isp.server postmaster HD 1024 cyl
>
> 18:23:21 Rule "Check header for matches listed in 'Likely Spam Markers'"
> msg013f7 remote@isp.server postmaster Browse incomplete PQI file?
>
> I will guess that Forte 'Stupid' Agent is using my sender address in it's
> reply header. That is one of my spam markers.
> I used OE to reply to my messages and it doesn't do that (well, at least
> it doesn't on the saved message).
>

> > Have you maybe changed your e-mailadress recently and forgot to
> > correct your newsreader?
>
> Because of your braindead action I now have to. Thanks a lot.
>
> > JK

Hello, Folkert:

My mail server receives hundreds of spam e-mails, daily. I use
MailWasher (a freeware program) to delete them, right at the source, so
I don't even need to download any of the junk. "Spam Weasel" seems very
similar, but I've been quite happy with MailWasher, for over a year,
now.

Plus, its author is based in Australia -- land of your "idol," the
erstwhile Rod Speed! <g>

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

PS: You see, >I< didn't expose your "Reply-To" address, did I? :-J

maybe you 2 need to open a new thread on email handlers instead of
wasting posts here and not even trying to answer the origianl
question (which is why I came here because I have a similar problem)

DickXP666 wrote:

> maybe you 2 need to open a new thread on email handlers instead of
> wasting posts here and not even trying to answer the origianl
> question (which is why I came here because I have a similar problem)

Hello, Dick:

Folkert Rienstra did just that, 'way back on 8-15-04. Look up "OT: Re:
Browse incomplete PQI file," on Google Groups <http://groups.google.com>.