atom

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004

My computer started all of a sudden not booting windows, it would
start to load windows xp and all of a sudden reboot and just cycle
over and over again. Got a new drive ,reinstalled everything, hooked
up the problem drive on the slave and it did the same thing. I put it
in an external usb2/firewire case and it does the same thing when I
connect the drive - just reboot the computer before the drive shows up
in windows explorer. It would be nice to get my data off the drive.
It's only about 14 months old, so this puzzles me.
I would appreciate any help, I don't know that else to do.

thanks

cjt

atom wrote:

> My computer started all of a sudden not booting windows, it would
> start to load windows xp and all of a sudden reboot and just cycle
> over and over again. Got a new drive ,reinstalled everything, hooked
> up the problem drive on the slave and it did the same thing. I put it
> in an external usb2/firewire case and it does the same thing when I
> connect the drive - just reboot the computer before the drive shows up
> in windows explorer. It would be nice to get my data off the drive.
> It's only about 14 months old, so this puzzles me.
> I would appreciate any help, I don't know that else to do.
>
> thanks

It probably has autorun files on it (most likely as a result of being
infected by a virus) that force a reboot. Can you boot to a command
line (off a rescue floppy if necessary) and delete the autorun.exe,
autorun.inf and autorun.ini files?

There's probably a way to defeat the autorun feature, too, but I don't
know it (I'm not really a Windows person) -- you might be able to
Google some additional ideas.

atom

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 02:17:58 GMT, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:

>atom wrote:
>
>> My computer started all of a sudden not booting windows, it would
>> start to load windows xp and all of a sudden reboot and just cycle
>> over and over again. Got a new drive ,reinstalled everything, hooked
>> up the problem drive on the slave and it did the same thing. I put it
>> in an external usb2/firewire case and it does the same thing when I
>> connect the drive - just reboot the computer before the drive shows up
>> in windows explorer. It would be nice to get my data off the drive.
>> It's only about 14 months old, so this puzzles me.
>> I would appreciate any help, I don't know that else to do.
>>
>> thanks
>
>It probably has autorun files on it (most likely as a result of being
>infected by a virus) that force a reboot. Can you boot to a command
>line (off a rescue floppy if necessary) and delete the autorun.exe,
>autorun.inf and autorun.ini files?
>
>There's probably a way to defeat the autorun feature, too, but I don't
>know it (I'm not really a Windows person) -- you might be able to
>Google some additional ideas.

I got a bootdisk that let me see what files are on the drive, but not
delete them or copy them. There weren't any autorun files in the root
directory.
Maybe I could get a bootdisk that would let me copy everything off the
drive, and then format it and see if the hardware is still functional.
Anybody know of somewhere I could get something like that?

cjt

atom wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 02:17:58 GMT, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:
>

>>atom wrote:
>>

>>>My computer started all of a sudden not booting windows, it would
>>>start to load windows xp and all of a sudden reboot and just cycle
>>>over and over again. Got a new drive ,reinstalled everything, hooked
>>>up the problem drive on the slave and it did the same thing. I put it
>>>in an external usb2/firewire case and it does the same thing when I
>>>connect the drive - just reboot the computer before the drive shows up
>>>in windows explorer. It would be nice to get my data off the drive.
>>>It's only about 14 months old, so this puzzles me.
>>>I would appreciate any help, I don't know that else to do.
>>>
>>>thanks
>>
>>It probably has autorun files on it (most likely as a result of being
>>infected by a virus) that force a reboot. Can you boot to a command
>>line (off a rescue floppy if necessary) and delete the autorun.exe,
>>autorun.inf and autorun.ini files?
>>
>>There's probably a way to defeat the autorun feature, too, but I don't
>>know it (I'm not really a Windows person) -- you might be able to
>>Google some additional ideas.
>

> I got a bootdisk that let me see what files are on the drive, but not
> delete them or copy them. There weren't any autorun files in the root
> directory.

I'm surprised. Might they be hidden?

> Maybe I could get a bootdisk that would let me copy everything off the
> drive, and then format it and see if the hardware is still functional.
> Anybody know of somewhere I could get something like that?

Ghost would copy the drive -- it boots from a floppy.

atom

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 21:17:35 GMT, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:

>atom wrote:

>>>It probably has autorun files on it (most likely as a result of being
>>>infected by a virus) that force a reboot. Can you boot to a command
>>>line (off a rescue floppy if necessary) and delete the autorun.exe,
>>>autorun.inf and autorun.ini files?
>>>
>>>There's probably a way to defeat the autorun feature, too, but I don't
>>>know it (I'm not really a Windows person) -- you might be able to
>>>Google some additional ideas.
>>

>> I got a bootdisk that let me see what files are on the drive, but not
>> delete them or copy them. There weren't any autorun files in the root
>> directory.
>
>I'm surprised. Might they be hidden?
>
>> Maybe I could get a bootdisk that would let me copy everything off the
>> drive, and then format it and see if the hardware is still functional.
>> Anybody know of somewhere I could get something like that?
>
>Ghost would copy the drive -- it boots from a floppy.

do you know of any virus scanners or anything that would let me delete
the virus if there is one, that run from a bootable floppy? Would
ghost let me copy individual files off the drive to another drive? I
don't have an extra 160gb drive handy and it seems if I cloned the
drive, it would copy whatever's fouling the thing up also.

thanks for your help

peter

You need to have such a second drive (160GB) to efficiently work on your
problem.
Borrow, purchase/return or borrow another computer with that much of disk
space.
Ghost your failing/infected disk to image on the second disk or share on
another computer.
Reformat/reinstall OS on your primary disk. Use Ghost explorer to recover
files from the image (don't forget to install security patches and antivirus
before that).

