No Display Listed, Using VgaSave - Not Good

May 18, 2004 8:30:30 AM

(copy posted to *.hardware, as well)

I recently purchased a new video card, and made a few mistakes during
installation. So, I uninstalled the drivers that I had installed, but
in the process also uninstalled the basic Windows video drivers,
proprietary to the on-board chip-set (assuming there is one, but I'll
get to that).

The "Display" option in the Hardware Manager has disappeared, and the
"Display" option in the control panel can tell me nothing, other than
that my video is currently running on VgaSave, which doesn't seem to
manage any specific hardware.

The HP site is as useless as I expected - a set of very basic video
drivers is available, but you have to know which chip you have on the
motherboard in order to use them ... and the HP site lists this model
as having no on-board video, thus no chip to specify in the hardware
wizard. The HP software installation just dumped the drivers into a
directory, and told me to tell the Hardware Wizard to look there ...
but again, I need to know what to tell it, as there's no .inf file
with those drivers to guide Windows.

The video card is sitting in the AGP slot, being ignored by Windows in
repeated re-boots (so much for P&P). I can't force windows to
acknowlege it, or the old video card when I swap them. Attempting to
install the drivers with the installation CD is not accomplashing
anything, I just get "Installation Aborted" type messages.

Restoring defaults in the BIOS accomplished nothing, and I've seen
various warnings against disabling the VgaSave. Attempting to use
NVidia's reference driver installation program (downloaded)
accomplished nothing, as well.

Any ideas as to, first, getting a basic display driver listed in the
Hardware Manager?

The computer is a Pavillion A350e, motherboard ASUS A7N8X-LA, the
video card is an ASUS V9570TD, replacing an NVidia fx 5200.

Thanks for any help,

Kurt Montandon
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 3:25:02 PM

a) Try System Restore to a point BEFORE you uninstall the basic drivers

b) Try a System File Check to reinstall any corrupted or missing system
files - from the command prompt, type
sfc /scannow
(note space between the c and the /)

c) Try a Repair Installation of XP.
--
Cari
www.coribright.com
"Kurt Montandon" <kmmontandon@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> (copy posted to *.hardware, as well)
>
> I recently purchased a new video card, and made a few mistakes during
> installation. So, I uninstalled the drivers that I had installed, but
> in the process also uninstalled the basic Windows video drivers,
> proprietary to the on-board chip-set (assuming there is one, but I'll
> get to that).
>
> The "Display" option in the Hardware Manager has disappeared, and the
> "Display" option in the control panel can tell me nothing, other than
> that my video is currently running on VgaSave, which doesn't seem to
> manage any specific hardware.
>
> The HP site is as useless as I expected - a set of very basic video
> drivers is available, but you have to know which chip you have on the
> motherboard in order to use them ... and the HP site lists this model
> as having no on-board video, thus no chip to specify in the hardware
> wizard. The HP software installation just dumped the drivers into a
> directory, and told me to tell the Hardware Wizard to look there ...
> but again, I need to know what to tell it, as there's no .inf file
> with those drivers to guide Windows.
>
> The video card is sitting in the AGP slot, being ignored by Windows in
> repeated re-boots (so much for P&P). I can't force windows to
> acknowlege it, or the old video card when I swap them. Attempting to
> install the drivers with the installation CD is not accomplashing
> anything, I just get "Installation Aborted" type messages.
>
> Restoring defaults in the BIOS accomplished nothing, and I've seen
> various warnings against disabling the VgaSave. Attempting to use
> NVidia's reference driver installation program (downloaded)
> accomplished nothing, as well.
>
> Any ideas as to, first, getting a basic display driver listed in the
> Hardware Manager?
>
> The computer is a Pavillion A350e, motherboard ASUS A7N8X-LA, the
> video card is an ASUS V9570TD, replacing an NVidia fx 5200.
>

> Thanks for any help,
>

> Kurt Montandon
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 2:33:07 PM

I have decided to put this on as many forums and posts as possible as I
searched for a full day on trying to aleviate the vgasave problem, from
microsoft to everywhere i could not find a solution. I had the restore,
save mode, vga mode and even the hammer at the ready. Your system
requires you to update the agp driver from the ms default driver (which
places you in vgasave). load in your M Board drivers, i.e for me the via
4 in 1 drivers solved my problem, hope this helps

--
meeeee
November 14, 2004 3:04:00 AM

In you original post, did you mention that your support chipset was a VIA
chipset?
(Half baked information leads to half baked conclusions.)