Does Promise Fasttrak 100 TX4 support 48-bit LBA?

dt

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004

Does the Promise Fasttrak 100 TX4 card support 48-bit LBA disk
addressing (ie, discs > 137GB)?

I emailed Promise tech support this question, and while waiting for a
reply found a link to:
http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productId=15&category=All&os=100

....which sure sounds like they have a BIOS upgrade for the FT 100 that
supports 48-bit.

HOWEVER, I then got a reply from Promise tech support saying they
DON'T support 48-bit: "Hi Sorry but we do not have 48 Bit LBA bios
support for the FT100
TX4."

So now I'm really confused!

I wonder if the link I found is ONLY for the Fasttrak 100 (and not for
the FT 100 TX4), or is Promise tech support just full of it?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

DT

this is the link that you want for your hardware:-

http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productId=16&category=bios&os=100

there is no newer BIOS listed so it presumably does not support 48-bit LBA
as their reply stated.

"Piers James" <nospan-p13rs.xray.jam3s@v1rg1n.ten-nospam> wrote in message news:ex8Sc.1953$6m.961@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
> this is the link that you want for your hardware:-
>
> http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productId=16&category=bios&os=100
>
> there is no newer BIOS listed so it presumably does not support 48-bit LBA
> as their reply stated.

The FT100TX4 is an abomination.
It is actually 2 (up to the last component) FT100 TX2s on one card.

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid:2v0e9.21037$Dr5.86368@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

You can try and update the TX4 with the TX2 bios. If necessary, you
can use the flash program that comes with the TX4 initial release bios.

> "dt" <dathom@npsinc.com> wrote in message news:5218faf1.0408100637.7bf3ddde@posting.google.com...
> > Does the Promise Fasttrak 100 TX4 card support 48-bit LBA disk
> > addressing (ie, discs > 137GB)?
> >
> > I emailed Promise tech support this question, and while waiting for a
> > reply found a link to:
> >
> http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productId=15&category=All&os=100
> >
> > ...which sure sounds like they have a BIOS upgrade for the FT 100 that
> > supports 48-bit.
> >
> > HOWEVER, I then got a reply from Promise tech support saying they
> > DON'T support 48-bit: "Hi Sorry but we do not have 48 Bit LBA bios
> > support for the FT100
> > TX4."
> >
> > So now I'm really confused!
> >
> > I wonder if the link I found is ONLY for the Fasttrak 100 (and not for
> > the FT 100 TX4), or is Promise tech support just full of it?
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > DT

Oops! umsgid: should be umsgid=