"atom" <n/a> wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 21:17:35 GMT, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:
>
> >atom wrote:

> >> I got a bootdisk that let me see what files are on the drive, but not
> >> delete them or copy them. There weren't any autorun files in the root
> >> directory.
> >
> >I'm surprised. Might they be hidden?
> >
> >> Maybe I could get a bootdisk that would let me copy everything off the
> >> drive, and then format it and see if the hardware is still functional.
> >> Anybody know of somewhere I could get something like that?
> >
> >Ghost would copy the drive -- it boots from a floppy.
>
> do you know of any virus scanners or anything that would let me delete
> the virus if there is one, that run from a bootable floppy? Would
> ghost let me copy individual files off the drive to another drive? I
> don't have an extra 160gb drive handy and it seems if I cloned the
> drive, it would copy whatever's fouling the thing up also.
>
> thanks for your help

It is not likely a virus. It could be explorer preview mode. Autorun is
impossible from fixed drives.

Do not open explorer. Run command prompt then chkdsk (without options). Let it
fix minor problems. Major corruption is handled with other tools. You may have
to boot to safe mode - command prompt.

"atom" <n/a> wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 21:17:35 GMT, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:
>
> do you know of any virus scanners or anything that would let me delete
> the virus if there is one, that run from a bootable floppy? Would
> ghost let me copy individual files off the drive to another drive? I
> don't have an extra 160gb drive handy and it seems if I cloned the
> drive, it would copy whatever's fouling the thing up also.

atom

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004

It gets stranger, I took the drive enclosure to the office and plugged
it in to the 3 windows xp computers there and it worked fine, ran
chkdsk and fixed errors, it found 3725024 kb in bad sectors.
Took it home and it still reboots the computer when it is detected by
the system.
I guess I'll get a new HD and image it over at the office, is this
drive totally shot? Ithink I can get maxtor to cover it under
warranty, it was made in may 03.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Maybe the NTLDR file is corrupted. If seen that once, it's really
surprising. You might want to try to restore it.

Nick

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:22:10 -0700, atom <n/a> wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 21:17:35 GMT, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:
>
>>atom wrote:

>>> I got a bootdisk that let me see what files are on the drive, but not
>>> delete them or copy them. There weren't any autorun files in the root
>>> directory.
>>
>>I'm surprised. Might they be hidden?
>>
>>> Maybe I could get a bootdisk that would let me copy everything off the
>>> drive, and then format it and see if the hardware is still functional.
>>> Anybody know of somewhere I could get something like that?
>>
>>Ghost would copy the drive -- it boots from a floppy.
>
>do you know of any virus scanners or anything that would let me delete
>the virus if there is one, that run from a bootable floppy? Would
>ghost let me copy individual files off the drive to another drive? I
>don't have an extra 160gb drive handy and it seems if I cloned the
>drive, it would copy whatever's fouling the thing up also.
>
>thanks for your help

cjt

atom wrote:

> It gets stranger, I took the drive enclosure to the office and plugged
> it in to the 3 windows xp computers there and it worked fine, ran
> chkdsk and fixed errors, it found 3725024 kb in bad sectors.
> Took it home and it still reboots the computer when it is detected by
> the system.
> I guess I'll get a new HD and image it over at the office, is this
> drive totally shot? Ithink I can get maxtor to cover it under
> warranty, it was made in may 03.

That is pretty strange. And it highlights one of the big problems
with Windows, as compared to *ix -- there's (AFAIK) no log file for
you to look at to help figure out what's happening, like there
probably would be in the alternatives.

What do you think eventvwr is?

Eric Gisin wrote:

> What do you think eventvwr is?

a joke?

> "CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>
>>That is pretty strange. And it highlights one of the big problems
>>with Windows, as compared to *ix -- there's (AFAIK) no log file for
>>you to look at to help figure out what's happening, like there
>>probably would be in the alternatives.

And you are a idiot troll, right?

Eric Gisin wrote:

> And you are a idiot troll, right?

If you think eventvwr is worthwhile, I think that's its own
form of idiocy.

> "CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>
>>Eric Gisin wrote:
>>

>>>What do you think eventvwr is?
>>
>>a joke?
>>

>>>"CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message

It is pretty obvious that eventvwr provides useful information about storage
driver errors. Claiming that it does not is insane.

atom <n/a> wrote in message news:<ksnih05uffahuoamf88jckc5bb4mboooi0@4ax.com>...
> My computer started all of a sudden not booting windows, it would
> start to load windows xp and all of a sudden reboot and just cycle
> over and over again. Got a new drive ,reinstalled everything, hooked
> up the problem drive on the slave and it did the same thing. I put it
> in an external usb2/firewire case and it does the same thing when I
> connect the drive - just reboot the computer before the drive shows up
> in windows explorer. It would be nice to get my data off the drive.
> It's only about 14 months old, so this puzzles me.
> I would appreciate any help, I don't know that else to do.
>
> thanks

I had the same problem with an external drive I bought. I did some
searching and I found a fix. Not sure if it will work for your problem
but I though I'd try. Goto www.high-rely.com go to their faq, look for
techinical support issues at the top on one of them talks about blue
screen on boot.

atom

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004

Thanks to everyone for the help... I got a new drive (seagate, so
quiet) and copied everything I needed over to it at a different
computer. It had some files in hidden .chk folders that I guess
checkdisk found that were corrupted or whatever, is there any way of
recovering them or should I just ditch them?

Thanks