Please recommend data recovery tool

I have a drive that shows up in the bios and spins. When placed in a
machine with a good drive and good O/S it slows the machine startup
down for what seems to be an eternity. When XP finally comes up from
the good drive, this bad drive doesn't give a drive letter. I
believe therefore that the drive is OK (motor, interface) but it must
really be scrambled.

Can anyone point me to a good recovery tool - one that is not a
fortune, good success rate and easy to use ? I don't think it's ready
for a $1000 + clean room service yet.

Thanks in advance.
1 answer Last reply
More about please recommend data recovery tool

    No drive letter means the partition table was unreadable or corrupt.

    You should start by looking for errors in eventvwr (start/run) and disk
    management.

    <sas@anywhere.com> wrote in message
    > I have a drive that shows up in the bios and spins. When placed in a
    > machine with a good drive and good O/S it slows the machine startup
    > down for what seems to be an eternity. When XP finally comes up from
    > the good drive, this bad drive doesn't give a drive letter. I
    > believe therefore that the drive is OK (motor, interface) but it must
    > really be scrambled.
    >
    > Can anyone point me to a good recovery tool - one that is not a
    > fortune, good success rate and easy to use ? I don't think it's ready
    > for a $1000 + clean room service yet.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

Data Recovery Storage